SPF Reform Proposals and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoMule for 1.07 was fixed by mattinm 5+ years ago, but I don' t think anyone ever found the original author to get permissions. And then it just kind of died.

If @Timinator 's contact is not correct, silospen (GoMules' writer) has a twitter account using that name; I have tried to contact him years ago but he never responded, probably because we were never friends in real life.

Ok, so I haven't posted my opinions on this yet, but in the thread that pharphis posted, mattinm at one point listed his Gmail address. If he is anything like me, I've had the same Gmail for years. It may be worth while to send an email and see if the email account is still active. If it is, he may be able to provide the personal version of Go mule that he developed and if we are working towards changing the forum rules maybe we can utilize his updated version of go mule that works with prior versions. As far as I'm aware he never posted this updated version that would work with 1.07 and 1.09. But at this point anything may be worthwhile.

Quote from that thread:
My email is marshall (dot) mattingly (at) gmail (dot) com

P.S. Please don't all flood the email address, maybe one person should nicely ask for the updated go mule, who wants to volunteer?

Can we get an explicit comment on how people feel about coloring gems? In the following post before we slightly spoke about it but due to all the other stuff going on, we didn't get many people commenting on the gems. Some people said cosmetic changes are ok but not everyone had a chance to comment. Due note, I'm only asking for coloring gems, however the decision for this should be about allowing cosmetic changes for items since some people have color blindness/difficultiness, and thus they should be able to change their colors on their own machines/screens depending on what type of difficultiness they have. For example Singling would contain a default gem color as dark green, however, if the person in question has difficulty seeing rare items, unique items, set items, magic items, etc, they should be able to customize the color of drops as they see fit (or if they just really don't like the colors provided).

You can read the posts related to not only coloring gems here:

https://www.purediablo.com/forums/t...als-and-discussion.960385/page-5#post-8826841

Basically the reasons in favor of this are:

- Diablo II doesn't have a loot filter and thus coloring Runes as we currently do is helpful, but do to a lot of crafting recipes and other needs, Gems are valuable as well and should be colored as well. This would be a quality of life improvement similar to the cosmetic change for the Runes.

- Some people have difficulty with colors (Accessibility: Color Blindness or Color Difficultiness). If approved Singling will have the Gems colored as dark green as to not conflict with Green items which are set items.

A preview of what this looks like (screenshot doesn't include Skulls but those also are a type of gem):

Ha74Rfw.jpg

E3dOslj.jpg

Diablo II doesn't have many open colors available. Purple is available however through testing I found out that Purple is way too strong of a color and dark green is pretty smooth on the eyes. It is very noticeable when a dark green gem drops in different environments (Even grassy terrains).

Last edited:
Current-patch D2 natively shows colored runes and I think anything more is just starting to hack the game in an undesirable way IMO. It might be just for convenience but it's still altering the game and I'm against that tbh. I know RRM was allowed before runes were colored in D2, but I think that should be it. Between white items such as gems even colorblindness doesn't make a difference at all within the game as intended. Yes it might be different for distinguishing S&Us, rares and blues in individual cases, but so far I haven't seen anyone really complaining about it. @TheNix was the only one who mentioned it but he also stated it's not a significant disadvantage IIRC. In case someone is seriously disadvantaged maybe exceptions can be made on an individual case by case basis IMO. But I'm against altering the game just for convenience or based on how useful certain item types are.

@ffs Thanks for the feedback. As long as exceptions can be made for people that really need it I'm ok with that. We could always revisit this change in the future if the community changes its mind for whatever reason.

@fearedbliss
I'm not against the colored gems - or charms for that matter. On the other hand, I agree there are certain advantages, especially during MFO or RFO or etc, and if people are uncomfortable with such changes, I am fine with that as well.

+1 for making exceptions for those who need them - but I don't know if there's anyone who does.
On that matter, I wouldn't be comfortable for the change if the only reason is that we might need it for some unknown individuals in the future.

Thanks for the input @Gynli, I'm glad to hear the thoughts of the community on this. It's definitely not a make or break type of quality of life improvement but might as well discuss anything in the open now before anything happens :). It's a pretty long thread already but if there are any other thoughts of things people want or don't want (Maybe things that are in the rules at the moment but people aren't comfortable with), now would be the time to discuss all of this.

EDIT: I copied this response from another thread where this came up in relation to me MPing but using map seed to mule (and character isolation):

"@Gynli The characters are easy to isolate with Bliss Version Switcher if that is a concern. I'm not going to be deleting my characters since the only different between myself and others is that I'm using Singling (which is FAM) and muling with map seed, vs people using Singling (or other types of FAM) and muling with GoMule/ATMA. I don't see the logic in preventing me from muling with map seed while other people can basically "cheat" by bypassing the Diablo II map re-rolls using GoMule/ATMA.

Currently the map seed is only allowed to be saved for recovery purposes only (Which is extremely vague since it doesn't say what -recovery purposes- means? Does it mean that you accidentally clicked a different button when you switched difficulty? Does it mean that you deleted your entire character and so you had to make a new character but you want the same map? Or that you copied your character back from a backup but it had a different seed and you want to get back to where you were? Does it mean you were muling and then you lost the map and wanted to recover it? (It most likely doesn't mean the last but this could logically fall in that category)."

Last edited:
@fearedbliss

i'll continue this here.

On the rule it says
-seed
A way to recover lost maps. This should rarely be used and should always be declared. The only acceptable use is for recovering maps which are accidentally lost and if used correctly...

Saving a seed for muling purpoes is not an accidental loss. I understand where you are coming from in terms of using GoMule and not using it, and I don't mean to argue whether the rules are what they should be. I'm merely stating the fact that what you are doing is definitely against the current rules.

Whether you can/do perfectly isolate chars that do use map seed or not is out of my reach, so I just wanted to let @Dezrok know he is at risk of being tainted.

Also, I am not a mod so I cannot give you a ruling, but historically, any tainted items and chars against the rules were straight up asked to be deleted.

Last edited:
@Gynli Yup I understand what you mean and that you aren't arguing me, I wasn't thinking you were from your tone :). I also know that the map seed for muling isn't allowed, but as I said, I'm not deleting my character simply because of that. I worked _just as hard_ as anyone else on the forums that uses GoMule/ATMA. It would be unjust for the community to require deletions while at the same time hypocritically using GoMule/ATMA to avoid this exact same situation. If map seeds for muling isn't allowed, then people should be required to re-roll their maps manually after each time they use GoMule/ATMA to transfer items, basically to emulate the in game behavior of making a MP game, giving your items to another character, and returning back to whatever difficulty you were but with a new map.

@fearedbliss
That is a discussion for you and the mod when or if the time comes, and I hope you come to an agreement. In the end though, it is ultimately up to the mod for the final decision.

I respect that you are trying to change the rules to what you think is better for the forum. I just think you should at least follow the current rules before you suggest changing them.

@Gynli I do follow all the rules, except for the muling one because I don't use ATMA/GoMule. I'm not going to follow an unjust rule, and that's why I'm trying to change it. If I will MP with people, I will isolate those characters from scratch just for this specific muling thing.

@Gynli I do follow all the rules, except for the muling one because I don't use ATMA/GoMule. I'm not going to follow an unjust rule, and that's why I'm trying to change it. If I will MP with people, I will isolate those characters from scratch just for this specific muling thing.

I try to follow the rules too. I like playing untwinked. I only use the infinite stash addition of PlugY (and ladder-only runewords & items). No free respecs (though haven't taken them out of the .cfg file) or so. Just this litte help. :) Of course, if I go MP or so, I will adjust my gameplay to the party's ruleset. I am all in for PlugY though I understand it can be used to cheat up the chars (like putting +10 skill points on each lvl :p ). Maybe create a SPF-sanctioned plugy cfg file? The safe to use and legit way to include plugy?

HC/SC - no. They were always different in game. It should stay this way.

@RadTang I created a fork of PlugY that removed all of the stuff that the SPF would reject (Things like free respects, uber, etc). I also improved the architecture of the program so that programmers could potentially update the mod to 1.14+ easier. However, I don't recommend nor encourage anyone to use it simply because of what I said before with applications like GoMule/ATMA, etc. The bigger the mod, the harder it is to maintain and update. It also prevents you from updating to the latest version of the game because you are now dependent on that application. It is easier to maintain smaller modifications and it also easier to update smaller modifications to the new version. That's one of the reasons Singling is a good thing since it not only consolidated it to only the approved modifications the SPF allows (Which thankfully isn't THAT many), some improvements to the core technologies (Like the window not automatically minimizing when you click out, or CPU usage problems), but also because if 1.15 comes out, it wouldn't be that difficult for Singling to be updated to that and for the SPF members to easily move over to 1.15. If people used PlugY or lets say Blizzard made a file format game breaking change, nobody in the SPF that uses PlugY/ATMA/GoMule would be able to update because if they did, they wouldn't be able to use those applications. They effectively locked themselves to an old version without the choice of moving forward.. unless they manually moved all of their items back into mules and then forwarded it all. It's a bad situation to be in both as a player and as a programmer. That's why I avoid all of these fundamental/big type of mods.

@RadTang I created a fork of PlugY that removed all of the stuff that the SPF would reject (Things like free respects, uber, etc). I also improved the architecture of the program so that programmers could potentially update the mod to 1.14+ easier.

Thanks. Will check it out. I am using PlugY as it comes with D2SE (other mod - not discussed here) which acts as a convenient launcher for 1.07-1.13c D2 LoD and quite a lot of mods. Also, comes with PlugY and Glide wrapper so there's no problems with setting it up :)

As of 1.14+, the need for Glide wrapper has declined though pre-1.14 playerbase might find it useful. Don't know if the Glide wrapper works for the other versions than 1.13c though.

Edit: Does Gardenia work with other versions than 1.09c ?

Last edited:
@RadTang Well like I said, I don't endorse it and I don't actively talk about this fork, I just brought it up as a way to let you know that even if people did remove things from PlugY, I don't think you should use it not from a moral or ethical perspective, but more from a technological and maintainability perspective. So definitely don't take what I said as me advocating for the usage of it, I don't even use my own fork, I did it primarily to learn about the PlugY architecture and because originally I thought it was a good idea, but after I actually finished it, it didn't feel like the right product for people to actually use.

GlideWrapper works for all versions and the game will never look as good as it does with GlideWrapper unless Blizzard does significant work to change the way GDI/DirectDraw/Direct3D renders stuff. GlideWrapper allows the game to look way brighter, the colors are more saturated and they pop more, and there is also perspective. In Direct3D, D2 (Even in 1.14) looks very dark, and not in a good way. Like it looks more like my monitor has low brightness. With GlideWrapper it looks bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High