OT: The Daily Thread

I absolutely love Catan. We don't get to play it much though, as it takes up to 3 hours to complete for us (5 players, Cities & Knights expansion), which, even if we do have the time, the kids often find too long.

Other than that Carcasonne with some expansions, Pick-omino (also with expansion), Camel Up (very fun game to play with a large group), Risk, ...

Splendor is a pretty good non-typical game that is pretty fun, if you're looking for another.

(Ninja'd by @coju )

@coju get an RNG box (Dragonbone) or entropy tower... never have to blame a lousy roll on yourself again...;)

I always enjoyed Axis and Allies for a boardgame... or Battletech, especially with MechWarrior to RP your pilots... fun times...

RL: Had a rough day at work, but it's over. At least for me.

D2: Thinking about starting a character for the untwinked 99. Still deciding between classes. Need to do some research as far as running WSK+Baal/Diablo.

RL: Buying a house today.
Life has been really hectic lately with that, planning for renovations, work etc. Really starting to feel the effect of lack of rest/freetime. On top of that there have been quite a few nights where our daughter have awoken in he middle of the night.

RL: ran the half marathon in a new PR, by far: 1:26:19. Well according to my watch in exactly 1:26, and then some more distance until the finish :). If it would have been a half marathon on paved road, completely flat, all the time, I would have succeeded in 1:24, maybe even a little bit below. I'm definitely very pleasantly surprised with that, as I was going for a time of 1:28. But circumstances were perfect (dry, cold, almost no mud on the off road parts), shape was optimal and I had a pacer, a friend of mine who's faster but had a personal coach telling me he shouldn't run at 100%, with the schedule he is following for his next marathon in mind.

So yeah, I'm thrilled with that result obviously. I still feel the adrenaline flow whenever I think back about it. Which is a lot :). Now 1 week of recovery, then a 69K trail run on Sunday.

D2: nothing. I do think I finally figured out how to set up my phone as a mobile hotspot and then connect my computer to it, so I can finally participate in our group game again. So here's hoping I can join the rest next Monday.

OVG: revisited another platformer from my Steam catalogue: Mark of the Ninja. Side scrolling stealth game. Absolutely brilliant, I can highly recommend it. I plan to replay some zones again for the achievements, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do so before next Friday, when I plan to jump into S19 for D3.

@T72on1 Mucho grats on the half-marathon ! I myself ran an half-marathon on the road under 1h30; I made 1h29m35s four years ago. No super great of a time, but I’m kind of stocky (1,78m, 100kg, and I’m not fat), so I was proud of myself. I even started trail running seriously after that (one of my best friend is a massive ultra trail runner, and he got me into it at the time), but kids got in the way (I got two now, 5 and 3 yo). So running was a bit lower on my priority list. I still run very regularly, mostly for commuting (and a one long run per week). I plan to go in the mountain this weekend for the first time in a long while though, to get my butt kicked real good !

Anyway, I understand what you need to do to achieve the time you got; you’re at least two or three notch above me, that’s for sure. Grats again !

There's no above you. We are all doing our best as non-professionals :) . Besides, 1:30 is fast in my opinion.

I tuned down my time spent on sports when the kids were that age as well. You will find more time again eventually.

My sister used to be a world class distance runner. She was on the us women's national cross country team for a number of years. As a high school freshman she was fifth in the nation in the mile. I remember one year she decided to run the Los Angeles marathon the day before, just as a training run, and she ended up the seventh woman finisher. Just a training run.

RL: currently still freaking about the change over to an erp system accounting wise. Get to visit Maryland either start of December or January.

D2: nope

OVG: picked up the definitive edition of AOE II. Love that the new civs are all horse based. Horses rule before the gun. Not very thrilled about 4 because was expecting a World War I/II set which would have been amazing.

Also, the new Pokémon is calling me. Debating between sword and shield. Will probably pick up during holiday season. Community day was good as I got one in the middle of mandatory overtime.

RL: Finally up to date on UFC. The DM was away for D&D so my friend stepped in for a 'one-shot' as a first time DM, and she did great. I said I would like to run something to give our Forever DM a break and I think we'll probably end up with alternating campaigns each week. Most of the Xmas shopping is already done. Work is exactly the same.

D2: Haven't given it much time recently.

OVG: Messing around with modded Minecraft.

D2: Actually been playimg a lot the past few days. My whirlwind barb, Dizzy, had ridiculous luck a couple years ago when I started some Trav runs. Jah and Cham within 24 hours of each other, and crap since then. I fired him up again to see if Trav would be generous. Naturally it wasn't. Went and did a Baal run, meticulously clearing every level, taking down the waves at /p8, killed Baal at p/3, and as I was running around picking up the minuscule amounts of gold around the Worldstone Keep, my pc decided to reboot for a Windows update. So I lost the XP, got angry, and have been doing
/p8 Pindle runs since. No great finds, some socketables, a Highlord's, an amulet of teleportation. The best part was going through some old stashes and finding a Cham and two Vexes I'd forgotten about.

At this pace, I figure Dizzy is two days away from level 94. We'll see.

My sister used to be a world class distance runner. She was on the us women's national cross country team for a number of years. As a high school freshman she was fifth in the nation in the mile. I remember one year she decided to run the Los Angeles marathon the day before, just as a training run, and she ended up the seventh woman finisher. Just a training run.

Yeah, my daughter (not world class, but competitive at the state level) decided to run a half last year that I had been working towards all year. She decided nearly last minute to run it also and blew by my time (a couple minute PR at that) by 7-8 minutes and won her age group.

There's no above you. We are all doing our best as non-professionals :) . Besides, 1:30 is fast in my opinion.

I tuned down my time spent on sports when the kids were that age as well. You will find more time again eventually.

1:30 is crazy fast. I've been primarily running halves for 7 years and haven't broken into the 1:30s yet. The problem with eventually is you're older. Though if you don't get too hung up on time, its still fun. Not to mention, working out with your kids and even getting beaten by them is pretty cool. Still, my daughter is taking a break from running races, I'm thinking of looking for a nice downhill half and stealing back the "family record" before she picks it back up again and leaves me in the dust permanently (and by the looks of it, she'll be followed by a couple more daughters too).

@jjscud I think that I haven’t competed in the last few years not only because I had children, but also because I don’t care as much about the time anymore, as you said. I was a bit more into ‘’achieving’’ a time in my 20s, but not really anymore. Running is for fun, it’s a labor of love. That doesn’t mean you don’t care about your training, it’s just a different relation to performance : performance is not the ultimate goal anymore. That’s the spirit of trail running, in a sense (at least for some); since every race is different, even when they cover the same distance, time is not as important. I guess I’m getting wiser, or older at least... :p

RL: the 69K trail run this Sunday was a typical example of how ultra runs often turn out to be. I started really well, but halfway through I got issues with my stomach and pain in my left hip. The stomach is something that happens almost every time, as I don't have the strongest stomach to begin with. The hip is something that usually only happens after we have taken a break at one of the checkpoints, and it needs to sort of warm up again. This time was different, and I had a really tough time prior to the third checkpoint, at the 48K mark. It went as far as me telling myself I was done with ultrarunning for a while, and I'd focus on short races instead.

And then there was soup :). Worked wonders for me at this year's Zugspitz ultratrail, and did it again. The soup calmed down my stomach entirely, which was upset by all the sweet stuff I had had up to that point. But surprisingly, also the hip got far better after the checkpoint, so much even that I almost had no issues at all anymore. Really strange, can't explain how and why, but luckily it was like that.

So by the time we crossed the finish line, it wasn't only a matter of 'hey, I could go on for another 10K if needed', but I had also almost forgotten the struggle again, and the plan to ditch ultrarunning. Thank god there's endorphins, I guess ;).

So yeah, all in all a very good and fun run, but a really hard time in the middle section. Even placed 230 out of 800+ participants (640 finishers), so not too bad for a run both my buddy and me went out to do slow and easy.

I do have some issues with my left achilles tendon now, but I hope that will be all solved in 3 weeks, when I want to run my last race of the year.

D2: nope. Still can't connect to BNet, so no weekly group game for me :(.

OVG: doing season 19 of D3. It's been quite some time since I played D3, but I got the itch to do so with the D4 announcement. I started out with a HC Crusader. The plan is to go for the new set, introduced in this patch. For now I'm still doing another build do, as the new set wasn't Haedrig's Gift. It has been fun so far, but I only hit level 70 yesterday evening, so it's all still quite new and fresh. I already had one close call, so I'll have to remind myself this is HC, something I haven't done in D3 for ages.

RL: work trip postponed to New Year’s Day. Waiting on numbers to do closing. At least I have systems now.....

D2: nope.

OVG: beat some rocket execs this weekend. Also picked up two cobralions. Not a bad day in Santa Monica. Also still playing torchlight ii (outlander in act ii) .

You are insane @T72on1 .. can you even walk after these races? I play sports once per week, and I am literally sore for 5 days. My wife seems to think I overdo it. But, there are two pain free days before I start over again. Her logic must be flawed somewhere..

RL: since my husband and I separated two months ago, things are starting to proceed with routines. We take turns with the kids, he will have them one week and I have them one. We are slowly splitting up the financial side as well. So far without too much fighting.
I found out today that my aching big toe is not because of Hallux Valgus (which is... hmm.. crooked toe? ) it turns out I have Hallux Rigidus which is an arthritis kind of thing. It is also operable but a little more complicated

D2: doing theBarb, berserk barbarian. I think I will hate him in Hell but let's do NM first... Also started once a gain a HC necro called DeadLarry. And, my plan is to next weekend when I dont' have the kids I will attempt a weekend warrior with a sorceress!! Exciting :)

OVG: does Hay day on mobile phone count?

You are insane @T72on1 .. can you even walk after these races? I play sports once per week, and I am literally sore for 5 days. My wife seems to think I overdo it. But, there are two pain free days before I start over again. Her logic must be flawed somewhere..

It's actually the contrary. Your muscles are sore because your body isn't trained enough.

When I started out with ultrarunning, I could hardly walk the days after a race. Now I'm a bit tired, muscles are a bit sore, but not much. I can walk just fine, and as a matter of fact often go for a walk the days after an ultra, to get some active recuperation going. The distance surely isn't an issue anymore. If my muscles are somewhat sore, it's in my upper legs, because I'm not used to altitude gain. Or better: a lot of descents, as that's what's hard on the upper legs.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High