MFO Summer 2022 Signups and Running Thread

This is my build. I really don't want to break this setup yet.

Mercenary Act 5, Dual Wield
Weapon: Grief + Phase Blade x6 Ist (180% MF)
Armor:
Skullder's Ire + PTopaz (139% MF)
Helm:
StealSkull + PTopaz (71% MF)

Mercenary Magic Find: 390%
Character Magic Find: 960%
Total Magic Find: 1350%

So, I am farming with 1350% MF and this is why it starts troubling me. I really have awful drops. The speed runs are not as fast as a Zerker but they are perfectly fine.
dont know about pits, but i get a S/U about every 5 to 10 runs at least, running pindle shenk and eldritch. rest is split about 50/50 magic and rares. I run 270 MF.
@Excalibur
My experience was about the same w/ @lizard;
so perhaps count the number of runs between drops for some while
and see if it's simply an unlucky streak of runs,
or if it's omg-this-has-to-be-bugged type of situation.

Ah it's a HC char, I get it now. Seemed odd to carry such a charm!

The most important metric is how much time does it take to kill a boss. That (and by extension: run times) is a much higher priority than MF or anything else really. It makes sense to gear for MF up to around ~500, at least personally that's what I try to always aim for as a benchmark on dedicated MF characters. But purely from an efficiency perspective, going above 500-600 MF should never ever come at the expense of run times, unless such effects are absolutely marginal.
Yes, I understand that and I agree. All I want to figure out right now is whether that MF stacks because in the end if we do the same amount of runs (even though it will take me more time) I am "supposed" to get more uniques which doesn't seem to happen.

if we do the same amount of runs (even though it will take me more time) I am "supposed" to get more uniques which doesn't seem to happen.
How do you conclude that? We don't know how many runs others do or what items or how many S&Us drop for them.

Also I'd try not to get caught up in magic/rare drops of item bases that potentially have a high score. For some reason we have people posting those "close calls" every MFO. :D But remember those really aren't close calls. It's normal that a Sacred Armor is not Tyrael's etc. They drop often, you just notice it more during MFO.

I start every run expecting absolutely nothing to drop, for me that does the trick. ;)

I know this would require intense testing and I am whining a lot right now :D it's just like I said
I was farming all day yesterday and it came to my observation that something is wrong backed-up by some posts I found which troubled me even more.

It's okay if I don't find anything as long as the game is working as intended otherwise my build is based in a completely wrong direction. :)

First 3 Days Update – Pindle+, A85 and Baal Categories

All updates are in except a few (and I think most of those folks had let me know they'd be gone the first weekend). Thanks to everyone who submitted so quickly, and I can update if others come in. We have close races in all three categories so far, so it should be exciting progress over the next week!

Pindle+
The leader has a little breathing room, but one drop could close the gap for sure. Current rankings (without information about point totals) is in the spoiler.
BBS_Agonistes
Silvio415
Triple Helix
lizard

A85
Similar to Pindle+, the leader has opened up a slight gap, but the next 6 are within striking distance. There will be lots of opportunities for movement up the leaderboard for our competitors as the top 5 scoring items get improved over the next week for all! Current rankings (without information about point totals) is in the spoiler.
ffs
PhineasB
Gynli
Trim
Nano
AntiRush
Zorohpjtr
Excalibur
D2(back from PR)DC
jimsfriend
little birdy (no score reported)

Baal
It's a bit of a slow start to the Baal category, and with the major scorers possible in this category, it's definitely anyone's race!
m4ke
Swamigoon
HanShotFirst
Arjan
maxicek, LouB, Kstil3227 (no score reported)

Last edited:
I see, I just never farmed much Pits before so I wanted to see how everyone's luck is since it's supposed to be one of the best areas.
The little farming I’ve done: a85 doesn’t drop nearly the qty as bosses and super uniques. (If this is what you are referring to) It isn’t fun for me to run those as I want items to shower like nm meph. Speaking of which, nm meph is my favorite to farm simply because the drops DROP!

@PhineasB Thanks for the update!
And good luck to everyone on the next half of the MFO. :)

I'm pleasantly surprised by my current ranking - there's definitely room for improvement.
But my goal for the next half of the MFO is simple: find that elusive 4os flail and monarch.
probably nearing combined 20 drop/cube fails so far... *complain* *grumble* 😒

P.S. OT: Question about gear setup for blizz sorc for untwinked 99.

I'm picking up all non-flawed gems to use them for rolling elite orbs for a 6-blizzard, though not necessarily with the 20 fcr.
Would the difference in performance - 6orb setup vs hoto setup - be worth the time spent rerolling for one?

Or, does anyone know a link to chances of rolling for one or some kind of comparison between the two?
There was a brief mention by @ffs (iirc) some long time ago,
and I recall something along the lines of 5~10% increase in damage of blizzard with the orb.

Didn’t hit the runs I wanted to today, but life happens. I’m still having fun, though!

4os flail and monarch should drop, Gynli!

I want to hit a good score for MFO, but also really would love to see Mara’s drop, Griffon's, a facet, Dracul’s (I have an *eth* pair 🥺), Verdungo’s, and maybe an SOJ or Bul Kathos ring?

Keep grinding, everyone! And I concur with coju: the Pits seem very dry in comparison to act end bosses, but crazy stuff can drop there.

Last edited:
Never did talk much about desires and goals this year, huh?

Shooting for 40+ hours to run, and so far I'm pleasantly on pace. Besides being ever hopeful for finding the item-which-must-not-be-named, I'd be stoked with a top 3 finish. I believe it unlikely, though. Nearly every choice I've made leading up to the event proper has put me further and further away from being successful on this year's leaderboard. Acting as the ever the plucky underdog, I'd like to see this new D2R FoHdin build prove its worth in some form.

As for my wish list with the more attainable stuff: Drac's for first-ever torches. Tal Rasha gear (only have masks & belts). Harle hat. Fathom & Nightwing's. Griffon's. Facets. Better War Trav's. And big rune drops, while totally unexpected, would be lovely.

So I guess I just want everything. 40 hours is plenty enough to earn it all, isn't it? :D
But my goal for the next half of the MFO is simple: find that elusive 4os flail and monarch.
Would the difference in performance - 6orb setup vs hoto setup - be worth the time spent rerolling for one?

If you have socket quests available to burn, a white flail from normal cows will be guaranteed to roll with 4os (or, better to cube white flails from here since they have 4:1 odds instead of alvl85 flails which have 6:1). Same with just about any monarch; only need an ilvl of 41+ for max sockets from Larzuk. If those quests are gone or are being saved for other things down the road, may those cube socket grinds conclude soon!

While I'm unable to contribute to the discussion on the difficulties of finding / rolling an orb of your desire, I'd bet the odds are more in favor of your untwinked character finding a Fathom before a perfect orb. Fathoms are pretty hard to beat as BiS on cold sorcs. But if you're doing mid-level PvP or simply looking for style points, I could see where your head's at.

Found an affix calculator if you wanna check it out? Can only assume it works as intended. :p

As one of the worst min-maxers in existence, grain of salt. But my opinion is that -- assuming you have the runes and are willing to use them -- creating a HotO now gives you a great weapon to use in the meantime while you continue to look for a godly replacement. HotO is an excellent all-rounder for all casters, and even the worst resists roll will help free up slots / inventory for other useful stuff. Holding out for something that may not show up for months/years sounds like a poor choice.

Got Home at 6 lat night after driving 500 miles so no real energy to play, but I did get in another 6 Baal runs. The minion waves have dropped only a single unique but Baal himself has dropped 9 set and 6 unique items, but only 2 have been low level qualifiers. On the other hand I'm well on the way to collect all the low level set items:eek:

@Trim
Now i'm thinking that ~5% comparison was for Fathom vs 6blizzard...
I'll just keep shooting for the +6 blizzard orb for that tiny boost on my chance at a BiS.

Failed yet another flail tonight, but found an eth Thresher.
And the game is teasing me for sure. Rolled 4os on first try. :unsure:

Also, the blizzy is a UT99er participant-to-be; so sadly no socket quests to burn.

Result of 3 Insight rolls :
Screenshot046.png

EDIT: @Trim. Thanks for the affix calculator link!
Using the 3x chippy/normal/flawless reroll cube recipe, the chances were...
1. +6 blizzard = ~1/60k
2. +6 blizzard / 10 fcr = ~1/1.8m
3. +6 blizzard / 20 fcr = ~1/2.1m
* Heavenly orb had a slightly better chance at rerolling due to lower qlvl.
* There is an equal chance of rolling 1 or 2 sockets with the recipe.

The drop rate for a Fathom at /p1 with 300mf at AT was 1/78k.
So yup, as you said, much better chance at a Fathom than a nice +6 blizzard. :oops:

Last edited:
2 non qualifiers in one run... happy enough to find those (and a tran guils claws) because I didn't have any of them
I thought those were qualifiers. They are in the list from the first post. Or do you mean they dropped from non-eligible monsters?

I thought those were qualifiers. They are in the list from the first post. Or do you mean they dropped from non-eligible monsters?
They dropped from packs in WSK level 2 and throne room but not from Baal or his 5 waves so they don’t count for my list

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High