MFO Summer 2022 Signups and Running Thread

I put in a lot of runs today. I'm slowly getting better at my pit map. Better teleport map and just understanding where packs are likely to spawn based on previous info. My runs are now in the low 70 second range, which I'm pretty happy with.

I found that Gheed's Fortune I was missing, too :). 36 MF.
My other favorite find from today is an eth Archon Staff. I'm sure a zod will drop soon and I can make a great botd.

This has been really fun so far - it's great to read about everyone's experiences.

Two runs, one qualifier dropped by the big dude himself. I use the add drop feature from the run counter to keep the drops that qualify from the rest. Needed that in those first two runs with 6 drops in total (3 on the way to throne room, 2 in Baal waves and 1 by the big man himself)

31 runs to go before I level up again… which still is the main reason for me to pick Baal

Update sent.

Best non-qualifiers so far were two runes:

Screenshot231.png
Screenshot235.png

As tempted as I am to Cham a Shako to improve this sorely underpowered Berserker, I think I'm gonna hold on to it for now... 99% of my D2R activity is HC, and the new Obsession runeword seems great for HC casters with that life bonus and not having to stat for Spirit.

The Lo went straight into a PB. Believe it or not, this pathetic roll is actually an upgrade for this character, with the previous Grief having rolled 359:

Screenshot236.png

Other drops:

Interesting claw for a WW Sin with 2os, high damage and other useful stats.

Screenshot211.png

This would have been a nice PvP circlet, of course it drops in D2R and HC..

Screenshot218.png
Screenshot223.png

Weekend results send to Phineas.

350 Pit runs with the live bnet FoHdin so far. May not sound like many compared to most, but considering I'm running random maps and I have no steady teleport source... there's been some serious energy expended to do that much.

Not much to speak of with non-qualifiers: no halfway decent runes; got a new ammy in a Saracen's Chance Seraph's Hymn (oops!); one skiller with +1 Warcries; three new small charms with a minimum of 5% MF thrown into the inventory for that small li'l boost to drops.

Must say. Hands. Hurting. My best friends for the next few days: 🚬 💊 🛌

But overall, I'm walking away from day three with a positive outlook and hopes for the remainder. Another week to go, and I still feel lucky! ...Just waiting for it to actually kick in... 🤞

Last edited:
Finished up for the weekend. Results sent. I'm well on my way to replenishing the ists I spent building some MF gear :). I even got 2 all-time grailers.

I was originally planning on going back to a p8 build after the weekend but I'm having a lot of fun. The last 10% of 94 and the first 10% of 95 felt very quick for p1 kill bosses only.

Round 1 of results sent!

I'm enjoying the process... just trying to pace myself mentally. Nothing interesting from a non-qualifier standpoint.

Reactions: Triple Helix
Well, the heart and mind turns out to be much more willing than the mouse arm.

Day 1: I ran long enough to find a couple TC 84s (about two hours).
Day 2: I didn't run at all in an attempt to recover from Day 1.
Day 3: I realized there was a reporting deadline and ran long enough to get three more items to fill out the score sheet ...

... so be prepared to be unimpressed. Also, as this is my first MFO, I may be doing this wrong. I get the impression that some people are keeping track of all the elite set/uniques that they find. I was only going to pick up stuff that seemed to have top five potential. Is there interest in everything found? Or only top five?

Finished up for the weekend, taking the Pit Necro from 91 to 94 at p5. Qualifiers were a bit disappointing, given >450MF, and a big dry streak at level 93-94. But some nice pickups were Vex, Ist and Pul from the chest, and a Pul and the Sur in open play.
Screenshot010.jpg
And he also ticked off my last non-TC3 eth normal unique in Goldskin for the eth grail :)

Will post the update tomorrow am before heading into work based on updates provided by then. Thanks all who've sent so far!

Last edited:
Results sent. Haven't been able to play as much as anticipated this weekend, but lots of fun waiting for what might drop next. So far, not as much as expected, but there's still a ways to go before the end!

Reactions: PhineasB
Well, the heart and mind turns out to be much more willing than the mouse arm.

Day 1: I ran long enough to find a couple TC 84s (about two hours).
Day 2: I didn't run at all in an attempt to recover from Day 1.
Day 3: I realized there was a reporting deadline and ran long enough to get three more items to fill out the score sheet ...

... so be prepared to be unimpressed. Also, as this is my first MFO, I may be doing this wrong. I get the impression that some people are keeping track of all the elite set/uniques that they find. I was only going to pick up stuff that seemed to have top five potential. Is there interest in everything found? Or only top five?
Only top 5 is needed for the MFO, so if you find an item that isn’t good enough to take a spot you don’t need to keep track of it.
Only reason I do it is because I always do. It’s a work thing (need to collect data, must have data to do stuff with).

I assume one GC is Gheeds but what is the other?
Also, you haven't farmed for Torch/anni yet or is there any other reason for not carrying one of those?

Lastly, whoever is farming at Pits I really would like some feedback. How often do you get uniques? I am super duper dissapointed so far. Apart from getting 3 qualifiers in the early runs I barely got anything else and that was several hours of farming. I even rarely get rares, seriously the whole screen is filled with blue items and it starts troubling whether the Mercenary's MF really stacks since he does all the kills or it's a new bug in D2R.

Googling it I found some others complaining about it too but no official statement.

Last edited:
@Excalibur
This was 2.4 ladder season online, so 2cents.
I had a singer barb that mainly ran pits; but I didn't have any problems dropping S/Us. Merc did all the killing, but had no extra mf on him. Insight, treachery, andy's visage iirc.

What is your merc wearing for him to have extra MF?
Would it be better - with or without the bug - to focus on killing speed for merc and MF on yourself?

As for my AT sorc in this MFO, I'd say she finds an S/U handful of runs at ~300mf; though mostly lower-end.

Reactions: Excalibur
I assume one GC is Gheeds but what is the other?
Also, you haven't farmed for Torch/anni yet or is there any other reason for not carrying one of those?

Lastly, whoever is farming at Pits I really would like some feedback. How often do you get uniques? I am super duper dissapointed so far. Apart from getting 3 qualifiers in the early runs I barely got anything else and that was several hours of farming. I even rarely get rares, seriously the whole screen is filled with blue items and it starts troubling whether the Mercenary's MF really stacks since he does all the kills or it's a new bug in D2R.

Googling it I found some others complaining about it too but no official statement.
dont know about pits, but i get a S/U about every 5 to 10 runs at least, running pindle shenk and eldritch. rest is split about 50/50 magic and rares. I run 270 MF.

Reactions: Excalibur
What is your merc wearing for him to have extra MF?
Would it be better - with or without the bug - to focus on killing speed for merc and MF on yourself?
This is my build. I really don't want to break this setup yet.

Mercenary Act 5, Dual Wield
Weapon: Grief + Phase Blade x6 Ist (180% MF)
Armor:
Skullder's Ire + PTopaz (139% MF)
Helm:
StealSkull + PTopaz (71% MF)

Mercenary Magic Find: 390%
Character Magic Find: 960%
Total Magic Find: 1350%

So, I am farming with 1350% MF and this is why it starts troubling me. I really have awful drops. The speed runs are not as fast as a Zerker but they are perfectly fine.

run 4... and one of my subgoals drops: Guillaume's face. Finally a big improvement for Cahir the barb with the angelic set

Reactions: Trim
@Excalibur the other GC is FR/life because I wanted to get a little more of both, I noticed FE bosses sometimes taking a little more of my life upon death than I'd like in HC. My MF charms are crap anyway.

Correct, I don't have anni/torch in HC yet. I have one SoJ which so far was more useful to me, and I don't have a Smiter yet in HC. The Paladin in this sept is intended to become one as soon as I find that damn green Vortex Shield so that I can finish his sept build first. :) Kinda hoping I'll get it during this MFO, I've had 5-6 magic/rares drop so far but not quite there yet. If I don't get it duing MFO, I'm considering building another Pally or run Ubers with some other HC-suitable build.

In any case I'll get around to it soon, and then respec this build anyway. Neither stats nor skill points are ideally distirbuted right now, and especially in HC it will probably take me a couple of respecs before I find the right balance between Berserk synergies, BO/howl levels with and damage output/AR as well as FI%.

So, I am farming with 1350% MF and this is why it starts troubling me. I really have awful drops. The speed runs are not as fast as a Zerker but they are perfectly fine.
The most important metric is how much time does it take to kill a boss. That (and by extension: run times) is a much higher priority than MF or anything else really. It makes sense to gear for MF up to around ~500, at least personally that's what I try to always aim for as a benchmark on dedicated MF characters. But purely from an efficiency perspective, going above 500-600 MF should never ever come at the expense of run times, unless such effects are absolutely marginal.

I've shared this before but I made this simple calculator which in many cases will show how incredibly irrelevant MF is in comparison to run times. Many players, even experienced ones who are very well aware of the diminishing returns, still tend to fall for the psychological trap of adding more MF.

When it comes to tourney such as MFO, of course all that is not decisive anyway because it all comes down to a combination of RNG and how many hours you put into it, efficiency has a small effect in comparison. Someone with 20% less efficient runs but who invests 30% more time playing, will have better odds of winning. And still needs RNG. :) MFO is usually decided by how many 27+ pointers drop for which people, or even Tyrael's... not by who's running the most hours or having the most efficient runs.

Reactions: zorohpjtr and Trim
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High