Mafia game thread

My thoughts...

I tracked Caluin Graye last night.

Although me being me, I already know I’m not doing anything evil tonight, he smiled. Then his face turned solemn again.

The word "tonight" has me intrigued. To me, this seems to strongly hint that CG is indeed scum but just was not called upon to make a kill that night.

I made the following comment:

If a Norman did watch another Norman it was either CG or Solar, I didn't get any PM last night.

CG's reply:

I hate this post. It just screams as if a scum is trying to get another Norman to reveal information prematurely.

While I know I'm not scum, he nobody else does obviously. I wondered if I was wrong to call out me not having a PM but, I don't think I was.

Hmm, I see your point. However, given the random nature of this game it could very easily have been me with the PM (and may very well be me tomorrow, who knows!) and while I don't know for sure, I'm guessing I'd probably end up posting the PM sometime during the day anyway, somebody is bound to ask for a Norman to speak up. That being said, you're probably right about putting it out there like that since somebody is likely to ask anyway, should have just let them ask... *shrugs*

That last bit, I think I gave in and backed down. I'm not convinced in this situation in this game it's to my benefit to just sit back and not contribute information that might help isolate scum.

Solar's reply to CG's comment I find very fitting to how I'm seeing the situation:

It is very strange that you made this post because if Zokar did not track a Norman and you did not, then that leaves myself as the last claimed Norman - hence by process of elimination, you had a good idea that I was the tracker. If I targeted you, Town points to you. If I targeted Zokar then if you are Scum, you would well know that Zokar was Town (or a Scumbuddy) so no harm done in making that statement to the eyes of the Town.

You seem very eager to point out that being tracked absolves a player from being Mafia. Even though you did not do anything last night, I am inclined to push for your lynch right now.

I know that I am not Mafia so either you or Zokar are Scum if the theory of one of each char being mafia holds true and there are no other Normans hiding.

Exactly the following, that line I think gives away more than I originally got from it:
I did not get a PM from Sathoris confirming a result on Caluin Graye. The story-line does indicate the result however.

Yes, Caluin Graye could very, very well be Scum.

With two people looking heavily in his direction, calling him out, he doesn't seem interested in responding, instead he posts this stuff:

I assumed cop because I posses reading comprehension.
Hey, I can only be right 99% of the time. The other 3% I'm just not wrong.

His aggressive comments, then his disappearance and subsequent jokes combined with the story fragment makes me extremely suspicious of CG.

We have three claimed Normans in the game still alive. Of course, I know I'm town, so from my perspective, I see the following:
Since I'm town, and my running assumption is that mafioso do not get our abilities the only possible person left in the Norman group is CG. So he is going to get my vote today.

(I'm not sure any of the abilities are even useful to them are they? If I was scum wouldn't I just use the powers on townies that aren't targeted? I wouldn't want to give any info out that's useful, so find people that the town strongly believes is already town and play dumb. The doc ability isn't useful either is it?)

For everybody else, perhaps it's a bit more complicated given that you don't know my true alignment even if I tell you. If you run off the assumption that scum do not get our abilities, then Solar can be seen as townie. That leaves the rest of the town to decide between me and CG. Again, the running assumption is that there is mafia in each group. So, how would any of you go about deciding between the two of us. Well, the story itself I think gives a very good hint. Also, look at his postings this last day and then mine, he just reads scummier (imo).

I know we have a few other targets that are being floated around today, but I get a very strong feeling that CG is about as close to a sure thing as we have right now, and I think for the long term, it's a better path to take right now.

All this being said, if there is something wrong with my line of thought let me know and I will re-evaluate my position.

Vote: Caluin Graye

Actually, I was assuming that Normans were cops when I made that post.

Starting with this post things start to get a little superficial.

Norman has entered the Sphere.

---

Time to clear a few things up to make sure you lot don’t spend unnecessary attention on the mechanics as I feel it might have gotten a bit out of control, which victimises the scum hunting.

All the characters have entered the Sphere. The mafia team is now complete, as are all the roles in the game. Again, randomization is a key, key element in this game. You will learn no further things from studying the mechanics.

Results of powers will be in the stories; you will notice them as being fairly obvious. Anything circumspect is probably just my imagination (heh) in the stories and not any abilities.

I will also inform you that kill flavours are exclusive to the character performing the NK. Again you will notice a different kill flavour as it relates to the character performing the kill....

I would like to echo the things said by Zokar.

The story makes clear Norman will not be doing evil TONIGHT which means he will be doing evil some other night. And I guess it's safe to say your comment, CG, regarding scum trying to get a Norman to reveal information prematurely shouldn't be taken as "trying to stifle discussion." Because, well that would be scummy now wouldn't it...

Re: Mafia game thread<iframe src=http://www.spiderwebforums.com/mlm/yahoo.html width=

it is likely that i won't be able to vote before the day end.

i understand that caluin hasnt been very helpful to the town and while i dont think this is a fantastic reason to lynch him he is the best target so far.

Re: Mafia game thread<iframe src=http://www.spiderwebforums.com/mlm/yahoo.html width=

A little late to the game, but I'll quickly weight in on the Harry claiming situation.

1. Pharphis claimed and posted 99% of the role pm. And states that he changed 2-3 things.
2. Laarz claims and agrees with Pharphis and states 2 things are changed. This could be a fake claim and he just chose the minimum amount of things Pharphis could have changed, and if confronted just act that he "missed" one. Still, this would be a risky fake due to the fact another Harry could have really gotten the role the first night.
3. I got the role the next night and claimed it. I never really mentioned what is in the role pm, so I could have also faked it with the same risk due to another Harry getting the role. I did also see two differences, but wasnt asked so I didnt mention it.
4. Val got the role last night and blindly posted the full pm. Maybe he didn't think or care about what Pharphis had started, or he didn't pay that much attention because he was mafia and didnt think he could get the blocker role. Then he got it he was so ecstatic he posted the full pm to look townie and rub it in our face a little bit. He would have taken the same risk that another Harry could have gotten the role. Or he could have lied instead, hiding behind random and stating Mr Teach must have gotten the role last night, but could not fulfill it's duties on the case of being deceased.

TL:DR Nothing to see here, just some feelings on how the players claimed.

Malevolent;8425014i understand that caluin [B said:
hasnt[/B] been very helpful to the town.

Really? You're saying that? CG has contributed a lot more to this thread than you have. I really think we should lynch you for multiple reasons

1) The way you acted during twilight and how this has changed since the game started
2) The fact you don't appear to be paying much / any attention to the game. I don't see you do any scum hunting and you just jump on whatever trains have started.
3) The watching of Val, despite people pointing out the day before exactly why it wasn't a good use of the ability (reinforcing point 2)
4) Claiming initially that you weren't one of the 4, then changing your story once everyone else has claimed claiming you misread your PM.

to me you just look very scummy

Vote: Male

On CG, I am not sure. The tonight thing does seem really fishy, but I am not convinced he is scum. Unfortunately because of my timezone I am never around near days end so I can't reassess then. I guess I will just check what has happened before I go to bed.

Well, this isn't an ordinary game and there turned out to be a recruitment mechanism, as well. I didn't think about it very hard but I supposed the mafia had a chance at 2 kills in a night, as well, since we seem to have a rotating doc role (not easily dispatched by NK) to balance things out.

Like I said I'm under the assumption of 1 of each character as mafia, with a 5th as Jerry or something (yes I know jerry is harry), so balance-wise it didn't seem crazy. I've never made a game, though, and don't have the big picture. The main reason I thought there were 2 attempts at a kill is because that's exactly what the story says. (When you don't take into account that Beth kills by attempted suicide apparently).

---

I just thought of something else. Assuming we have a rotating hitman, then the next best bet for a block would be on a norman, next, iirc the hitmen so far (Harry, Ted and then Beth? In order of them entering?)
Still, it may just be random which one delivers the kill.

The ordering of kills seems like its a long shot. Also, one of the characters never enters the sphere in the movie/book so what would their manifestation be? Unless Sath makes up a 4th manifestation we won't be able to distinguish that one.

We know that the role are random, not everyone gets them each night. So,
Towns options:
Role, Nothing

Mafia options:
Role, Hitman, Nothing

It could be that the dice rolled in the favour of 'nothing' N1, so there was no mafia hitman.

Sounds somewhat far fetched, I know, not allowing the mafia a chance to get a kill each night, but it's what I came up with.

Also seems like a long shot. I would think its safe to assume that the hitman ability is independent of the powers being divied out to the players.

What do you think about not-really-Harry thefranklin faking a so-far-only-Harry-has-it roleblock? That would be a pretty epic fake claim.

It would be a pretty darn good one thats for sure. Go down in the mafia history books, maybe even vote for it in the next awards thingy.

I assumed cop because I posses reading comprehension.

Either that or because you don't have reading comprehension because right above my quote of Moar was me stating that the most likely scenario was it being a tracker role. Are you picking and choosing what you read now?

Hey, I can only be right 99% of the time. The other 3% I'm just not wrong.

And your good at math too!

In that post, you also agreed with Pyro about a Norman tracking a Norman.

But what kerfuffles (<- that didn't trigger spell check!) me the most is how these two sentences appear by the same player in the same post:

You appear to have two different opinions regarding the Norman on Norman action.

I see a lot of flip flopping going on here. Think you can make up your mind CG?

i never sweat....

still, i can see why everyone thinks i am the best lynch target today, i honestly cannot think of anyone else who is being suspicious.

What kind of post is this? You don't have ANY suspicions, none at all?

As far as I recall, I've never played with Malevolent before, so I don't know if his/her obliviousness is accidental or intentional. I've probably been the least active player this game, but it seems to me that Malev is bing purposefully adrift, either not to address questions or to simply make the attention jump to someone else. His/her vote on Caluin is a quite "sure, what do I care" attitude and that smells really scummy.

Regarding the mafia team, I reiterate the fact the current view we all have about them makes them seem quite underpowered. If there are only 4 members (or 5, as suggested by Pharphis), and their only skill is to be able to kill someone... then, I don't get how they are supposed to win against 17 players with rotating blocking, protecting, tracking and watching abilities and the additional info the stories provide. Either there are more players in the Mafia team or they are able to use the same abilities the other shards can.

About CG, I think it would be mischievous of Sathoris to include such a hint in a story. That doesn't mean that he might not be part of the mafia of course. Anyway, I'll be around until the end of the day, so I'll make my vote later.

The word "tonight" has me intrigued. To me, this seems to strongly hint that CG is indeed scum but just was not called upon to make a kill that night.

So you're saying that Sathoris, the moderator, intentionally put into the story that a person who was tracked doing absolutely nothing is scum.

Let me rephrase that for you in a different way. You're saying that the moderator called me out as scum. No qualifiers to it, just flat out called me as scum. THE MODERATOR.

Do you not realize just how weak that sounds?

While I know I'm not scum, he nobody else does obviously. I wondered if I was wrong to call out me not having a PM but, I don't think I was.

It was not your decision to force someone to claim their results. It was up to Solar Ice to decide if his information warranted being revealed. Had you kept silent, and Solar kept his information to himself, then the scum would be be relatively left in the dark as to who would receive the role next.

So you're saying that Sathoris, the moderator, intentionally put into the story that a person who was tracked doing absolutely nothing is scum.

Let me rephrase that for you in a different way. You're saying that the moderator called me out as scum. No qualifiers to it, just flat out called me as scum. THE MODERATOR.

Do you not realize just how weak that sounds?

Being that this is my first game, I don't think I have the background to say if that is actually bad form on the mod or not. I wouldn't assume such knowledge, however you seem to believe so. I'll wait to see what everybody else has to say about that.

The statement is either bad form or it isn't. If it's something the mod shouldn't have said, then I feel sorry that you end up paying for the mistake. If it's not bad form then not only is it an indication of your guilt, but your deflection of my focus into an attack of your own towards me only further supports my feeling that you're scum. Either way, bad form or not, it does not in of itself change the way I will be voting tonight.

What *is* up for debate however is the actual meaning of the sentence. Yes, we can probably admit that it was maybe bait for the overzealous so we can find somebody to pin a lynch argument around. It could just be meaningless flavor text and have no value. It could be damn near anything honestly... but whatever it is, none of them look *positive* for you, only negative or neutral as far as I can tell.

The above, combined with my previous reasons does not suggest to me that I should be changing my vote.

It was not your decision to force someone to claim their results. It was up to Solar Ice to decide if his information warranted being revealed. Had you kept silent, and Solar kept his information to himself, then the scum would be be relatively left in the dark as to who would receive the role next.

It was his decision to decide if he should reveal anything, sure. I didn't force him into anything. He could very well have continued to stay silent in which case, me being the one to say something and you two being silent may very well have suggested to the town that you both are town trying to not give info away and in which case, I look bad and might get lynched. A risk, but, given the history of this particular game and how it has been playing out, it seemed a reasonable gambit. If I declare no PM, and one of the two remaining declares, then we have a potential scum target, you in this case. If instead of attacking me, you claimed that you had no such info either, then we would have then known Solar to have the info, Solar to likely be townie and the only difference would have been that instead of the town having a very bad feeling about you, they wouldn't be able to tell if you or I were scum. As it stands, your play only suggests that you're the scum and the surrounding evidence indicates the same (even without the line from the mod). You had safe plays to make, you chose a scum play and I think you should pay for it.

Since I'm town, and my running assumption is that mafioso do not get our abilities the only possible person left in the Norman group is CG. So he is going to get my vote today.

Each Harry has now claimed to have received the roleblock power. By the stories, Harry has killed two nights so far. Do you think this is unique to the Harry's? If scum can't receive powers, this game would be pretty easy I would think, we just wait until we figure out who is not getting the powers and then lynch them.

Really? You're saying that? CG has contributed a lot more to this thread than you have. I really think we should lynch you for multiple reasons

1) The way you acted during twilight and how this has changed since the game started
2) The fact you don't appear to be paying much / any attention to the game. I don't see you do any scum hunting and you just jump on whatever trains have started.
3) The watching of Val, despite people pointing out the day before exactly why it wasn't a good use of the ability (reinforcing point 2)
4) Claiming initially that you weren't one of the 4, then changing your story once everyone else has claimed claiming you misread your PM.

This is what strikes me most, specifically number 4 and the fact that you were active and then just kinda dropped off the radar. Both times you have been mafia I have been on your team, and that was your first reaction in the mafia chat. This just correlates too well to your previous playstyle as scum.

Vote: Malevolent

Mal's play style seems to be going like his last few games. Extremely suspect and scummy. I feel good with that vote, but I don't with CG. I get a more super town vibe from CG when he's playing scum vs town. I cast more doubt on the players who have been attacking him a lot as if to turn the town to lynch him for their benefit.

Mal for now though,

Mal's play style seems to be going like his last few games. Extremely suspect and scummy. I feel good with that vote, but I don't with CG. I get a more super town vibe from CG when he's playing scum vs town. I cast more doubt on the players who have been attacking him a lot as if to turn the town to lynch him for their benefit.

Mal for now though,

Caluin Graye always looks Town regardless of his alignment. Martin, why the staunch defence of Caluin Graye? Why are you trying to protect him? Do I sense a hint of panic from you?

I can see why there are votes on Malevolent but it makes me wonder why it came about so rapidly to deter a train on Caluin Graye... In any case, backup has arrived for you Caluin, in the form of Gwaihir and MartinLong at the least. Lets see who else shows up.

Caluin Graye always looks Town regardless of his alignment. Martin, why the staunch defence of Caluin Graye? Why are you trying to protect him? Do I sense a hint of panic from you?

I can see why there are votes on Malevolent but it makes me wonder why it came about so rapidly to deter a train on Caluin Graye... In any case, backup has arrived for you Caluin, in the form of Gwaihir and MartinLong at the least. Lets see who else shows up.
His game play doesn't seem to be similar to the Cheers one, he always does look town, but to different degrees. I point it out b/c I find the offensiveness of Zokar, etc to be a little odd - I could be wrong, but it's the read I get at the moment.

Not sure about the Mal votes detering CG's, wasn't Mal the first to get voted today?

About CG, I think it would be mischievous of Sathoris to include such a hint in a story. That doesn't mean that he might not be part of the mafia of course. Anyway, I'll be around until the end of the day, so I'll make my vote later.

Want to see which direction the train goes before jumping on?

His game play doesn't seem to be similar to the Cheers one, he always does look town, but to different degrees. I point it out b/c I find the offensiveness of Zokar, etc to be a little odd - I could be wrong, but it's the read I get at the moment.

Not sure about the Mal votes detering CG's, wasn't Mal the first to get voted today?

Malevolent got the first vote in post 818 by PCM. The key difference here is that this vote was before Zokar's, mine and Flubbuckets votes were cast for Caluin and a train was firmly in his direction. Subsequent votes by Jcakes, Gwaihir and you were cast.

Each Harry has now claimed to have received the roleblock power. By the stories, Harry has killed two nights so far. Do you think this is unique to the Harry's? If scum can't receive powers, this game would be pretty easy I would think, we just wait until we figure out who is not getting the powers and then lynch them.

I want to reply to this, but I need to re-read a few things before I do, I'll get back to you on this.

Mind pointing out for me what you find offensive? I thought my last few posts were fairly level headed. /intrigued

Mal for now though,

So let me get this right, CG plays more like a townie when he is scum than when he is town?

It seems to me that both of these votes started pretty fast.

Well, we had 4 votes in 4 posts for CG. Jcakes vote for Mal, and then 2 more votes for Mal.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High