Mafia game thread

So, to hammer this in...

flub said:
All the talk regarding just one Harry, Ted, etc, being mafia isn't smart.

Both franklin and Flubbucket are pressing the idea that "one scum from each role". To me, this looks like they're setting up the groundwork for the above described gambit. I find that highly suspect. Anyone suggesting that we don't talk about a subject instantly gets my attention, and Flubbucket is suggesting that we simply accept assumption #2 as fact and stop talking about it.
from post #420 where CG says that flub is agreeing with the 1 mafia per name thing. (Post 420 is flub's quoted portion above)
This is not true.

I would like for you to CLEARLY point out where I'm "pressing" any issue. If you read Goryani's post #383 and to a lesser extent #387, the same idea is being conveyed. For some reason you didn't jump on him, why is that???

I already did. Twice, in fact. You even quoted the post where I did so. I can't give you any other examples, because you're not contributing anything else to the thread.

Flub claims the one harry, etc talk isn't smart. CG states that Flub is pushing that idea.

Concerning me being connected to flub/whoever: Nope. Not connected. Again, sorry.

I didn't get it either.

Also, can those who find me suspicious explain why (kegs, solar, ??)? Without some reason it kind of sounds like you're just trying to hide in the crowd by pointing out someone you don't like, and claiming you don't like some others, as well.

If it's because of the flavour of the pm I posted then you really need to get over that. The ability was the important part, the story was there for completeness.

Also, I said (a few times?) That I didn't use the ability because I didn't know I got a pm.

I am not opposed to your lynch, Glib, because of the aforementioned post by Caluin Graye as well as your 8 or so mostly noncontributing posts.

That's really sad. You are usually such a critical thinker, now your just lynching based on someone else's reasoning.....or perhaps direction.

Good luck on the new job.
btw, did you ever claim?

Sathoris said:
Theodore Fielding

You are Ted Fielding. You’re the good-natured and enthusiastic astrophysicist of the group. Despite your good intentions your often annoyingly enthusiasm inhibits your relationship with the others. Your drive to find something that will make you famous tends to come off pretentious and opportunistic.

Currently you have no abilities other than your good will.

And thats what I was calling your soft claim, not excatly I am Ted there flubb.

Sathoris said:
Theodore Fielding

You are Ted Fielding. You’re the good-natured and enthusiastic astrophysicist of the group. Despite your good intentions your often annoyingly enthusiasm inhibits your relationship with the others. Your drive to find something that will make you famous tends to come off pretentious and opportunistic.

Currently you have no abilities other than your good will.

I already did. Twice, in fact. You even quoted the post where I did so. I can't give you any other examples, because you're not contributing anything else to the thread.

Goryani's proposed theory is opposite what thefranklin thinks. Since you agree with thefranklin, then what's the connection between you and Goryani?

No, it was coju who first tried floating the idea of 'one scum per character role'. He did it in a way that wasn't really clear, though. Goryani pushed against coju, stating that lynching all of one role to prove the theory was dumb. (Which it is). thefranklin agrees with coju (#344), and you agree with thefranklin (#397).

If anything, you have more of a connection to coju than you do Goryani. Three guesses as to whom else is high on the 'to lynch' list, and the first two don't count.

This is just a mish-mash of attempts to connect several people together and frankly just comes off looking desperate.

Flub claims the one harry, etc talk isn't smart. CG states that Flub is pushing that idea.

Concerning me being connected to flub/whoever: Nope. Not connected. Again, sorry.

There it is....

The push the horrifying push!!!!

Hide ya kids!! Hide ya wife!! They be pushin' errybuddy up in here!!!

Now that flubb has had a chance to give his take...

Both franklin and Flubbucket are pressing the idea that "one scum from each role". To me, this looks like they're setting up the groundwork for the above described gambit. I find that highly suspect. Anyone suggesting that we don't talk about a subject instantly gets my attention, and Flubbucket is suggesting that we simply accept assumption #2 as fact and stop talking about it.

I thought flubb essentially agreed with me. I said "bad" while he said "stupid." Six of one and half a dozen of another. He also made a point to bold "just one" which is a point I keep going back to.

Furthermore, the post flubb replied to has several ideas in it. Other ideas in thefranklin's post include the sphere as recruitment, the sphere as a switch (mafiascum term), "a statistical lead on the Harry's" and Laarz being the most suspect. The "one player of each name is mafia" idea is also there, but that idea flubb isn't in agreement with: "All the talk regarding just one <insert name here> being mafia isn't smart." He's open to the possibility you outline with the three assumptions.

Assumption #3: Characters are balanced. 20 players, four roles, means five players sharing a role. 21st player is odd man out, give him anyone random, meaning there's a sixth for one role.

Tying in Assumption #3 with Assumption #2: If I were mafia with the information revealed at the end of Day 1, I'd have one or two scum fake claim. If assumption #2 is correct, then they all have access to the proper, original role PM, so trying to catch them via trick words or what have you is not going to work.

For example, if the Scum Harry claimed a Norman, and the Norman scum got lynched, it's likely that the town may just stop looking at Normans for more scum. Eventually they'll go through all the Harrys, find no scum there, and wonder if perhaps assumption #2 is wrong, or if scum Harry is hiding amongst Beths, Normans, or Teds? That's the kind of gambit I would try to run as a mafia, and I can name a quite a few people in the thread that would likely come up with a similar idea.

Going after a 6 claimer because of the setup (which "clearly" must have 5 Teds and not only the 4 that claimed) will award themselves major scum points. The idea is fundamentally identical to going after Harry's and Ted's because they entered the sphere last night. I don't know if anyone does this, as I have about 10 pages to catch up on, but I'll be watching for it.

The wording of phrarphis' roleblock PM wounds exactly like the desciption of Harry: arrogant, unsympathetic, disdainful, and often uncooperative. I don't think any of the other Harry's had a bone to pick with the "scummy" part. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that scummy part is given to every Harry who receives a night ability either in the past or the rest of the game.

I thought flubb essentially agreed with me. I said "bad" while he said "stupid." Six of one and half a dozen of another. He also made a point to bold "just one" which is a point I keep going back to.

Perhaps I misread you. I was under the impression that you didn't have a specific opinion on the setup yet, and were just advocating not going down the path of lynching an entire role (i.e., all Harrys).

In any case, that's not the important part. What makes me want to lynch flubbucket was the fact that he attempts to direct conversation away from a topic. His or your particular opinion on the subject is relatively unimportant to my vote on flubbucket.

"All the talk regarding [insert any point of conversation here] isn't smart." is the important part of his quote. Why not discuss things? If we don't discuss things, then we have a dead thread and nothing to lynch off of. Who does that help? Why is one of the lower post count folks telling us that we shouldn't talk about salient points?

I didn't get it either.

Also, can those who find me suspicious explain why (kegs, solar, ??)? Without some reason it kind of sounds like you're just trying to hide in the crowd by pointing out someone you don't like, and claiming you don't like some others, as well.

If it's because of the flavour of the pm I posted then you really need to get over that. The ability was the important part, the story was there for completeness.

Also, I said (a few times?) That I didn't use the ability because I didn't know I got a pm.

The pm looks like scum to me. That's why. Was it two separate pm's? Why did you split the post?

The wording of phrarphis' roleblock PM wounds exactly like the desciption of Harry: arrogant, unsympathetic, disdainful, and often uncooperative. I don't think any of the other Harry's had a bone to pick with the "scummy" part. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that scummy part is given to every Harry who receives a night ability either in the past or the rest of the game.

Gory thinks it fits the role. I haven't seen the movie and I'm not Harry, so that could be right, could be wrong.

...they know that if we follow the movie that Beth and Norman will both shortly follow...

I don't think Ted ever entered the sphere in the movie (or book). Ergo, we are not following the movie (or book).

Perhaps I misread you. I was under the impression that you didn't have a specific opinion on the setup yet, and were just advocating not going down the path of lynching an entire role (i.e., all Harrys).

Yes and no the the specific setup. I have an idea (which I'll post before I go to bed) but if I'm right we can't formulate a strategy to combat it.

The problem with strategizing against a setup is that the game is close to LYLO by the time you prove the setup is correct. You might get lucky and disprove a setup earlier but where does that leave us? Most likely looking for a new setup/strategy to prove/disprove. Therefore, I think strategizing against ANY setup is "not good" and should be avoided at all costs.

By all means pay attention to possible setups but don't focus solely on certain names (and more importantly, ignoring all the other names) without proper justification.

In any case, that's not the important part. What makes me want to lynch flubbucket was the fact that he attempts to direct conversation away from a topic. His or your particular opinion on the subject is relatively unimportant to my vote on flubbucket.

"All the talk regarding [insert any point of conversation here] isn't smart." is the important part of his quote. Why not discuss things? If we don't discuss things, then we have a dead thread and nothing to lynch off of. Who does that help? Why is one of the lower post count folks telling us that we shouldn't talk about salient points?

I interpret the controversial sentence differently. I see it as disagreeing with [insert any point of conversation here]. I don't think "All the talk regarding [insert any point of conversation here] will earn you scum points" is stifling conversation yet I think it's roughly what flubb was saying.

Assumption: There are 5 mafia.
Assumption: Each mafia received one of the 4 names.

Guess what. Mafia KNOW there are duplicate names. Duplicate main/major names. This has significant implications on what strategies they might employ. At a minimum, mafia shouldn't be afraid of claiming a duplicate name and might be the first claimer (LAMISM?).

Mafia might not have been able to talk before twilight started. Odds are mafia weren't allowed to talk during the first half day. However, that "day" was called twilight instead of D0 so maybe they could talk anyway. They definitely would be able to talk before all the roleclaims. That's what I'm counting on and focusing on.

By the time the mass claims occurred, I think we had mostly moved away from the recruitment idea so I don't see a big risk to claiming Harry or Ted (thought I'm pretty WIFOMY - many others might play it safer).

Normally I'd assume 5 mafia over 4 mafia in a 21 player setup but so far the only ability claimed has been one shot on one night that wasn't used. We aren't exactly talking about a gluttony of power roles.

I cannot stress enough how everything, except the individual actions of the mafia and town, have been generated randomly.

If this game works out I'll make a Mass Effect game, but the ME universe was too predictable for what I had in mind. Although if this system works I could make it even more complex in a ME game and incorperate all three ME games.

Bolded for emphasis.

Game Setup Speculation: I think this game is algorithmically generated. A random number generator determines setup details such as "1 of each name is mafia."

Algorithmically generated means:
There may be 4 mafia Ted's or 0 mafia Ted's. Or any number in between. Or any other name.
There may be 1 mafia of each name or not. If there are only 4 mafia it's actually less likely to have 1 mafia of each name than other distributions.
There may be a 5-4-6-6 distribution of names. There may be a 21-0-0-0 distribution of names. Some ratios are more plausible than others but no distribution can be discounted.

Algorithmically generated also means game setup exploiting strategies are statistically more likely to fail than succeed.

I will admit I have only read the last 15 pages and the first 20 fully, so I am missing a large chunk, but right now what I am seeing is an irresistible vote for Male. Didn't read the PM? Seriously? There is no forgiving that. I will read on, but I am ready to vote now.

Vote: Malevolent

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High