Mafia game thread

pharphis wasn't the only one to receive an ability last night. I also received an ability.

I'm not going to post the ability PM. I will say it was a single PM with multiple parts. One part was specific to Ted. One part was specific to the ability. I think all Ted's will see the Ted part and everyone receiving the same ability will see the ability part.

The ability was a one shot ability and could only be used last night. I used my ability.

Bolded for emphasis.

Game Setup Speculation: I think this game is algorithmically generated. A random number generator determines setup details such as "1 of each name is mafia."

Algorithmically generated means:
There may be 4 mafia Ted's or 0 mafia Ted's. Or any number in between. Or any other name.
There may be 1 mafia of each name or not. If there are only 4 mafia it's actually less likely to have 1 mafia of each name than other distributions.
There may be a 5-4-6-6 distribution of names. There may be a 21-0-0-0 distribution of names. Some ratios are more plausible than others but no distribution can be discounted.

Algorithmically generated also means game setup exploiting strategies are statistically more likely to fail than succeed.
Brilliant (no sarcasm). In a post or two above this quote ^^^ I thought there could possibly be all of one 'character' mafia. IE: All Harry's are mafia. Never would have voiced that, except for what you've posted above.
pharphis wasn't the only one to receive an ability last night. I also received an ability.

I'm not going to post the ability PM. I will say it was a single PM with multiple parts. One part was specific to Ted. One part was specific to the ability. I think all Ted's will see the Ted part and everyone receiving the same ability will see the ability part.

The ability was a one shot ability and could only be used last night. I used my ability.
I have to ask, "Who did you use it on?"

Who did you use it on?

@Kegs,
The pm was split into 2 posts because I wanted to copy paste to prevent errors, and like I've said tapatalk is annoying.
Strangely enough it wouldn't let me highlight both paragraphs, so I had to do them separately.

Gory is Ted, right? If so, then I guess my thought that you get the ability the night after entering is false.
I do wonder if you have to have entered the sphere at some point in order to gain an ability, though.

So we have 5 Harry, 4 Ted, 6 Norman and 6 Beth. That doesn't look balanced. With 21 players youd' have 3x5 and 1x6 if you don't have anyone outside. That leads me to questioning the 6 Norman and 6 Beth players. One of them must be lying and be a Ted who doesn't want to be a Ted.

Possibly. Without beating a dead horse of the Beth's 4 of us definitely have the full PM (Gwaihir, Jcakes, Pyro & MartinLong - we all provided missing pieces to the PM ). Coju and Pman could potentially have pieced it together from the thread.

I can confirm that Sathoris is not a valid target for votes, only players listed on the alive player list are valid targets.

You can confirm that can you? How?

Yes and no the the specific setup. I have an idea (which I'll post before I go to bed) but if I'm right we can't formulate a strategy to combat it.

The problem with strategizing against a setup is that the game is close to LYLO by the time you prove the setup is correct. You might get lucky and disprove a setup earlier but where does that leave us? Most likely looking for a new setup/strategy to prove/disprove. Therefore, I think strategizing against ANY setup is "not good" and should be avoided at all costs.

By all means pay attention to possible setups but don't focus solely on certain names (and more importantly, ignoring all the other names) without proper justification.

I interpret the controversial sentence differently. I see it as disagreeing with [insert any point of conversation here]. I don't think "All the talk regarding [insert any point of conversation here] will earn you scum points" is stifling conversation yet I think it's roughly what flubb was saying.

This is a good point I really think we should be looking at who we think is scummy rather than claimed names. In my mind there are a couple of people that strike me as scummy

1)Male
2)coju.

@Kegs,
The pm was split into 2 posts because I wanted to copy paste to prevent errors, and like I've said tapatalk is annoying.
Strangely enough it wouldn't let me highlight both paragraphs, so I had to do them separately.

Gory is Ted, right? If so, then I guess my thought that you get the ability the night after entering is false.
I do wonder if you have to have entered the sphere at some point in order to gain an ability, though.

@Pharphis: Did you definitely get it last night or was it the night before?

I will admit I have only read the last 15 pages and the first 20 fully, so I am missing a large chunk, but right now what I am seeing is an irresistible vote for Male. Didn't read the PM? Seriously? There is no forgiving that. I will read on, but I am ready to vote now.

Vote: Malevolent

Right now what I'm seeing is an irresistible urge to justify voting for someone and appear townie. Didn't read the thread? Seriously? There is no forgiving that.

I take it that you do not find Coju or Flubbucket suspicious?

coju, a little bit. The whole spy thing does indeed smell. As for flubb, I'm not getting any vibes off him.

Right now, I'm going to place my vote on what I believe to be the most scummiest thing thus far, Malevolent's failure to read the PM. One could argue that he didn't bother with the first PM because he might have been busy with a second PM.

I'd also like to suggest everyone to start posting their top 3 lynch lists. This has helped us in the past in making links between players, so I see no reason not to do it.

My list would be Malevolent, kestegs due to the way he claimed by avoiding to post him PM or parts of it and the third would be coju for the whole spy/traitor comment.

I think coju's playstyle lends itself to easily to suspicion. As well as comments like this (twice).

Who did you use it on?

I got the idea he was saying I can comment on the spy thing if I want to cuz your not the boss of me!! Now I'll grant you his post #365 is a bit disconcerting but I'm only commenting about his defensiveness.

I'm still considering his spy comment BTW :ponder:

I have to (get to?) help a friend replace his transmission today, so I'll be out of pocket most of the day. I do want to get my vote in before I go and it's based on these posts. Hopefully I will get a chance to change it if needed.

I am refuting, I am not scum.

I don't get it -.-

Obviously you're not scum, because....of the reason, right???

What kind if role so you think Jerry might have if he is in the game?

The problem I have with this theory is that we could have had 19 or 22 people sign up just as easily, its not like sath capped the signups.

In the original sign ups Sathoris asked for at least 16 players and that "maffs" out to four of each flavor. I think Jerry will be The Nutty Professor....Oi Dean
This is what you said you received in a pm, i removed the context to make it more clear what I'm pointing out.

That is the scummiest looking pm I've ever seen. "they have to be stopped" how does that statement not make you scum?

Your attempt to make pharphis look scummy is lame. He simply posted information...late information he didn't act upon, but information. You then used this to try and make him look scummy, then cast a vote. To say it's the scummiest PM is an attempt to shine the light away from you and I'm not buying it.
Lol! Did you just post your mafia roll pm?

vote:pharphis

Why would mafia post his PM??

Vote: kestegs

My original thought was that he accidentally copied and pasted the wrong PM and then tried to cover it up, I should have asked him the question about his PM earlier. I still think that the PM looks scummy, but it doesn't seem like many others do, so I guess it's a bad read.

My list of 3:
Mal, Coju, Pharphis

I'm considering some others, but I'm not ready to list them yet.

My list of three
1)Male
2)coju.
For number 3 I think kestegs, I am not sold on him, just seems a little scummy.

Anyway I am going to have to lay a vote for tonight so I am going with my number one suspect and

Coju and Pman could potentially have pieced it together from the thread.?

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Wait a minute here. Do not try and pin the 'only coju and pman could potentially have pieced it together from the thread' on me. Don't even try. If need be, I'll go back and piece together every character claim. Don't even try and call me scum because of that.

Every, and I mean every, character name's role PM was posted in full before the last person claimed that role. Everybody besides the first couple of people need to be in that list.

As for the spy comment, I was merely helping a new forum mafia player out by telling him not to trust anybody because there could be spies.
I'll remember next time I'm a [highlight]vanilla town with a main character role name[/highlight] (see what I did there? Bread crumbed vanilla town) I won't help any new players and get them lynched for noob mistakes.

I think coju's playstyle lends itself to easily to suspicion. As well as comments like this (twice).

I got the idea he was saying I can comment on the spy thing if I want to cuz your not the boss of me!! Now I'll grant you his post #365 is a bit disconcerting but I'm only commenting about his defensiveness.

I'm still considering his spy comment BTW :ponder:
My defensiveness? So, what? I'm not inclined to defend myself? Okay then, I'll do what I've done in previous games when I get attacked early on: disappear and ignore every advance towards me. That lets me slide until end-game as a mafia, as a town, as a cop, as a doc, as any and every role. Others do it too. You lurk just enough to get by. Post just enough to not have the lowest post count. Do just enough.
**** that ****.
I love how whenever player A, regardless of alignment[/i], attacks player B and whenever player B defends himself it is scummy.

Concerning my "Who did you use it on?" : Does no one care? Someone claims to have got a PM in the night and absolutely no one cares? No push to find out? If pharphis did this he would be lynched immediately. If I did this I would get lynched immediately.
But, because it was Goryani he gets a slide.

As for the spy comment, I was merely helping a new forum mafia player out by telling him not to trust anybody because there could be spies.
I'll remember next time I'm a vanilla town with a main character role name (see what I did there? Bread crumbed vanilla town) I won't help any new players and get them lynched for noob mistakes.

My defensiveness? So, what? I'm not inclined to defend myself? Okay then, I'll do what I've done in previous games when I get attacked early on: disappear and ignore every advance towards me. That lets me slide until end-game as a mafia, as a town, as a cop, as a doc, as any and every role. Others do it too. You lurk just enough to get by. Post just enough to not have the lowest post count. Do just enough.
**** that ****.
I love how whenever player A, regardless of alignment, attacks player B and whenever player B defends himself it is scummy.

Concerning my "Who did you use it on?" : Does no one care? Someone claims to have got a PM in the night and absolutely no one cares? No push to find out? If pharphis did this he would be lynched immediately. If I did this I would get lynched immediately.
But, because it was Goryani he gets a slide.

It's not that you defend yourself, it's HOW you defend yourself that maters.

If gory wanted to tell us he would have. If he is town and he thought it was best for the town I'm sure he would tell us. He probably mostly did it to see what kind of reaction it would solicit. He's notorious for things like that, ya know.

There's no push because it doesn't matter right now. What would we say if he told us the target? "Gee, that's nice." Town can't do anything with that information. Mafia maybe can.

Top three scum list, since someone asked. In no particular order:

Malevolent. Day one shenanigans, and for disregarding the role PM.

flubbucket. For reasons I've already covered.

coju. Recent addition. Scum hate not having the whole picture available to them, as it takes away one of their big advantages.

Well if we're going to do a list. . .
1) Kegs (mostly for his attack on me)
2) Mal (not reading the initial pm)
3) ??

For 3 I'm somewhat inclined for coju, but not really convinced of that. I too wanted to know Gory's target, but I don't think I voiced that yet.
On the other hand, we don't even know what the ability was, so I don't think it's actually that helpful to us.
Maybe pcm for not posting his full pm, as I figured anyone would have read the rules about it since this game is out of the ordinary. I'm aware a few people were unsure about this (mal? - I can't remember).

Now I wonder how bad it is that we're mostly after the same people. This doesn't often lead to mafia lynch early on, from what I've seen.

Wow, I would think asking "who did you use it on" would be a harmless question, especially in this scenario. i agree that gwahir, gory, cg can ask it but coju, mal, me, maybe kegs would seem scummy for asking the same question.

Can I ask why gory chose to reveal that you got a night pm? How is it helping the town? And can you then describe why not disclosing what/who you targeted is helping the town?

Wow, I would think asking "who did you use it on" would be a harmless question, especially in this scenario. i agree that gwahir, gory, cg can ask it but coju, mal, me, maybe kegs would seem scummy for asking the same question.

Can I ask why gory chose to reveal that you got a night pm? How is it helping the town? And can you then describe why not disclosing what/who you targeted is helping the town?

Let me answer that for you franklin, I have been enlightened:
Scum hate not having the whole picture available to them, as it takes away one of their big advantages.

Yes, I do realize that the mafia want to know the whole picture and push for early roleclaims and who is the doc and who did the busser switch and who did this and who did that. Obviously only mafia need that information.
Who was it again who pushed for an early mass roleclaim? That obviously didn't help town any but confuse the hell out of everybody. It obviously helped scum because they realized they could claim any character and be set.

Unvote: Solar Ice
Vote: Caluin Graye

If it wasn't Caluin that started the mass claim, I'm switching my vote to whomever it was.

If it wasn't Caluin that started the mass claim, I'm switching my vote to whomever it was.
To add to this, for this reason here:
CG said:
Scum hate not having the whole picture available to them, as it takes away one of their big advantages.

My top three :
No order in particular
Caluin
Goryani/Gwaihir

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High