Mafia - Borderlands!

Oh yeah, @Caluin Graye was this a typo in the Mafia QT thread? Or, this is @Noammr correct role?

Noammr was a Bounty-Hunter. Town affiliated. Cop.

I thought I was gonna blow my cover using "Bounty Hunter" instead of Vault Hunter.

The strategy I employed to sniff out power roles can be done as town or scum. I'm not going to say what it is but I will say that Caluin Graye was passively defending himself from it, even though he was modding. No one else was.

Interesting. I will have to try to figure out what the method was then.

Oh yeah, @Caluin Graye was this a typo in the Mafia QT thread? Or, this is @Noammr correct role?

I thought I was gonna blow my cover using "Bounty Hunter" instead of Vault Hunter.

Not a typo. The fluff is that he was a undercover cop hired by the Torgue corporation to root out Hyperion spies.

I like to throw little differences in like that - makes talking about your role more risky.

I couldn't figure out who came up with the SK angle. Had I been alive I would have discou.Ted it in endgane.

Like CG pointed out somewhere before, an SK has to kill nightly. So you would have had two NK's in one night, every night. An SK can be even or odd nights or delayed meaning that they don't start killing till the second night. But it still boils down to two bodies turning up at the start of the day.

See. I don't know all this stuff.. I wasn't the one that brought it up. I think all 3 Ewak, Coju, and Scott mentioned the possibility, so I started to run with it.

If I ever was SK, I'd want to wait until the numbers dwindle before making everyone aware of SK. Kinda impossible if you HAVE to kill every night.

There's a catch to being an SK...once you start killing (either N1 or N2) you.must kill someone. Or you die. An SK cannot skip killing.

DiabloTwoinDC:
Edit: Or, like I said, if you don't think you'll be around to be voting. I could bus you (Noodle) with a "Guilty" on N3, which would get me a lot more credibility as the Cop.

The Silver Shroud:
Bussing Noodle sounds like fun

In the end, I wish that I'd gone this route with my Cop-claim. I figured we'd have much better odds with me and Noodle voting together (with rabble rouser ability). But, we were never able to take advantage at the right time. I could have had a much easier time with my story after returning "guilty" on Noodle and then voting him out.

Thanks for hosting, CG! Also, you need to remember the login for MrTorgue so he can like any posts when a bomb-role activates.

Yes! I like the way you think.

Speaking of which - what did people think of CL4P-TP and Mr. Torgue? I tried to make them somewhat unobtrusive, so didn't post with them too often once out of Twilight. I wanted them there for flavour, but not to dominate the game.

With respect to the town suicide...Frankly, I think it's arbitrary to say its against the spirit of the game to say that that strategy cannot be implemented. If there was a clear rule preventing it--fine. But, if this is, in fact, a team sport, I don't see a problem with a willing member of the team to fall on his sword in order to help his teammates fulfill their objective--out the mafia. From my experience (4 games) the mafia have a decided advantage in this game--especially games where the town have limited powers. If I'm wrong please make an argument that Diablo should have been outed and lynched earlier in the game--as I don't see it. He had Coju fooled until the very end.

Throwing in my 2 cents about using modkills as a tool;
It's about the spirit of the game. You play the game as best as you can, ruthlessly and aggressively if necessary.
But you play it straight, not look for loopholes in the rules or try to bend them to your advantage.

As for the second part, disagree - I'd say this setup gave the mafia more power than usual (what with day-talk, recruiting and the rabble-rouser) yet despite an excellent game on their part, a town modkill and a...distracted town, it ended with a 1v2 standoff, even taking into account the fact that they missed a chance to lock it early that still shows how much leeway the town gets.

D2DC played his claim very well. But a cop claim that isn't followed by verification (ie, cop serving a mafia member up for lynch) or a nk (because duh) should be viewed with a healthy dose of suspicion. D2DC's info was conveniently useless to the town and as the days went by there were inconsistencies in his story...there comes a point when you need to let logic dictate over the vibe someone gives.

I was laughing because I knew an SK wasn't in this game because of that. Also in a game of this size, an SK is bad because the number of ayers will dwindle too quickly, putting the town in Lylo way too fast and likely resulting in the SK's premature death via lynch.

Now a Village Idiot is an entirely different thing lol.

Seriously, the town debating sk...
Example one for when D2DC should've been lynched was when he claimed guilty on franklin when he got nk'ed.
As for VI, please, no.

imo your mistake was not making up fluff to go along with the role's name when it was questioned.
Assuming other PRs got the same general format, coju should've been hella suspicious when you said you just got a role title with no explanation for it.

It's about the spirit of the game. You play the game as best as you can, ruthlessly and aggressively if necessary.
But you play it straight, not look for loopholes in the rules or try to bend them to your advantage.

One man's loophole is another man's strategy. Don't see how there is more honor in lynching the town folk (wrongly accused as mafia) in order to thin out the herd is more honorable than a strategic decision used towards the latter part of the game used to cast a light on who is telling the truth.

As for the second part, disagree - I'd say this setup gave the mafia more power than usual (what with day-talk, recruiting and the rabble-rouser) yet despite an excellent game on their part, a town modkill and a...distracted town, it ended with a 1v2 standoff, even taking into account the fact that they missed a chance to lock it early that still shows how much leeway the town gets.

I agree there power ups than the other games I've played--more participants too.

D2DC played his claim very well. But a cop claim that isn't followed by verification (ie, cop serving a mafia member up for lynch) or a nk (because duh) should be viewed with a healthy dose of suspicion. D2DC's info was conveniently useless to the town and as the days went by there were inconsistencies in his story...there comes a point when you need to let logic dictate over the vibe someone gives.

To the best of my knowledge it was not Diablo who led the call to lynch Zemaj, the franklin, et al. Then Noodle was eliminated. Mrewak gave reasons for suspicion. In hindsight its easy to say that D2DC was obvious--not so much in the heat of the game.

As for Sk...Never once did I mention it. Thought a SK in a game themed on a Sci-fi video game would be incongruous, to say the least.

Seriously, the town debating sk...
Example one for when D2DC should've been lynched was when he claimed guilty on franklin when he got nk'ed.
As for VI, please, no.

imo your mistake was not making up fluff to go along with the role's name when it was questioned.
Assuming other PRs got the same general format, coju should've been hella suspicious when you said you just got a role title with no explanation for it.

See my reply in the above quoted post. Thought I had the handle of citing...not even close.

Just make sure each block of quotation looks like [stuff] the actual quote, not what you're adding [/stuff]

One man's loophole is another man's strategy. Don't see how there is more honor in lynching the town folk (wrongly accused as mafia) in order to thin out the herd is more honorable than a strategic decision used towards the latter part of the game used to cast a light on who is telling the truth.

It has nothing to do with anything as vague as honor, this is a game, it has rules and you play by them. We are adults that can appreciate the spirit of the rules and their intentions even when things are not 100% spelled out.

If voting for people alphabetically or based off their avatar or anything else works for you as a strategy, go for it! Pressing people randomly early may not be nice, but it's a valid strategy.

Do I need to explain what the purpose of modkills is and how that purpose is different from the proposed use?

To the best of my knowledge it was not Diablo who led the call to lynch Zemaj, the franklin, et al. Then Noodle was eliminated. Mrewak gave reasons for suspicion. In hindsight its easy to say that D2DC was obvious--not so much in the heat of the game.

Just the fact that his claim looked the way it did AND he wasn't nk'ed is enough to make it questionable. Fake cop claims lose credibility the longer they need to be backed, I doubt he even expected it to hold for more than two days.

Last edited:
Besides, as far as modkilling...it's the hosts choice on revealing information. We CAN modkill someone and not reveal anything about the player.

I guess it was Ewak that first mentioned SK. But, I can't see his posts any longer.

It's funny that this post from Franklin got me thinking about using the SK angle..

Exactly. We should put together a special task force to capture the SK before he starts going nuts on us. Ewak, I'm going to put you in charge of that. I would like a report with the top SK suspects with supporting evidence from the thread. Ewak, we are counting on you. We want to get the maniac killer before he gets us.

Didn't notice his elaboration a few posts later.. lol :rolleyes:

Hence the reason I assigned Ewak to look into it. I don't know why someone who is town would bring that up right now. Considering the overwhelming evidence of 0,1,1 night kills and knowing the meaning of the words SERIAL and KILLER...

Yeah, thanks for noticing. I was perplexed at what was going on. Gotta have some fun with it, although Ewak didn't go look for evidence :(

And can't believe they were buying into it after you made me guilty.

Just make sure each block of quotation looks like [stuff] the actual quote, not what you're adding [/stuff]

It has nothing to do with anything as vague as honor, this is a game, it has rules and you play by them. We are adults that can appreciate the spirit of the rules and their intentions even when things are not 100% spelled out.

If voting for people alphabetically or based off their avatar or anything else works for you as a strategy, go for it! Pressing people randomly early may not be nice, but it's a valid strategy.

Do I need to explain what the purpose of modkills is and how that purpose is different from the proposed use?

Just the fact that his claim looked the way it did AND he wasn't nk'ed is enough to make it questionable. Fake cop claims lose credibility the longer they need to be backed, I doubt he even expected it to hold for more than two days.

I was in favor of lynching SS from the outset of the game and later others joined in. Noodle was lynched, for all intent and purpose, because he was an absentee player. Diablo lasted the longest by playing a good social game and not making waves. I see no great strategy that led to the ouster of the 2 scum that were lynched and I certainly see no brilliant sleuthing involved in the many town that were ultimately (falsely) accused and lynched. I see a great deal of talk about the proper sway to play the game--but I've never seen how said strategy actually resulted in the outcome they were seeking. As all we are is avatars and typed text, nobody has any reason to trust anything that anyone else has to say--unless it is verified through a special role (i.e., my airstrike on Coju)--and that only verifies it to the person with the power. Maybe I havent played enough, but I've never been involved in a game where the town won in any other way than plain old dumb luck.

And, I still have doubts about lynching on D1, with no actual info (tracking, investigating etc) to base your vote upon. Especially since this is two games I've played now, with no NK on N1. Is that a pretty common setup for Mafia games? If so, why doesn't town use N1 to use all their Power Roles to try and get some ACTUAL intel? Instead of just shooting in the dark on D1? Like I said before, seems just as likely that you're gonna lynch a PR as you are to lynch a Mafia..

And, I still have doubts about lynching on D1, with no actual info (tracking, investigating etc) to base your vote upon. Especially since this is two games I've played now, with no NK on N1. Is that a pretty common setup for Mafia games? If so, why doesn't town use N1 to use all their Power Roles to try and get some ACTUAL intel? Instead of just shooting in the dark on D1? Like I said before, seems just as likely that you're gonna lynch a PR as you are to lynch a Mafia..

Starting with a Twilight phase is fairly common, as it gives people a chance to banter and draw some initial conclusions without anyone being ejected from the party early.

The no-kill on N1 is not common - SS did it first in his game, and I liked it so tweaked it to suit my needs.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High