2021 Spring RFL Results Thread: Areas (Round Three)

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
Alright, let's see what the finale had to offer, with a very open race going into the last round and much room for movement at the top!
Pb_pal (10 pts)
Cham 27.5
Ber 20.5
Ber 20.5
Sur 13.7
Ist 7.5
Total: 89.7

Nano (8 pts)
Jah 18.3
Lo 15.1
Lo 15.1
Lo 15.1
Sur 13.7
Total: 77.3

Apila (6 pts)
Cham - 27.5
Jah - 18.3
Vex - 10.6
Ohm - 10.1
Gul - 7.1
Total: 73.6

Luhkoh (5 pts)
Ber - 20.5
Ber - 20.5
Vex - 10.6
Vex - 10.6
Ist - 7.5
Total - 69.7

Saracen85 (4 pts)
Lo 15.1
Lo 15.1
Ohm 10.1
Ohm 10.1
Ist 7.5
Total 57.4

CaseyJones (3 pts)
Ber - 20.5
Jah - 18.3
Um - 5.1
Um - 5.1
Mal - 5.0
Total: 54.0

J-Dog (2 pts)
Ber 20.5
Ohm 10.1
Ist 7.5
Gul 7.1
Gul 7.1
Total 52.3

maxicek (1 pt)
Pul 3.4
Um 5.1
Gul 7.1
Ohm 10.1
Lo 15.1
Total 40.8

DaveW
Pul 3.4
Ber 20.5
Total 23.9

PhineasB
Ist 7.5
Um 5.1
Mal 5.0
Total 17.6

Babyhell
Vex 10.6
Total: 10.6

Vildecor
Ist 7.5
Total 7.5

Excalibur
Pul - 3.4
Total - 3.4

Swamigoon
No runes

DCD2
Withdrew to drop a Cham at Cows . . .

Terroriffic
Pending

The final standings (drum roll):
Nano (20 pts)
Pb_pal (18 pts)
Luhkoh (16 pts)
Vildecor (14 pts)
D2DC (10 pts)
Swamigoon (8 pts)
Maxicek (8 pts)
CaseyJones (7 pts)
saracen85 (6 pts)
Apila (6 pts)
Terroriffic (2 pts)
J-Dog (2 pts)

Actually, little surprise, @Nano won :p But quite some movement in standings across the rounds, so kudos to everyone at the top, and really everyone who scored points:

Thanks to everyone for participating and keeping this such a lively SPF event. I think the 17-day round format worked well, so I'm thinking we should stick with that if we do this again next year. Participation was a bit lower than past years though and the running threads weren't as active, so it may be worth discussing a tweak to format (maybe just two rounds, or one with different options like MFO?). But plenty of time to sort that out :) Thanks everyone for participating and keeping the RFL a great SPF event!

PS. Please don't forget to post about your runner in the Meet the Rune Finders thread.

Congrats @Nano for the victory, @Pb_pal and @Luhkoh for the podium!

@Vildecor, you couldn't hold it until round 3, but that was a really good run from you given the freshness of your characters. Well done!

And thanks @PhineasB for hosting this edition, RFL is still ro(ck)lling..!

Reactions: PhineasB
Oh, I feel quite jealous seeing all those runes. I had the worst luck during this round. I completed a 20 hours set, at Players 8, non-stop farming WSK Level 2 & 3, Throne Room + Baal and Chaos Sanctuary and all I got was a Pul literally 40 minutes before completing the set.

I had a sudden death in the Throne Room when I teleported close to to a Stygian doll which my mercenary killed at once. At the same time, an oblivion knight nearby cursed me and I instantly died. An intelligent person would simply reload the game but I am too stubborn to let all that experience go to waste. I really can't stand it so I tried to recover my corpse. In order to do that I had to pass through Gloams from WSK 2 which I hadn't cleared and the setting was to P8.

Of course this seems imposible but the waypoint was just next to the WSK 3 entrance so I had to try. It didn't go quite well and one death brought another and so on. I think I ended up dying more than 5 times at a point were my rage was so huge I just wanted to delete the whole game. Running so slow, casting extremely slow and taking hours to recover from a hit was not helping at all my madness at that time. I literally have no idea how I managed to recover all the corpses but still the experience loss was huge. I spent the rest two hours farming Baal only to recover as much experience as I could otherwise I couldn't calm down.

The only thing that I keep from those runs is eventually leveling my sorcy from 94 to 95 and some nice rare Boots. The video below shows a regular farming playthrough.

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting the tourney. I only took part in the third round, as I was interested in Arcane Sanctuary. And I was pleasantly surprised, for sure.

Screenshot036.jpgScreenshot035.jpgScreenshot034.jpgScreenshot029.jpgScreenshot028.jpg

Screenshot038.jpg

Sadly you can't really get anything special apart from the runes, but I still managed to find Arcanna's Amulet which I was missing. So that's cool too.

GoMule auto-backups characters and stashes, and those backups are backupped in Google Drive. With runes there's no fingerprints tough, but I guess it wouldn't matter (and no real way to tell?) if the rune that was lost due to crash is really the same rune restored from some backup.

As for the S/U-pics, I don't really know as I've never took one. I guess you could do it easily with self-MP. If you ID the items you could wear some of them.

Reactions: d2lover
Thanks @PhineasB for hosting this year. I don't care where I ended up that round, I managed to get my much desired enigma runes for my UT99er javazon :) I believe this is the 3rd year running this same character in arcane for RFL and the first time I have had the runes for it.

I managed to pick up a mage plate base and the ith rune too :) I also went from 90.5 to 91.5 so all in all a very good round for me.

Congrats to all of the winners! Quite a showing up at the top!

Reactions: PhineasB and Luhkoh
Wowee I barely hung in there. Pb_pal almost pulled off the come from behind victory.
Some nice drops by others as well, congrats! Thanks to PhineasB for hosting as always.

For Set 1, I was able to put in 20 hours by the 2nd weekend of round 3, just in case I needed enough time for a 2nd set. Round 3 areas do not drop as well as the first two rounds of RFL, and it was more likely that I could end with a particularly poor set of runes. That turned out to be the case- with the exception of the 1st hour starting off great with a Cham rune, the remaining 19 hours were rather poor.
A8LiM60.jpg

This would have scored 54.3, about half carried by the Cham. I did find some nice uniques, but rolls weren't great.

Set 2 in the AS also started out hot in the 1st hour with Jah and 2x Lo, and the remaining time rounded out the rest of the qualifiers:
np9MT99.jpg

RFL 2021 Full Screenshot Album

That's 16 qualifiers in the AS vs 7 qualifiers in the CS, but is the AS really that much better?

Code:
                 Sorc   Zon
Area               CS    AS
Players             7     7
Qualifiers          7    16
Runs             1258  1242
Avg Time Per Run 0:57  0:58

Small Charms      241   323
Grand Charms      268   296
Jewels            257   255

Kills Per Min*    161   184
*Based on drops with 1 in 758 chance to drop in P7 setting.

Kills are based off of normal monster drop rates, not ghost types. CS isn't too far behind, but I felt I didn't run AS as optimally- went after too many goat and ghoul groups. MF Run Counter had 82016 and 117717 kills for CS and AS respectively, but it's not useful without the ghost type breakdown.

There were some decent charms in the drops, nothing eye popping though.
Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0xda8473d3
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 31 Meteor when you Die
Adds 17 - 45 Fire Damage
-3% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+4% to Fire Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xcb835254
Item Level: 88
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-5% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+4% to Lightning Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x253a7772
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 31 Meteor when you Die
Adds 17 - 45 Fire Damage
-4% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+3% to Fire Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x2bc1e3fb
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 29 Blaze when you Level-Up
Adds 17 - 45 Fire Damage
-5% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+3% to Fire Skill Damage

Wisp Projector
Ring
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x78756822
10% Chance to cast level 16 Lightning on striking
Lightning Absorb 11%
12% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 7 Spirit of Barbs (7/11 Charges)
Level 5 Heart of Wolverine (7/13 Charges)
Level 2 Oak Sage (4/15 Charges)

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0xfaa505
+1 to All Skills
4% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

Wisp Projector
Ring
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x555944b6
10% Chance to cast level 16 Lightning on striking
Lightning Absorb 13%
15% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 7 Spirit of Barbs (3/11 Charges)
Level 5 Heart of Wolverine (2/13 Charges)
Level 2 Oak Sage (7/15 Charges)

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 135
Durability: 13 of 24
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 167
Fingerprint: 0x970f8edf
Item Level: 87
Unidentified
+1 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+88% Enhanced Defense
+18 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 136
Durability: 12 of 24
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 167
Fingerprint: 0x45450ed2
Item Level: 87
Unidentified
+2 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+89% Enhanced Defense
+22 to Dexterity
Requirements -20%

Burning Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0x8e67c344
Unidentified
+1 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)
+6 to Life

Fungal Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x1feb1353
Unidentified
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
+10 to Life

Steel Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x60616ae
Unidentified
+32 to Attack Rating
+20 to Life

Shogukusha's Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9170ece4
Item Level: 79
Unidentified
+1 to Martial Art Skills (Assassin Only)
+28 to Life

Lion Branded Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x674b446f
Unidentified
+1 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Emerald Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0xa90298cd
Unidentified
Poison Resist +11%
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Emerald Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0x9ea179a4
Unidentified
Poison Resist +11%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Snake's Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0xd828a66
Unidentified
+14 to Life
+12 to Mana

Gah! I spent my Lo Runes. Next time need to remember to keep them and do the fancy "drop everything on the floor" flex. 😅

My qualifiers:

Pul x 8
Um x 5
Mal x 1
Ist x 2
Ohm x 2
Lo x 2

2x Lo from Packs in L5 Tower. 2x Ohm from Arcane. Not bad considering I only ran 1/8 of the full area (just to get to Summoner). Beats my previous high of Ist.

D2 Drop - 20210418 - Lo - Tower Cellar 5.png

D2 Drop - 20210421 - Lo - Tower Cellar 5.png

D2 Drop - 20210420 - Ohm - Arcane Sanctuary.png

D2 Drop - 20210422 - Ohm - Arcane Sanctuary.png

Work was really stressful during the last week, so my side journey back to Trav to finish finding the runes for Enigma ended up hurting me in the long run. I only managed 8.5 hours of CS on the blizz sorc, and the Hammerdin probably wouldn't have been too bad if I'd had the time to level him up. All in all though, I'm still very happy with my results this RFL. It's only my second time competing, and I believe the first time I've actually participated for all three rounds. My main goal was achieved (finding the runes for Enigma), even if it technically happened outside the area I was supposed to be running!

My lone qualifier, found during run 39 of 224 completed runs:
Screenshot002.jpg

A huge thank you to @PhineasB for hosting this year and to @Pb_pal for donating the gear to allow me to be able to participate! Also, a big congratulations to @Nano for pulling out the Big W (as I suspected), and to @Pb_pal and @Luhkoh for knocking me out of the top 3. I'd have hated to place in the top 3 due to one crazy Trav set!

The motivation this last week was really low due to work, and even this weekend I really had no drive to keep running. Felt like I needed a change of pace, so I fired up Morrowind again. You'll still see me around these parts, but it may be a bit before I participate in events. Nothing like a nice little break to recharge the batteries.

Nice drops everyone and congrats to @Nano

I ran the first 10 hours with Venomancer in the Pits:
Lars.png

The rest I ran mostly with Fire Sorcecress Orion in WSK, Glacial Trail and AS. My Fire Druid BurningLoins got around 2 hours of action too which included some WSK, Glacial Trail and 100 Pindle runs.

Here's the runes:

Screenshot029.jpg
Screenshot039.jpg
Screenshot054.jpg
An ok result I suppose. Three highrunes would've been nice, four would've been great and 5 would've been silly considering my efficiency. That Ber was nice though. First Ber for me from a monster so that's cool.

Here are some charms and jewels I picked up:
Screenshot053.jpg
- RoF is ias/25 fire res
- Sharp GC of Subst. is 9/50/35
- Shimmering SC of Inertia is 3/3

I think RNGsus confused RFL with MFO in my case. Here's the item haul:
Screenshot052.jpg
That's:
- 2 Eartshifter and 1 Cranium Basher (grailer)
- 13/-20 Griffon's
- 1/-41 Death's Web
- Eth Hone Sundan and Kelpie Snare
- 5/-4 cold facet
- Arctic Furs, Gull and Dragonscale (which I've ID'd, lame!) are grailers

Most ridiculous drop was Death's Web from Pindle on run 3. Should've just stopped farming him right there and then 😅

Had a great time and thanks to @PhineasB for hosting!

Last edited:
Wow congrats! I thought I had top 3 for this round guaranteed, but you all are too good! What a set, @Pb_pal. I think that's the same score I got in what I thought was a crazy round 2 set. And of course congrats to @Nano on that overall win.

Haul Pic
FBvMK1R.png

I was pretty happy with how the set went. I've historically been very unlucky in arcane compared to other areas, and yet I keep coming back :D. Too cool an area that I wouldn't run if it weren't so perfect for round 3. The set progressed at about my usual arcane pace with nothing exciting dropping until the ber dropped about 2/3 through. Was realllly hoping for another ber/jah drop before the end, but didn't really believe it would happen. Then the second ber showed up a couple of hours before the end! And so with that, I was able to drop and/or cube a jah (which are all I need for the runeword grail) in every set. Quite a nice rfl! Also I remember last year, I had set a goal to get 60+ points in every rfl set, and I got it in none of them. But this year I got that goal!

Some other stats
  • flawless amethysts - 180
  • small charms - 249
  • 7mfscs - 9 (holy crap thats a lot, one had 5 cold res, one had 6 poison res)
  • 20life/9fres sc, 13life/11lres sc
  • 40mf gheeds
  • 2 telling of beads
  • 28 rare rings
  • 1.09 cubed jahs
That flawless amethyst total was impressive. Almost as much as in the trav round. Made me wonder if my arcane runs are actrually more efficient than my cow runs (since amethysts are the same proportion to runes), but I probably don't see many more flawless amethysts in the cow level than in arcane. I also have over 1k flawless amethysts now 0_0. Epic crafting session soon(ish).

Thanks @PhineasB for hosting. Its been super fun as always. I would be a bit sad if we lost any of the rounds in RFL in the future (cows is most characters, trav is most efficiency, round 3 is most theorycrafting, as well as only reason to ever run arcane), but I absolutely agree everybody seems more tired and interest is lower (including for me) by the end of such a long tourney. Maybe we can figure out something creative next year like one set being 10 hours of two areas for 20 hours total or something.

EDIT: also meant to add holy crap @J-Dog that is an insane mf haul for round 3. Would be a great mfo result.

Last edited:
As mentioned in the running thread, I focused on my untwinked 99er Druid for this round, finishing one set and getting almost 8.5 hours into a second. I called it quits when he hit 96.75, so he got 3/4 of the level during the round, which was nice progress and his first since November.

Non-qualifiers were solid, with Mang's and four other TC87 uniques. Runes? Less so :) Mal, Ist, and Um in the first set, and two Ums in the partial second. And he had two Puls from the chest during set 1, and a Gul for set 2. But XP (and getting him back moving again) was the main goal, so no complaints, especially with the Ber he picked up during some warm up runs before the start of the round.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Good fun! And to ensure we don't lose track of this gem of creative writing (and creative complaining), quoting it again here:
Complaints Department
PO Box 666
Pandemonium Fortress
Hell

To Whom it May Concern:

I have now been seeking the advertised great Rune Wealth for over thirteen hours in the Chaos Sanctuary, at great personal risk to myself. And even greater risk to my Mercenary Mizan I may add. Your representative Tyrael asks me to do his dirty work, slaying the demons and undead time and time again in some Demonic sort of Groundhog Day, yet still profits from the many deaths of my companion. Not very angelic in my opinion.

I would therefore like to formally complain that the advertised riches are not as expected and request that you better compensate me for my time in the remaining seven hours of the contract.

Yours Sincerely

Smith
Level 96 Hammerdin.

A nice setup from @PhineasB for my post :)

I always have high hopes for this round, probably caused by the first time I ran it in 2018. Since then I seem to have been disappointed, this is actually my second highest score (although finding the Balance was better though with a 75.1.)

Things started well with a Gul, shortly followed by a Lo.

RFL 2021 Areas Lo.jpg

Not long after that a Mal and a Pul. Then around the six hour mark an Ohm brought me to five qualifiers.

RFL 2021 Areas Ohm.jpg

So, six hours in, five qualifiers, surely I can improve on this in the remaining fourteen hours and post a reasonable score?
Right?
Wrong.

Despite official complaints I didn't see anything above a Fal for the next 14 hours. I was mainly doing two seal runs for exp, so I was a bit slow. Playing when tired meant I was looking at this a lot:

RFL 2021 Areas Death.jpg

I think my XP net gain was about zero, based on the early screenshots.

Non-Qualifiers
29x Perfect Amethyst
22x Perfect Ruby
13x Perfect Skull
24x Ral
22x Sol
7x Hel

Best drops:
Code:
Viper Touch
Ring
Required Level: 74