1.00 News, Info and Gossip

By chance this thread found its way back to front page. I started just today a trio of Barb/sorc/necro, and reached Outer Cloister. On the way I found a Gull dagger. Good start.

Since it's all new, I've been going very slow, nearly full clearing everything along the way.

Using abilities (Bash mainly) is pretty weird/hard, seems that it's quite different from more modern patches.

The characters seem to move very fast; maybe it's just the resolution playing tricks on my mind?

I also suffer from the bug with the D2Glide.dll (the one with the characters rolling in top left.) Switching between games takes crucial time, and has led to a couple of deaths already. Haven't found a working fix for 1.00 yet, but it's not too terrible. It does affect loading times significantly, so it may affect me negatively in the future. If anyone is curious about this bug, or is perhaps suffering from it, this post from the old forums contains more information and fixes for 1.07 and 1.10+ (post #30).

That indeed is a very, VERY good question 😅😅😅 I really cant tell. Especially not, because i did it with Duri that way....

Edit: Ah, i remember why: The sorce was already in Hell. So someone had to enter the TP at the pillar near the center pentagram to get the quest. I was afraid, if i couldnt do it in time, Diablo maybe would jump the rushee and kill him. So in order to do it as quick and safe as possible, i preloaded all chars.

Edit2: @Apila, thx for the info. I already tried to find the lines in 1.00 but had no success ^^ The delay is not too bad though.

Last edited:
Apparently your corpse spawns in a different place. My whole party wiped out to a ghost pack in Arcane Sanctuary (Cursed, no chance at all). I thought I had lost all my gear on top of that.

Maggot Lair was pretty fun. Coldworm's lair was packed, so the Sorc and Necro rejoiced. Also, a hatched egg sack dropped Sparkling Mail.

Desyncing is a problem at times.

Vs the undead eagles who attack very fast I found out that "attacker takes damage" is golden, they kill themselfes.

works even on a vitaless barbar, but I'm afraid other chars have to stat vita for that strat.

Currently I play through act2 with my spear barb, which at level 18 gets a quintuple dura ~140 max dmg Pike, which should take care of everything not named deseis.

The chaos sanctuarium WILL be a pain, because it has to be a LAN game (I join with 5 characters for diabloquest), so it will have desync and deseis.

With leapattack it will hopefully be ok.

the joiners are:

Ace-Barbar
Ace-Necromancer
Ace-Paladin
Ace-Sorceress
Bulkathos-Wife (sorceress)

all of them will be leveled in 1.07.
"Ace" because then they appear in the top of the list, makes joining them easier.

@IQuitWoWForThis how was it again, is andariel questbugged if you go east in 1.00, for 1.10a?

Last edited:
Don't use Leap Attack while De Seis is out. He can crash the game while thieving a potion when you are leaping. IDK if he corrupts the character, I've not done it myself, only have read about it.

Pikeman is my playchar for 1.00, as you see I beat Diablo normal now.

Wasn't all too difficult, I cleared everything p1 and joined after activating diablo, so he was easy too!

He dropped a ton of stuff, but it was all trash, is the drop from dia dependant on playersetting?

Also where to level the last 5 important levels? for WW :)

ass.png

I can confirm that a 1.00 rushee gets the questbug in 1.14d(and therefore I think in any 1.10+ patch) andariel if he goes east after having completed the andariel quest.

tested with a burnerdin

My party is now in act1 hell.

Diablo nm dropped 2 uniques :O

the Pikeman is lvl ~40 or so

I get all skillquests and statquests for my rushees except norm (where they can do it themselfes, eventually)

Do we know how rares are rolled in 1.00? I have been running the Cow King for Greaves, I have now found four identical pairs of boots like this one:
Greaves Skull Spur.jpg

Exactly the same name, stats, everything. From what people have done before, I expect them to have different finger prints when forwarded to 1.07.

I'm wondering what the implication of these items is? Obviously this is not random, but does this mean the possible variation in boots is truncated somehow? Maybe in some map seeds godly tri-resist boots just don't exist?

It's not some obvious mechanism at play here. From what fruit told me the reason you see dupes from running CK or Champs near waypoints is that the seed from which the item is generated is not "random" enough. The actual rolling of base item, quality and then stats is more or less like in later versions (albeit slightly different details for each step) and assuming a "random" seed you should get "random" items from it.

Apparently the map seed (which is the same each game unless you reroll) is used as the starting off point for the above mentioned seed and as you go through the game you do stuff to influence it. I think visiting tiles is one of those things and so is spawning missiles on tiles as well as the AI of a monster making decisions. If I understand fruit correctly you can't influence the frequency with which the AI of a monster makes decisions but you can take the exact same route and spawn the exact same number of missiles on each tile so that at least these modifications to the seed are reproducible. So if you do everything the same and you get the same amount of AI decisions you should be able to get a dupe with enough tries. And by doing stuff differently you should be able to force different outcomes but then again there's only so much you can do different without the run becoming tedious to pull off.

You say that people forwarded 1.00 "dupes" to 1.07 and got different seeds? Is there a source for that?

If you want you can send me a mule with those 4 items and I can check their fingerprints and see if they agree.

That sounds like what I see with Cow King patterns certainly. The more he moves around, the more different patterns he drops.

@Helvete observed that he felt the the drop patterns varied depending on where you kill the CK. My feeling is you get more variation the longer he moves around and the longer it takes to kill him. Certainly I don’t see different patterns by killing him in different places, but I do see more variation.

I will check at least a couple of the fingerprints later, I have a full mule to move. I seem to remember different fingerprints but my memory may be flawed.

I will check at least a couple of the fingerprints later, I have a full mule to move. I seem to remember different fingerprints but my memory may be flawed.
My offer was actually to check them while they are still in 1.00. What happens to them in 1.07 isn't clear to me (or anyone for that matter).

Reactions: maxicek
Someone still plays this? =)

I decided to find a failed pike because that 25 dura is gone in minutes.. I rolled MP games and finally I found a nice map. It drops Full Plate Mail-Pike-Ring in one pattern:
01_FPMail-Pike-Ring.jpg
And another shot:
02_FPMail-Pike-Ring.jpg
One pattern drops a Ring directly:
03_Ring.jpg
And one more drops Pike-Gauntlets (or the other order) -War Sword:
04_Pike-Gauntlets-War_Sword.jpg

So now I get lots of Pikes And Rings. No keeper Pikes so far.

That MP game is hosted in Ubuntu+Wine virtual machine which can be suspended when I want to power off my computer. Resume the VM and the game is up and running again =) FYI, Net gets interrupted with Windows 7 guest when resumed so no good.

m4ke

Reactions: art_vandelay
Someone still plays this? =)

I do, or at least plan to. LoD v1.07 has kept me busy for now.

-

Here's a writeup of my experiences in 1.00.

It's late summer of 2019 and once again I felt like "it would be nice to play some D2". I wanted to try something different though, so I went to dii.net to check if the forums are still alive. Soon I noticed discussion threads on playing certain old patches and a plan was born: go back to classic 1.00 to experience the game as it was when I first played it almost 20 years ago, try to collect some items which are harder or impossible to find in current patches and then move onward to next old patch of interest, ultimately bringing everything to 1.14d.

I Installed the game, launched it... wow, this resolution is so tiny, gotta find that glide wrapper I used with 1.14d. Fortunately the wrapper worked and I got the game to run smoothly in a 1024x768 window with mouse capture. I also managed to get multi-instance dll to work. The next moment of shock and horror awaited around the corner: you cannot create a HC character right out of the box, you must have a character who has completed normal in your save folder. After serching the web and asking dii.net, there's no way to bypass this :rolleyes: I bit the bullet, created a SC barb and proceeded to kill Diablo ASAP to get where I wanted to be. Completing the game wasn't exactly fast or easy, but it didn't take too long either, because that was the only goal I had. There was no need to save skill points for higher lvl skills or anything, just smash Diablo in the face and be done with it. Playing through the game in SC first was also useful for safely scouting the dangers that lie ahead (some nasty unique bosses like Endugu).

Now, with the HC tick available I created 8 HC characters: 3 barbs, 3 sorcs and 2 necros. I knew the progress on p8 would be painfully slow until Whirlwind is usable (lvl 30 + enough mana leech), but on the other hand, I need a decent sorc in 1.00 and a decent sorc + barb to forward to 1.07. So at least 4 high level characters are needed. Leveling all of them individually would be even slower. Also, if my main barb happens to die, I would have a backup barb right there and looting the corpse of the dead main barb would be possible too. Playing on p8 would also make it easier to keep the character overleveled and thus making everything safer. Sounds like a plan? :unsure:

Because experience sharing in 1.00 is not limited to 2 screens or anything like that (being in the same area is enough), this is what I did through all of normal: use the main barb to clear the entrance to the next area, bring the "rushees" standing there, kill everything with main barb, clear the next area entrance etc. I cannot remember everything correctly anymore, but I think on normal difficulty the River of Flame was the only place where I stopped to do runs (maggots) to level up some more.

Lucky drops: in the beginning of act 2 (Dry Hills I think) this thing hit the ground:

lowlvl_spetum.png

I think that spetum was used until lvl 30 (= switch to pike + WW).

Another great thing dropped in Tal's tomb: unique pike:

UNIQ_pike.png

That stick got equipped at lvl 30. The slow speed doesn't matter with WW and the durability is yummy. When attacking with Concentrate the rare spetum was better (not much difference in dmg and the spetum is faster).

After killing Diablo it was time to start bullying the Cow King. Got some nice rares with resists, life etc from him, also a bunch of uniques. Nagelring and Manald Heal were pretty easy to get and soon the first SoJ followed. I ran the Cow King until I felt the main barb was adequately equipped for both NM and Hell. Never managed to get a good failed pike, this was the best:

FAILED_pike.png

These are the pikes I actually used (and still use):

LL_pike.png

Decent damage and the life leech is great, knockback doesn't really bother me when running maggots.

DMG_pike.png

Better dmg and faster when not using WW, but no life leech.

On NM and Hell I didn't bother dragging the rushees along the main barb to every area, I just went through the quests ASAP to get to River of Flame maggots. I think I leveled to 60 something on NM maggots, then moved on to hell RoF maggots. Also tried a firewall sorc at Coldworm the Burrowers lair - it works, but clearing the mess of drops from that one small room is cumbersome. Now I have reached lvl 84 with main barb + got the 7 rushees to lvl 78. One of the sorcs and some gear has been forwarded to LoD 1.07 already.

I skipped the Hellforge on both NM and Hell. I read enough horror stories of Hephasto "hitting like a truck" and also remember hell Hephasto killing my first ever "successful" character in one hit (1.2k life battlehammer-wielding Bash Barb with stats and skills all over place - still managed to kill diablo and reach lvl 87!). I'm not going to fight that guy, staying alive is too precious... if I ever accidentially manage to aggro Hephasto on my RoF runs, I immediately S&E.

Some random notes and thoughts along the way:
  • That narrow, vertical, alphabetical character selection menu is harmful for one's mental health
  • Aaaaaahhhhh, those lightning strikes melt my eyes!
  • It's so empty in here...
  • ... and these drops suck, even on p8
  • Repairing each item individually is a pain in the ass...
  • ... but that pain in the ass pays well
  • You can leech off of skeletons
  • Hello Flamespike Crawler
  • Thank god I'm not a sorceress
  • Shaman/healer/etc packs are nuts
  • Maggot spawning is nuts
  • Teleporters are nuts
  • Nuts are nuts
  • Mobs have a really weird aggro range, I guess this is the "star bug"
  • Lightning spires in Arcane Sanctuary work differently
  • Greater Mummy "unholy bolt" doesn't do noticeable dmg and the sound fx is different
  • Duriel can Charge - thank god I'm not a sorceress
  • What's up with the act 3 shamans attempting to cast a curse? Doesn't seem to work...
  • Durance 3 is manageable in size
  • Hellforge hammer must be identified before use
  • Hey, there's a health shrine in the middle of the deadly lava lake *jumps in*
  • The drops are so patterned it makes my head hurt - there's nothing like finding the exact same rare on two consecutive runs
  • Accumulated gold will last a looooong time if you keep gambling those low TC bases

What next?
  • Build a gold find barb
  • Gamble the gold, I could use some great rare boots...
  • Level up the rushees/backup characters more
  • Prepare Hellforege Rushees for collecting the rewards in 1.10 beta

So far, I haven't got any truly great rares. I think this is the best:

TRIRES_belt.png

I have enough SoJs for now though:

sojs.png

32 of them on the mule, 2 on my 1.00 sorc and 2 forwarded to 1.07 for a total of 36. Most of them I got from Cow King. I suspect there's going to be at least a few identical fingerprints...

Last edited:
What's up with the act 3 shamans attempting to cast a curse? Doesn't seem to work...

I believe it's the Fetish Aura skill. It does nothing, since the parameters are messed up. They cast it in 1.07 and 1.09 as well; most likely in 1.08 as well though I haven't personally witnessed it. In 1.10, it was disabled (via making the AI not cast it at all).
Hello Flamespike Crawler

I'm seriously happy he was removed (in 1.08? or 1.09). He was insanely dangerous in 1.00 and 1.07. I had very heated battles against him, with many deaths (juggling between MP chars).

When SOJ farming how many minutes per SOJ would you say it takes? It could be an interesting source of consumables to reroll rare jewels in 1.08 while preserving ilvl (I think?).

Reactions: D2DC
When SOJ farming how many minutes per SOJ would you say it takes? It could be an interesting source of consumables to reroll rare jewels in 1.08 while preserving ilvl (I think?).
I'd say I could farm 5 SoJs per hour from Cow King on normal using my WW barb. With a good map and optimized runner you could get more.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High