1.00 News, Info and Gossip

Hi. silly question. While rushing chars through norm, how do they get the quest completion for diablo? Do the rushees have to attack big D or open the seals? Have tried a couple combinations now and they all end in quest cannot be completed in this game.

It's been a long time since I played v1.0, but in later versions, 1 partied player without the quest must be within a couple screens of Diablo when he dies to trigger quest completion for all partied players. No need for them to open seals or actually attack big D, just be within a couple screens...note that if you're playing softcore, said character can be dead at Diablo's feet... as long as you haven't hit ESC (which will put you back in town), a dead toon is still 'present' for quest completion. This actually works in Hardcore as well... the character that died is dead, but the rest of the partied players will get quest completion because of the dead toon's 'presence'

If your rushing character can go toe-to-toe with Diablo and keep him from moving much, there is a nook above the pentagram at the start of de Seis' wing of the CS that will protect the rushee from Diablo's area attacks, but is still close enough to trigger quest completion...

WoRG

Reactions: lizard
Hehe, "martyr" characters in HC to get low level chars through xD

What a time to be alive ;)

Thanks for the reply WOoRG. I'll try that and report back.

sacrificing 1 char to proceed 6 others is a sacrifice i would be willing to make, but i will try the de seis nook first. :D

Edit:
Proximity worked or should i say WoRGed.

I see myself out....

Last edited:
When rushing in 1.00 be careful with Duriel. The rushing char (which presumably has completed the difficulty) can become bugged and lose their character title and ability to create/join games in any difficulty higher than the one the rush is occurring in. E.g., a Baron(ess) rushing another character through normal can become permanently locked in normal if bugged in this way.

I believe it has to do with being in the chamber and in the same party when Duriel dies. Though someone else may have more details.

When rushing in 1.00 be careful with Duriel. The rushing char (which presumably has completed the difficulty) can become bugged and lose their character title and ability to create/join games in any difficulty higher than the one the rush is occurring in. E.g., a Baron(ess) rushing another character through normal can become permanently locked in normal if bugged in this way.

I believe it has to do with being in the chamber and in the same party when Duriel dies. Though someone else may have more details.
I thought it had to do with tyrael when the rushee talka to him.

I am following the description in the vortex timetravel guide.

The difficulty softlock is the very first item in the Classic section of this guide:
Fruit explained it really well, his explanation is in the first spoiler.

It should be noted that such a softlock can only be fixed by editing a save file which is forbidden by the forum rules.

Reactions: lizard
An update on my Hammerdin:

I pushed through NM the last couple days, after rushing some chars through norm and doing a couple CS for money to gamble a wall of the eyelss, but no boneshield would get upgraded.

I finally just tried again to push through the maggot lair, and it worked much better this time and I had better map luck. at the main chamber, i just rushed in before maggots could clog the entry and i had the horadrim staff in my hand soon after. the rest was rather uneventful and duriel fell quickly.

Act 3 and Act 4 were a bit more challengeing, but I have quite a bit of life at this point (ca 600), so no big problems. Now, my hammerdin is a Duke and I began gambling:

Chance Guards
Goblin Toe

and finally

Wall of the Eyeless

all within 100-200k of each other after a good 600k without any uniques previously.

I rolled a really good cow map with the portal right beside the cow king stable and plan to run him a bit on NM to improve my resistances before i tackle Hell.

Reactions: Helvete
Gambling works too. Items brought into the game by a character don't count if they're on the ground.

Are you sure? I spent last week getting some SoJs but I've never had it gambled when there was one in the game. It's 1.06b, not 1.00 so that might be different, but I've spent ~2M gold to get second SoJ and nothing. Then I mule it off and it drops almost right away. I've tried dropping it in other acts etc but just no dice.

1.00 HC update:
My Hammerdude is level 42 now and in Act 2 Hell.
Maggot Lair as expected is a pain in the butt and I instead focused on some cows to find replacement gear and get some duplicate uniques, for when I inevitably die with my hammerdin.
Found a great map with portal inside the cow king stable and trist nearby.
Two patterns i can reliably farm is a ring pattern for SoJs
and a double Mask, double Greaves + Ring pattern

Ended up farming 10 SoJs, Frostburns, some rare masks and greaves and gambled a second Magefists.
No tri-res boots so far, but some usable gear for other planned characters (Goldbarb, Sorc and Zon, thinking of trying a Javazon).

Screenshot from 2021-12-06 14-22-49.png
prob the best fcr ring i found so far

and its smaller cousin

Viper Master
Ring
11% Better Chance of Getting Magic Item
+4 to Strength
Fast Cast Rate
Fire Resist 9%
Lightning Resist 29%
Magic Damage Reduced by 2

---

Spirit Stalker
Greaves
+34% to Defense
Fire Resist 24%
Fast Run/Walk
Cold Resist 9%
+16 to Life
Fastest Hit Recovery

---

Pain Track
Greaves
+27 to Life
Lightning Resist 34%
+60% to Defense
Fast Hit Recovery
86% Extra Gold From Monsters

both boots are prob going on my goldbard for leveling

I hope to push this char as far as I can get level wise, I am really enjoying Classic and do not miss the Charms taking up all the inv space. Now instead its Mana pots taking up all the space ;P.

I know it takes a long time, but I might push this char into high levels (90+) once I reach Act 4 to unlock Amu gambling. Its a loooong term goal and who knows how far I can take this guy.

Are you sure? I spent last week getting some SoJs but I've never had it gambled when there was one in the game. It's 1.06b, not 1.00 so that might be different, but I've spent ~2M gold to get second SoJ and nothing. Then I mule it off and it drops almost right away. I've tried dropping it in other acts etc but just no dice.

I am pretty sure I got my second Magefists that way. dropped them on the ground and gambled a new pair. I will double check on my next gambling spree.

Just stay a LONG way away from Hephasto The Armored Tank in hell. Hellforge isn't worth it in classic anyway, so no big loss.

Reactions: lizard and Barl
Hi. silly question. While rushing chars through norm, how do they get the quest completion for diablo? Do the rushees have to attack big D or open the seals? Have tried a couple combinations now and they all end in quest cannot be completed in this game.

Bit late reply, but you can also park characters in corners of some of the pillars. You can only safely park two characters (assuming you have a character that can kill Diablo fast) while third or fourth one is bit risky unless you space it just right as the fire nova will often hit the ones behind the safe ones. I can attest its safety in HC having done it myself in 1.10-> onwards as well as have replicated this in softcore during time traveling as well. That is of course if you park properly behind the pillar which may take just a little bit of practice.

(Screenshots: the pillars in question and how you should place the character. It may take some practice so best you do get hang of it as the rusher and before you open the final seal, set up TP and park the characters there.)

Also I double helvete's remark if you find yourself on a branched route that leads to conspicuous dead end that has nothing concrete in sight (after all, the path to waypoint + Chaos Sanctuary is always aligned northeast so to speak), turn away or enjoy your newfound survival horror experience.

Attachments

• Screenshot63.jpg
    Screenshot63.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot64.jpg
    Screenshot64.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Helvete and lizard
Bit late reply, but you can also park characters in corners of some of the pillars. You can only safely park two characters (assuming you have a character that can kill Diablo fast) while third or fourth one is bit risky unless you space it just right as the fire nova will often hit the ones behind the safe ones. I can attest its safety in HC having done it myself in 1.10-> onwards as well as have replicated this in softcore during time traveling as well. That is of course if you park properly behind the pillar which may take just a little bit of practice.

(Screenshots: the pillars in question and how you should place the character. It may take some practice so best you do get hang of it as the rusher and before you open the final seal, set up TP and park the characters there.)

Also I double helvete's remark if you find yourself on a branched route that leads to conspicuous dead end that has nothing concrete in sight (after all, the path to waypoint + Chaos Sanctuary is always aligned northeast so to speak), turn away or enjoy your newfound survival horror experience.

Thanks for the info. I remember those pillars from speedruns i used to watch, where llamasc would lock Diablo behind on of those pillars, to avoid his spells.
I think i will try it out on normal, but go with de seis nook on nightmare, if I have to rush characters.

Agreed on Hephaisto. I remember him from back in the day, giving me a hard time.

Re gambling with uniques on ground:
I gambled a 200 dura boneshield the other day, but i can't remember 100% if my Wall of the Eyeless was on the ground or if I forgot to drop it. I gamble here and there in between cow runs and have not had the time to test it properly.
And from anecdotal eveidence, I feel like the odds to find a rare from gambling are lower than finding uniques, at least in my case. I have gambled way more uniques than rares so far.

Does anyone have some more playthroughs of pre-LoD classic or strategy guides? These are all I can find:
Barbarian (Normal/SC)
Amazon (Hell/SC)
Sorceress (Normal/HC)
Sorceress (Hell/SC)

Finally @DariusTriplet posted a link to the old dii.net site in his Amazon adventures and that contains a link to the strategy compendium, which might have some hidden treasures!

Lurker Lounge had a pretty good strategy section. I'm not sure what patches the guides exactly apply for. You can access the old site via wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20080719144634/http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/section/8/123/.
Most if not all of these guides are for 1.03 or higher. Some mention the 1.03 WW nerf. I dont remember exactly when the patches came out and for how long they lasted.

There is probably more 1.00 content available here then elsewhere on the internet. :D.

One of the guides (Javazon by BrianDNA) mentioms that CB does not work on Champs, Uniques and Bosses. That is news to me. Is that true in 1.00? I thought it was reduced effectiveness.

This report from a Bowazon playthrough claims to have been written within the first 1-1.5 month of the games release. If the mentioned date is correct, July 2000, then it was published a month after D2 release.

Author was using Strafe and relied on a max Valk build with heavy investment in Pierce and Crit strike.
They used a Gothic Bow and mentions hunting for a high damage one, but since ED is broken on bows in 1.00 any Gothic Bow with Max Dmg should do.

Something to consider/tryout.

Reactions: art_vandelay
Most if not all of these guides are for 1.03 or higher. Some mention the 1.03 WW nerf. I dont remember exactly when the patches came out and for how long they lasted.
Luckily we have a very good source for that:
The only thing unclear is when 1.01 and 1.02 were released.

One of the guides (Javazon by BrianDNA) mentioms that CB does not work on Champs, Uniques and Bosses. That is news to me. Is that true in 1.00? I thought it was reduced effectiveness.
Fruit states in the "Queen of the Amazons" thread:
Well, I suppose this doesn't matter anymore since Izual is demon soup already, but for future reference, I'm pretty sure Crushing Blow only works against regular monsters and minions. The CB function checks specifically if the target/monster is flagged as "special" (or however to call it).

Otherwise, CB is fairly strong, as it halves the monster's life. You won't leech from CB though -- it directly modifies the monster's life, so it is not applied as one of the damage types. (Not that this really matters for you, as CB only works with melee as I think you already figured. They really neglected ranged attacks. :()

This report from a Bowazon playthrough claims to have been written within the first 1-1.5 month of the games release. If the mentioned date is correct, July 2000, then it was published a month after D2 release.
So since they played on bnet they were on patch 1.02 at most, I don't know though, when the bow damage was fixed.

Author was using Strafe and relied on a max Valk build with heavy investment in Pierce and Crit strike.
They used a Gothic Bow and mentions hunting for a high damage one, but since ED is broken on bows in 1.00 any Gothic Bow with Max Dmg should do.
I guess 10-50 is already a lot in a single player game... anyway it seems like a good strategy. Only problem is that I dare not open my Amazon and see her stat distribution and how many levels she will need until she can equip a gothic bow...

If I recall correctly Pierce in 1.00 is capped at 50% or something wild like that.

Also I just got to Durance of Hate lvl 2 WP with my UT sorceress and only have one death so far, namely to a random specter in NM AS. It turns out that Duriel becomes manageable with Energy Shield, some full rejuvs and a shield. I would have never thought that he can be survived like that. :D

Luckily we have a very good source for that:
The only thing unclear is when 1.01 and 1.02 were released.

I am 99.99% positive 1.01 was day 1 patch, or realistically ready pre-release but discs had to be pressed in advance and whatnot since 1.00 was impossible to play on bnet to begin with, D2 has release date of June 29 or 30th 2000 depending on region, while 1.02 probably came out early July, since going through some extracted old files it claims date modified 7.7.2000. This would make it pretty educated guess that 1.01 = day 1 patch, 1.02 = one week+ after release.

Regarding builds, having played 1.00 bowazon (1pt jab ofc for jabbing with any kind of spear on some occasions) for giggles and change of pace fairly recent at simulated players 3 (aka two mules idling in game), it basically is just maxing out strafe, herding enemies, having valkyrie and decoy to keep targets still and then unleash strafe preferably at angle you can make most of pierce. On top of that guided arrows to check targets or against individual targets, magic arrow can be useful against single high hp targets so you don't have to use two stacks of arrows. As obligatory reminder, spacing or positioning matters because if you thought strafelock in modern D2 is bad, try D2C strafelock. Also strafe is very wonky against single targets unless it's large, so essentially you are wasting loads of mana for a single arrow that does slightly more damage, hence why guided or even magic arrow is your go-to source, latter so you do not have to go pick more arrows every half a minute while slowly whittling away a boss or so. Depends really on the situation.

I believe skill allocation has been few in obligatory DAE, maxed strafe, probably ~5ish points in critical strike, then some in pierce and few in penetrate. Most of your long-term damage comes out of dexterity while the best bows functionally are ones with just +max damage and as high IAS as possible. Even say, exceptional hunter's bow (forgot the name lol) with IAS and +15 max damage might be better than gothic bow with just max damage, as whenever not using strafe the faster you recover from shots means the sooner you can run away from that extra fast MSLE that appeared out of nowhere.

I will say it has been quite fun challenge overall, and it tends to get easier as you level up due dexterity and odds of having a bow with +max damage.

Fun fact: A WW barb in 1.00 attacks twice every four frames while a dual grief WW barb in 1.14d attacks ... twice every four frames.

Even when we thought it was once per frame, it "was" only twice as fast as modern. So the only good thing about 1.00 WW is that you attack at max speed no matter the weapon, nothing else really.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High