[1.00] Baron Jerry Steinfeld the UT WW Barb, tougher than expected

art_vandelay

Guide Author
Mar 13, 2019
Only a week since my last Baron but 1.00 just has a hold on me! This time I went for Barbarian thinking that it would be easier than Paladin. I was wrong. Turns out WW actually has to hit stuff whereas hammers don't care one bit about that :rolleyes:

Normal

Jerry Steinfeld first saw the light of day last saturday and started out running Bishibosh for some goods. One of his minions then proceeded to drop me a Death's Sash which was used from then on until the point I got whirlwind. I first started using a spear after clearing the Stony Field and reaching level 6 and subsequent points went into Spear Mastery until it was maxed.
My act 1 farming was done in the Black Marsh where a boss/champion pack of goatmen spawned right next to the waypoint. I leveled to 12 on them and then finished act 1 at level 13.

In act 2 I again did some basic Stony Tomb runs and started gambling which soon resulted in the Hand of Broc which I wore until the very end. I eventually proceeded to Duriel at around level 19 and got him down without a single death by using the wall trick. The beginning of act 3 was uneventeful except for the fact that I gambled Greyform which I'm starting to view as the best untwinked armor in all of Classic. Since I chose to use a spear I was still single target at this point and thus I skipped most of the jungles with their spread out hordes of small monsters.

The next day I finished act 3 and finally got the City of the Damned waypoint at level 23. The only challenge here was the council which had to be carefully picked apart and finished separately. In act 4 I finally bought a pike which sadly also meant that any map with leapers, flesh spawners and maggots was extremely annoying. Luckily maggots work the other way around too and I got level 25,5 on a maggot RoF map. It still took forever so at that point I decided to change to Travincal and farm those guys since they always drop like they're in a 5+ player game!

That brings us to tuesday where I continued the Travincal runs and actually kept track for one level: At most 40 Travincal runs to get from 26 to 27. :eek: It becomes so frustrating that I instead go on to clear CS and finish normal. I even managed to kill de Seis' pack with just the normal attack. Sadly I died once leading up to the seals when I was busy bashing some monsters and an OK decided to cast Iron Maiden on me...

sir jerry_steinfeld.png

Nightmare

That day I continued to quest a bit through act 1 NM and get the Catacombs lvl 2 waypoint. I then leveled to 28 on some random monsters in act 1 NM. That wasn't a very good day, overall just very, very slow and frustrating.

For the next day I didn't want to grind in normal so instead I continued on through Nightmare which is pure hell for a single target barb. Andariel went down so fast it wasn't even funny, the AS was just me jumping past stuff and Duriel got cheesed once more, this time with a picture:
durielcheese.png
I then grabbed the Jade Figure in the Spider Forest for the 20 life and went back to normal to farm some more XP. Somehow this run through NM only got me to 28,5 which again was very frustrating. So I accept my fate and run more Travincal... Upon reaching level 29 I did a little gambling session and was rewarded for my patience:
rareofrares.png
That is pretty much an endgame ring and can't be improved upon realistically :D

Empowered by this find I quickly got 30 on council and then everything changed. I dumped Death's Sash for Nightsmoke and dumped Bash once and for all. I went ahead and killed Cow King three times but to no avail... so instead of wasting time there I went to NM, got my Radament skill point and then proceeded to destroy everything in act 3, including the entire council. Upon reaching the RoF I get an insane maggot spawn with tons of mothers which eventually gets me from 32 to 39 in a single game! After that I went back to normal and killed Hephasto just for fun 🥲 (Of course I steered clear of NM Hephasto :ROFLMAO:).

Finally today I took on the CS in NM and whirled even when OKs where around. It didn't result in a single death and de Seis was taken care of with leap attack and an empty belt, no crashes ensued. Can't even remember Diablo so it must have been fast (and that was earlier today...).
lord_jerry_steinfeld.png

Hell

From then on it was a breeze, I just ran through everything in Act 1 Hell up until the council in act 3. (One death in the AS due to getting stunlocked by goatmen) I had to cheese council a bit and only killed one boss and all but one minion. Then I lured the rest on the balcony and leaped into the temple to smash the orb.
Durance of Hate level 3 saw my first real NDE on this character. I was in the process of dragging Maffer around the moat to get him to stay there when I tried to jump over the moat... Maffer hit me a single time before I started jumping and I lost about 99% of my HP in that one hit o_O Luckily I landed in a cleared area and could engage Mephisto after drinking a rejuv. Funnily enough Wyand gave Mephisto might aura from acrosss the moat so I had to drag Mephisto all the way to the superchest to get rid of it. But after that he wasn't much of a threat anymore. I then whirled my way to the RoF waypoint which I reached around level 42.

The CS clear wasn't so easy this time around. Every pack had to be dealt with separately and by now WW didn't hit a lot. Whenever OKs were around I leap attacked them to mitigate IM danger and whenever Stranglers came to me I dragged them and then whirled toward them. That way I could avoid their mana burn "creeper".

I picked the Infector pack apart slowly by taunting them one by one. I did the same to Vizier after dragging the entire pack for a while. All of that was easy compared to de Seis who is probably the scariest monster in the entire game for this character.
I of course cleared my belt before engaging but I did not drag them which was a huge mistake... I leaped onto one of them while they were still clumped up and ate a full barrage of elemental damage and bone spirits... Instant death and I had to carefully pick my corpse up... After that I proceed to properly drag them around the Pentagram and that did the trick.
There was one scary moment where I had a mana potion in my belt and I did not know how it got there... I quickly drank it and no crashes happened. De Seis went down eventually and it was time for Diablo.

I basically couldn't hit Diablo with WW... that's just it. I instead leaped him to death:
diablofight.png
That did the trick! Of course he couldn't do anything to me with my insane resists and MDR from Greyform. And so...
baron_jerry_steinfeld.png

Character Stats and Items

I finished the game with these stats:
finalcharscreenbarb.png
I basically invested enough to equip a Brandistock and a Pike (because that was an improvement way back in normal) and the rest went all into life. The resists are in hell of course ;)
Also note the displayed damage... that value is obviously wrong but it only fixes itself when I re-equip the pike. Anyone else had this bug before?

My final gear:
Code:
(25-124) damage magic pike (shopped in act 4 normal)
46% lightning res; 25 life magic mask
Greyform
6% LL; 18% cold res magic amulet
Hand of Broc
Godly rare ring, see screenshot above
Nightsmoke
5% LL; 32% fire res magic ring
Fast Run/Walk; 15% poison res; 16% lightning res; 29 life rare boots
I only listed the relevant stats on the rares/magics to keep it simple.

I invested one point in Whirlwind, one in Taunt, 11 in BO, 20 into Spear Mastery, one in Increased Speed and finally 4 in Natural Resistance (35@). I have six points left unspent, just couldn't decide on anything... Should have probably invested into leap attack for the insane damage bonus per level.

That makes two untwinked Barons in two weeks, each taking about 6 days to complete. Although I have a feeling that I picked out the two easiest characters for this :oops: Any suggestions for the next one? (Not Amazon!)

Again thanks for reading and thanks to @Fruit, @treeharl and @Helvete for their contributions to the science of 1.00!

Congratulations Art. I think starting 1.00 is one of the hardest things I have done in D2, at least until level 40ish. Lack of mana / mana leech coupled with the huge mana drain from WW makes it really hard.

Reactions: art_vandelay
Congratulations Art. I think starting 1.00 is one of the hardest things I have done in D2, at least until level 40ish. Lack of mana / mana leech coupled with the huge mana drain from WW makes it really hard.
Definitely and that's on a barb... I started an UT Necro a few days ago and he's still only level 13. Just some really slow leveling all around on that guy. I wonder how people usually get to IM+Blood Golem.

you know, you CAN spend points into energy...

would do that on necro and sorc, tho both classes are inferior to barb

mainly because of the screensize, otherwise sorc at least could be viable

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High