1.00 News, Info and Gossip

Well the main reason from fire golem is the holy fire aura taunts Cows to attack your golem instead of you which expecially helps at the start of a run, though you need a hefty chunck of points in Golem mastery to stay alive. Another factor that should be mentioned is mf doesn't work with kills from iron maiden as it is reflected damage, but MF does work with kills fron CE.

Really don't gamble rattlecage.... You can gamble 15 rings with the same amount of gold and have a chance of a 60 lres ring with leach which is far far far more usefull as rattlecage. If you want to gf you could also run normal or nm and totally not need rattlecage at all.

Also if we look at rare pikes the fast way to get 155-160 max damage would be cow king normal. If you have a sorc just roll a stable pikeseed on normal and kill him about 50 times and your good to go. I don't know how bad your pike is but I do have a spare 15x with leach (unfortuniatly at 25 dura) and 143 with 125 dura (no leach).

Also if you want to get a rare Partizan you also could concider running lower kurast superchests hell but they also drop from regular hell cows (I leave that one up to you).

Couple days ago while going to kill Duriel strange bug (?) happened - after putting Horadric staff in place red portal appeared. It actually led to Canyon of the Magi despite saying Tal Rasha's chamber in its name. Can this happen only in 1.00?
View attachment 4884

Well the main reason from fire golem is the holy fire aura taunts Cows to attack your golem instead of you which expecially helps at the start of a run, though you need a hefty chunck of points in Golem mastery to stay alive. Another factor that should be mentioned is mf doesn't work with kills from iron maiden as it is reflected damage, but MF does work with kills fron CE.

Really don't gamble rattlecage.... You can gamble 15 rings with the same amount of gold and have a chance of a 60 lres ring with leach which is far far far more usefull as rattlecage. If you want to gf you could also run normal or nm and totally not need rattlecage at all.

Also if we look at rare pikes the fast way to get 155-160 max damage would be cow king normal. If you have a sorc just roll a stable pikeseed on normal and kill him about 50 times and your good to go. I don't know how bad your pike is but I do have a spare 15x with leach (unfortuniatly at 25 dura) and 143 with 125 dura (no leach).

Also if you want to get a rare Partizan you also could concider running lower kurast superchests hell but they also drop from regular hell cows (I leave that one up to you).

I definitely might have to try for a partizan from hell cows at some point soon since MFing them with a necro is way more fun than doing LK chests. I'm already working on leeching xp with a polearm barb. I don't think it really matters much in practical terms that MF doesn't work on kills from IM considering the vast majority end up dying to CE. Maybe a few percent of the cows are going to die to IM in any given run. And interesting idea with the fire golem but with how slowly the cows move, if they come after me I usually just run around and draw more in to the pack for CE and I can always recast blood golem to reposition it if needed.

Also I thought the best pike affixes were only in NM and hell so I stopped doing norm after I got a 125 dura pike. Didn't realize norm went up to 160 but I do have a sorc so I'll probably give that another try. I'd been mostly doing NM but was thinking of switching to hell for better chances of getting good rares for other slots. One problem though is with how many more patterns there are it's harder to decide when to reroll the map.

Is there something special that happens at 200 MF, like how it works in 1.07 where there are key thresholds where having less than that amount does very little? Because if not I'm thinking 100 MF on a barb might be the way to go, since I've been clearing RoF and City of the Damned for xp anyway now that I've reached 10 levels above the RoF maggots.

Speaking of maggots, I've also noticed that once you reach level 84, the maggots in act 2 give almost the same amount of xp as the ones in act 4 since they are both subject to the same level penalty and the base xp is similar. But in the maggot lair it's a lot easier to fight them in huge groups whereas in RoF sometimes tons of them spawn in a small area but other times you're running around killing one or two egg packs at a time. Also the maggots in Coldworm's room seem to respawn much more reliably when you go to town and come back whereas in RoF sometimes you leave a group of large maggots alone while you clear the rest of the map, then come back and they've only spawned one or two eggs. And if you're looking to leech xp on lower level characters, you can just skip RoF completely and powerlevel exclusively in the maggot lair since with the xp penalty bug it's actually a good thing if the character killing the maggots is getting less xp, and the leecher should get a similar amount of xp in both places as well.

Killing higher level monsters in act 4 hell that you're less than 10 levels above is of course faster xp but the maggots do have some advantages. The maggots in act 2 also seem to have the same drops as the ones in act 4 including the high drop rate for gems so it's a good way to get skulls to send to 1.06.

Couple days ago while going to kill Duriel strange bug (?) happened - after putting Horadric staff in place red portal appeared. It actually led to Canyon of the Magi despite saying Tal Rasha's chamber in its name. Can this happen only in 1.00?
View attachment 4884
were you summoning your blood golem or anything? If I had to guess for a possible source of a bug like that's where I'd start. No reason beyond 2 things coming into existence at once (an entrance opening) and a golem... maybe that tricked the game and made a portal instead.

were you summoning your blood golem or anything? If I had to guess for a possible source of a bug like that's where I'd start. No reason beyond 2 things coming into existence at once (an entrance opening) and a golem... maybe that tricked the game and made a portal instead.

To be honest - can't say for sure if I did it or not at the exact moment. By looking at the screenshots that I made it is clearly visible that blood golem was resummoned - there is red corpse right to orifice.

If this bug would be present in LOD there would be a possibility for portal to become perma-portal (as Arcane Sanctuary to Canon of The Magi is). Imagine the speed of Duriel runs when you could go to his chamber directly from WP. But this probably was silently fixed in early versions anyways.

@pharphis On 1.00 he is worthless, you can't even questbug him as questbugging doesn't work pre 1.07. His only function on 1.00 is to instagib your non es sorc with a single charge so you lose 10 mil xp at level 87 (luckely I did skill es and that saved me so many deaths due to that cause!).

On 1.13 he drops nearly the same as mephisto hell which isn't too bad. Its just a hasle to get to duriel when you can moat trick meph in half the amount of time. Still duriel gave me once a Ber when I played on bnet.

Bit wall of texty, but here's a report of on a wee sorta-restart I thought I'd share:

I had some issues with my previous barb and sorc, and kept stalling/losing motivation, so I decided to remake them. This time with polearms (as I found a battlebranch to make normal breezy), and instead of going static/orb I decided to go for a blaze sorc.

Primarily, this is for two reasons: One, an orber is all to likely to be my 1.07 sorc again, and two, blaze is significantly more mana efficient than anything the cold tree has to offer (and even static takes a little too long to get online for my spoiled-by-infinite-mana-potions-self's liking).

Stationary and some erratic/inconsistent enemies can be frustrating to deal with using blaze. Guardians/shamans in particular proved pretty frustrating. I had some success with making a big bonfire next to such monsters and then telekinesis'ing them into the fire, but the knockback on that is too inconsistent at 1pt to be relied upon long term. That said, it was still faster and more sustainable than static/cold, and it makes quick and easy work of pretty much everything else.

In the end I decided my 'stationary' killer will be meteor. I toyed with going into the cold tree, but blizzard also has issues with stationary targets, and orb wouldn't really solve my issues with trying to snipe guardians/shamans. I also considered some lightning spells, but ultimately I found meteor's sniping ability too attractive to pass up on. It also has the added bonus of sharing a mastery with blaze.

While thunderstorm wouldn't have solved the weaknesses of blaze very well at all, I was still pretty tempted as it seemed like a natural fit with the 'always moving' playstyle of blaze. And really, there's no better time to use the skill than in classic. Perhaps if I have extra points at higher levels, it's something to consider.

Going heavy into weapon mastery from the get-go made such a huge difference for this barb, particularly insofar as making leech much more effective.

I'm also finding a 2 char party much nicer to manage, with a much more enjoyable game pace than the previous 4 char party. Thus far I've only slowed to level twice, once at the tombs in act 2 to get them both to Lv20, and once at LK to Lv24. Lv23->24 was the only one that took any length of time, really, but it was mostly secondary to farming some gold/potions in prep for Meph and act 4. In particular I wanted BO and mana shield to give me a bit more error-forgiveness/safety when dealing with undead dolls.

Sadly, the gambling (~400,000 gold) didn't turn out anything all that useful, but Ormus was reasonably kind:

KQWuay7.png

Also found this while questing:

jXrEvLN.png

Though I really wish that poison resist was lightning.

I'll likely keep the tweaker sorc for later forwarding purposes, and definitely the necromancer as I did find the blood golem + mojomancy fairly entertaining. I'll probably just delete my coversion pally, enchantress, and other barb.

tldr; Blaze is really fun in classic, and barbs really do need early investment in a mastery to not be terrible.

Don't mean to ressurect, but as I am not playing Diablo anymore I felt like sharing a few very good 1.00 items (or commented if otherwise) with you guys. :)

See you!

1.00 Ancient Axe. Literally one shot everything. :D
View attachment 5114

Insane Ornate. I always considered moving this to 1.13 but never did.
View attachment 5115

"Decent" ring... :p
View attachment 5116

My boots on my barb. Gambled after 100000000 tries.
View attachment 5117

Gambled cap moved to 1.13 Blizzard sorc.
View attachment 5120

Another gambled item. Kinda ridiculous how good these gets after 100000000 tries. :D
View attachment 5121

Another set of very good gambled boots.
View attachment 5122

Yea, this sorc is pimpin..
View attachment 5123

Bugged Vidalas Rig boots with Hsarus' Iron Heel level requirement (clvl 3!) and Hsarus' color palette. They are supposed to be level 14 clvl req. Brought forward directly from 1.00 to 1.13. Many other nice combinations as well, but I like this for twinking. :)
View attachment 5118

My bugged blizz sorc shield. Love it! :)
View attachment 5119

In other words, if you want good items, you just make a gold find barb and gamble like crazy! :D

Wow, insane items!

Where did you do goldfinding in 1.00 classic?

Things like these make me want to start it so much. Just a couple of 1.13 things to do, maybe then... :p

Wow, insane items!

Where did you do goldfinding in 1.00 classic?

Things like these make me want to start it so much. Just a couple of 1.13 things to do, maybe then... :p

I think I've explained this somewhere before, but you can get LOOOOOADS of gold in 1.00.

Basically, gear up a WW barb with GF. Mine had two patriarchs, tarn helm, 119% amulet, belt and boots, 59% rings times two with leech, chance guards and Rattle cage for flee (only want to kill minions/champions) and crushing blow. You also want 30% FRW boots! This makes up for a total of 950% GF exactly.

Then, find a map with 2-3 minion / champion packs (with 4 champions) close to City of the Damned WP and 1-2 very close to River of Flame WP. In 1.00 you get very static drops or stable patterns, so look for those who drop good base items (12,5% chance of rare) and loads of gold. Also, you can be lucky with chests on the way that regularly drops harpoons or other items that sell for a ton of gold (for some reason certain items sell for a high amount of gold).

You will get 20000+ gold piles from each champion. I don't have any numbers, but I am 100% confident I can say I could easily farm 10 Stone of Jordan's in matter of an hour. Possibly even 15. It really comes down to having a good map.

All items gambled in 1.00 have fixed price, so caps are 2500 and boots are 2500. Keep the unique part of the item in stash and you have a 10% chance of rare, that's 25000 gold for a rare helm or boot!! See prefix/affix charts for optimal clvl. :)

Those Vidala/Steelclash bugged when you brought forward to 1.13? or they dropped like that?

The bugged items are normal drops, just transferred (legitimately) to 1.13 without visiting 1.07 first. If you do, they will return normal. A few unique items get weird properties, all set items does however.

If you're a bit more lacking in gear (like me) then just going with your usual weapon works well too. Missing out on some gold, yes, but killing and surviving becomes much, much easier.

Also, gambling amulets with +2 is a sloooow process, as the gamble screen doesn't have any "always present" items, like in later patches. Amulets DO have magic_lvl 2 though, so you get 2 levels for free when gambling them.

Glad to see some interest back in prelod versions, currently I am breaking a bit from d2 alltogether. I will be returning to 1.00 eventually.

This thread is great and those items above are insane. What are the bugged items about? That's not the usual mods for steelclash in 1.00? How does it form?

I've just started 1.00 and plan on bringing items forward to 1.09b classic and going through the game there with a bunch of overpowered twinked chars on / players 64.

Martels have buggy damage back here in 1.00. Is that fixed when forwarding them?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High