The most useless unique out there

Merlin The Wizzard

Aug 21, 2007
The most useless unique out there

Well, there has to be one, right?

I mean, seriously, which particular item aspires this lofty position?

I am not too keen on a Snakecord, myself.
Seriously, what's up with that thing anyways? A lenymo is much more awesome (well, ok, it's helpful against Andy I guess...)

So, that's my nominee... Which unique item fails to awe you guys?

Re: The most useless unique out there

Stoutnail
The Diggler
The Dragon Chang

@Virgait: I can see a Rattlecage being useful for a bowazon using strafe...

@ioupainmax: The Dragon chang sucks too, yeah. But the Diggler is actuall pretty sweet, methinks. It's fast, has ITD, has two useful resistances as well. Those are pretty nice mods in my book.

The Dragon Chang or Gleamscythe gets my vote.
Yeah, Stoutnail isn´t too hot either...

Rattlecage is awesome in act boss fights! Off-weapon CB, wearable by character or merc. I often bring it in for the end-of-act sessions.

Nokuzan Relic
or maybe The Centurion, but I don't see that one often enough in untwinked play to be annoyed by it.

Same answer I gave in a 2007 thread:

Steel Shade, the unique Armet.

This is an elite unique helm that you can't use until lvl 62. Even the most unlucky untwinked, single-pass, ironman, name-another-restriction...HAS to have something better then this.

Code:
Defense: 300-345 (Base Defense: 105-149)
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 109
Durability: 24
+100-130% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Replenish Life +10-18 (varies)
+4-8% Mana Stolen Per Hit (varies)
+5-11 Fire Absorb (varies)

Hey, the Diggler has ITD, good speed, and resists even- a great little needle to deliver some elemental damage via a melee strike. One might even make a King with one.

Rattlecage is actually quite a good armor in many settings but can take a patient playstyle. For some Rabies builds, HCMTF is a huge plus.

Steel Shade is pretty weak for an elite, but I do remember a CS runner making good use of it on an A3 merc for the fire absorb at some point in the SPF.

I did have a character who played with every possible unique armor, shield, and blunt 1h weapon for at least one level, which was good exposure to some not-typically used uniques. I've been meaning to repeat that for other weapon types, to use some of the less common uniques.

My votes for the least useful elites are Steel Pillar and Stormspire. I'm quite sure I've never had a character equip either one, and I don't recall seeing them used on many SPF characters, if any. And they are both TC87s to boot...

I used steel shade on a build once, I think it was a zon and I needed the mana leech. My vote is for coldkill, the exceptional axe (hatchet). Other than the low level FTC effects, this thing is worthless. Who needs cold res from a weapon?

Steel Shade is pretty weak for an elite, but I do remember a CS runner making good use of it on an A3 merc for the fire absorb at some point in the SPF.

I used steel shade on a build once, I think it was a zon and I needed the mana leech.

For Steel Shade, I'm not saying it CAN'T be used. I'm just saying that it's pretty much the last option I'd go with for what it provides (really just mana leech and fire absorb - no one cares about 18 life regen in Hell diff), at the level you can equip it.

Given the plethora of useful helms, even a basic magic mana leech ring with something like...20 lightning resist as a prefix + nearly any other unique helm would be a better option. And if you really needed mana leech from your helm slot, Tal's Mask/Stealskull/Vamp Gaze/A Rare circlet w/ other mods. are better.

As for the fire absorb, I'd argue that you'd be better off with one of the unique helms that provide a big boost to fire resistance. Kira's, Rock Stopper, heck, even a 3 Ral mask would get you 90% fire resist.

I'll toss in a vote for Venom Ward. Because every character's dream is maxed-out poison resist...

Also Treads of Cthon.

I'll toss in a vote for Venom Ward. Because every character's dream is maxed-out poison resist...

Also Treads of Cthon.

I've plenty of Venom Wards from my <1k Hell Meph runs...

Iron golem material there! :whistling:

Leadcrow xbow. I don't think I'd ever want to use that.

Bloodthief Brandistock. 11-28 damage at level 17? On a 2H? No thanks.

Corpsemourn. Jeez that armor is useless.

Also Treads of Cthon.

Awesome twinking boots. In the early going when no one has any stamina, 50% less stamina drain is a godsend. 30% faster run/walk is also about as good as you can get at lvl 15.

Bloodthief Brandistock. 11-28 damage at level 17? On a 2H? No thanks.

Useful first weapon for an A2 merc for the built-in life leech. I have an ethereal version that I always give my mercs as soon as I hire them.

My votes for the least useful elites are Steel Pillar and Stormspire. I'm quite sure I've never had a character equip either one, and I don't recall seeing them used on many SPF characters, if any. And they are both TC87s to boot...

One of my goals in SP D2 was to use every TC87 at least once on at least one character. I ended up using Stormspire on my Flaming Mauler Werebear (it gives you decent numbers!) and I've planned Steel Pillar for my Fendazon or Impaler. I shall see. I agree with you on both counts though.

Threads of Cthon: I used this on a HC character. >_>
Corpsemourn: I also managed to use this on a HC character. >_>

treads is awesome. I don't have a sorc in hell yet, so I use it with LK runs in combo with harmony bow, it's so fast that runs are really safe.

templar's might gets my vote: the strength requirement is just too huge. no resists/1-2 to pally offensive auras. gets beaten by almost every exceptional armor.

I think its not so much useless uniques but rather useless mods on some uniques, looking at which you can only scratch your head wondering what the dev was smoking when making this item

example

Warpspear
Gothic Staff
Two-Hand Damage: 14 to 34
Durability: 37 of 40
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 39
Staff Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0xb2d0edc7
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+3 to Teleport (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Telekinesis (Sorceress Only)
Ignore Target Defense
150% Damage to Undead

Now the mods on this staff are pretty good. Except.. Ignore target defense?? Are we going melee with this low damaging weapon on a sorc? Hello?

Another

Earthshaker
Battle Hammer
One-Hand Damage: 98 to 162
Durability: 27 of 105
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 43
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 72
Fingerprint: 0xb62b8d38
+180% Enhanced Damage
+50 Maximum Durability
Knockback
30% Increased Attack Speed
Hit Blinds Target +1
150% Damage to Undead
+3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
5% Chance to cast Level 7 Fissure on striking

Looking at this one might think that this is a good 1H druid weapon. Except.. it gives + to elemental skills which are not useable in shapeshifted form. So unless you are making some kind of weird elemental shapeshift hybrid, you will only get half benefit from this item

I can think of plenty good (er, um, . . bad) 1.07 uniques, but if we're talking 1.10+ then I'd have to say Alma Negra.

No resistances (on a Paladin shield crying out loud)! Add a clvl 77 requirement and no redeeming mods and I can't see any reason I'd ever want to use this shield :no: .

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High