The most useless unique out there

Re: The most useless unique out there

I agree with thread starter. Snakecord seems to me the most profoundly useless. I would rather have a completely plain belt with 12 boxes.

Ofc, the MOST useless uniques, seeing that we are in a SPF, are torch and anni. Both are infinitely useless, torch even takes 100% more space in your inventory. ( :) )

But otherwise, well, snakecord is damn near the most useless. Id most certainly use it against andy untwinked though, with no better choice, or when I have not enough str for 3 row belt.

I was thinking serpent lord, but I can imagine equipping it on some obscure chargerish pally against andy maybe? In some wierd masochism seizure moment?

So IMHO, the most useless is [highlight]Pluckeye[/highlight]. Its useless on its own, and at lvl 7, you can BUY better bow that this. I have ALWAYS been able to find better bow even for a merc before lvl 7, and if not, find enough chippies to provide me and rouge with at least 2/3 chippies bows.

Look at this:

2 - 8 Damage - What? At lvl 7? WHAT??
15 Dex Required
Item Level: 10
Clvl Req: 7

+28 to Attack Rating (useless for a ranged at this lvl)
+100% Enhanced Damage (yes, so its 2-8 - WHAAAT?)
+10 to Life (useless for a ranged at this level)
+2 to Light Radius (maybe the least useless mod here)
3% Mana stolen per hit (this is not working with such a damage AT ALL)
+2 Mana after each kill (optimum would be about 5 Tirs at this lvl - you have no damage to feed mana mods and you have to chug blues. Embrace it. Its simply a superior strategy.)

The conclusion - I would take even blue (lit/fire damage) hunters bow over this simply for the damage advantage. It can be bought easily at lvl 7.

btw: ToC are the boots of choice for lots of my alld chars. On boots, speed owns pretty much everything in lvl 18 hobo dueling (even if you have tele/charge/BoS)

I can't believe no-one's mentioned Grim's Burning Dead yet.

On the plus side: a necro with a scythe is kind of appropriate
On the minus side: everything else. It stops you using a shield, and is full of pointless mods.

It's Rubbish.

I twink ToC for all my new chars.
Anyways I think skiffcz just won the thread. Heh. I didn't even think of that bow. A plain bow with 2 or 3 sockets with random chippes will do way more damage than that.

edit: somebody made a necro with a polearm before. Using bone wall/prison(?) plus minions, then poking mobs over the obstacle (making use of the range of a polearm). I can't remember if it was a Grim's burning dead, nor can I remember who it was exactly. It was an entertaining build at the very least.

Its the hydras that are causing you merc to die. Steel shade might work guardian angel + Kira's guardian works wonders if you have the items.

On topic: My vote goes for Tyrael's might. It's just plain useless. It's rarity is just icing on the cake.

I use Tyreals on my merc for my Baal runner (Fireball/Orb Sorc with nature's peace) to prevent resurrections which can be a problem with wave 2 especially if there are undead that spawn in the throne room to start with. Tyreals is like a slightly better version of Duriel's (Although I admit it is pretty bad for its rarity and level etc.) as it gives cannot be frozen, resists, damage to demons, frw and like I mentioned above, the bit that helps me the most: Slain monsters rest in peace.

Also Darkglow+Iratha's Set+Steelclash = easily gets to about 90 resist all and some other decent mods aby level 17 in normal.

I also use a darkglow+duskdeep on a merc.

OT: 500th post woot!

I vote for stormchaser scutum.
Defense: 161-198 (varies)(Base Defense: 53-61)
Required Level: 35
Required Strength: 71
Chance to Block: Pal: 64%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 59%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 54%
Durability: 62
Paladin Smite Damage: 11 To 15
+160-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
4% Chance To Cast Level 5 Tornado When Struck
4% Chance To Cast Level 6 Blizzard When Struck
10% Faster Block Rate
+150 To Attack Rating
Lightning Resist +50%
Half Freeze Duration
Adds 1-60 Lightning Damage
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)
Completely useless imho.

@fuzzy: that was a weird choice. I can´t see a single useless mod on that thing. :scratchchin:
STR requirement isn´t bad either.

I mean, in a Set/Unique Worshippers tourney, it would own most of the normal shields, and some exceptionals. I´ve used it for a large part of Nightmare in such a tourney, and I liked it quite a bit.

Compare Stormchaser to Rhyme and I'd say it's struggling (and you will most likely have found the components for Rhyme before you find Stormchaser).

I'm just dropping in to say hi and post in this lovely thread.

For those who know me.. I'm still alive and kicking!

Its a bit silly that all three "top" armors are pretty useless. The Ts have been discussed, but I don't think anyone mentioned:

Code:
Steel Carapce
Defense: 1618-1785 (varies)(Base Defense: 446-557)
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 230
Durability: 70
+190-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
Regenerate Mana 10-15% (varies)
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
Cold Resist +40-60% (varies)
Damage Reduced by 9-14 (varies)
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds
8% Chance To Cast Level 6 Iron Maiden When Struck

What do I do with that? Get it in eth and put it on a merc? I'll get 36 more useful armor options for him by then, besides you probably don't want that IM going off.

Regenerate mana, huh? CR? Meh. FHR and DR are ok, but.. at the cost of 230 strength? Right.

And another..

Code:
Medusas' Gaze
Defense: 405-453 (varies)(Base Defense: 145-161)
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 219
Chance to Block: Pal: 54%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 49%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 44%
Durability: 92
Paladin Smite Damage: 18 To 28
+150-180% Enhanced Defense (varies)
5-9% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
Slows Target By 20%
Cold Resist +40-80% (varies)
10% Chance To Cast Level 7 Lower Resist When Struck
100% Chance To Cast Level 44 Nova When You Die

Ye, ok. What do I do with you? 219 strength req, mhm. Again, CR! Life steal and slows target, so its a melee shield? LR and nova? Do you want me to use this on a sorc? Some elemental attacker, but with enough physical damage to use the leech.. Ah, but of course! An elemental titan sorc, no problem, at least she'll block like insane! Oh, wait.

IG it for a curse I can cast with 100% chance any time I want or make a temporary IG for a sorc? (Best use I could come up with :D)

P. S. On top of all their uselessness these are both heavy armor types so in addition to doing almost nothing for the user they will even slow him/her down. 5 stars!

Last edited:

I think skiffcz is onto something. Pluckeye is pretty easily beaten, and I normally go with a bow with emeralds for faster damage in tournaments. Hmmm...

@nulio: Please post a discussion thread for your tourney idea. It sounds great, but there will be a big problem with getting those entry items. They can't be SC, as that would make this a SC tourney, whereas many only play HC in tourneys. Then some others only play Vanilla, which means my items would not be suitable.
I'm willing to donate some for it, but it'll need to go through a new thread and see what we can work out. If you need any help, send me a PM.

Cheers,
~Dryst

@nulio: there was a great tourney from Skunkbelly, the 99 items tourney which involved working with a limited pool of 99 items, from a while ago.

@Albatross: Medusa's Gaze is actually an interesting one- I've had several projects trying to make good use of it, a Fireclaws bear and a Tesladin, and my conclusion is that it doesn't work very well. The idea was that it would kind of be a Vanilla Infinity, speeding up kills and breaking immunities from time to time. A wand on switch with Lower Resist charges is a much better solution for that, though. I actually have another Medusa's Gaze project underway, a slow-a-din, but that project has stalled.

Steel Carapace is pretty weak, but anything with self-repair is slightly interesting as then there is the possibility of an ethereal self-repair item, which at least has some novelty and gives a reason to pick them up at least to check them out.

I would't put Stormchaser in the same category as the truly useless ones- it's actually not bad at all... Darkglow does have +max resist all, not a common feature, so it's also not nearly as useless as other suggestions, to my mind. In Classic, it combines well with Irathra's as mentioned.

Grim's Burning Dead is at least kind of interesting. I think there has been a thread or two from some meleemancers who used it for a themed build factor, and I've probably used it as a merc weapon playing untwinked at some point.

Many of the normal bows and crossbows are pretty weak and easily beaten by a gemmed bow. Pluckeye is pretty bad, and it's not easy to find as a TC3 as well... Blastbark and Doomslinger are pretty terrible, but at least they have +1 zon skills which could be useful for having on switch for summoning a Valk...

I can't decide between Atma's Wail and Radament's Sphere. What say you?

Many of the normal bows and crossbows are pretty weak and easily beaten by a gemmed bow. Pluckeye is pretty bad, and it's not easy to find as a TC3 as well... Blastbark and Doomslinger are pretty terrible, but at least they have +1 zon skills which could be useful for having on switch for summoning a Valk...

Doomslinger has pierce as well as IAS

Pus Spitter. It's as if the devs got confused and thought Poison Dagger would work with it.

I can't imagine any Amazon using it, and the attack speed is horrendous for any character.

I suppose it does do +2necro, so I guess it could be used as a prebuff for bone armor? That's the only use I can find for it.

I used Medusa's Gaze on my Aldur's Rabies/Fire Claw Werewolf. It's cool because a. it helps out Fire Claw/Rabies damage alike as long as the crowd is big enough to proc it, and b. it's also orange!

I used an ethereal Steel Carapace on my Conc Barb to hit 66.6k defence.

I used a Stormchaser on my CtC Kodiak for the 4% chance to cast Tornado when struck or whatever.

I've never used Pluckeye, Pus Spitter, Doom Slinger, Atma's Wail, Radament's Sphere, or The Grim's Burning Dead though. I can't think of anythign too practical for those. :p

there are quite a few builds that make use of medusa's gaze. A quick google shows these two at least.

@zaphodbrx:Earthshaker is far from to be useless...Only annoying thing on it is knockback, but my untwincked single pass HC HF/Fana Paly was very pleased to use it, its probably his final weapon...Hit blinds target its very underrated ability i guess, and its true life saver for many HC characters, thats my opinion...

My vote goes also for Pluckeye...Most useless unique IMHO

I put stormchaser because rhyme and splendor RW are available for that lvl. It may not be completely useless, I just don't like it personally.

I don't think it's a question of not being a good choice relative to better options (like the runeword Rhyme, which is a great choice for many settings*and beats many many uniques for many builds) Instead, it's more of a question of- is there really a likely situation where you would use the item? Even if you were untwinked? Or in a tourney where you could only use unique items? A specialty build, at least? If the answer to all those questions is no, then it's pretty useless...

Pluckeye, as useless as it is, at least isn't dropping very often...

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High