The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, The Saviours of Sanctuary Rise Anew

Sorry for the confusion! That was meant to be:

I´m not going to baal a Trapsin to 99!

Could see myself baaling a Hybrid to 99 or at least 98! Any thoughts on Hybrids before it´s to late to restart?

Trapper for Nihl is more than viable, and I think a k/t build could also work for Nihl, although vipers would be nasty in HC. Maybe k/t for Baal would also work with CB heavy option to take down Baal, although it’s still ~3000 runs for 98. Also, I think k/t for Diablo for p1/p7 at 98-99 is interesting option for HC.

Reactions: Tears85
Thx for info! Yeah I can see myelf doing a Trapper for Nila, but pure Trapper vs Baal till 99 is no go! When I decided to go Sin the build I had in mind was k/t or Rift CS yes! Would u have any suggestions on the build. When playin the barb I figured I have some ideas that could work with the Assassin that´s not the case!

Id go pure trapper, tried riftsin and it was a lot worse then pure trapper. (twinked both)
i liked carrying a blackbogs sharp in my cube and put it in cta slot for baal, hit him once with 1 point in dtalon to get that 50% slow so he doest teleport arround.
other then that, run lk until enigma and infinity and hope for some skillers as well^^
if it gets superboring maybe try some cows every now and then.

Reactions: Tears85
@Tears85 Yeah, sorceress and paladin seem to be the only classes that are better off in CS than at Baal, at least untwinked.

Honestly I'd just go for class that you can see yourself playing a lot in the near future. I say "class" and not build, because at some point one has to bite a bullet and just use the approach that will get you to 99, instead of the approach that will not get you to 99... It is already a huge time investment, most chars take 250-350 hours to finish, and that's with people trying to get it done quickly – farming those essential runewords, using the strongest cookie-cutter builds, and running the targets that provide the best XP over time. Otherwise it can easily add hundreds of hours of playing.

Some grind is always involved in getting to 99, for every class, every target, every build – nothing stays "fun" 100% of the time if you have to do it thousands of times. But it's worth it in the end. :)

I have to agree and disagree. I have a lvl 99 Vanilla LoD HC Char in B.Net and it was one of the biggest disappointments in my live! I invested all those hours not enjoying the game, just wanting to play Classic, feeling it would be such a flash to achieve it, just not to feel anything reaching it! I wanted to do it without duped runes, and it was the char I played on Reset...a conv zealer (was before respec was implemented)....I don´t wanna play D2 that way anymore! If I have to do stuff I don´t like for days to reach 99 I will not reach 99!

Yet I see you´re point....thing is most fun would be to play Sorc anyway, but I guess I´ll never hit 99 on a Untwinked Sorc! :( But mb I should try it anyway......mb I can play 5 Sorcs until I´ll mb hit 99 on Sin! ~~

€: So I don´t know what to do.... mb this UT Stuff is not for me! :( Thing is there is no real good choice besides pala........and I don´t know if I wanna play leftclick pal! :(

Last edited:
There is no way anybody will get to 99 with "just playing" a random build. You have to go for more or less the most efficient build and the best spots for exp. Unless you are some fanatic and you want to spend like 1k hours on a single char. Untwinked 99 project isn't something you do because you are bored and you need something to warm up your heart. You have to put some serious effort into it.

Well i´ts not like my barb wasn´t on a good way! :( I was lvl95 and had alot of stuff and was doing baalrunz! It´s not like I ripped cause I had Forty instead of Eni or ripped while doin some CS Runz...I was playin average! But yeah, u guys almost convinced me to give up on UT! :(

@Tears85 The things i said weren't aimed to you specifically. It was more like a general statement. You had some good gear, but you were very lucky to get all of those items. What you usually do when going untwinked is to minimize randomness as much as you can to make your progress as much predictable as possible. That's why pretty much everybody farms LK to get some hrs. It's the best, the most reliable source of them. You can have a really hard time finding any rare item when farming some areas like pits, CS, WSK etc. When i was lvling my barb, i got a single jah rune drop during 2k baalruns. That's 130 hours for a single hr with a geared char and good playstyle. I don't even want to know how many hrs you would have after that many hours in LK.

I didn´t get your last sentence! I allrdy stated that I didn´t know the chances of runes dropping! MB I would have done some different if I would have known exact chances!

MB I was lucky........to get to lvl 95 in HC still an achievment I´m proud of!

Stay save guys! :)

€: Got that sentence now! That´s the issue........ I don´t care how many hrs 130 hours of LK would be, as I wouldn´t do 130 hours of LK......and for me the goal of D2 is not maximizing HRs/hour but reaching my own goals!

Last edited:
I think the important thing you have to keep in mind when going for a ut 99 char is: having a plan, being efficiant and grinding hard to achiv the goal to get to lvl 99 has to be fun for you. ofc it can feel like work sometimes but when it feels like work all the time it the wrong approach to play the game

Reactions: PhineasB
From the SPF 99er Compendium:
4.6. Remember, It's About Fun
A final word on what may be the most important topic: Fun. The journey to 99 is enough of a commitment (time and number of runs), that you are likely to burn out if the character isn't fun, etc. Numerous members have emphasized this point in one way or another over the years. Rather than attempting to restate the point, I'll just quote from a post by @T72on1 that I think nails it on this topic:

Which brings us to another point: fun !!! Everyone will be very motivated when they start this journey. But when the real grind kicks in, you have to stay motivated as well. After all it's still a game, and one you play to have fun. It would be a shame if someone burns out on D2 on the whole because the grind drives him or her insane. So despite the fact that we all have been talking about and giving tips about efficiency here, don't neglect the fact that you should still be having fun. It's not as refreshing as starting a new character, it's not as exciting as participating in that MFO or RFO and get awesome drops quite often, it's not as cool as trying out that new runeword on a concept character ... it will always be a grind up to a certain degree. But try to find things that keep it fun for you. Alternate targets for a while if you feel like it. Switch CS with Baal if that's what keeps you going. Get back to AT for a while. Hit Travincal in search for runes, jewelry and gold like I did, even if your 99er runner doesn't need it, because you never know what you get (a Cham in my case) and the drops might allow you to start brainstorming on other D2 projects or characters.
This remains, for me, the most important point as my sixth entrant in this challenge is about to tackle the final level. For example, I've been quite happy to take less XP-efficient (and thus overall less time-efficient) approach at times with my characters, including having the last three begin as tourney characters (or effectively so with the Barb). But given the 200-300 hour investment for most character classes even under a time-efficient strategy, I can't imagine an approach that adds another 100 or 200 hours (even though I've been willing to add ~10-20 hours).

That same perspective is likely behind feedback provided by almost everyone in response to questions in this thread about options or approach. But I don't think it's meant to suggest that's the only way to play or the only goal that matters. It's just the underlying goal of this challenge is to reach lvl 99, which is much more likely to occur when taking a time-efficient approach. Either way, what's great about the SPF is that it's a place to share goals and progress with others who still also enjoy this old, old game. Whether in this thread, the general quest for 99 thread, or another, I look forward to hearing about the next project and progress :)

Reactions: Pb_pal and Tears85
Since there´s a discussion going on I´ll add another post. Most of u guys are skilled players playin Softcore. IT APPEARS THAT´S a part of your issue. For the guys playin SC I feel like the challange is to hit 99 as fast as possible, as most people could reach 99 in SC in 500 hours, but not in 200 [Sorc that is]! For HC this is different, as most people (appeereantly including me) would RIP before hitting 99!

Concerning the 130 hours issue.....I´m sure I was 130 hours in! One might say it´s no achievment to be lvl 95 after 130+ hours. I´d say it´s hardcore, and therefor most people would not have lived till 95!

Would I have reached lvl 95 if I would have done LK Runs? Most likely not, as I wouldn´t have done so many LK Runs, and I would have just given up. ResTTe putting it as this challange was for elite Diablo II players. FOR ME PERSONALLY every achievment in Diablo II is better if hit in HC. So I´d prefer a 1000 hours approach lvl 99 HC UT over a 200 hours SC hit! Not saying I could do 200 hours SC or ResTTe couldn´t do 1000 HC, but mb he´s just looking at the challange from his perspective! I´m a fulltime D2 player, an I decided to take this challange the only way I was willing to do it. (I allready mentioned that my situation is ddifferent!)

Somehow I feel like u guys wanna stay with each other, and that´s fine..... I´d went for another shot, but really the amount of people telling me not to do it convinced me to give up on it! And I don´t feel like grinding up again, just to be told: DO LK! Respect to all people who "bored" themselves through LK and Baals!

€ And mb this challange is truely not for me, as I´m not willing to bore myself through the game! So again respect to every1 who did it!

Last edited:
It's all about fun and goals until you realize you have to spend 500 hours on something that can be achieved in 200. Yeah, it's cool to do something extraordinary like UT99 HC fire druid (XD), but most of the people won't go for something like this, cause it's way too much for them. Most people won't even go for one 99er, regardless if it's untwinked or not. I've seen quite a lot of people claiming they will do this and that and it will be awesome and they know what they are doing and in the end they quit, cause they got bored or they died or something different happened.

When i decided to make my first UT99er (which was 1,5 years ago) i had about 2,5 years of experience with the game and i did quite a lot of research on top of that to see what are my options, if i can do something different, how can i improve already existing strategies. All of that cause i really wanted to achieve my goal. For me it's just better to focus on one project and get it done as fast as i can and feel to. If i do so, i can start the next project which will be more interesting and fun than being stuck with one thing for a long time just because i want to do "something cool".

To me this forum is an elite place. I've been in many d2 communities and i've seen many players and they all lack that knowledge and many years of experience that people here have. That's one of the reasons why i joined and why i like this place so much. You won't find any place similar to this one with all those calculations, data, strategies and other stuff.

@Tears85 I don't say something is good or bad, although something inside me does not understand many things people do. I just try to give people advice and hints that maybe the things they do, aren't the best option and can get them in trouble later on. I've seen many people giving you advice in this thread. You accepted some of them and did some things on your own. You failed in the end, but does that matter? I don't think so. Especially since you feel like it wasn't because of taking your own route. If so, just make a new char and play, cause as many people say "it's all about the journey" and "you never stop learning knew things and improving yourself".

It's all about fun and goals until you realize you have to spend 500 hours on something that can be achieved in 200. Yeah, it's cool to do something extraordinary like UT99 HC fire druid (XD), but most of the people won't go for something like this, cause it's way too much for them. Most people won't even go for one 99er, regardless if it's untwinked or not. I've seen quite a lot of people claiming they will do this and that and it will be awesome and they know what they are doing and in the end they quit, cause they got bored or they died or something different happened.
I got clapped playin WW in Throne.....how would that be due to my own approach being Zerker/Frenzy in CS?
You failed in the end, but does that matter?
I failed from your perspectiv.......from my perspectiv I hit lvl 95 on a untwinked HC Char. It´s u believing everyone has your goals! 95 is by far the highest RIP I ever had....... but still, who cares. I MYSELF prefer dieing in HC on lvl95 than reaching lvl99 in SC! I know your the opposite, and most likely the better player! But u make it sound like your goals are the universal D2 goals!
"something cool"
It´s not about being cool but about getting the volume in. Most likely your right and I would have failed 99 anyway. But I still prefer CS over Baals. That´s the reason I turned to classic long ago, until I figured u can CS in LoD!

I got clapped playin WW in Throne.....how would that be due to my own approach being Zerker/Frenzy in CS?

I failed from your perspectiv.......from my perspectiv I hit lvl 95 on a untwinked HC Char. It´s u believing everyone has your goals! 95 is by far the highest RIP I ever had....... but still, who cares. I MYSELF prefer dieing in HC on lvl95 than reaching lvl99 in SC! I know your the opposite, and most likely the better player! But u make it sound like your goals are the universal D2 goals!

It´s not about being cool but about getting the volume in. Most likely your right and I would have failed 99 anyway. But I still prefer CS over Baals. That´s the reason I turned to classic long ago, until I figured u can CS in LoD!

but this is a 99er challange thread.
the goal is to get to 99....

Well yeah, and most likely not my thread. Yet I don´t feel like I failed, as FOR ME ONLY HC counts. I got the point that u guys are different, and it´s your thread, and I won´t disturb anymore! :)

@Tears85 you’re taking everything the wrong way man. I don’t think he was trying to insinuate you’re a failure. It’s the opposite of that if anything. There are a lot of people who play HC here also, it’s not some universal SC community. I think most people, for this quest specifically, would just rather not invest hundreds of hours to achieve the goal of 99 specifically only to have one miss-step or unlucky dice roll compromise all of it.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High