Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Good idea, sveinbjorn. With these restrictions, I wouldn't recommend Druid to anyone.

Meanwhile, my Druid is still surviving, probably to annoy me. He just cleared the Arcane Sanctuary and is headed out into the Canyon of the Magi to clear all 7 tombs at /p3...that should do him in. :) Since he found a pretty good rare battle bow for Amplisa, he used Charsi's imbue for his chain mail, giving if 111 defense and not much else. He also found a rare 2-hander, but isn't using it because his gemmed one is better.

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Kur. Bazaar  28     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Far Oasis    20     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Dark Wood    12     2-H/3os
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Cold Plains  7      2-H/ch skull
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian  Cold Plains  8      2-H/normal sword
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Cold Plains  6      2-H normal
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin   Rogue Camp   1      Starting Katar

Fallen heros

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   Catacomb4 NM 46     Rare Giant Sword
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Edit: Well, that didn't take long. Howell died in the 2nd tomb, surrounded by apparitions and an unraveller to keep them coming.

I immediately started Groo the barbarian. He started with fists, but since quill rats are hard on the knuckles, he bought a short sword from Charsi first trip back to camp. Of course in his hand a short sword looks like a toothpick, so at 6th level (which he reached while clearing the Den of Evil) he bought his first 2-H sword.

Last edited:

Got in a bit more play time tonight, and Thrain is now the proud owner of a Horadric Staff. Found the Palace Cellar WP before calling it a night. Upgrade my sword to a better gemmed one and found some rare boots with 10% mf on them

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Kur. Bazaar  28     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Cold Plains  6      2-H normal

Fallen heros

JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

edited cause I didn't delete all the quote of the post I stole the table from lol :D

Groo is moving right along, with his new friend Fiona. Mostly dumping points in Sword Mastery plus prereqs for more interesting things. No useable rares yet, but he socketed a 3-socket 2-H sword with chips. After a sorceress and a druid, Groo makes everything seem easy. He just arrived in the Dark Wood, found the scroll, and is looking for the WP.

Code:
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Dark Wood    13     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby

Fallen heros

DEEDS.

Stormblade was doing OK in the Chaos Sanctuary, but tried to play it safe and got burned against the Infector of Souls. After hitting the seal, I waited as a few of the minions came around the corner, and let Haphet blast away. He killed 4-5 on his own. Then the infector himself came around the corner, with three or four buddies, and I was surrounded and dead before I had any time to react.

Good thing I've been messing with other character ideas. And wow, suddenly the standings are filled with barbs and assassins almost completely.

And still no one has found a sword!

Code:
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Dark Wood    13     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby

Fallen heros

Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy

Not much progress, but a quick update. Nothing interesting, no NDEs.

Code:
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Dark Wood    15     2-H/ch topaz/ch skull

Fallen heros

Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy

Yeah, I made another update. Norris has saved Cain without too much an issue. A few hairy moments but not to big of a deal. The gem drops have become kind of depressing for this tournament. lol Chipped Topazes has been dropping left and right.I will probably waste Charsi's Imbue on a two-hander when the time comes hoping for a half-way decent roll on it for this early stage in the game. Not expecting much though.

Last edited:

Hey im new to these forums and tournaments but if this one is still going on, Count me in! :D

My character will be a barbarian
name: tourny-one

Edit: Also can someone tell me how to do that "player 8" glitch, it doesnt seem to work for me..Thanks

Last edited:

@Justin: Sure, it's still open, dive right in!

The player-8 (or any number 1-8) is set by pressing enter, typing in /players 8, and pressing enter again.

Ok so far ive been doing pretty well, just saved cain and am lvl 8 atm with a two-handed sword, and cool ty now i can lvl faster! i hope this build will work with a 2 handed sword and that i find my sword later and not now :D

update: Sword now being used is a superior two handed sword gemmed with a chipped skull

Last edited:

K, I'm back in with a sorceress, Desdemona. She did pretty well up until the monastery, then ran into a few issues as her attack speed with a 2-hander is SO SLOW.

Still, once she hit level 18 and Enchant, she started to deal some better damage. Her rogue merc, however, did more damage, as she has a rare hunter's bow and started picking off foes left and right. I thought the merc could pretty much take Andy with me as a distraction, but she couldn't survive the poison spread.

So, after a couple of TPs and some pots, Desdemona tanked Andy at players 1.

Andy dropped a rare amulet with 9 cold, 11 fire, and 20 poison resist, which is the only rare she's wearing. (Rare gloves and cap she found were discarded due to low defense and bad mods). One big problem entering Act II: no lightning resist whatsoever. Can't wait to run into a pack of beetles!

However, she has politely dismissed her trusty rogue archer in favor of a desert guard and his Defiance aura. Desdemona plans to buy the fellow a quick brandistock and enchant that sucker up early and often.

Code:
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2xch topaz/ch skull
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Dark Wood    15     2-H/ch topaz/ch skull

Fallen heroes

another update:

Still using same sword :/ but im now lvl 16 and am about to face andy with the help of my lvl 13 ice arrow merc, wish me luck! :D btw so far ive been playing on player 5 and player 8, depending on the moment and only have had few troubles with groups of archers

Edit: Andy is slain! :D took 1 try 1 juv and no tps, merc died, but it was an easy kill since i had 50% psn resistance, im now lvl 18 with a rare claymore in act 2... no problems yet :D

Last edited:

I see you haven't put yourself in the table yet, Justin. Do you know how to do that? Here you are:

Code:
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2xch topaz/ch skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     Rare Claymore
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  O. Cloister  16     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby

Fallen heroes

Fiona is decked out all in yellow, and Groo just found a so-so rare amulet.

I won't keep away from this tourney any longer. Also you need some variaty =).

Vega the necromancer has started his journey to seek his sword of destiny.

Code:
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  O. Cloister  16     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby
NacRuno      Vega            Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Starting Wand

Fallen heroes

I'd love to participate in this tournament. I'll have to wait at least 8 days until I return home (home to australia, from London). I think I'll play a holy freeze paladin, mainly because there is an overwhelming number of barbarians in the lineup, and for something to be sacred and prophecised its going to be a paladin :p

I love the epic feel of this tournament! I purposefully chose someone who has to fight tooth and nail to get what she wants... a sorceress who thinks she's a barbarian. Constantly hitting things with her fists, her parents aptly named her Baam Baam. But when she came across her first Superior 2-handed sword, she fell in love and had to purchase it!

Now to see if I can figure out the codes:

Code:
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorcerous  Stony Field  11     2-H/superior sword

Fallen heroes

heh Thanks for putting me on the table, i had no clue how to do that.. But now i start my journey in act 2, i hope my low lightning resistances dont end my journey :D

Wow talk about my luck..when i killed radament he dropped sigon shield...too bad for me

Last edited:

I lied. It seems I still have unfinished business with this tournament so I’m back with Hinamori v2.0.

Act 1 was pretty easy and was done at players 7 (except Andariel who was killed at players 1 . . . because I really had no interest in a long and perhaps dangerous battle). The tactics were simple. Hinamori went bare fisted until she could purchase a one handed sword (those quill rats really are tough on the hands), and put all her stat points into strength and dexterity so that a two handed sword could be purchased and equipped as soon as possible (level 7). From Blood Raven to the Countess Hinamori was using a triple chipped gemmed two handed sword and was relying on brute strength to get things done. After the Countess (who was rerun five times . . . mostly because I could) Hinamori was using the doomsday weapon (a two handed sword of Tal/Tal/Tal <--- I was feeling lucky, and for once that feeling didn’t betray me). The remainder of Act 1 was really fast as none of the monsters could stand up to that much poison damage. (On a bit of a side note, I had really forgotten how under whelming enchant could be . . . this could be ugly going forward).

There was one outstanding but sadly unusable drop at Griswold. Andariel didn’t drop anything nearly as interesting.

Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 1.

Code:
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/Tal/Tal/Tal

Fallen heroes

I lied. It seems I still have unfinished business with this tournament so I’m back

Hey wtf. You can't do that! :whistling:J/k. Nice to see you give it another try. And also nice to see more people in the table. Though i'm feeling a little out of place being the only amazon.

Can't believe i was still in the lead with almost a week no updates (not counting the ones with deeds). Let's see what i've been up to lately.

First finished actIII. Only one scary moment there. Meph threw one of his iceballs at me and i was to slow to dodge it. Took a big chunk of life. Luckily i had near full health to start with or it would have been the end of me.

ActIV. Still swinging my lousy chipped 2 hander all the way until the last wp. Between there and the CS i found a rare giant sword. Hardly any better, but an improvement nonetheless. Clearing the CS was easy. Until i opened the last seal that is. Diablo proved to be trouble even though i set the playersetting all the way down. Merc got killed a couple of times. Didn't even land a hit. So i left him for dead after 2 ressurections. Just me, my valk and Diablo now. Multiple NDE's occured and more resummoning valks then i could count. Scariest moment was when diablo boneprisoned my and straight after that put his lightninghose on me. I can tell you that that is NOT funny with only 7 lightning resist. Good thing i was quick with a full juvie and had my tp hotkeyed to get to town (and out of the prison) alive. But all good things come to an end and so did Diablo.

Now i'm resting at the ancients way wp in actV. No trouble so far and i think it'll remain that way until Baal himself.

So far played p8 except for actbosses. Only decent items i have are gloves and a belt with both decent fire resist. My other gear is just worthless. Oh no wait, i got a couple of decent sc's too. Maxed out penetrate so my chance to hit is still pretty decent. Next up is maxing valk.

Didn't play yesterday because i was really tired and didn't want to lose my char because of that, so i may proceed later today. Or else certainly tomorrow.

Looking forward i'm a bit torn on what to do. I'm debating myself between running Baal a bit to get better gear, but also increase my chance of getting a lousy sword of destiny. Or proceed into NM, but at a risk of deeds because of crappy resists (i don't think that except for fire any of the resists will be above 0). But i'm not out of normal yet so i have some time to think about it (or hopefully find something useful).

Oh yeah and before i forget. Can you believe how bad my sword is. I'm in freakin' actV and i'm fighting with this:
Grim Gutter
Giant Sword
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 16
Two-Hand Damage: 9 to 28
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Dexterity: 34
Required Strength: 56
Required Level: 12
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0xf75d86c0
Adds 1-7 lightning damage
+7 poison damage over 3 seconds
+2 to Mana After Each Kill

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Ancients way 40     Rare giant sword        

Fallen heroes

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   N Catacomb4  46     Rare Giant Sword

Im now lvl 25 in canyon/magi, im loving the defiance arua on my desert guard! He has saved me so many times, ive had around 5 NDEs mostly from death beetles, and scarabs, but so far im doing pretty good, all my gear is crappy other then my rare fanged helm with 2 to sword mastery, im now using a gemmed claymore ( flawed emerald, chipped saphire, chipped topaz)

Edit: Durial (sp?) has been slain! :D Im still lvl 25 but im now in act 3, durial didnt really drop much, just a beserker helm (usless becuz of tournament :( ) and a rare jewel plus some rare boots, but so far so good, killed him on player 5, im taking a little brake before i go any further

Last edited:

In the Monastery, Groo found /p5 increasingly difficult. On Jail 2 he finally dropped it down to /p3 and things were smooth sailing again. Andariel was fairly easy and dropped several rares (none useful) and an emerald. I was more impressed with a couple of zombies in the catacombs who dropped runes (Ith and El). Groo and Fiona have decided to go after Radament first instead of heading straight for the Cube as my characters usually do.

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Ancients way 40     Rare giant sword        
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby

Fallen heroes

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   N Catacomb4  46     Rare Giant Sword

Im about to start and im going with Charger paladin or Zeal.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High