Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Ancients way 40     Rare giant sword        
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/Tal/Tal/Tal
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2xch topaz/ch skull
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     Rare Claymore
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Dark Wood    15     2-H/ch topaz/ch skull
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Dark Wood    12     2-H/3os
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorcerous  Stony Field  11     2-H/superior sword
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian  Cold Plains  8      2-H/normal sword
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin   Rogue Camp   1      Starting Katar
NacRuno      Vega            Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Starting Wand
ShadedOne    Deuxmain        Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Starting Sword

Fallen heroes

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   N Catacomb4  46     Rare Giant Sword
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Miyumi killed the Smith last night. BoS and CoS seem to be the ticket so far. She's slicin' and dicin' right along on p8 with no problems. Maybe she will the one to find a Sword of Destiny.

Svein

Code:
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch sapph/skull/ruby
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2xch topaz/ch skull
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin   Jail Lvl 1   17     2-H/2 ch emrld
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Dark Wood    15     2-H/ch topaz/ch skull

Fallen heroes

Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Welcome to all new players! And Han--glad we'll be getting more of your writeups!

My sorc has made it to Tal's tomb after a ridiculously easy battle with the summoner. Tele past the goons and three or four hits from Desdemona and Durga and he was out. His drop was awful--two blues. Man, though, Durga is a killing machine, as his attack is so much faster than mine.

I wish I'd left the door open for Static Field with Sorcs . . . that would make me less nervous about Duriel. Hopefully, my next update will NOT be my 2nd deeds of the tournament.

Quick Question: Are we allowed to invest skill points into forbidden skills for their synergistic purposes?

Quick Question: Are we allowed to invest skill points into forbidden skills for their synergistic purposes?

Yes. The spirit of the restrictions are to force people to use their swords and not damaging spells, so if you're boosting a synergy but don't use that skill in battle you're OK.

My Zealectric Pally and I are progressing nicely through A1. Everything has been a breeze save one Fanatic Archer pack in the Forgotten Tower, which was as close to a NDE that I got.

Code:
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin    Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2

Fallen heroes

[/QUOTE]

Well, Desdemona made it out of Lut Gholein, but barely. Duriel was a nightmare, even on players 1. He did drop a nice set of rare chain mail that finally gives Des some lite resist, as well as a rare ring that's largely useless. Also got the infernal belt, which of course isn't of any use.

Still, as Des couldn't even touch Duriel with her extra-slow sword strikes under his Holy Freeze, it's clear the true hero of this tale so far is a certain grizzled merc named Durga. And what do you know? Someone found his journal . . .

From the journal of Durga, mercenary of Greiz's company:

We came to the desert because, it was said, they could not defend themselves, that their town guards had all been called into the palace. Not my business. We skirmished with those beetle things and maggots in the fringes surrounding the town, but nothing more than that.

I was nearby when she approached Greiz. Pretty, young, and carrying a sword that looked four sizes too big for her. She said she was headed out into the desert, deep into the desert, and she wanted a partner. What did this girl think she was doing? She had the cash though, and Greiz said she checked out; in fact, she'd apparently done some pretty amazing things back east, rescuing some philosopher from the ruins of Tristram and even slaying a demon called Andariel.

The first thing she did was take me shopping. She told me to get rid of my trusty spear and bougth me a voulge. "This will help you strike more quickly," she said. I told her it wouldn't do no good if I couldn't hurt anything with it. She smiled, and with a wave of her hand, the head of the voulge rippled with flame. Now that was something I could get used to. And I did.

We headed into the sewers to find something called a "Radament." This girl--calls herself Desdemona--said we needed to get used to working together. So she enchanted my weapon and we hacked our way through. You should see this girl fight, and I don't mean she's all that good at it. I mean, she can barely lift this sword. She swings the thing so slowly I can take out four of those goatmen things before she even hits one. But she won't give up the big swords, says something about a prophecy and that she must prepare if she's to find and wield the Sword of Destiny. Great, I says, let's go get it. But she doesn't know where it is, only that she's supposed to find it while trying to rid the world of the Prime Evils. That one made me laugh. This girl? Taking on the worst Hell has to offer?

But then we started going deeper and deeper into the desert. We'd made our way into the aptly-named Halls of the Dead, and find ourselves in this great big room, with dozens of walking skeletons and three of those mummy things that can raise 'em up as fast as we kill em. We were going to be overwhelmed, and I couldn't kill the skeletons fast enough to get to the resurrectors. Desdemona, she calls out, "Durga! Get ready to hit that one," pointing to a mummy on the other side of about 10 skeletons. She's crazy, I thought, we can't get to them. Then, she waved her hands, and I felt like I was going to vomit. Suddenly, I was on the other side of the skellies and right in front of the mummy. Only years of battle training saved me from being too stunned to strike, and I cut him down after a second. Since then, we've started perfecting this "telestrike." She barely even warns me anymore.

Well, long story short, we managed to find this old tomb and fought this big, disgusting thing. Well, I should say I fought it. The beast was so cold that it made it hard to swing your weapon at all. For Desdemona, that meant she was getting pounded by the monster before her stroke could fall. So she played decoy and I stood toe-to-toe with it. We used her teleporting scrolls to refresh back in Lut Gholein a few times, but eventually the thing died. As I stood there, my voulge flaming of the corpse of the demon, I looked into Desdemona's eyes, and she nodded as she sifted through the treasures the slug left behind. No sword. She simply nodded to me and said, "Let's go" She really believes that she's going to find this sword of Destiny.

You know what? I'm starting to believe it too, though for the life of me I don't know why. And so, having asked leave of Greiz, I'm following this girl and her too-big sword off to Kurast, hoping to prevent the release of the demon Mephisto from his prison.

If we're going to do this, I hope she gets herself a sword she can actually swing.
~Durga

Code:
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Kurast       23     Claymore/Amethyst/El        
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin    Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2

Fallen heroes

Wow, very nice write-up Sixstringer. And a very original way of making an update that is.

Short update myself. Decided to finish normal last night. No problems whatsoever. Baal had it in for my merc killing him 4 times. But better him then me. He dropped me 4 rare weapons. Of course none of them was a 2-handed sword. That made me angry enough to kill him again. This time dropping the lance of yaggai (sp?) and hsaru's belt.

After that i ventured a bit into NM. Fire resist is pretty decent. Poison just above 0. But cold and lightning are well below zero. So i'm being pretty carefull with that. If my resists don't go up by the end of the act i might do some rerunning.

Also notable: i found a better sword. A 3-soc flamberge. Put a jewel in it with 3-8 fire dam. And a regular sapphire for 4-7 cold dam. 3rd socket is still open.

Made up camp at the stony field to spend the night so next up is the rescue of Cain.

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     N StonyField 45     flamberge/jewel/sapphire
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Kurast       23     Claymore/Amethyst/El        

Fallen heroes

I just killed mephesto who was the easiest boss yet :D

My stats:

Level: 30
Merc: Desert guard w/ defiance aura
Skills: 20 sword mastery, 10 iron skin, 1 natural resistance
Sword: Superior Gemed Giant sword ( Ith, Saphire, and jewel (+5 max dmg, +17 ar) )

Can someone update this information onto the chart? ( just the lvl and location and sword)
Or teach me how?
Thanks

@ Justin: Updating a table is real easy. First you quote the post of the person with the most recent or up-to-date table. Then remove the quote-tags. Lots of people forget to remove the on the end of a post. Thats why you often see the end-quote at the end of a post. Remove other text you don't need from the quoted post. Update you're character in the table. Add any text of your own to your post. And press the 'submit reply' button to put your post on the forum. It's as easy as that.
Oh yeah, and don't forget to preview your post before submitting to see if the table isn't all messed up.

Might as well do my own update now.

First i executed Cain. Uhm, i mean rescued :badteeth:. In Tristram a very nice rare mask dropped. Lots of lightning and cold resist. Just what i needed. Now all my resists are at least out of the red numbers. Other than that the rest of the act was very uneventfull. Andy managed to kill my merc and 1 valk. Didn't bother ressurecting the merc because the valk is far more durable and also stronger.
In act II switched to a might merc. Who apparently is 'mighty' good at dying. Hopefully that will improve when he catches up to me in lvl's. And also put a 9 max dam jewel in my sword. Already got one with 4 socs and an espandon with 3 so when i find something decent to put in that i can switch to a better sword.

On another note. Keep your eyes open for crafting. I crafted some hitpower boots. Nothing fancy, but better than what i was wearing. And also a caster amulet. Had to gain 3 more lvl's before i could actually wear it. It has +2 passive skills for amazon, 8 resist all and some dr. So all in all pretty decent.

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     N Dry Hills  52     flamberge (2x jewel/1x sapphire)
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 30     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))

Fallen heroes

I finally had some time to play with my Vega, and finished actI. Being a necromancer is far more easier than i had anticipated actually. Even low level bone armor is great since it is cheap to cast, and since most of actI monsters deal physical damage i rarely used potions till catacomb levels. Not receiving damage means no hit recovery which is great by itself. Even the heavy hitters like treehead were no match for Vega. On top of that amplify and life tap are great utility skills for melee. I was able to tank and kill Andarial easily by alternating between those two curses.

Only thing that troubles me so far is... blizzard just didn't want necros to use swords. Each attack almost takes a second with the fast labeled-two handed swords. The sword is displayed as normal attack speed for sorcs but according to speed calc even they swing faster than me :ponder:. I can bear with the speed normally when i get chilled, it is a different matter. When i click on a fallen to attack, before my sword hits there is enough time for my merc to kill another monster next to me and as a result scaring away the fallen i was trying to hit.

Enough ranting, assassins share the same breakpoints for the swords as the necros anyway :whistling:

Andariel drops were very nice other than the skull. I got a rare chainmail and a rare belt. I am still swinging a two-handed sword socketed with a chipped saphire and ruby. Hope to change that to a socketed/rare great sword in actII. Now i will directly go for the cube since my stash is full of gems.

A question to make sure, curses are cast meaning faster cast rate works on them right? Even though i am pretty sure it is that way i just never thought curses as spells so it got me puzzled :scratchchin:

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     N Dry Hills  52     flamberge (2x jewel/1x sapphire)
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 30     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
NacRuno      Vega            Necro      Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch sapph/ruby

Fallen heroes

Thanks you taught me and did it for me :p lol Next time ill try doing it myself, im now preparing for Diablo! :D

Edit: Dang.. was killing izzy and game froze... took so long to get his health down lol... gotta do it all over again

Last edited:

Groo has been through the sewers and the desert as far as the Far Oasis WP. Hasn't found any rings, but 3 rare amulets...too bad he only has one neck. If he lives long enough, he's going to be a WW barb, as this is the preferred fighting style of the comic book character that he's named after.

Code:
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Far Oasis    22     Rare claymore

Fallen heroes

I can bear with the speed normally when i get chilled, it is a different matter. When i click on a fallen to attack, before my sword hits there is enough time for my merc to kill another monster next to me and as a result scaring away the fallen i was trying to hit.

You're in for some fun then, if you get far enough. I'm in NM now and being chilled is really annoying to say the least. Because of my low cold resist it also lasts pretty long. And no ravenfrost to the rescue so i better get used to it.

A question to make sure, curses are cast meaning faster cast rate works on them right? Even though i am pretty sure it is that way i just never thought curses as spells so it got me puzzled :scratchchin:
AFAIK it's a spell and thus is affected by FCR. Though i wouldn't sacrifice any gear over it. It's not like you're gonna spam curses like you would with frozen orb or something like that.

I wish I'd left the door open for Static Field with Sorcs . . .

Me too! :crazyeyes: . . and the Journal of Durga! . . what an awesome idea! . . and what a perfect character with which to do it!

You're in for some fun then, if you get far enough. I'm in NM now and being chilled is really annoying to say the least. Because of my low cold resist it also lasts pretty long. And no ravenfrost to the rescue so I better get used to it.

Hey! That was exactly my problem and thought process . . . all melee, amazingly slow base attack speed, and no chance of cbf! . . yeah, that’s about when I lost interest in the Assassin (plus she had to land four hits in semi-rapid succession to get any damage . . . ugh). My new plan is cheerleading! . . or um, Sixstringer called it telestriking . . . that sounds much better! :thumbup:

Hinamori followed closely in the footsteps of Desdemona as she proceeded through Act 2. Players 7 was used up to Duriel (who was done at players 1 because I wasn’t interested in a long and perhaps dangerous battle and he/she/it seldom drops anything useful anyways). As was apparently the case with Durga and Desdemona, Hazade (combat merc) was the bronze and Hinamori was the brains of this particular operation (though, Hinamori’s two handed sword of Tal/Tal/Tal enabled her to retain some combat effectiveness). Emboldened with her poisonous sword Hinamori still continued to engage most monsters except for the ones with extreme elemental damage (for those she relegated herself to cheerleading <--- the Summoner was really the most dangerous foe encountered). In comparison to the Summoner, Duriel was really easy (though he/she/it was done at players 1 . . . so what do you expect). Hinamori and Hazade both engaged Duriel at once and were almost able to defeat the boss without retreating to town but in the end opted to make one trip. Duriel didn’t drop much (but the belt turned out to have dual resistances and was certainly better than the white belt that she was wearing).

Other notable finds included this all resistances strength grand charm (clvl of 10? . . awesome). Hinamori also found this staff that has +2 Enchant . . . which seemed really useful for prebuffing . . . until I consulted the rules . . . As far as I could tell I couldn’t use this on switch for prebuffing . . . right? Another interesting find was the ‘Lost City’ . . . though how they could lose something that is so close to their city walls is beyond me . . .

Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 2.

Code:
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress  Kurast       25     2-H/Tal/Tal/Tal

Fallen heroes

You're in for some fun then, if you get far enough. I'm in NM now and being chilled is really annoying to say the least. Because of my low cold resist it also lasts pretty long. And no ravenfrost to the rescue so i better get used to it.

I think that is enough reason to consider VoR as the best end game RW in this tourney. It both has great mods and relatively easy to acquire. But i should rather focus on surviving rather than planning that state i guess.

About FCR for curses; I thought it would be helpful since i will be using level 1 curses most of the time and i keep casting them during fighting. But you are right, it is probably not worth sacrificing other mods.

Can next one to update the table correct my standing according to my previous post please. Otherwise it can wait untill my next update.

edit1 @HSF: very nice screenshots and grand charm :thumbsup:. About the staff, i am pretty sure you can use it since it is a non-blue item and i remember Sixstringer saying prebuffing with other gear is ok as long as you do the killing with your sword. I am not sure if we can prebuff using blue/set/unique items though.

edit3 @HSF: checked again and it seems Sixstringer didn't say any such thing, it would be better to wait for his answer. Sorry for confusion. But i was using a white wand to cast my bone armor for some time, if it is aganist the rules i may drop out of the tourney with my current char and enter with another.

edit2: My bad about VoR, i didn't think it was ladder-only. So we are forced to make Eternity if we want CBF :dopey:

Last edited:

Code:

Fallen heroes

TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Balck Marsh  17     2-H/ch topaz.ch skull

Deeds. Norris bit the dust in the Black Marsh after getting trapped by 2 boss packs of Night Clan or Moon Clan not exactly sure which and Carvers almost instantly after using the WP. That combined with the neighbors non-stop yapping dog frustrating me to the brink of insanity spelled doom for poor Norris. R.I.P. Norris will be missed.

Other notable finds included this all resistances strength grand charm (clvl of 10? . . awesome). Hinamori also found this staff that has +2 Enchant . . . which seemed really useful for prebuffing . . . until I consulted the rules . . . As far as I could tell I couldn’t use this on switch for prebuffing . . . right?

A good question, and one I hadn't considered.

Since druids and barbs can get + to class skills from helms, and no other classes can use their class items for this tournament, I'll make the following judgement and hope you players don't raise your big swords in protest:

White/grey items (staffs, necro heads, etc.) can be used on switch for pre-buffing, but not for killing. And blues are still out. Hopefully, you will all find this a fair ruling.

If you've found items like this and passed them up because you thought they were against the rules, I'm sorry, but kudos to you for playing so hardcore.

Keep hunting for your Destiny!

Groo and Fiona finished with the desert for now with some fancy snake charming, then headed for the palace. The guard let them in this time...nice of him, huh? Still at /p3 and still no real problems. The hospitable snakes had given Groo a rare ring, well worth waiting for: +70 AR, 4% life leech, dam reduced by 2, and 29% LR. :) Time to stalk the Summoner.

Code:
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Arcane Sanc. 24     Rare claymore

Fallen heroes

TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Balck Marsh  17     2-H/ch topaz.ch skull

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High