Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

I think we'll keep it to all rares except the Sword of Destiny, though if we ever do this again or a similar type tournament (the Bardiche of Destiny? :) ) it might be worth talking about adding in some personalization rules.

I've enjoyed the fun factor of finding rares--it beats the heck out of identifying 4,500 blue amulets to find a good one. Incidentally, the Summoner dropped Stormblade a very nice amulet with big poison and fire resists and smaller ones to lite and cold.

Made it to Lut Gholein!! Andy went down pretty easy, dropping a rare Falchion, rare crossbow and rare shield, none of which will be much help for this tourney. Ready to to go after Radament now. I am NOT looking forward to the Maggot Lair! (eeeesh!)

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Dry Hills    21     Claymore/Ral rune
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull 
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   Lut Gholein  18     2-H/ch ruby
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Cold Plains  6      2-H/3os
FurobinS     TheBlackKnight  Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Short Sword

Fallen heros

sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Withdrew myself from the tournament. :doh:

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     FlayerJungle 27     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull 
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Lut Gholein  18     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph

Fallen heros

JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Howell made it to Lut Gholein. :) Andariel dropped a ruby, so that went in my new 2-hander along with the skull and Jewel of Envy. After he made it, it occurred to me that the Tal that the Countess had dropped would have been better than the Envy...oh well. Also in Catacombs 1 he found a rare hawk helm. The +'s to 3 skills aren't helpful in this tourney but it has other good mods, so the rare skull cap got handed down to Amplisa. I've decided to keep her around for awhile as I prefer range mercs with melee characters. I'm saving Charsi's imbue for a bow for her as soon as I find a short battle bow. Once in Lut Gholein, Howell first headed for the Halls of the Dead to get the Cube. He started Act II on /p3, but after a few NDE's in the Halls he dropped to /p1. Now to Cube a bunch of chippies...

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Lut Gholein  20     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy

Fallen heros

I think I will join this tourney, it's been a while since I've had the time. So enter Norris the Barbarian.

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Lut Gholein  20     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Cold Plains  7      2-H/ch skull

Fallen heros

Just a quick table update to signify my start. Nothing interesting happened as expected. No NDE's.

Last edited:

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about personalization, but the spirit of the tournament is one sword at a time. You'll have to work around/compensate for the weaknesses of whatever sword drops. My problem as an avenger won't be PIs, it'll be EVERYTHING if a low damage sword drops as Vengeance is dependent on the physical damage of the item.

Save your runes, too, as creating a runeword sword might be your way around a sword that doesn't fit your build.
Okay, no problem. It suits me both ways :yes:
Very interesting tourney I must say, can't wait to see who will first find his sword. Also love that I don't have to pick up anything but rares, and that I can't use topazes in armor/helm for a change.

time to put myself in a table. I've chosen a barb, and named him Macho. Mach on croatic (it is pronounced that way) means sword. So, he's Macho :smug:
Managed to get to Lut Gholein without much trouble. Andy dropped unique and rare ring. To bad I can't use Nagel. Significant finds in act are 14MF rare gloves, rare bow with ctc Amplify damage, +3 sword mastery jawbone cap (I've found more than 20 barb helms, and this one was the best). Stil no rare boots, belt, one ring & ammy.

Off to desert. Not now.. maybe tomorrow.

Code:
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz

Fallen heros

edit: post count 1800 :grin:

I haven't played a whirler for a while so it's time for HugeWilly to rise again.

Code:
[B][I]Running[/I][/B]

Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Catacombs 2  18     2-hand/Beryl Jewel of Envy
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Cold Plains  10     2-H/ch topaz/skull/sapph
FurobinS     TheBlackKnight  Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Short Sword
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Start wand
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Rogue Camp   1      Start Katar
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian  Rogue Camp   1      Start Axe

[B][I]Fallen heros[/I][/B]

Well I’ve been doing plenty of playing and not much reporting so here comes the wall of text.

After defeating the demon Andariel Hinamori dismissed Kyle (cold arrow merc) and traveled to Lut Gholein were she met Razan (combat merc). Hinamori, Razan, and the Shadow Warrior turned out to be a very formidable fighting force (so strong that Hinamori often seemed a bit superfluous). Hinamori continued her strategy of punch, punch, punch, with fists (of fire) and then switching to the sword to unleashed fiery destruction. This strategy was plenty effective at players 5-7 and the biggest problem was getting in four hits before Razan or the Shadow finished off the monster in question (which of course, really wasn’t a bad problem to have at all). There really wasn’t anything that would qualify as an exciting near death, but with zero poison resistance, Hinamori did find herself in town with one hit point left on more than one occasion. The biggest monster problem was appropriately Duriel (who was done at players 7). The big problem with Duriel was getting chilled to the point that it was almost impossible to land four hits before getting stunned or really hurt . . . that’s where Razan and the Shadow came into play. Razan probably did most of the damage while Hinamori got beat up. The Shadow served mostly as a distraction as it was unable to withstand enough hits to finish charging up Fists of Fire and strike. Razan and the Shadow died many times in the battle but happily the prohibition on gambling had left hundreds of thousands of dollars in the budget for reviving poor Razan. Duriel dropped some nice things (the Tarnhelm turned out to have 42mf). Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 2.

Hinamori proceeded through Act 3 much as she had through Act 2. Fists of Fire and Razan continued to be very effective. The biggest problem in Act 3 was a lack of resistances that made monsters like the Flayer Shaman a bit scary, so the quest reward ring was very helpful (and incidentally, it was also the first rare ring Hinamori encountered). Another rare ring with nice fire resits was also found but mostly Hinamori seemed to excel at finding Set Items (wrong tournament though :doh: ). Hinamori hit level 30 right before the battle with Mephisto and was excited to finally get to use Phoenix Strike, . . only to find that a level 1 Phoenix Strike was next to useless (and really wasn’t used at all until the very end of Act 5). So Hinamori ended up killing Mephisto with more fire power (she attempted to use even more fire power . . . but it didn’t seem to impact Mephisto). Mephisto didn’t drop anything worth getting excited about. Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 3.

Act 4 went by very fast (up until Diablo). The most troubling monsters continued to be ones that dealt elemental damage (such as the fire breathing pit lords). Another troubling monster was the Oblivion Knights (for pretty much the same reason that Duriel had been an issue). The Oblivion Knights of course did plenty defensive casting of Decrepify which slowed Hinamori’s attacks to the point that even if she able to somehow charge up Fists of Fire she rarely managed to deliver the death blow (the Knights would move out of the way before her sword finally fell). Then came Diablo . . . who is pretty scary to a poor little melee Assassin with only around 40 fire and 50 lightning resists (even with a level 1 Fade). As soon as the battle began it was clear that Hinamori really wasn’t going to be able to use Fists of Fire . . . to start with, she was troubling hitting the demon and furthermore had to dodge every elemental attack . . . and while she was busy dodging the elemental attacks any charge up she had managed to get would disappear . . . so the battle fell to Razan and the Shadow (and as the Shadaw would go bye, bye, anytime Diablo unleashed anything elemental . . . it all really fell on Razan to defeat the demon). So the general battle plan became Hinamori approaching Diablo in such a way that Diablo would facing Hinamori and the merc could approach from behind (Razan didn’t handle elemental attacks all that well either). Hinamori would then pretend to attack Diablo’s frontside while Razan did all the damage from behind. Lots of dodging, some resurrecting and a ton of potions later, Diablo dropped a number of pretty nice rare items (one of the belts was ethereal, but the other belt and the boots are still in use). Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 4.

On a side note, if you’re still reading this I salute your endurance.

Armed with new boots and a belt that together granted Hinamori poison length reduction, half freeze duration, faster hit recovery and some good resistances, Hinamori zipped through Act 5 very few problems. Fists of Fire was maxed so all skill points went into Phoenix Strike which still wasn’t that awesome by the end of Act 5 . . . so punch, punch, punch, with fists (of fire) and then switching to the sword continued to be the tactic of choice. Act 5 was done at players 5 (except the Ancients and Baal) and none of the monsters except the Plucked Chickens were able to stand up to Hinamori’s fiery attacks. The Plucked Chickens were mostly able to put up a good fight due to their ability to repeatedly stun Hinamori to the point that she couldn’t charge up Fists of Fire . . . but in the end the Plucked Chickens were separated and killed with a combination of all three phases of Phoenix Strike plus Razan (who continued to be very handy, especially after a rare Partizan with good ed was found). Baal was done at players 1 because I really wasn’t in the mood for a long and painful fight . . . at players 1 (using Fists of Fire) the battle was completed very quickly and the drop was still pretty good (though not useable). Here were Hinamori’s stats at the end of Act 5.

Destroyer Hinamori then tested herself against the Cow King and found she was very effective (but what would you expect from a level 41 characer).

Here were Hinamori’s stats entering NM.

Code:
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   Rogue Cmp NM 41     Rare Giant Sword
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz

Fallen heros

Last edited:

Made it through the Halls of the Dead. I don't know how much longer I'll stay on /players 8. It's getting kind of nerve-wracking. Radament dropped me a nice pair of yellow boots with +14 MF, so maybe I'll find some more good yellow stuff. I bought a 3-socket Claymore from Fara, but have not found anything to put in it yet. I'm hoping to find a slew of emeralds to cube up for some major punch. Maybe a Tal or Ral rune would be nice, too. Looking for the Maggot Lair, now. I'm thinking it may not be so bad without a whole herd of skellies to keep track of.

Svein

Code:
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Far Oasis    22     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull 

Fallen heros

Reposting the table so Brutass and I are included :whistling:

Code:
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Far Oasis    22     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull

Fallen heros

And a late edit to give this post some substance:

My Shadow Warrior is starting to seem very weak and I’m not sure if I should pump Shadow Warrior or start putting points in Shadow Master. I haven’t put any points any Shadow Master because though not specifically banned it seemed that it might have been implied? . . The question being: It’s my understanding that Shadow Master can choose to use any Assassin skill, so it might end up using skills that are banned for this tournament. So, is Shadow Master allowed or did you mean to ban it?

Last edited:

My Shadow Warrior is starting to seem very weak and I’m not sure if I should pump Shadow Warrior or start putting points in Shadow Master. I haven’t put any points any Shadow Master because though not specifically banned it seemed that it might have been implied? . . The question being: It’s my understanding that Shadow Master can choose to use any Assassin skill, so it might end up using skills that are banned for this tournament. So, is Shadow Master allowed or did you mean to ban it?

Thanks for the update--sounds like Diablo was not a lot of fun. I'm hoping some Salvation points will keep Stormblade alive long enough to exact some Vengeance on him.

As to your question, to be honest, I have hardly ever played assassins, so I didn't think about Shadow Master's abilities. I'll allow it under existing minion rules, though I would like your feedback on whether you think it unbalances things to have the SM trapping stuff, just in case we ever do this again.

As for Stormblade, he has battled his way through to the Kurast Bazaar and is getting ready for some sewer running. I played on players 3 for most of Act III, mostly to avoid an unfortunate low level sword drop as much as possible, but with Meph looming, I've bumped back up again to try and get the XP to level 30 and the twin boons of Conviction and Salvation.

I had a few close calls (not really NDEs, but scary nonetheless) with Shamans until I started waiting on Haphet the cold Iron Wolf to freeze 'em. Biggest scare so far, though, was a Blood Lord type who meteored me when hunting Lam Esen's tome. I had to rejuve it quick while the fire mat whittled me down.

Haphet, by the way, is also anxiously awaiting the arrival of Conviction and the damage boost to his Glacial Spike and Ice Blast.

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Kur. Bazaar  28     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy

Fallen heros

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Kur. Bazaar  28     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Dark Wood    12     2-H/3os

Fallen heros

Judith hacked and slashed her way through the Stony Field and Underground Passage at p8, then did the usual (for me) tourney trick of running through the Dark Wood at p1, picking up the scroll and finding the waypoint, then a quick tp back to town & waypoint to Stony Field, where she went back to p8 and cleared out Tristram.

NDE: 1) to a Amped pack of Champion Skellie Archers in Tristram (4 Champ skellies, 1 cursed skellie boss, and a half dozen or so archers): the Rogue checked out pretty quick, and Judith had to TP to town for a merc res and belt refill with about 2 hitpoints, but they prevailed; 2) to friggen Grizwold: jeez. Amp + Grizzy + Champ Goatmen = hurty hurty, but between a 6 point TS and 1 point CS, she prevailed once again.

Finds: some meh rare booties, which brings her resistances up to a whopping 7 each. WOOT! Other than that, nope.

Skills: 6 in TS; 1 in CS, DTalon, DC, CM, PS, CoS, WB and BoS. A Two-Hander + 6 point TS = death to all with a certain quickness. Good times.

[highlight]Judith the TSer and Liene the Cold Rogue hacking and shooting their way through A1N. Up Next: The Countess. . . [/highlight]

Howell is still howlin'. After clearing everything before, he, Amplisa and Wolf are working their way through the Lost City. He just found a rare amulet with 14% MF and 19% poison resist (good thing to have in Act II), so now all slots are filled and his only un-rare items are his sword and plain white chain mail. He sighed over a unique double axe but resisted the temptation.

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Lost City    23     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy

Fallen heros

Deeded Hinamori at NM Andariel. Andariel gets some of the credit but boredom was certainly a factor. Fists of Fire was still working pretty well in NM but it was getting harder and harder to hit anything and Hinamori’s resistances were not so great so there was a ton of time spent dodging pretty much any monster group. Andariel was all this amplified. Andariel always managed to kill the merc and the shadow before Hinamori could charge up any attack (part of the problem was that she really couldn’t hit Andariel with any consistency). Also, there were plenty of occasions where Hinamori would get a good charge built up but couldn’t hit Andariel before it expired . . . which of course really annoying and caused increasingly aggressive play that directly contributed to the death. Really the problem was that after around 25 minutes Andariel had only been brought down to around 50% of her hitpoints and potions and patience were running out. I obviously had one Full Rejuvenation Potion left (but was trying to save it for an emergency) . . . then Hinamori got hit with some super aggressive poison and caught a couple unlucky blows before I realized how bad things were . . . she was gone. (You might have noticed that she was slain by a Ghoul . . . a bit ironic because I was keeping those around on purpose because while I really couldn’t hit Andariel consistently, I was still able to build up charges by hitting the Ghouls and then once charged up attempting to hit Andariel).

I’m sure I could have gotten through had I really put my mind to it but I really wasn’t looking forward to playing with the character anyways. Still, the build seemed pretty fun but should probably really be played with claws (not fists) and should have a real finishing move (not a painfully slow swing of a sword).

Code:
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Lost City    23     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy

Fallen heros

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   Catacomb4 NM 46     Rare Giant Sword

Reenter with another char?

I probably won’t enter another character in this tournament. It seems like the test realm for v1.13 should be up anytime now and I still have three tournament characters that I need to finish off . . . one way or another . . . muahaha! :thumbup:

Got a bit of time in last night and Thrain grabbed his skill book and the cube and made his way to the Far Oasis wp, all without any real excitement.

Code:
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Far Oasis    20     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz

Fallen heros

[/QUOTE]

Deeds for Elric! :( He made it to level 24 and was looking for Duriel when he got cornered by an Unraveller and got unravelled. I'm gonna try one more time with a Druid.

Svein

Code:
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Far Oasis    20     2-H/2 ch emrld/topaz
sveinbjorn   Nature Boy      Druid      Rogue Camp   1      Starting Club

Fallen heros

sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull

On second thought, let me make that an assassin...

Svein

Code:
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin  Rogue Camp    1      Starting Katar

Fallen heros

sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull

HugeWilly made a start on his quest last night for The Sword of Destiny. Extremely uneventful thus far. He spanked Blood Raven with no trouble at all; next up Cain

Code:
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian  Cold Plains  8      2-H/normal sword
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin  Rogue Camp    1      Starting Katar

Fallen heros

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High