Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

I’ll enter with an Assassin that is going to do something with Fists of Fire and Phoenix Strike. A Martial Arts Assassin is about the last thing I’ve never made so I’m not 100% sure that these skills work with a sword (looks like they do) . . . someone stop me if I’m wrong. I don’t really have any idea as to what I’m doing here so it should be exciting!

FYI: Fists of Fire only works with claws; the other skills in that line (claws of thunder, blades of ice) likewise.

Phoenix Strike works with any melee weapon.

Ok. This does look interesting, but I'm fairly involved in another tourney at the present. But when I tire of killing off hardcore toons in that tourney, I'll definitely jump in on this one.

Good Luck Everyone!

CYRAX:
1) Decoys do not deal damage, so they don't coun't toward the minion cap.
2) A good question, but I'm going to say stick with the first sword, no matter what.
3) No problem.
4) I'm going to allow the pally auras since I didn't outlaw them from the beginning. I have changed my thinking on my personal character (going to play a pure avenger instead of a freezer), but if someone wants to play one of those, it's OK.

BURAZ:
1) I should have been more clear--you can have any merc you like. Your kills need to be melee kills only, but your Act I merc is fine, as is an Act III merc if people want to use one.
2) No socketing of merc gear. Just a way of adding to the challenge a bit so people aren't gemming up a bardiche or something and letting the merc do the work.

Okay, thanx for explanation. Got one more:
What the heck shall we do with all gold since we cannot gamble? Guess we'll have to start drinking at Atma's place, right :grin:

@Han - The martial arts skills on the left side of the tree (Fists of fire etc) only work with claws. The martial arts skills in the middle branch (Tiger strike, cobra strike and Phoenix strike) all work with any melee weapon I think. You should have fun with a phoenix striker, I love those. (I suck with them, but that's ok, I pretty much suck with every character class).

I am currently enrolled in the blood god tourney, and I have my own private projects as well, so I guess I won't join, at least not for the foreseeable future. But a good tourney concept!

Thnx for answering my questions so far.

I'm also a bit curious at rule 14. Why would the highest lvl guardian win? If a tourney is single pass then i can see why. It forces players to try to do full clears at the highest possible playersetting. But since that isn't the case here i wonder why you choose this. I mean one could play through until the last wp and then rerun areas like AT to further lvl up without too much risk. And in theory could go as far as 99 before making guardian. I'd say it's much more interesting to see how much risk people can take while still making guardian, by making the lowest lvl guardian win.

As you can see below i've decided to enter. Just finished act 1. Already got my first unique sword (blood crescent). Not my sword of destiny however, since it's only a single-hander. Too bad though since it has some pretty nice mods and i might do a lot worse with one of the 2-handers.

GL to the others.

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Black Marsh  14     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  Black Marsh  14     2-H/ch emrld/topaz
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Den of Evil  5      Sh Sword/Ch Skull
Sixstringer  Silas           Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Short Sword
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Rogue Camp   1      Hand Axe
FurobinS     TheBlackKnight  Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Short Sword

@Jamesixgun and Merlin: Thanks and Thanks! . . shame that Tiger Strike and Cobra Strike don't synergize with Phoenix Strike but I'll try it anyways! I'm starting now . . .

Okay, thanx for explanation. Got one more:
What the heck shall we do with all gold since we cannot gamble? Guess we'll have to start drinking at Atma's place, right :grin:

Actually, that's one reason I set the rules up the way I did. No need to run around picking up blue after blue, talking to cain, selling it, then gambling or shopping. Look for rares and forget about money except for pots or scrolls. I think that will make gameplay more fun.

I also don't have a problem with people using money or stuff to mule things to other characters. I never mule in SP, but as long as your character for this tourney isn't using stuff that's gambled, that's OK by me.

Hmm . . . interesting suggestion from Cyrax as to "lowest level guardian wins."

Since we're so early in the tournament, anyone else have thoughts on this?

I did think about a scoring system where you'd get the usual wp, quest points and subtract character level, but also subtracting the level requirement of your Sword of Destiny. That way, players who get low level swords would lose less points that way. Just a thought .

I think it's still early enough to change things if players want. I just like the concept and wanted to try it myself.

I would say Cyrax is right. If you put it to lowest clvl guardian wins, it would make much more sense: that person wouldn't rerun areas much to get better equipment, and so it would be much harder for her/him to end game, so he/she should be winner :nod:

I guess I have the dubious honor of the first "deeds." Poor Fafhrd got mobbed by Carvers and Wraiths in the Cathedral. While he was battling them, Boneash showed up and started pelting him with poison. Fafhrd could not break free of the mob, and potions were not enough to keep him going. He never even had a chance to find his Sword of Destiny. (sniff).

Svein

I am going to start over with Elric, a necro. Don't have the build figured out yet.

Code:
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     Lut Gholein  19     2-H/ch skull/topaz/emrld
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd (RIP)    Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Den of Evil  5      Sh Sword/Ch Skull
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Start wand

OK, then--two votes from early players. I'll change it on the main page to reflect this decision: lowest level Guardian wins.

Svein -- Sorry to hear about your deeds, but I'm glad you're trying again. A necro could be a good choice for this tourney if you can get some IAS, as bone armor/prison, lifetap, amp damage, decrep are all useful in melee. Dim Vision too against archer types. Plus you could make an Iron Golem out of some of the gear you can't use, which would be fun.

Svein -- Sorry to hear about your deeds, but I'm glad you're trying again. A necro could be a good choice for this tourney if you can get some IAS, as bone armor/prison, lifetap, amp damage, decrep are all useful in melee. Dim Vision too against archer types. Plus you could make an Iron Golem out of some of the gear you can't use, which would be fun.

It'll be interesting, as I haven't played non-fishymancer necros very much. It will be fun to play with the different curses.

I have a question... does "Attacker takes damage of X" count as return damage, or is it not allowable? A lot of rares have this attribute.

Edit: You raised an interesting point about iron golem. What restrictions apply as far as items I can use for that?

Svein

My sympathies, sveinbjorn.

Leona is struggling along as I thought she would...I picked what I thought to be the most difficult class. Blood Raven took her 3 tries. On first entering the Burial Grounds she made her first attempt, used up all her potions without putting a dent in Blood Raven, and decided to take on the Mausoleum instead. She came back with a better sword (sabre/ch topaz), went through another batch of potions, and chose the Crypt as more doable. On the 3rd try, she had another sword (sabre/ch skull), another level (8th), and BR had fire arrows instead of the cold of the first 2 tries. I didn't know Blood Raven changed arrow types unless you restarted the game, which I didn't. Leona succeeded this time, and is now clearing the rest of the Cold Plains with her new sidekick, Gwinni. Next up: the Cave and good old Coldcrow. Have been playing on /p5 so far. Found a plain 2-handed sword, but am still acquiring the STR to carry it.

Code:
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Cold Plains  9      Sabre/Ch Skull

All right, I'm in. I haven't done many tournies, or too many untwinked HC toons, so I'm anticipating an early exit... Sounds like fun though...

Code:
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Black Marsh  11     2-H/JofEnvy

It'll be interesting, as I haven't played non-fishymancer necros very much. It will be fun to play with the different curses.

I have a question... does "Attacker takes damage of X" count as return damage, or is it not allowable? A lot of rares have this attribute.

Edit: You raised an interesting point about iron golem. What restrictions apply as far as items I can use for that?

Svein

Svein - Any rares are OK no matter what their attributes. Iron golem is a skill rarely enough used that, if you want to try it out, anything is fair game for this tournament. I don't think allowing you to make an IG out of a blue or set item unbalances the tourney in any way, as a melee necro will be challenging enough.

Code:
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull

I'm in, the Cave was a nightmare with archer boss packs, though Blood Raven was easy, she got trapped against a tombstone then got killed rather quickly, nothing else to say otherwise.

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Catacombs 2  18     2-hand/Beryl Jewel of Envy

Well, this certainly has been tough. My would-be avenger has had several NDEs, and has drunk the pots like nobody's business. Now that I have my main skill, I'm thinking about dropping players way down, because my mana can't sustain vengeance if I have to hit things 3 or 4 times.

I'm hoping my rotten luck so far--one charm and 3 useless rares--means that my Sword of Destiny will be amazing when it finally drops.

I'm probably going to enter another character as well, as I managed to interest myself in the necro concept with my comments to Svein.

Good start to the tournament, though. Can't wait to see who gets the first Sword of Destiny!

Out of curiosity, why no one handed swords? No shield would be allowed, but limiting us to two handers doesn't make sense to me. Of course it's your tournament, but I like seeing justifications for tournament rules. :D

Leona finally got the Str for a 2-handed sword (those workouts help) and at the same time found a 3-socket one at Charsi's shop, which she set with chippies: topaz, skull, and sapphire. Life became a lot easier after that, though she looks ridiculous swinging a sword that's taller than she is. The Underground Passage passed with no difficulties. In the corral thingy in the Dark Wood, her shocking lack of jewelry ended when a rare ring dropped. Her skull cap and gloves are also rares, and Gwinni has rare armor. Cain has been rescued, and now it's time to head into the Black Marsh and find the Tower.

Code:
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Catacombs 2  18     2-hand/Beryl Jewel of Envy
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Dark Woods   14     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Conan tackled his way through Act 1. A Biggins Bonnet dropped, no use for this tournament though. As soon as I had the required stats I equipped a socketed two-hander that lasted me the entire Act. Found a few rare pieces of armour and Andariel was nice enough to drop a rare ring and boots. Before I quit I shopped a 2 socket Claymore from Fara and stuck 2 chipped skulls in it. So far so good, no NDE's.

Code:
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Dark Woods   14     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

Well, that didn't take long. Walter found his deeds at a stair trap into Catacombs level 3. It was over fast, he suffered little. At the time of his passing he was using a socketed 2H with a jewel of envy and 2 chipped emeralds. He was ditching out a bunch of green damage, but his defense was weak. He was clothed all in grey or white except a yellow armor that actually did very little.

Fun idea for a tourney, I may enter again in a couple of days...

Code:
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
bcoe         Walter (RIP)    Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High