Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Re: Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

Got a question on keeping the table organized. Something i was already thinking might happen, now did with JayeM's update. That is that he is a higher lvl than Sixstringer, but when looking at area is behind him. So my question is are we gonna order the table by char lvl or area?
Personally i'd say area, because you're further towards completing the game and the target was to keep your lvl as low as possible, not as high as you can. But i don't know how the rest of you guys feel about that (nothing personal JayeM).

No offense taken. I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I've been going by level and taken the lowest spot if there are more than 1 at that level. But either way is fine with me.

I was also wondering why we were going for lowest level. It's good for me because I can't handle /p8 like a lot of you do, making my level lower than yours, but doesn't it penalize the people who are more skillful and can handle it?

And I'm a she, not that it matters. :)

A defining moment in the history of Diablo just occured. Or at least as far as this tourney goes. I found the first sword of destiny a couple of minutes ago. And i must say: i got screwed. While clearing the tomb on my way to Duriel a unique bastard sword dropped. So i'm stuck with *drumroll* [HIGHLIGHT]blacktongue[/HIGHLIGHT].
Only good things about it are lots of poison resist and prevent monster heal. Also swinging it at normal speed while normally i like fast attack speed as a minimum. But once i clear the tomb (and live) i might go back to normal to use the socketquest and put a shael in it. Can't upgrade it yet since then i would be a little strength short.
I already had the feeling i was just giving monsters a headache while my compagnions were killing them and i fear that might not change anymore now. Hopefully i'll get some runeluck and be able to do something about that later in the game.

And I'm a she, not that it matters. :)

I'd say there is a pretty big difference between the 2 :wink:

The lowest lvl is to encourage people to go through the game without rerunning areas. With lots of rerunning of the easier areas in the game you would get better gear and a higher lvl. That way it would be easier to beat Baal. So it's basically to make it harder.

Your point would be correct if this tourney was single pass only. In that case there would be no rerunning of areas. So then it would encourage full clears (also of the more dangerous areas) and at the highest possible p-setting. And being single pass you can't rerun anything for better gear or more lvl's.

Congrats and My Condolences. Hehe, this is one of those tourneys that someone has to get lucky that early gear doesn't drop. I was expecting Shadowfang to be the first though.

After a long search in his tomb i finally found Duriel. I think i almost completely cleared that tomb. Killing him was a piece of cake. His drop was actually pretty decent for a change. 2 uniques and a set item. The set ofc being isenharts case. But one of the uniques is a witchwild string so he actually dropped something usefull.
After that shaeled the sword. Doesn't really feel like an upgrade compared to my previous one. But i do get the feeling i'm killing slightly faster. Which i suspect has to do with the PMH. I also should have enough strength to upgrade but i'll have to double check that before i end up making a mistake.
Now i'm in the flayer jungle. Decoy and slow missile are really helpfull here.

@The LOD: i don't know why, but i too was expecting shadowfang.

Code:
Name         Character       Class      Area         Level  Current Sword
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyrax        BigSword        Amazon     N FlayerJung 59     Blacktongue (shael)
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 30     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Sorceress  Kurast       25     2-H/Tal/Tal/Tal
JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Arcane Sanc. 24     Rare claymore
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Kurast       23     Claymore/Amethyst/El        
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Carolus Rex  Conan           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     Claymore/2 ch skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
sveinbjorn   Miyumi          Assassin   Jail Lvl 1   17     2-H/2 ch emrld
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin    Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Dark Wood    12     2-H/3os
DemonOfWrath Sardinath       Barbarian  Stony Field  12     2-H/ch saph/skull
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorcerous  Stony Field  11     2-H/superior sword
Brutass      HugeWilly       Barbarian  Cold Plains  8      2-H/normal sword
NacRuno      Vega            Necro      Rogue Camp   1      Starting Wand

Fallen heroes

Hanshotfirst Hinamori        Assassin   N Catacomb4  46     Rare Giant Sword
Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
sveinbjorn   Fafhrd          Barbarian  Cathedral    19     2-Hand/2 ch emrld
bcoe         Walter          Paladin    Catacombs 3  17     2-H/JofEnvy
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Balck Marsh  17     2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

I had no idea the goal was to be the lowest possible level! But really, I'm just doing it for fun, not to worry about winning. I only do single pass... ever. I'm also playing /p8 whenever possible. That was fun when my sorceress was punching those high-hit point zombies in the first area! :)

I should be playing again today and see how far I get. I've never been in a tournament that so many were playing so fast! The other two I entered were quite so slow. Fun stuff. :)

Edit: I see the lowest level guardian in the rules, I just assumed I wont' make guardian. ^_^

@Rhia: That's the way I feel about it too. I like the playing and the company of tournaments, but I'm not a very competitive person.

Well, Judith had some fun with the Countess, then hacked and/or slashed her way through the Black Marsh and Tamoe Highland (skipping the Hole and the Pit) to the O.C. Good times.

After finishing off the Countess (who dropped Eth and Tir), she decided to clear the rest of the tower, and came upon a CE Dark Archer boss pack, which tore her up. So she stuck a couple of chipped rubies and a chipped sapphire into her two-hander, pounded some potions, and prevailed. It was close, though.

Another close one came vs. Devilkin/Shamen/Skellie Archers and Horror Mage Boss packs. Yes, at least one boss of each type, plus some champion Brutes thrown in for good measure. Jeez. Barely made it out alive, but managed to prevail yet again.

Thing is, she has Cobra Strike and should have never found herself in any danger of any sort. But I forgot all about CS, so she never used it. :hammerhead: Oh well.

Code:
Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 30     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))
Sixstringer  Desdemona       Sorceress  Kurast       23     Claymore/Amethyst/El        
Thaquitz     Thrain          Barbarian  P. Cellar 1  22     2-H/Jwl of Envy/flwd emrld/flwd skull
Buraz        Macho           Barbarian  Lut Gholein  20     2-H/2xch saphire/1 ch topaz
Kimppi       ChosenOne       Barbarian  Lut Gholein  19     2-H/2xch skull,1xch ruby
jamesixgun   Judith          Assassin   Otr Clstr    16     2-H/ch 2x ruby/saph
ShadedOne    Deuxmains       Paladin    Black Marsh  16     2-H/ch saph/ch skullx2

Fallen heroes

Sixstringer  Stormblade      Paladin    Chaos Sanc.  30     Claymore/Ral rune, jewel of envy
JayeM        Howell          Druid      Canyon/Magi  25     2-H/ruby/skull/J.ofEnvy
sveinbjorn   Elric           Necro      Tal's Tomb   24     2-H/2 ch emrld/skull
TLOD         Norris          Barbarian  Balck Marsh  17     2-H/ch topaz.ch skull
JayeM        Leona           Sorceress  Monastery    16     2-H/Ch Skull/topaz/sapph

[Highlight]Judith the TSer and Liene the Cold Rogue, level 16 (14), the Outer Cloister. Up next: the Barracks and Jail.[/highlight]

My journey ends...---> http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac155/nitsuj296/dead.jpg <-- I almost killed Diablo but my reaction was to slow when he had let out 2 of his thunder attacks in a row.. Good luck to the rest of you and gratz on finding your sword of destiny cyrax, I have failed :(..... I might try later with a different character

Stats before Dead:
lvl: 33
Str:75
dex:60
Vit:100
Rest: basic
Skills:
Sword mastery: 20
Iron skin: 12
Natural Resistance: 3
Sword: GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))

Just thought i would show my build and stuff just incase others wanted to see it, or it might help someone :D

Code:

Fallen heroes

Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 33     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))

I think i did this right?? :D

Sorry about the deeds, Justin. But you did very well, and I take it this is your first tournament.

@james: Ok Cool Ty next time i will :D

@Jay: Heh Yeah it was my first, i enjoyed it alot, and ty, i think i might have another go at it...maybe with a amazon, just to mix things up a bit :D My only problem with it though is i dont feel like running through act 3 again...lol

Kind of busy in the next few weeks (finals, PvP Week, MFO), but there should still be some time to squeeze in for this. I will be entering Gintoki, the Meleemancer.

With wand in hand, Gin flew out of camp with his usual fervor. The odd job in this case? Purge a nearby cave of its demons and undying. Masterfully turning one of their own against them, Gin had little to do but curse at his enemy while his newly acquired skeleton friend mindlessly trod along. Once his "work" was finally done, and he had disposed of his little helper accordingly, he returned to the camp, as victorious as ever, and received his reward, despite hardly contributing. After quickly downing a large parfait, and stopping by the smith to pick up his order, a customized two handed sword, Gin quickly received another similar request. The work of odd jobs Gin is never done, and he soon thereafter set off again, if not for glory, then at least for the sake of accommodating his financial burden, the cost of his sweet tooth.

You can rest assured that I will never write something like that again, at least for this character. :p. He swapped between /players 1 and 8 a lot, partly to avoid tedium, partly to acquire the appropriate gems for his sword before actually having to use it. The skeleton from the starting wand and a point in Amplify Damage made for very smooth sailing. Doubt he will run into anything he can't kill and/or Clay Golem + Iron Maiden to death, so things should be fine up until Nightmare, when his resistances might be tested.

Sword: Superior (12% ED, 3 AR) Two Handed Sword with Chipped Sapphire, Chipped Ruby, and Chipped Emerald.

[highlight]Gintoki the Meleemancer, and Oriana the Fire Rogue. Level 10, Stony Field.[/highlight]

Code:
Justin       Secound-try     amazon     Stony Field  11     2-h/sword

Fallen heroes

Justin       tourny-one      Barbarian  PandFortress 33     GiantSword (ith, sapp, jewel (5max dam, 17 ar))

Ok ive decided to have another go at this tournament, this time with an amazon, Secound_try, just cleared den and killed blood raven on player 8 with no problems, now im off to go and save Cain, i plain on keeping it on player 8, even on bosses for the challenge and to keep me awake :D I think the only reason i failed with my barbarian was because i was fighting Diablo on player 8...lol

Last edited:

For restricted skills on the assisan side. Can a assasin use kick because you didnt put in their or did u foreget? Oh also the skill physic hammer.

Groo died at the multiple hands of a large mob of unravellers, ghoul lords and burning dead...and lack of attention to the life globe on my part. So who was going to be my first attempt at a WW barb is dead before he got WW. :( I may reincarnate him in SC on my own.

Now I'm going to start a paladin named Garvin...wish him luck, he'll be my last entry in this tourney. I think...

Code:
Justin       Secound-chance  amazon     Stony Field  11     2-h/sword
JayeM        Garvin          Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Start. tiny sword

Fallen heroes

JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Triangle tomb26     Rare claymore

Now I'm going to start a paladin named Garvin...wish him luck, he'll be my last entry in this tourney. I think...
Good luck :thumbup: lol

Im now about to kill andy on player 8 so far no NDEs and i seem to be doing well, will update the chart thingy after andy :D

HugeWilly is no more (deceased at lvl 18) - He died at the hands of Andy. I was tired and wasn't really paying enough attention. It was quick and I don't think he felt much pain

R.I.P Groo and company! And also Baam-Baam who died in the Pits to a double pack of archers (Foul Widow the Howler and Bane Wight.) Those archers were tough on my little sorceress. She was so close to getting Enchant... :(

Code:
Justin       Secound-chance  amazon     Stony Field  11     2-h/sword
JayeM        Garvin          Paladin    Rogue Camp   1      Start. tiny sword

Fallen heroes

JayeM        Groo            Barbarian  Triangle tomb26     Rare claymore
Rhia         Baam-Baam       Sorceress  The Pits     17     2/H/ch topaz,ch rub,ch emerald

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High