The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, The Saviours of Sanctuary Rise Anew

@Pax1990 Come on, you've come too far to stop now :) fame to be had for the first D2R 99er around here! It's not like Baal/Diablo are bad targets. Before people realized Nihlathak was better, many players ran one of those and went all the way to 99.

Yea I know it would suck to give up. And I also know I get emotional and tilted really fast. Mabey I will try running diablo and nihla combined. I will try and count the exp per hour tonight. Or has there been any news on a new run counter? Google didnt give me anything.

edit: I forgot to mention that shrine symbols are also very hard to see. Iam forced to stop at the shrine to see if its a exp shrine or not.

Last edited:
@Vildecor nice almost done with enigma. Pretty sure you will get a ber rune next to make up for that dry spell =)

Iam slowly getting used to running nihla in d2r. The 10 sec loading time each new game is still annoying but it as much as before. Iam watching something on the 2nd monitor that takes my mind off the loading time. Still wish i could cut it in half to 5 sec. Idk what hardware upgrade would grant me this tho. And not sure if Iam willing to spend the money for 5 seconds.
My game is still crashing from time to time. I hope they fix this soon.
I did a one hour test session to see how much exp Iam getting now.
I had 2 crashes in the beginning and I made 2.392.505 exp in this hour. I think a good amount in D2L wass 2.8? Iam not sure. So factoring in the +9% from anni its a 400k loss. Which is alright imo. Without the 2 crashes I might have gotten to 2.5 mabey.

Iam not sure if I want to go through the trouble and farm a torch... I kinda want one but farming repecs, keys and then potentially dying at uber trist seems kinda risky and means a lot of time lost grinding exp.

Oh and I just found my 3rd Soj with this character xD

Last edited:
Fiona reached NM Pindle as her next milestone and is currently at level 67. My goal is to get her to 72+ and then hit NM Mephisto for some basics (Ravenfrost, Titans, Duriels, Razortail, Merc-Helm, War Traveller, SoJ if I am lucky).

Her NM journey was quite uneventful, no death, but a few close calls. Hone of Sudan dropped in Act3, which was nice for my merc. No Sol or Amn so far, Shael at hellforge. :(

For NM Mephisto I am going for a 4 Topaz Armor and a 3 Topaz Helm. What's the best shopping target for that? Larzuk? D2R loading times will hurt the shopping trip though. :(

Very motivating to read any high level updates. Keep them coming! :)

@Irenicus nice going my friend!

Just for you a small high level update xD

Screenshot004.png

Anger finally hit 50% to 99 WUHU ^^

Not much else has happend tho.... Cant wait to be finally done.
Iam upgrading my RAM to 16GB. I hope this will improve my loading times a bit.
From time to time Iam doing some CS runs on my pala. I forwarded him to D2R as well. Nothing serious tho. He is still level 94. Iam also doing some key runs to prepare for his future torch. I definitly want one on my paladin as it will boosst him quite a bit. I wont be farming for a torch on my barb tho. Not worth the time investment. Runs wont be much quicker with +3 skills. I rather spend the time grinding exp. Mabey I farm a barb torch after I hit 99 to complete this character.

Keep the updates coming lovely people!

After 81 hours and 7168 runs, I am done with LK.

Screenshot098.jpg
Sur #2 on run 3402 (230 runs after finding the first Sur I posted last week)
Screenshot171.jpg
Sur #3 on my last run

I also ended up finding 3 Harpoonist GCs as well as a RJoF (29 FR).

Cubing all my Gul+ runes gave me a 4th Sur rune, and I finally made my Enigma armor!

Screenshot172.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was able to make both Enigma and Infinity in nearly the same amount of runs on Trina, my previous Java 99er attempt, so I was definitely in a sour mood for the last 30-40 hours of these LK runs. I had already decided to only go for Enigma and respec to Fishyzon to deal with LIs rather than continue farming LK. I imagine between now and 99 I might find what I need to make Infinity and will swap back to pure lightning. Even after cubing, I still had an Ohm left over to make CtA in a bow for the new build:

Screenshot173.jpg

An even better BO roll than the +5 I already had on switch! The next item I really need is a 4os Monarch for Spirit to help get a slightly less dreadful casting speed for teleporting. I plan on rolling a good Mephisto map and run him as well as Pindle for both XP and more key gear pieces, while also occasionally dropping down to the pits in search of a Monarch.

I'll also probably go ahead and finish questing at some point soon so that I can at least say I've finally managed to get a Guardian in case I get her killed early.

Edit: forgot I had another Harpoonist GC in a second stash I was using for gear swapping during those Pindle runs, so I have a total of 3. Also, after respeccing, the first Mephisto map I got was a keeper with an immediate left turn to the stairs!

Last edited:
Villanelle is level 29 and just about to hit Trav. It has been slow as I ignored my starter Assassin guide and went pure LS from the start. I want to save my respecs for now. My mana pool is too small, I can currently only lay 4 LS with it. I’m wondering if I should drop the topaz armour for 3 sapphires temporarily, but I’m kind of enjoying the slow pace.

Question:
I’m a long way from this at the moment, but once Villanelle has made Infinity, can I use it on other characters temporarily? It will be made by her, just wondering if she needs to be completely stand alone. Because otherwise I may have to forward a Trav Barb.

Reactions: Pb_pal
Question:
I’m a long way from this at the moment, but once Villanelle has made Infinity, can I use it on other characters temporarily? It will be made by her, just wondering if she needs to be completely stand alone. Because otherwise I may have to forward a Trav Barb.

Yes, you can swap the Infinity to another character temporarily. I did this as well with one of my amazons as it was the only Infinity I had, and the consensus I got is that it was no issue since it doesn't affect that character at all.

Reactions: Kinkara and maxicek
@maxicek just in case you're saving respecs specifically to save ancients, Sin seems to better off running Baal for the late 90s grind anyway. So you'll be able to farm essences later on without losing out on XP. @PhineasB and @Nano brought Sins to 99 here so they'll better know how the ~95+ XP gain compared across various targets, but my understanding is that CS didn't work out that well and Baal is the way to go.

@ffs Actually the main reason is wanted to go through untwinked with a different build, as I played the build a few months ago as I wrote the guide. I just felt like going a bit old school for a while, without respecs.

I'm planning to run Baal to 98 as you suggest. CS is pretty horrible for a trapper I think. Although Infinity breaks the LIs, you have no -ELR to really hurt them afterwards.

My basic plan is:
Run LK for runes (Enigma, Infinity, Fortitude for the merc)
Meph for basic uniques if I need them
Pits to 95 ish.
Baal to 98
Nihilathak to 99 / or maybe even Baal.

Sounds simple. Bearing in mind 96 is the highest I have gone so far (Paladin - 95 on multiple others) stamina is my biggest worry.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. Running Pit till mid 90s worked well for others too IIRC, at least somewhat comparable to Baal.

Regarding immediate LK farming, are you planning to use GoMule or D2R in-game stash? Even D2R stash islikely not enough to stash all those juicy crafting materials, kindly provided by LK on top of runes and charms. Just something to keep in mind because you want to be clvl 93+ when crafting amulets. No problem when using GoMule of course, you can run LK at whatever level and just stash it all away for later use.
Bearing in mind 96 is the highest I have gone so far (Paladin - 95 on multiple others) stamina is my biggest worry.
Yeah but you'll be focusing on XP gain and you'll progress past that in no time... the point where things usually start to feel like a grind to me is level 97. Characters are mostly geared at this stage, runs become repetitive and less exciting.. especially when running Baal. :) That being said, lots of things can be done to keep things fresh, like testing different types of runs for XP gain comparisons, trying other setups, min-maxing the runs to make them a little faster etc...

Reactions: maxicek
That plan sounds quite close to what I did. I skipped Meph, but spent a considerable amount of time in Pits looking for an Infinity base.
My sequence was LK for Enigma/CTA/Hoto, Pits for Infinity base, then return to LK for Infinity runes. The reason for the Pit stop is the possibility of scoring HRs during the search for the base, and I was lucky enough to find a Ber rune and halve the LK running time for Infinity. Of course, if you have an Infinity base ready by the time you have an Enigma, then just continue running LK for the remaining runes.

I also played without extended stash which meant no hording of crafting materials. I ran P8 Pindle prior to LK so that I could craft +2 caster amulets while I ran LK. Like ffs mentioned, clvl 93+ would be ideal, but I think my patience ended at clvl 92 for Pindle. At clvl 92, only 90% of the amulets will have a chance at the +2 char skills when using gambled amulets, which was acceptable to me.

@Nano Good point on The Pit before returning to LK, I like that suggestion.
@ffs Forgot about crafting. If I can get an Arach I don't think I will necessarilty need to, but that is always an if. I will be using GoMule at some point, the shared stash tabs are too small for much.

@ Pax1990: Thank you! Just getting to 98 will be a very long journey for me. :) Great that you will continue!

Fiona reached level 72 at NM pindle and just started doing NM Mephisto runs. So far in 90 runs the "best" item was HoZ and for her own gear a Goldwrap which I already upgraded. The runs are going smoothly with 248 MF. Let's hope that some of the essentials drop soon to keep the motivation up. ;) My biggest fear is not finding a SoJ in the next couple of weeks and that my D2L Amazon with 3 SoJ (who has been retired) will haunt me forever...

@ Vildecor: Any thoughts on Fishyzone vs. Gunslinga? I played a couple of Fishies, but now want to try "the" alternative for the first time. Main reason being that with a stronger lightning-setup Mephisto and Pindle runs should take less time. Although thinking about it, Fishyzone should be safer for HC.

@ all: Do you think that Annis and Torches will impact any gear setup in a major way? I was just brainstorming that maybe CtA is less importan now... But that is probably a bit far stretched.

Happy running everyone! :)

Why would torch and anni make cta obsolete?
I dont think it affect the base gear you need for leveling. But if you want to get a torch you have to farm for specific items depending on the character to clear ubers. That, farming keys, respecs and then get lucky with the right torch drop does increase the gearing process by alot. And getting any is just rng dependend.

Why would torch and anni make cta obsolete?
I dont think it affect the base gear you need for leveling. But if you want to get a torch you have to farm for specific items depending on the character to clear ubers. That, farming keys, respecs and then get lucky with the right torch drop does increase the gearing process by alot. And getting any is just rng dependend.
Maybe my wording was a bit optimistic. I just thought that maybe for some builds the extra statpoints offer enough, so that you do not need CtA anymore. This of course also depends on the area you a running and the payoff you can get from not using a CtA switch. I had a SC Javazone in mind and thought that instead of CtA you could have a FCR switch (e.g. Wizardspike + Spirit). But this is probably just a bad idea.

However I might test it, if I get this far. ;)

I agree that actually farming for and doing Ubers would be quite time consuming, especially if you want to get the right torch. Let's see what the first experiences will be in this thread and for which character it makes sense (if any).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High