The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

@LiquidClear Great, welcome :). As Nanomist said, I wouldn't spend too much time on questing through Hell. Put it on /p1 and try to breeze through as fast as possible, to the boss or area you want to farm first. Pits might be a good place, or LK, Meph or Pindle. Good luck !!!

@Zenigma That's a really nice ring !!! There must have been something very wrong with Ormus.

Hello boys! I have been following this thread for quite awhile, and i have made the decision to hop along the train.

To introduce myself - i played Ladder for about 5 years, but like 3 years ago it got boring and i started playing SP instead. I have always been on this forum, reading posts, but i have not really gotten into joining stuff.

But, to cut my Lighting Sorc some slack, i'll join in here with a SC Barb - Henryk. As i am quite novice at this forum, i do not have the knowledge to add my character and all to the table - would someone mind helping me with that? Also if someone could just tell me a little more detailed about how i do it myself and such :3

Regards, TrU.

@TrU welcome!! I also only joined SPF after lurking on the forum for a long time.

For table:

Find the last post which updates the table.

Click, the "+Quote" button at the bottom right of the post.

Then, in the reply box, bottom left, you will see an "Insert Quotes..." button, click that to insert quote.

Then, delete everything except the cod block, which starts with "\[code\]" and ends with "[\/code\]".

Put you information within the code block, and you have to experiment some to align the table properly.

I hope it helps

Last edited:
@LiquidClear: As @NanoMist said, the main place for my high runes was LK. I also quested my trapper through areas as quickly as possible, with pretty lame gear until I hit Hell LK. I was able to make the key runewords (HoTo, Enigma, Infinity, Fortitude, CTA) after 1103 runes found in LK. I also got very lucky with major assists from a Jah and Sur in Pits, and a Lo from a random monster on a Countess run. And I mixed things up with Pits and Baal runs as I got bored with LK, which also helped improve the gear over time.

As for Mercy, I haven’t been online much the last three weeks, with busy times at work and some travel and moving apartments mixed in for good measure. We were also without internet for a couple weeks, but I was able to play some. I’ll do a full update later this weekend (hopefully after more playing time), but Mercy is at level 95, and a second character (Hiatus, currently a blizz sorc) is at level 84.

Congrats to everyone on the great progress and welcome to the new participants in this challenge!

Ahh more barbs joining the fun, that's what I like to see! Good luck everyone!
Perkele is doing well, so well in fact that I decided to use a more fitting avatar! He has filled about 25% of the exp bar right now (expecting sudden death after writing this), it's more than 3k Nihlathak kills! A couple of random thoughts on the journey:
- Exp gain is around 3m per hour, ~25 seconds per run, that means I still have to spend ~75 hours on this to reach 99 (without dying of course).
- Apart from that accident early on when I was still testing stuff, I've had no deaths so far, yay! Only a single NDE due to wrong teleporting, but luckily my reflexes were good enough. :)
- After 1k or so runs I started to use the everlasting ammy and this time I really felt the difference in terms of damage reduction, the runs are more comfortable and I can even tank one or two poison clouds with ease -- but they are still dangerus nonethelss.
- Speaking of vipers, now I'm somewhat better at spotting dangerous situations, it really depends on a few variables: where the vipers spawn, how many of them are around, and how fast confuse triggers. Nihla's mods also play an important role, and any combination of cursed / fana / might along with a pack of vipers firing from the same area means instant s&e: if you accidentally step where all the poison trails overlap you're gonna end up dead in a heartbeat. Holding Shift while attacking is essential when the screen is crowded with snakes, since it prevents your char from walking into clouds when Nihla teles around.
- Merc is still with me (I really need decrep), and so is the bug I've mentioned earlier, but by the moment he dies my life stops plummeting and I'm safe again. Sometimes I manage to tank his death leeching back from Nihla.
- On Exp shrines: I rolled a map with two shrines on the lowest dungeon level and it was working well, but today I misclicked and lost it :( having shrines in the halls of Vaught helps a lot: as helvete explained in another thread, witches stop cursing you if your merc is cursed already, so the idea is to go downstairs, let them curse the merc, then pick up the shrine. I've estimated that ~15-20 kills per hour can be done with the exp shrine effect, that's roughly 5-8% extra exp gained :rolleyes:.
- Leap is a nice skill to use as left click attack on tele switch: when I see my barb jumping like a frog instead of hitting Nihla I know I didn't press the W key well, as a side effect the skill can set Nihla apart from his minions, so in the end it helps to namelock the guy.
- The skeleton glitch is fun!
- Nihla's drops: I've found 2 Dragonscales (1 eth), a bunch of pretty stones, and crap crap crap. I'll post some screens later maybe.

That's it for now, happy hunting people!

Last edited:
Let's hope i get this thing right then! I thought alot about what kind of barb Henryk should be, but i think he will be a Concentration Barb, but tempted to make him a WW-barb later on. I went through A1 and stayed at Andariel for awhile and got myself some decent starting-gear, Nagelring, a few set items and Crushflange Mace.

Cruising through A2 now, and i'll probably update later on tonigt as i intend to keep playing! :>

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      98             No            -          -            -           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       97             No         1458        391            2         175
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      97             No         1194        354            5           -
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      96             Yes         781        301           11          89
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       94             Yes           -        273            9           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      90             No            -          -            -           -
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      76             Yes          78          -            0           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     69             No           49         44           12         20
Kitteh       Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  45             No            -          -            -           -
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      28             No            -          -            -           -
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc   20             No            -          -            -           -
TrU         Henryk       SC     Barb   19           Yes           -         -
[/QUOTE]

Also, as you can see i fucked it up a bit and the things i put in isn't really like all the others. How do i do that right? ;_;

Tried to fix it, but i just made it a mess. Hopefully someone can solve it and perhaps update it with my thingies in it ._.

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      98             No            -          -            -           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       97             No         1458        391            2         175
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      97             No         1194        354            5           -
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      96             Yes         781        301           11          89
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       94             Yes           -        273            9           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      90             No            -          -            -           -
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      76             Yes          78          -            0           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     73             No           59         52           12          22
Kitteh       Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  45             No            -          -            -           -
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      28             No            -          -            -           -
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      19             Yes           -          -

Fixed it :p

I got an insanely good tower roll (next to the waypoint, 3/4 of the first four levels have the exit immediately next to the entrance) and the countess dropped the key of terror. I don't... think I can handle that yet, so I'll be doing countess runs I guess.

Last edited:
Here is a more complete update on progress and formal introduction to the second character I created for this challenge.

My last update with Mercy was in early lvl 94 after finding the runes for Enigma. I still haven’t found a 4os Monarch or Flail, and have used 8 cube socketing recipes on white Flails with no luck. I focused on p8 Pits with some Baal runs mixed in, especially as Mercy neared lvl 95.

Finds along the way included a second Demonhorn’s Edge (with a Pul nearby), a Lo, and Windforce -- the first I have found. I also picked up a near perfect Ravenfrost.

I’ve done a few Baal runs today, but am going to focus on leveling the sorc, Hiatus, who is following the same conditions as Mercy: extended stash, not picking up all S/Us, and not tracking time. She gained a level since my brief update this morning and is currently lvl 85. She is at Pindle in Hell.

The Hellforge drops in NM and H were both Hels. :\ Best find so far was a Stone of Jordan from Hell Andy in the early 70s when leveling at Andy + Ancient Tunnels. She mostly ran Pindle from 76 to 85, with the best find a Ko rune. I mixed in a couple Meph runs and LK runs looking for a good map. She picked up a Gul at LK, which is the highest rune found so far, but not much else of note.

Good luck to all the runners. @Lord Molybdenum beat me to cleaning up the table, so table update is below.

Code:
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       95             Yes           -        326            9           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      85             Yes           -        112            6           -
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     73             No           59         52           12          22
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      19             Yes           -          -

I've decided to join in as well.

Presenting [HIGHLIGHT]Durnik[/HIGHLIGHT], for those of you familiar with the Belgariad and Malloreon, Durnik is a blacksmith that uses a glowing hammer as a weapon, so fittingly, I'm making a Hammerdin.

(For now) I'm applying the following:
- Extended stash
- Tracking number of Sets and Uniques (or at least until I get bored of picking up Isenhart's)
- Tracking Grail
- Tracking Deaths (Most of my characters have never died anyway so I hope this is 0)
- Not tracking time spent

Code:
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       95             Yes           -        326            9           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      85             Yes           -        112            6           -
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      19             Yes           -          -            -           -  
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin    7             Yes           -          -            -           -

Now I need to go back and read this thread from the beginning...!

Durnik's Progress:

[HIGHLIGHT]Act 1 – Sendaria - The Beginning[/HIGHLIGHT]
Durnik is currently level 7 and at the Cold Plains waypoint. His gear is understandably poor but I got a good +2 Might sceptre in Den of Evil so he's doing OK.

Last edited:
Welcome to those who are new to this thread and congrats on all the xp gains and finds for those who are still going!

Not many runs done this week due to my wrist feeling uncomfortable and I don't want to damage it or anything. Generally this lack of comfort lasts about a week or so, so hopefully I'll feel comfortable going back to D2. If not, I may need to go get it checked out.

We still managed to get a couple of million xp. Currently Reina is running AT for a change of pace, especially since I'm currently thinking Diablo for the 98->99 path. We may still change to Nihlithak, but we've got a ways to go to finalize that decision and get a great map.

Kept going througout A2 and A3, and i just slayed Mephisto for the first of a few thousand times hopefully. No notable finds along the way, sadly, but i think i might be running Mephisto for a while to see if i can get some better gear (really looking for some high hitting weapon and some leech-equipments).

Getting kinda late here and i got work tomorrow, so i'll have to get to bed. I think i'll be back for alot more progress tomorrow, and hopefully i'll be in Hell by the time my session ends tomorrow. Besides work, i do not have that much social life, but hey, i got my D2-chars :3

(Hopefully i did not mess up the table again now when changeing some of the numbers :/ )

Code:
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      23             Yes           -          -           12           6
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin    7             Yes           -          -            -           -

Last edited:
As i have to go to work now, i'll have to be off for a few hours. I continued throughout A4 and slayed Diablo, and as usual for a Barb, i died a few times. I kept going and started farming Eldritch for awhile to get some levels, and i found a few decent items. I actually got the full "Berserker's" set, and even tho it is a low level set, it is working out quite nicely for my barb with the life and especially the Mana-leech, as it allows me to use Concentrate without having to pop any of those blue potions.

I'll be on later tonight for more, and hopefully i'll get through NM! Keep it up boys and gals <3

Code:
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      30             Yes          -          -                       8  
[/QUOTE]

Wow, welcome to all the newcomers!

Great progress and updates everyone else. @zticazzy you'll be done in no time, great speed!

--

Nothing much for Eleanor to report as she's on a bit of a break until the MFO. She did officially hit 97.5 though, and found a nice rock along her way:

pP7fSaK.jpg

She now has all the runes to make an Infinity. As you know, she previously decided (after testing with another sorc) that she wasn't going to make one. I might do some testing now though, as if it's even a little bit faster (and not too annoying with the pots), she might make the switch at least for the MFO.

Happy running everyone!

Code:
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      30             Yes           -          -                        8
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   16             Yes           -          -            -           -

Durnik's Progress:

[HIGHLIGHT]Act 1 Part 1 – Sendaria[/HIGHLIGHT]
When the monsters and demons descended upon Sendaria, Durnik knew that his life would change. He had always imagined that he would settle down, open his own smithy one day - perhaps on a farm, fixing tools and the like. He expected that he would marry a local girl, he'd heard that there was a very beautiful cook in the next village over. However, the monsters quickly overran the neighbouring village and Durnik decided that he would cleanse this wilderness.

Years of work in the fields and then as the blacksmith's apprentice had made Durnik's arms and chest strong. His master was growing weak in his old age and came to rely upon Durnik more and more as of late. Durnik had tested all the weapons and armour to make sure that they were the right weight and had the right balance. Of course his favourite tool was his smithing hammer, but he was adept at wielding swords, sceptres and maces too. Despite his age, Durnik had broad shoulders and a stocky chest so he could handle armours made for older folk.

When the trouble began, Durnik used his innate might to destroy the legions of hell until such a time as he defeated Blood Raven. A local Sendarian girl, Aliza, decided that she would join Durnik's quest as the monsters had murdered her family. Aliza used to be responsible for stoking the fires in the great hall, so she put that knowledge to good use. Her fire arrows devastated the enemy and Durnik was grateful for her help. After freeing a kindly old man from a cage, Durnik and Aliza smashed and burned the spawn of hell until they came upon an old tower. In it, Durnik came upon some strange stones with engravings upon them. He decided to linger here and search for more in case they were valuable.

(Tune in for more later....)

Last edited:
A quick update, so it seemed neither AT nor LK wanted to give me a white/4os monarch. All I got were either blue or one socket. Then I got 2 cracked Monarch and 1 damaged monarch.

Darn it! I cannot wait and I don't care, so I give it to Larzuk, and indeed, damaged monarch also got 4os from Larzuk (but from cube though).

Interesting thing that I did not notice before is that once you put RW in, the "Damaged Monarch" simply became "Monarch" (note the durability ... oh well, I don't care and I need a Spirit Monarch:p)

View attachment 3453

Code:
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      30             Yes           -          -                        8
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   18             Yes           2          2            -           -

Durnik's Progress:
[HIGHLIGHT]Act 1 Part 2 – Sendaria[/HIGHLIGHT]
Something strange was going on...Durnik began to notice that as his experience grew, so did his strength, but more than that, he began to sense an inner power. Now don't get the wrong idea, Durnik was no fool. He didn't believe in all this mumbo jumbo, hocus pocus fakery. Why, just last year a charlatain had visited his village purporting to be a magician, pah! He'd sooner trick you out of your coinpurse than perform any actual magic. However, Durnik was honest enough with himself to to admit that there were defnitely unnatural forces at work.

If you had asked him last year, he would have told you that he didn't believe in magic, religion or the gods, but since he had begun fighting the demon horde, he had witnessed that magic was certainly real indeed. Demons were hurling fireballs and bolts of lightning so it was plain to see that magic had entered his world. Despite this, he hadn't expected that he himself could be capable of magic. But lately, it seemed all he had to do was to will something strongly enough and it would happen. The other day, he was teaching Aliza how to aim so that she could track a moving target. By intensely focussing his attention on aiming, it seemed to give Aliza a boost too, for she became remarkably adept at aiming by simply being in his presence.

In order to test his theory, he set about aiming to make every hit a fatal one. In time, Aliza started to aim and kill with alarming accuracy. It was though she had an inner sight that ensured her arrows met their mark! Perhaps the demons brought magic with them and it was this that awakened within both Durnik and Aliza?

When questioned, Old Man Cain provided a cryptic answer:
View attachment 7553
editAppPage.jsp

It wasn't until Durnik smote the demon known as 'The Smith', in the presence of the Horadric Malus, that he got his answer:
View attachment 7554

It pained him that a fellow blacksmith had fallen into darkness, but he knew he must free his spirit, so he cut down his foe. The minute that Durnik touched the Malus, a strange peace and confidence enveloped him. Old Man Cain's words echoed as if from the vault of heaven.

Then, a powerful but gentle voice spake unto him:
"Be at peace child, I am thy God Aldur. I have chosen thee to take up thy hammer and defeat the demons and their dark forces. Fear not, for I have blessed thy hammer and it shall do wonders. Know that I am with thee, always..."

Durnik's path illuminated before him, he would take up his hammer and through it bring peace to the land once more. Durnik always had that unwavering concentration that comes with years of working with hot dangerous metal. Even in the midst of a busy workshop, he could keep a watchful eye over several different things whilst still performing excellent work. He would spend 14 hours a day hammering away and he knew that his vigor would serve him well in the battles to come. He decided to focus on these talents and for the first time, prayed that he had made the right decision.
View attachment 7555

Last edited:
Yesterday after work, i was very tired and therefor i did not do much progress. Today, on the other hand, i have been doing quite alot of progress. For starters, i cleared A5 normal, and i am now in A2 NM. Henryk is also level 41. I ran Eldritch and Pindle in Normal a bit to get some levels for NM, as Barbs aren't really known to just "cruise" through the game like many other classes. Seriously, check out my death-count, i mean cmon, i must be so bad haha.

I intent to keep playing for a good 6-8 hours today, so hopefully i'll end up in Hell, or at least in A5 NM where i can do some hardcore leveling. Might take a stop and Mephisto and run Meph, Andy and Countess a bit to get some better gear, haven't decided yet.

I'll do small updates, peace <3

Code:
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   18             Yes           2          2            -           -

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High