The PvP Thread

Thx for hosting Froz. 70 ping for me - brilliant. Love playing with you, I'm glad it happened again.

Gripp my bud, always a pleasure.

Mir made a K with a barb, what a sight! You tore me a new one with your pal and I enjoyed every second of it.

Ffs very good. Nice to see someone new after the years. And thank you for your offer, Gripp already sent me the items.

GG's and WP!

Reactions: ffs and Miron
Good games overall. We'll try to keep this up on roughly weekly to bi-weekly schedule. I'm not sure we'll have games next week as Chrismas is around and all that goes with that. That being said I can leave host up if some of you guys decide to have a go at it but I won't be playing.
Tnx everyone for joining and for fun evening.

Reactions: ffs
Thanks all, great fun yet again! Starting to feel Pally & Necro, but Sorc and Trapper not so much. ;)

Ping was 250-350 for me. Ofc that’s the reason for all of my deaths. Once I’m back in Europe I can also look into hosting on my end, until then I think it’s in everyone’s interest for someone else to host.

Being trapped in South Africa I can easily squeeze in some time on Christmas holidays too :) if anyone else has time.

Also an idea — would it make sense to set up a Discord channel or so? Just thinking in addition to regular sessions, people could go for some quick action on short notice (without spamming this thread).

I might recreate discord account if others want such group.

@ffs
I think you need to simply hit Anya shopping for some claws. If you use weapon/shield, then 174 fcr is an option to go for, but then your damage reduction will be terrible. Claw/Claw is simply superior even if claws are nearly plain, although claws are what makes good trapper a good trapper.

@Nazdakka Just give it a try. Post what characters your are thinking of using here and we can give you a few suggestions if you want.
Aaaaaaaaaaah.

Ok, so still on 1.14d I have a Fire Claws Bear (from this tournament), a Lightfury Javazon (respecced from a PvP glass cannon Bowazon from this tournament), a high level Assassin who seems to be based on fire traps and shadow skills, and a Frenzy Barb (plus an MF sorc whose map I don't want to lose).

I have quite a lot of kit still on the the old version and could in principle make some quite high level runewords, but none of these characters are exactly... optimised. The best is probably the bowazon... but I'd need to hunt up a token to remake her!

Im enjoying the reads guys. Enuff to maybe enter at some stage. Will NM be the battleground? And Does this mean the char cannot have entered Hell?

NM seems to be a bit favored from what I gathered. I managed to have second charatcer that was dropping super mana pots for when it was needed, but I personally didn't find it all that needed even on very mana intense characters like trapper.

I can do discord thingie, sure. I use it regularly, but it would be best ot have concensus on this one.

@Nazdakka Some nice results back in the day :D Out of those characters you have atm I think some kind off fire trapper variant might be best. I personally much prefer lightning trapper due to range, but grip has fire one built and it's amazing. There's a video of her in post 127 so he might give you pointers on how and why. Amazons in general struggle quite hard because of their imobility and everyone having access to Enigma. You just can't ignore bowa spamming arrorws at you and you just need to focus her. As results a lot of bowazons are waiting at blood moor entrance for respawn. They are amazing in teams however.

Im enjoying the reads guys. Enuff to maybe enter at some stage. Will NM be the battleground? And Does this mean the char cannot have entered Hell?
You're always welcome to tag along :)

NM will probably be the norm these days, mostly because -100 resist on hell is really hard to negate, especially for people without optimal characters and high end charms. Ofc your characters can (and should) enter Hell, we even had some some lvl 99 charcters around.

We can vote on Nightmare vs Hell difficulty, but then no undecided votes, we pick either NM or Hell. If we have vast majority for Nightmare, we can then move to it. As for mana issues, only character with a problem is barb, his mana potions restore only 150 mana. As for necro, playstyle can be a bit less spamming spirits than on hell and he should do just fine with 300 mana per potion.

Problem with bowazon in ffa is she has way too many hard counters while she doesn't really counter anything. She either has slightly favorable odds of winning or no chance of winning, assuming similar playing skill and gear.

Problem with any barb is he is simply too weak and skill intensive to be able to kill consistently. Bowazon can spam arrows and kill something, barb can't just randomly whirl to kill, he has to actually namelock stomp to kill. Even then vitality casters usually require several stomps and against block you can only pray. He is meant to be played patiently and slowly, not like a barbarian. Either that or be the first to die out there. BUT, if played patiently and slowly, then he is dangerous. Not too easy to kill for high HP and requires one mistake to take 75% of your life in whirling.

Fire trapper is strong, although not close to LS variant in damage output nor range. LS trapper can use only LS as a trap while fire trapper has to use LS for some stun on range because WoF DOESN'T go through the pond and can't damage nor stun reliably. You have to play aggressively and stomp more to kill and can't rely on your traps alone to kill like LS variant can.

I will play PvP on any difficulty, but I would prefer to play at Hell. Here are a few thoughts why.

Mana potions - I definitely felt the difference with a bowazon. It wasn't as easy to spam MS. I get the general idea now, it's not good.

Resistances - the difference between Hell and NM is 12 tiles of all res charms. That won't make or break anybody. Also a minor thing, poison chars are better at Hell.

Sentiment - Hell is the best this game has to offer. There's a sense of achievement and pride, playing at the highest-most difficult level. With the knowledge that there's nothing more.

At last, I think we are at a point where we should be striving for some kind of unity when considering any changes. Not making it a matter of a simple vote. You have an idea, better get everyone on board. If a player like Max disagrees, convince him. To bypass Max via vote would be improper in my eyes. After all these years he has kept us alive. Playing at NM wasn't a bad idea at all, I just don't think it's there.

Reactions: Miron
I personally think NM would be better for average player so I'd vote NM. I do understand pros and cons, but this is where my vote would go.
All my characters are Hell ready, and I didn't do any changes towards NM so it won't affect me in the slightest but I do believe it would be beneficial overall. I think barrier to entry is already very high and covering 60 additional resists isn't easy. It would be ideal to have access to both battle.net charms and for Anya bug to be fixed for SP, but we don't live in ideal world.

Ultimately I don't intend to split pvp or something like that, I'll roll where majority of us want to go. But I'm curious where we actually want to go.

Also an idea — would it make sense to set up a Discord channel or so? Just thinking in addition to regular sessions, people could go for some quick action on short notice (without spamming this thread).
I'm all for spamming this thread - Keeping it on the front page shows activity, which will hopefully drive interest.

@maxicek fair enough, my idea was just to be able to go for some quick 1v1 action or so, given that you don't get push notifications etc. from these forums. :) But sticking to the thread exclusively is fine by me as well of course.

@Gripphon yeah I should shop some claws, although that is such a dreadful experience. I think for Sin I'll try to make a Ghost first. For Venom focus I should have decent gear.

But first need to farm several Bers... 2x for CoA, I guess could use extra ones for Shako and Stormshield as well.. in other words, all D2 time atm is spent in LK. ;) Hoping to get 2 before the next PvP session.

As for difficulty, generally I'm 100% fine with both so whatever the majority wants I'm fine with.

Since there are 3 players saying they prefer hell (Excalibur, Max, Delsy), Mir saying Hell is just fine hinting it is a preferred option, I'd vote Hell stays.

@ffs
Gogogo. Imagine how strong your necro and pala will be! Unkillable.

@Nazdakka Some nice results back in the day :D Out of those characters you have atm I think some kind off fire trapper variant might be best. I personally much prefer lightning trapper due to range, but grip has fire one built and it's amazing. There's a video of her in post 127 so he might give you pointers on how and why. Amazons in general struggle quite hard because of their imobility and everyone having access to Enigma. You just can't ignore bowa spamming arrorws at you and you just need to focus her. As results a lot of bowazons are waiting at blood moor entrance for respawn. They are amazing in teams however.

Yeah, the Bowazon was built for 1v1 games using what I think is RS2 and had 0 Vita and no effort put into resists. The idea was to use max allowed FRW and 10% slow as my defence and pour everything else into offence, so in exchange for being made of tissue paper she had excellent physical DPS (7-frame bowshots without Faith) and a ton of poison damage in case I needed to hit and run. It was very much a 1v1 plan, and probably won't work in an environment that contains Teleport.

The Assassin sounds like she could be the way to go although whichever character I build will require a full respec.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High