The PvP Thread

Thanks for the games everyone. Have fun tomorrow - By then we will have played more PvP games in 2 weeks than the last five years :)

Thanks for hosting froz.

Welcome to PvP ffs! You could have show us some mercy at least. So rude.

Nice games, guys. What do you think of dueling on nightmare difficulty?

Reactions: ffs
4h of quality time. Tnx guys for games. I will say that I'm tired of wind druid.
But yeah. It seemed host wasn't horrible. Also it seemed NM was fine, at least for me. I could live with 530 mana wind druid.

At any rate, same time same place tomorrow. Will see if I can fix host for Sunday as well, but that seems kinda unlikely at this point.

Reactions: ffs and maxicek
@maxicek @ffs
Since you guys asked about examples of really high skill pvp videos. I'll try to select some of the classes that were present today to snow how roughly matchup works. Bear in mind that majority of the tech we really can't do, at least not even remotely consistently.

Hammerdin vs Necro

More important than smite foh combo (which is insanely hard to pull out properly) is the way the hammerdin approaches necro to avoid majority of the damage and the fact that necro isn't just spamming spirits but instead tries to use teeth to kill oak, and spear to punish hammerdin that teleports on you. You can walk a lot vs hammerdin as a necro. If hammerdin teleports on you while you are walking, hammer won't ever hit you. Smite/Charge can punish walking, but rarely SPF can't really use that combo.

Hammer vs Windy

Just the method of stacking hammers in which one hammer clears minions and others will kill druid in second. Using smite to kill is extremely hard and atm probably not doable.

Necro vs Windy

Same method of walking from druid and spearing when he approaches like vs hammerdin. Use teeth to clear minions and when druid is on retreat pressure him. As necro you will always have 1-2 casting frames advantage so use it.

Trapper vs Necro

Cool thing is you can see both players playing and can puck apart any strategies from either sides.

Barb vs Necro

65 fcr barb. This is what Grip would like to do to you but can't. If you are necro you just run and cry vs this :D

Windy vs Trapper

WSG for the win. This is probably the most normal video of the bunch.

Don't get overly depressed when you see this, I sure know I did >_>

Last edited:
Reactions: ffs
Just one comment on hammer vs windy. While such hammer stacking as presented on the video is efficient, it is also basically hiding in a hammerfield waiting for windy to come. And if he doesn't? Alternative is to do chaotic spamming around windy not necessarily waiting for him to come, instead fishing for an opportunity to attack. Hammer - tele - 2 hammers - tele. Stay close to your hammers and once his Oak is down, attack. Have CBF and walk south in case windy decides to stomp you, you also have vigor aura. Same thing necro is doing against windy. I even didn't do this today, just chaotic hammer spam which makes it hard to avoid all the damage.

Many spellcasters can do the same thing against windy - using Ravenfrost and walking south avoiding damage upon stomping. I even did it with sorc using medium armor which slows her down. Didn't work perfectly all the time, but should work well for a character using Enigma.

In the Windy vs Trapper vid, druid is recasting CA. I've asked this question a few times. How is windy supposed to win against trapper and a good sorc without recasting CA?

It's ridiculous.

Simply make CA count as an absorb and it's 100% GM to recast it.

I'm 100% recasting it vs trapper. Vs something like foh paladin nah, but vs trapper? Absolutely.

Thanks for the games, everyone, was lots of fun. So pvp games will be on NM from now? I need to reequip my chars and want to be 100% sure before I do it.

Thanks everyone, lots of fun indeed! Kinda want to try more characters now... but probably should first try and git gud with the ones I have. ;)

I'll try to be back today, but might have to fight some peer pressure to do RL stuff...

Reactions: Gripphon
Windy is so strong I'm surprised he is allowed to use CtA... froz was destroying us 4 hours straight. I dreamed a huge tornado crushing down on me like like a bulldozer, except it wasn't a bulldozer, it was... froz. Which is basically the same thing. When he plays windy. Oh nightmares...

That being said, just recast Cyclone armor. I didn't even know it is banned. We should revisit the rules, some are ridiculous.

Everyone, so PvP on nightmare from now on or what are your thoughts on that?

Considering we are all good mannered players and we play for fun, I think we could perhaps use simple rules like this. Let me know what do you think. Simplicity with important points.

General PvP rules
1. Mana potions are allowed for all classes (except for the ES sorceress).
2. It is allowed to drop potions in front of blood moor entrance. Same applies to arrows.
3. No merc

Skills
4. Banned skills are: Slow Missiles, Holy Freeze, Meditation, Prayer, Cleansing, Iron Maiden, Decrepify, Bone Prison, Life Tap and Clay Golem. Those skills are banned in any form or shape, regardless of their source. (Doom, Exile, Lawbringer etc)
5. Items containing banned skills charges aren't banned but using those charges is. (Marrowwalks, Sanctuary etc)
6. Cold Mastery is capped at one point only for Blizzard sorceress class. - questionable if we duel on Nightmare

Absorb

7. Maximum resists are capped at 85 without any absorb.
8. 75 resists + 20% absorb is allowed, 80 resists + 12% sorb is allowed.
9. Banned items: 1.07 LoH, Rising Sun, Blackoak Shield, Hotspurs, Thundergods Vigor.

Prebuff
10. You could ask other players if it is okay to prebuff, but generally no one does that except specific builds

Last edited:
I'm not sure about NM duelling, mainly due to the Greater Mana pots. It was OK, but I don't really see any compelling reason to duel there instead of Hell - Lets say both have advantages and disadvantages, with no clear winner.

Mainly I dropped a few resist charms I had 1.5K Mana on my bone necro, but that doesn't help much when you need to chug twice as many pots to refil it. I didn't actually know mana pots refil different amounts depending on the class.

@Gripphon What level WoF does Artemis have?

I didn't actually know mana pots refil different amounts depending on the class.
That explains my embarassing confusion yesterday regarding restored mana point per potion... :p

I should be able to join at least for 1-2h again today, just don't know when and for how long.

I may just add a Trapper to the mix... Is it worth going for some boring/low dmg Hoto setup with Spirit or Stormshield in PvP? Don't have any impressive claws... but I do kind of wanna build something around this circlet:
Code:
Storm Visage
Tiara
Defense: 45
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0xb00949e6
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
+15% Increased Attack Speed
+20% Faster Cast Rate
5% Life stolen per hit
+48 to Life
All Resistances +27
Fire Resist +27% 1
Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Shimmering Jewel of Fervor

As for difficulty, IMO it doesn't matter much. Basically adding those res just translates to lower dmg or mana or whatnot for everyone across the board.... Personally I don't think it's hard to go for max res in hell even with budget gear, but on the other hand I do like not having to worry too much about them. Hm... ;)

Reactions: Miron
Rolling maps for good one atm. Game up in 5 minutes from this post at

If anyone of you know how to have open multiple instances of 1.14d, it would be very useful so I could swap characters around. If you have file or method of it please either link me via pm.

@ffs This is a good use for that circlet of yours imo.

Last edited:
Use Singling froz - Link in the stickies.
@ffs I use one like that on my hybrid assassin (given to me by froz iirc)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High