The Build Your Own Tournament!

Good luck !!!

I played the Necro in my oskill Sept this way while leveling up, although twinked of course. Amp + melee Necro = win. At least in early game it was. Hopefully you will go all the way !!!

Untwinked my biggest concern will eventually be AR. Blessed Aim merc feels mandatory. We shall see how it goes. Thank you for the encouragement.

Untwinked my biggest concern will eventually be AR. Blessed Aim merc feels mandatory. We shall see how it goes. Thank you for the encouragement.

Yes, Blessed Aim merc, or maybe even better an Act 1 Rogue. BA increases your own AR, but since that will be very, very low, the end result might still be low. The Inner Sight of an Act 1 Rogue decreases enemy's defense, which might have a bigger impact on your CTH. Not sure though, someone probably ran the numbers somwhere.

We now join Jack in the Inner Cloister.

Jack: Well, have a mace now. Slight improvement from a bardiche.

Hannah: We had an NDE with a horde of cursed bone archers.

Jack: But still, not bad. Being able to slow things down definitely helps....

View attachment 4306

View attachment 4307

View attachment 4308

Hannah: He also got a nice rare rondache with +12 all resists. I have the Arctic furs. Now if only we could get some decent weapons.

Jack: Patience my dearie, this is probably more sets than DJ usually finds in Act I.

JackSparrow the now level 19 Paladin with his companion Hannah who's level 17 iirc in the Inner Cloister: Next up: Catacombs.

We now join Jack in the Inner Cloister.

Jack: Well, have a mace now. Slight improvement from a bardiche.

Hannah: We had an NDE with a horde of cursed bone archers.

Jack: But still, not bad. Being able to slow things down definitely helps....

View attachment 4306

View attachment 4307

View attachment 4308

Hannah: He also got a nice rare rondache with +12 all resists. I have the Arctic furs. Now if only we could get some decent weapons.

Jack: Patience my dearie, this is probably more sets than DJ usually finds in Act I.

JackSparrow the now level 19 Paladin with his companion Hannah who's level 17 iirc in the Inner Cloister: Next up: Catacombs.

Nice progress! You're doing the sword of destiny right?

I will later with probably another paladin. This one is living off the land and gambling only.

Not much of a "tournament", but didn't think he warranted his own thread. Figured I'd just post progress here to possibly get some feedback.

Purulentus (ranged poison necro) build around Pus-Spitter crossbow. Planned skill points: Skeletons - 20 RS/SM, Lower Resist - 5, and Iron Golem? 20 GM/20 BG/1 IG
View attachment 4309
photo.php

photo.php

Hmm.. should have read a bit more carefully before jumping into this build.

Just want to make sure I understand correctly. Generally, poison damage rate gets added up, and dealt over the average duration of sources? However, if the skill venom is being used, all poison damage gets cut down to venom duration (0.4 sec)?

I'm entering with a Javazon named Calypso. The build will be decided by drops, starting out as a Poison Javazon with Jab support.

The set of rules I've chosen are based on the premise that one can only use items created by the Cube:

1. Softcore (first death disqualifies), single pass, untwinked, GoMule/ATMA extended stash allowed.
2. V1.13d (I can't figure how to upgrade to 1.14 since the updater always crashes)
3. Vanilla (no RWM)
4. Any players setting allowed at any time.
5. No restrictions regarding skills.
6. Stat points can be used freely.
7. Respec is allowed.
8. ONLY items created by the cube, and unsocketed non-magical items, can be equipped. For example, this includes all crafted items, upgraded uniques and rares, rerolled magic weapons, and magical amulets created from magical rings.
9. Unsocketing or repairing does not count as "creating".
10. Charms, potions, scrolls, tomes, arrows, and bolts can be used without restriction.
11. In order for a socketable to be socketed, it must come from a cube recipe (i.e., rune or gem upgrade).
12. Exceptions to #11: El runes and jewels.
13. Any item can be used in a cube recipe (no recursion).
14. Mercenaries have to follow the item restrictions.
15. Quest reward items are NOT exempt from item restrictions (e.g.: imbues have to be upgraded, Larzuk can only socket items created by the cube).

I already played up to the point where she got the Cube (otherwise there wouldn't be much sense in posting this).

Cubed gear includes:
Maiden Javelin of Frost (magic weapon + 3 chippies recipe)
Serpent's Bone Shield of Spikes ('of Spikes' shield recipe)
FR and +life amulet (3 rings --> amulet recipe)
2x +mana ring (3 amulets --> ring recipe)
Savage Bill of Quality (Savage Polearm recipe, to be equipped later by Azrael the Prayer merc)

Other gear is white / grey.

[highlight]Calypso the Cubazon and Azrael the Prayer merc, level 25, Lut Gholein, Palace Cellar next.[/highlight]

Nathaniel gripped his blade tightly with both hands as he braced for the unknown challenges before him in the Sewers. He knew it was his Destiny, but he wished his Destiny had been . . . different.

He had only himself to blame, however, as he had greedily cast down the Normal Council over and over in search of stronger equipment. The first act of Nightmare had lived up to its name, with his Soulflay, even now as a Dacian Falx, a meager tool to challenge the terrors walking the earth and underneath it. No matter. Time to focus on the task at hand . . .

So I found this fellow hiding at the bottom of my character selection screen. Last update was end of Normal, at level 42, back in May. He was currently level 49, just into A2 NM. Hmm.

TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny: The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.

I went into the Save folder and saw the last date modified as August. Sadly, I couldn’t find any screenies or notes :(

I do have a pretty clear recollection that Andy had been a handful. I hadn’t turned down p-setting and after going through entire belt, barely a dent in life bar. S&E and set to p1, which still involved lots of running around. Even with potions, the strong physical attack, with no shield, low defense, no FHR = dicey. I tried rerunning her to improve gear, and had to S&E. I’m guessing that had prompted the break back in August.

NM imbue had been used, with no upgrade for merc weapon, so clearly it hadn’t been good. Merc was toting a different rare pike, but barely an upgrade. The SoD Soulflay was upgraded, so Countess runs had panned out. But still, the damage is pretty slim. He also had dual leech blood gloves without IAS, and the merc had a craft safety helm that was lame :\

So we dusted him off and took stock, with a quick run in Catacombs to get used to playing him and see what the issues were. Lots. Limited IAS, low damage, low AR, no cannot be frozen, for some reason 4 pts in Zeal again (?) after earlier realization that 5 attack zeal cycle with slow attack and no cannot be frozen would be his downfall, and balance of points in Holy Lightning. I will assume I played A1 NM after a few drinks :rolleyes:

NM respect was used. Low damage and AR could be addressed with 1pt zeal + sacrifice synergy and then putting some points in Blessed Aim for passive bonus. Blessed Aim merc was retained for added help on AR. Focus on blood belt for next perfect ruby would give some OW, which would at least allow hit and run to bleed out tough bosses.

I was still not optimistic about the path forward, so we settled on p1 until LK, where Nathaniel could spend some time searching for charms and some lucky rare chest drops, and maybe some runes to consider a runeword SoD. Nathaniel started with some Countess runs, planning to level to 50 before tackling A2. He had a nice map, with a little running from WP to tower that generally had 2 or 3 bossbacks, and then very quick down to Countess. Highlights were a 4 slot belt with good LR (upgrade over 3 slot belt), and a Hel.

Radament was easier than expected. Being able to get rid of his minions with Redemption helps. Moved through surface areas quickly at A1, not worrying about the underground areas or chasing down every monster. CVT was found quickly and Fangskin was manageable.

View attachment 4353

Then back to the hole in the sand, which wasn’t too bad. LR was near 75, and poison resist was at least positive. Arcane was frustrating, of course, the fourth arm being the right one. But p1 meant nothing was too dangerous. Nathaniel finally got a third flawless ruby which allowed rolling of a nothing-special blood belt prior to taking on Duriel, but the OW figured to be helpful if he had to run around. Stocked up on thawing potions, and went down. Uh oh.

View attachment 4355

He regained his footing and things went smoothly from there, with only that first merc resurrection needed and four trips back to town total for potions.

View attachment 4356

Decent drop (Unique Military Axe and Battle Dart), but nothing useful for Nathaniel. He has picked up Khalim’s parts from Spider Forest and Flayer Jungle and hit WP in LK with a set of fire huts right there. He plans to do a few runs at p8 in hopes of getting some rares or charms, before moving to Trav WP. Oh, thanks Ormus (it was an upgrade)

View attachment 4357

Nathaniel, 2H sort-a-zeal HF Pally, with Razan the Offensive Normal A2 Merc, Lvl 53

Last edited:
So you think you are going to be a Necromancer and head off to the academy. You get there, and they begin with the simple arts. You learn to curse, but skip class when they are talking about those two boring curses, Confuse and Iron Maiden. They tell you there are important curses that depend on those, but you don't care.

You miss the first week of summoning specialties, because no one cares about skeletons anyway, and only show up when they start talking about golems. Once you summon your first golem made of clay, you figure you have that mastered and don't need any more types of golems. Just ways to make this one better.

Poison dagger? What do they think you are, an assassin? Teeth, do they think you are a dentist? Bone Armor? Now that has a nice ring to it. This you learn.

In the end, even though you flunked out of the academy, the headmaster took a liking to you. He hands you a wand as you walk out the door, which you casually toss aside and start punching your way to the first available weapon of any kind you can find that you can wield with both hands. Because surely such a big man needs a big weapon. You'll show them all you are the toughest guy the've ever seen...

This tournament plays off the classic story of the 98 pound weakling with an inferiority complex and his trusty 2-handed weapon as he attempts to overcompensate.

1) Class: Necromancer

2) Untwinked. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will.

3) Equipment Restriction: Two-handed melee weapons are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Any type of two-handed melee weapon may be used along the way. This is the only equipment restriction. (Starting wand must be discarded immediately.)

4) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find a way to prove his worth as a tough-guy two-handed melee fighter.

5) Other gear: All other gear including charms, crafting and rune words are permitted.

6) Skill restrictions, per tree:
Summoning spells: Clay Golem, Golem Mastery, Summon Resist
Poison and Bone Spells: Bone Armor, Bone Wall
Curses: Amplify Damage, Dim Vision, Weaken, Terror, Decrepify

No other skills allowed to be pointed.

12) Mercenaries: Any Mercenary is allowed.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can wear any gear.

14) No scoring,
except that all progress updates must be written in second person. Because that perspective just isn't used enough.

Some days - You wake up dead. You think everything is going great, you even manage to fight off Duriel, that early game death trap as you fight a charging chilling beast in a box. Make your way through a horrifically populated Flayer Jungle as you constantly spam Dim Vision and hope not too many people notice you at once. You continue on past a rather nasty council and find your way past Bremm Sparkfist to Mephisto. You make it far enough to redeem a fallen angel for Tyrael, but then as you become a bit too confident, you find yourself out of potions, out of mana, health rapidly dropping and cut off from retreat in the River of Flame. But then... it's over.

-OOC-
Well reading back through my ruleset I failed to add it in that it was intended as hardcore or first death soft core with no save and exit to stay alive allowed. I should have taken a screenshot when I had the Save and Exit screen up. I couldn't tell exactly how much life I had left when I hit Escape to at least gather my wits and see if there was any way out, but I saw no discernible pixels of health. There was a health potion on the ground that had dropped so I thought I might get lucky and grab and drink but I was just too overwhelmed.

At any rate, I do not think I possess the patience to play this particular build untwinked. Certainly no longer possess the skill after years away from the game. I'll be thinking of my next entry.

Thanks all!

@Xirys - Sorry to hear about the deeds, does sound like quite the challenge to undergo. Good luck with your next endeavor!:)

It seems that creating my rule set took me more time than playing this character until deeds. True Tomb, at level 27. Got surrounded in a particularly nasty room with six unravellers and a mummy sarcophagus.

I'm re-entering with a gold find character:
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/tournament-descendants-of-midas.668837/

Rule set is simple: Everything needs to have GF on it, except weapons and pure MF armor. Only skill points from even level ups can be saved or spent freely. Points from odd level ups must be randomized within a chosen tree. Reward skill points must be completely randomized.

I'm entering with a Blade Fury Assassin named Yuan (as in the currency). I will (mostly) choose Trap skills and randomize Shadow Disciplines.

Current stats: 184% GF, maximum pile: 577 (from a Champion in the Catacombs).

Skills:
2 points in Blade Fury (assigned deterministically).
I got pretty lucky with the random skills assigned (although it's hard to draw something completely useless at this stage):
3 - Claw Mastery
5 - Fire Blast (deterministic at this stage)
Den of Evil - Claw Mastery
7 - Fire Blast
9 - Fire Blast
11 - Psychic Hammer (prereq!)
13 - Wake of Fire (prereq!)
15 - Cloak of Shadows (nice!)
17 - Blade Sentinel (prereq!)
19 - Burst of Speed

Nice gift from Andy:
Shadow Whorl
Jewel
Required Level: 8
Fingerprint: 0xcb4662eb
Item Level: 12
Version: Expansion 1.10+
10% Enhanced Damage
+6 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Dexterity
20% Extra Gold from Monsters

[highlight]Yuan and Mizan the Blessed Aim merc, level 20, Lut Gholein[/highlight]

Jack: This is not conducive to my idea of a good area to live.
View attachment 4506
DJ: Well, it could be worse. Cheer up, the next section after this is the jungle, which is your favorite.

Hannah: It really is burning here.

Jack: So this time I finally got something relevant as in two pieces of a set. I was so happy.

View attachment 4507

Hannah: We switched armors for him to continue looting.

DJ: Andy wasn't horrible either, surprisingly.
View attachment 4508
Jack: Lots of antidotes. Of course I have experience with poison, being a pirate and all that.

Hannah: Let's hurry up, this place is too hot......

Jack and Hannah, now 21 and 19 (iirc) sitting in Lut Gholein complaining about the weather. Next up: Sewers.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High