OT: What TV Shows/Anime are you currently watching?

ioupain

Jul 12, 2003
ioupain.github.io
Hi All,

I figured that a lot of us would have similar taste in TV shows and Anime, so why not start an Off-Topic thread* in the SPF (the OT forum doesn't get too much traffic these days).

Obviously, please keep spoilers to a minimum and in [SPOILER]...[/SPOILER] tags. You could also add season/episode numbers if your spoiler is specific to an episode. We do have people from around the world and America does see most episodes before everyone else!

I watch a tonne of shows, so I'm going to post just a few that are recent, have new seasons out or are about to start.

[HIGHLIGHT]TV Shows[/HIGHLIGHT]
  1. Marvel's Cloak & Dagger:
    It had a bit of a slow start but it's getting better. One of the less well known parts of the Marvel universe, I certainly wasn't aware of it until this show was greenlighted.

2. Marvel's Luke Cage - Season 2 is about to start!

3. Condor:
    A spy drama that started 2 weeks ago - not sure how I feel about this, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

4. Cobra Kai:
    Continuation of the Karate Kid series released in May on YouTube Red. This was nostalgic and good to pass the time. The episodes are relatively short 20-30 minutes x 10 episodes, so there isn't much to catch up on. There are a few nostalgic funny moments that I really enjoyed.
[HIGHLIGHT]Anime[/HIGHLIGHT]
  1. Boku No Hero Academia / My Hero Academia:
    I love this, the 3rd season is a joy to watch. Some of the characters actually use tactics which is quite rare in this type of anime. Usually it is more brute strength or friendship power.

2. Black Clover:
    37 episodes in, really enjoy this. More of a Shounen thing, so good if you liked Naruto or Bleach etc.

I've been part of this community since 2006 (2003 if you count my previous account on which I created 1 thread) but this is only the 11th (or 12th) thread I've created on this forum. While I haven't been too shy about posting in existing threads - although I wasn't exactly prolific at that either - I was always reticent about starting new threads due to anxiety.

Interestingly, participating in tournaments, getting to know people and the forum redesign adding in 'likes' (and my content receiving some likes) has definitely made me a little more confident about starting threads. If you're shy, don't wait 12+ years like me, just go for it! Also, create an avatar, it somehow gives you more personality.

Also, thanks to the people who liked my content, I don't think I would have participated as much without that positive feedback.

I don't watch much current programming. I stick to used DVD's or free streaming services such as Sony's Crackle.

[HIGHLIGHT]TV Shows[/HIGHLIGHT]
  1. House, M.D.:
    I watch this show regularly, through all 8 seasons. Other than my wife or children, I would say this show is ranked as my favorite thing in the whole world.

2. Heroes:
    This was the first show that jumped out at me on Crackle, as I never watched the full show. First season is pretty much the only one I think is really good, it lost momentum for me and I haven't been able to force myself to finish it, but I want to before I watch Reborn.

3. Westworld:
    I missed the second half of season 2, but if I can find it used somewhere, I'd absolutely buy any seasons of this show that might be developed in the future.

4. The Good Doctor:
    I missed an episode as it was airing, so I wasn't able to watch this one on my DVR when I had it. I only watched this one because of the tie back to House, and was mostly disappointed in what I saw (maybe up to episode 9 or 10?) I would attempt to sit through the original Korean soap if I found it cheap.
[HIGHLIGHT]Anime[/HIGHLIGHT]

I watch some anime, but nothing routinely. I stick to subtitles, as I feel a lot of inflection, connotations, and emotion can be lost when localized. American overdubs are usually an instant turnoff for me, unless I've never experienced it in Japanese.
  1. Initial D:
    Even though it is short, I really like this one. I think I own all of this, and even a manga book or two somewhere... I even have the Fujiwara Tofu Delivery 86 die replica.

2. Attack on Titan/Cowboy Bebop/Fullmetal Alchemist/FLCL:
    I lob these all together to give an idea of what I have seen, but surely not in their entirety. I enjoy what I've seen of each of these shows.

3. Princess Mononoke/Howl's Moving Castle/Akira/X/Ninja Scroll:
    I adore all of these, but I know some folks don't consider full length features to be "anime" because they aren't "manga." I watch at least one of these every month or so.

Re: Your closing thoughts:
At one point in time, I considered myself to be closer to some of the people here than even my family, or friends that I know in the real world. I've fallen out of sorts with some because of my extended lack of a computer or useful internet access, and others have moved on in their real lives, but will always hold a special, secret place in me.

Westworld currently. I watched the Twin Peaks return at the beginning of the year. I’m waiting for the final Game of Thrones season, even though I think has been much poorer as soon as it out paced the books.

I don’t watch much anime, but my youngest daughter was brought up on Ponyo, Totoro, Laputa, Spirited Away & Howls Moving Castle. Fantastic films, much better than anything Disney ever produced.

I'm re-rewatching Futurama and when that's done I get into the second series of the Librarians.

@logoutzero I'm watching The Good Doctor too but it is a bit bland at times. It got a second season, so someone out there must like it.

I can't think of the last show I really watched end-to-end, maybe when I streamed the original Twin Peaks a few years back? Before that, Big O and Nichijou are a couple favorites of mine, and I got pretty far into Samurai Champloo as well. I have a hard time keeping through with shows even if I'm enjoying them. For me, movies are an easier investment.

What about books? I find it's easier to fit 10-15 minutes here and there into my schedule to read than 22-45 minutes to watch an episode. I just finished Crytonomicon by Neal Stephenson, and I've got a few lined up to hopefully finish before summer ends (one about Coyotes, one about Pinochet's dictatorship in Chile, and a fantasy by Neil Gaiman). Perfectionists by Simon Winchester is the perfect follow-up to Crypto; it's a book all about precision in society, and as a result talks a hell of a lot about technology- just like Crypto. I'm enjoying it immensely, reading about things like the development of SI units is more interesting than I thought possible.

Which book by Neil Gaiman? Have you read American Gods? I've read that twice and listened to the audiobook at least 4 times. Wonderful.

What I'm watching:

Absolutely nothing.

What I'm reading:
The Long Walk - Richard bachman (Stephen King)
Misery - Stephen King

Masterchef Australia
the best Masterchef

@logoutzero Heroes really goes downhill after season 1. The whole concept was "what would it be like for a superhero to realize their powers?" Well after that happens, then its just another superhero show. And they weren't too good at the rest of it.

Still waiting with the other millions of people for GoT final season. Also just started watching Ozark (it’s a Netflix series) with Jason Bateman. Highly recommend it.

American Gods is a great book, I really want to see the TV Series too. I think it was on Amazon Prime in the UK.

Neil Gaiman is awesome. Anansi Boys and Neverwhere where also great, the latter especially if you know London at all.

Anime are TV shows.

This was a thread for us lazy TV watchers, not you book reading snobs :confused:

All kidding aside, I've been meaning to find a fantasy series that captured me as much as The Belgariad/The Malloreon. Do any of the above recommendations fit the bill?

The Long Walk - Richard bachman (Stephen King)
Seriously one of my absolute favorites.

Who asked you?
Literally the OP.

What I'm watching:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Gintama
Knights of Sedonia (slowly)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Crap Loads of YouTube
Rewatch of all of Venture Bros with my son

What I'm Reading Weekly/monthly:
One Piece
My Hero Academia
One Punch Man
The Promised Neverland
A Trail of Blood
Boruto (ugh, got sucked in)
Dragonball Super
Hajime no Ippo

Binge Reading:
Locke and Key

Prose I'm Dragging myself through slowly:
Slaughterhouse Five (again)
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Listening To:
Hardcore History (latest Blitz)

Last edited:
TV shows:

Nothing new, used to watch:
Sliders
Louis & Clark
Law & Order
Various comedy shows (big bang, Married... with Children, etc)

Books:
Powder Mage trilogy - great read so far
Monarchies of God - wonderful series, the story of Corfe is just heart wrenching
David Baldacci's books are always intresting
SS-GB is great alternate history story

This was a thread for us lazy TV watchers, not you book reading snobs :confused:

All kidding aside, I've been meaning to find a fantasy series that captured me as much as The Belgariad/The Malloreon. Do any of the above recommendations fit the bill?

oh boy. I'm a bit of a fantasy snob myself. Classic fantasy includes the Hobbit And Lord of the Rings. Also Magician: Apprentice by Feist. If you want a different twist you can try out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. The magic system involves ingesting metals and using different metals for different effects. If you like Sanderson, he has a lot more books. If you want a modern approach, you can try the Dresden Files. It's set in modern day Chicago with Wizards, Vampires, Angels and basically almost any fantasy fairy tale that you have and haven't heard of included.

Back to topic.

Watching the DC universe on TV right now, waiting for Luke Cage to get released. Since you gave Cloak and Dagger a thumbs up, I might have to go try it out. I don't watch anime.

for tv series i'm just with Fargo, Luke Cage, Come Fly With Me ( an UK show)
for anime Children of the Whales
and books the Hannu Rajaniemi The Jean le Flambeur series

...Amazon Prime in the UK...especially if you know London at all.

...( a UK show)...

I didn't realise we had so many Brits around here!

...Also Magician: Apprentice by Feist...

Thanks for the recommendation, I've started this now. Can you confirm that there is a quests/magic/epic fights/a motley crew of warriors with niche skills etc. feel to this thing? Maybe dragons, witches, trolls etc.?

I don't like modern fantasy with cars and phones etc. I prefer War of The Roses era stuff with swords/bows/axes/staves/magic etc.

What I'm Reading Weekly/monthly:
Boruto (ugh, got sucked in)
At least this is only monthly.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've started this now. Can you confirm that there is a quests/magic/epic fights/a motley crew of warriors with niche skills etc. feel to this thing? Maybe dragons, witches, trolls etc.?

I don't like modern fantasy with cars and phones etc. I prefer War of The Roses era stuff with swords/bows/axes/staves/magic etc.

No motley crew, just a magician. If you want a motley crew, read Eddings other trilogy, The Elenium. Or with the Mistborn trilogy, I've seen the synopsis written as, "Oceans 11 set in Mordor when Sauron's been in power for 1,000 years."

I've read the Elenium, but it wasn't as good as the Belgariad/Malloreon.

Does this Magician in the Riftwar saga kick butt, at least?

I'll check out Mistborn, thanks for the recommendation!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High