OT: What are you listening to right now

I'm all over Spotify at the moment, after discovering it, and seeing how easy it is to have all sorts of playlists and stuff. Currently revisiting some of my old favourites, which I still had on tape until some time ago. Right now I'm listening to Dark Tranquility, The Gallery. Amazing stuff !!!

I already knew Unleashed's old material, but only recently stumbled upon their later work. Stuff like this is so good:

@T72on1 dat Swedish sound! Unmistakable. Have you heard the latest Meshuggah? As a drummer, that band holds a special place in my heart; going to see them in Oslo on the 24th (of February 2017 in case anyone reads this a long time from now).

Also, I feel inadequate as a drummer, for not being able to do what any 13-year-old from a developing country can do....

Anyone loving the new Mastodon track?

It really is a step back in the right direction (Crack the Skye/Blood Mountain era)

@helvete Yes, bought the Meshuggah album when it came out, like I always do. Fantastic band, and the new album is just killer. Saw them live in Antwerp in november last year. Absolutely amazing show. They are always impressive, but this time even more so. Not in the least because of Thomas Haake. The man is a cyborg drumming.

@Lynchgrinch I never really liked Mastodon, but I'll give this one a spin when I'm at my computer.

I enjoy the new Meshuggah, but tbh I prefer ObZen and Koloss by quite a margin. My brother-in-law actually does album reviews so got the album about a month early so I was making all my metalhead mates jealous.

@T72on1 Yeah, it took me years to get into Mastodon. I couldn't get into them at all until a good buddy sat me down and bade me listen to crack the skye. That album changed my mind and remains one of my top 10 albums of all time. Give it a bash, especially if you like the proggier side of metal.

Black Sabbath's first album, self titled. It still kicks the poop out of anything put out today, especially considering how long ago it came out.

Honestly there isn't much that comes out these days I like. Besides Tool, it's very rare for me to find anything I like.

@Lynchgrinch The new Meshuggah is my personal favourite album of that band. Obzen was really good too, I found Koloss to be a bit disappointing. Still very very good, but my standard for a Meshuggah album has been going up a lot over the years.

I like prog metal and prog rock too, but it depends. What I don't like from most metal bands is clean vocals, and iirc Mastodon having been using those for most of their albums. While a mix of clean vocals and growls can be very good, only a minority of bands actually manage to do it properly in my opinion. For all the others it doesn't add anything to the music at the very best, and most of the time it's just plain annoying. The last album of Mastodon that I heard, one I got at the local library a while ago, was definitely in the latter category. Not sure which one it was, I think Once More round the Sun.

Some lovely black metal. I knew their debut Vittra, but only recently discovered they made very good albums after that as well.

Sometimes I listen to the D2 soundtrack when im at work. It helps me focus on killing Fallen, er, uh, I mean prep food for the restaurant...

A few days ago I felt like discovering some new Doom metal. Some googling brought me in touch with some very good stuff: Skepticism, Ahab, Morgion, Swallow the Sun, ...

Enjoy ...

Swallow the sun is awesome!

I have been starting to getting really hyped for the new Judas Priest album so now I am going trough their entire catalogue.

Their first five albums are so defining to almost every sub-genre of heavy metal. Stained class is more than a decade ahead of its time!

The past weeks I have been rotating between these albums:
Mgła - Exercises In Futility
Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High