Orange You Glad That Rune Dropped: Craft-Centric Tournament

If the item is socketed with at least one rune, it can also accommodate jewels. So have at it. But only until the start of A2 NM, when the crafted gear limitation kicks in:

"But-but items are limited before A2 NM to white/grey items and throwing potions, something using a rune (e.g., item of any type socketed with a rune, upgraded item, Runeword) or reward items (as noted below)"

I think I used 2s polearm rolled with Savage cube recipe and then rolled with chippies, with one rune and a jewel of some sort.

Reactions: Jocular
Conqueror.jpg
Alright, Orange made it to Hell! We picked up in A5 NM, with the flaming bone archers in the foothills, for a slow and careful process forward. Methodical progress using the Decoy more often to scout ahead, with no real trouble. Abaddon super chest delivered an Um (to go with the HF Um), which is cool and may end getting used for resists. A Fal dropped in Frozen River, and Anya's reward was a mostly useless bow that was kept in case I end up going FA back up.

We had hit lvl 70, and crafted through our pgems. Keepers were a 2os blood helm and finally some FRW boots! The helm is still to be socketed, but it will get merc maxed resists except poison for start of Hell with an Ort and Thul, so likely the opening option with hopes to phase out as he levels a bit and resists increase. The boots give Orange much needed mobility, and that will be the main use for Sapphires going forward I think, hoping for FRW and better resists and/or FHR. And this amulet (missed the screen shot somehow), which couldn't be immediately equipped, but is now and likely is end-game:
Code:
Viper Necklace
Amulet
Required Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0x44a89160
Item Level: 71
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+8% Faster Cast Rate
+12 to Attack Rating
+17 to Dexterity
+11 to Mana
Regenerate Mana 5%
All Resistances +20
Magic Damage Reduced by 3

Smooth sailing to WSK (Ancients taken on p1), and then a nice mini-stair trap in the Throne Room, with a Marauder boss pack and 4 normal OK packs. We were able to retreat to the top initally and get a foothold, so no trouble. Waves were no trouble, with extra fast Lister getting pulled out to play things safe. Baal (p3) spawned a clone and lots of tentacles, but was neutralized without a town trip. Peasant Crown is interesting, but no worth personalizing with only one left until A5 Hell and potentially going Harmony or Insight (or something else if a great drop).

We did another batch of crafting, with 2 of 4 upgrades. Caster gloves have IAS and lightning resist, in addition to handy auto mods, and the merc got an armor upgrade with big boost to life and dual resist. Orange then tackled Cows, dropping to p5 after this Boss portal trap took down Lehoras multiple times (this was after about 5 minutes of dodging and thinning the perimeter of a big pack, and multiple town trips). The gem drops allowed two more crafts, one of which was a ring upgrade to replace a quest reward. Then the biggie--I took my chances to imbue one of the plain Ceremonial Javelins that had dropped in A5:
NM A5 (Charsi Imbue).jpg
Wow! I think I will stick with Jab back-up for now, which will leave three respecs once the Den is cleared. There are a few wasted skill points in Impale, but that can get rebalanced later if I end up sticking with Jab. And then still flexibility to respec if needed in response to gear improvements.

So we have Anya Personalization (NM), Imbue (Normal), Larzuk x2, and the Hell rewards available. And Orange has a pretty good line on how to use crafts: sapphires to boots, rubies to merc helm and then rings, amethysts to gloves and armor, emeralds to elite spears (and then otherwise if I personalize or imbue merc weapon). Entering Hell, resists are 62/66/72/66, so quite solid! And there are lower resist (5/6) SCs for all resists but fire, so any can be maxed. So I feel as well prepared as possible to tackle Hell. Hoping to get through A1 this weekend.

Orange, Level 74, A1 Hell, Read to Tackle the Den of Evil

Rich (BB code):
Forumite     Character         Class   Lvl   Progress
--------     ---------         -----   ---   --------
Skiff        ColdFever         Sorc    77    Guardian
Norcim       Valryka           Zon     81    A2 H
Grisu        Lugh              Barb    ??    A1 H
OldSoldier   GaranDarkslayer   Pal     ??    A1 H
PhineasB     Orange            Zon     74    A1 H
Pb_pal       Elding            Pal     58    A3 NM
Vildecor     Rowena            Sin     48    A1 NM
Babyhell     ItsATrap          Sin     21    A2 N

Rich (BB code):
Forumite   Character   Class   Lvl   Progress
--------   ---------   -----   ---   --------
zemaj      OUGNecro    Nec     33    A3 N
Jocular    PopeJohn... Pal     48    A1 NM

Spokane was born out of Fire a flame…wait wrong story.
Spokane headed the call of lightning and was going to exact mighty lightning fury upon the inhabitants that have overrun these perilous and once beautiful lands.
Deciding early that these “runes” would yield her power when forged in a the Horadric Cube according to the elder, Deckard Cain.

I did re-run allowed areas, noted by my *Spokane in table.

This is my first Amazon Guardian, previous best was dead in Act5 Hell somewhere. Overall I only had a few NDEs in Hell, notable in Act 3 flayer jungle and once in Act5.

Will do a Guardian thread sometime tomorrow hopefully.

This shield was awesome craft:

Screenshot239.jpg

Normal:

Placed some points, hit some monsters, used a plain old white Javelin (then maiden javelin). Crafted some jank gear. Good to go.
Normal Screenshots

Screenshot192.jpg

Screenshot195.jpg

Screenshot197.jpg

Screenshot198.jpg

Screenshot200.jpg

Screenshot201.jpg

Screenshot208.jpg

Screenshot209.jpg

Screenshot210.jpg

Screenshot211.jpg
Screenshot212.jpg

Screenshot213.jpg

Screenshot214.jpg

Screenshot215.jpg

Screenshot216.jpg

Screenshot218.jpg

Screenshot219.jpg
Screenshot223.jpg

Screenshot224.jpg

Screenshot230.jpg

Screenshot232.jpg

Screenshot233.jpg
Screenshot234.jpg

Screenshot235.jpg

Screenshot236.jpg
Screenshot237.jpg

Rich (BB code):
Vang         *Spokane          Zon     81    Guardian
Grisu        Lugh              Barb    ??    A1 H

Rich (BB code):

Attachments

• Screenshot197.jpg
    Screenshot197.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot217.jpg
    Screenshot217.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 1
That shield! And from the initial batch of crafts in A2 NM, no less. Wow, great job, and I'm definitely looking forward to that guardian write up too!

If the item is socketed with at least one rune, it can also accommodate jewels. So have at it. But only until the start of A2 NM, when the crafted gear limitation kicks in:

"But-but items are limited before A2 NM to white/grey items and throwing potions, something using a rune (e.g., item of any type socketed with a rune, upgraded item, Runeword) or reward items (as noted below)"

I think I used 2s polearm rolled with Savage cube recipe and then rolled with chippies, with one rune and a jewel of some sort.
Post A2NM, crafted items can be socketed with anything though, right?

--

Also, @Vang major congrats, that's one hell of an update! Great work!

Last edited:
Post A2NM, crafted items can be socketed with anything though, right?

--

Also, @Vang major congrats, that's one hell of an update! Great work!
I was under the impression if it is crafted or reward it can utilize anything in sockets.

Yeah, looking at the post from zero to guardian it was quite lacking, good thing I did one with a bit more this morning since you know, I left out oh all my gear on that Hell Gear spoiler, :ROFLMAO:

@PhineasB That shield actually is different than the one from initial crafts for Act2NM (19 resist all/36 lightning), the one at top was crafted before going starting Hell (37 all/65lightning) but both got 30%FBR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pb_pal
Amazing progress @Vang and @PhineasB !! Both you you have had some drool-worthy crafts :love:

No update just yet, but my Barb has grabbed the Eye and Brain in Act III. I'm trying to push through Norm as fast as possible during the time that I have available to get to that first crafting session at level 51...good god PopeJohnPaul_II was so close. So no moment to spare for a journal entry just yet. And since my last deeds was so recent Act I-III will be condensed into a single post. There is time, however to share one picture, a gift from our dear friend Ormus:

Screenshot041.jpg

Taliesin has finished normal!

I've been playing a lot, but not updating (as you can tell :( ). Normally I hate cows, often enough to skip doing them. In tournaments, it's just stupid tedious picking up all the crap and selling it. IN this setting though, cows was so fun! Lots of gems, runes, jewels, charms, etc.

I have an amazing circlet that I'll have to post once I'm home. I spent a bunch of gold gambling them hoping for something to socket or personalize or something like that, so you'll just have to wait and see :)

Caretaker's Circlet of Speed
Circlet
Defense: 28
Durability: 33 of 35
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x9008640f
Item Level: 42
+2 to Summoning Skills (Druid Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
Adds 5 - 21 Fire Damage
Adds 1 - 4 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
Cold Resist +25%
Poison Resist +30%
10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Blood Talisman

Tal Rune
Required Level: 17
Weapons: Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
Armor: Poison Resist +30%
Shields: Poison Resist +35%

Blood Talisman
Jewel
Required Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x894709d2
Item Level: 36
Adds 5 - 21 Fire Damage
Adds 1 - 4 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
Cold Resist +25%
10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

The aforementioned circlet :)

Wow, some serious updats there. @Vang especially! 😲

My speed is slowing down...full clears at /p3 in Hell with single target attack is...not as fast as you might think...

Thanks to War Cry, the gameplay is still very safe though!

I even found @OldSoldier's Shield:
Screenshot112.jpg

Other than that, nothing really exciting. I love my teleport amulet which makes gameplay so much safer, even with low FCR!

Oh wait, this craft was exciting:
Screenshot105.jpg

Nice upgrade for my merc. Still waiting for that 5os Thresher for Obedience, but the crafted spear and double up'd Bonesnap will do for now :)

Rich (BB code):
Grisu        Lugh              Barb    79    A2 H

Rich (BB code):

Rich (BB code):
Grisu        Lugh              Barb    79    A2 H
Luhkoh       Amaresu           Sorc     1    A1 N

Rich (BB code):

Screw it, I'm in. Doubt I'll last too long, but we shall see :).

Ok help me out here. First tourney and idk what I'm doing :p. I have been full clearing p8 and for some reason thought I would skip the respec and just grind through on the cold/fire tree (planning to go meteorb most likely) rather than go charged bolt. Not a great idea, things were going super slow with 1 point ice blast and smacking things with a staff. But this morning I got lvl 12 (fireball) and a rogue merc at about the same time and things are looking way up. Much respect to you all who full clear p8 with a barb. The time investment is real.

Right now I'm just running around with white gear (but a chipped skull in the armor for a smidge of regen) and a plain hunters bow on the rogue. What should I be targeting here? I reread @skiffcz 's first post, and it sounds like I should shop a leaf base from drognan when I get there and maybe imbue boots at lvl 23? Any advice is appreciated ^^. Other than that just savage polearm recipe and reroll it for sockets if I get an a2 merc?

edit: also, so white/gray items can be used till a2 nm, but gemmed white/gray items only in a1 normal?

Last edited:
@Luhkoh:
yes, white/grey items can be used until A2 NM, gemmed items only in Act I Normal.

You can get a rogue merc earlier than level 12 (i.e. after defeating Blood Raven): you can hire a rogue merc once you hit level 8. I recommend Fire, because damage is higher and the range of the Fire Arrow is larger than those of the Ice Arrows.

For early game in Act I, I recommend getting a Scepter ASAP without staff mods from Akara (highest one-handed damage output), ideally with sockets and then socket some gems in it (topaz does most damage, but freezing from sapphires might be better or emeralds for poison damage). Also, get a 3 os superior Long Bow from Gheed for your merc and put some gems in it, too.

Then shop a good base for Leaf. Ideally 2 os (doh) and some fire spell staffmods. Can be expensive though, so make sure to collect all those high valuable items and sell them (throwing knives, armor studded leather and better, rings, amulets, throwing potions...I myself collect almost everything and sell it).

If you don't mind using respecs and don't want the game to be too slow, then you can go Fireball first until you get to Frozen Orb, then 1pt CM and start maxing FO - it will carry you through normal difficulty on its own.

In Act II, get a town guard and try the savage polearm recipe. Ideally you'll get an exceptional one with sockets (Partizan is best, but can only be equipped immediately if you have to jewels of Freedom in your stash and/or some socketed armor with amethysts for the +STR) - if not, you can recube it with the socket recipe (3 chipped gems + magical weapon = ilvl 25 socketed weapon of the same type). Then insert any rune to be able to use it till A2 NM. Gets rid of the Savage prefix unfortunately, but makes it equippable if you don't get sockets via the savage polearm recipe. Best/cheapest places to shop ingredients: Sash at Charsi's, Short Staff at Akara's, Kris at Fara's.

Also, Strangling Gas Potions are your friend early on - pick them up from a poison shrine one by one, stash them, sell them back one by one to a vendor and rebuy: this way you will have some 25 stacks of potions. Be careful to resell and rebuy before you throw the last one.

I like imbuing circlets early on, because they have inherent level modifiers and can get higher level affixes than any other item you imbue. Some ridiculous items are possible
Wraith Brow
Circlet
Defense: 23
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 19
Fingerprint: 0x44689164
Item Level: 24
Adds 1 - 90 Lightning Damage
Adds 50 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
+37 to Life
Fire Resist +37%
Damage Reduced by 3
+5 to Mana after each Kill

I might have forgotten some dozen tips, but it's a start ;-) Good luck and have fun!

Double post, I need some input here:

Screenshot123.jpg

Screenshot132.jpgScreenshot133.jpg

Screenshot134.jpg
Screenshot135.jpg

The drop came just in time before I finished the claw viper temple
Screenshot131.jpg
so that I could switch between difficulties to make that Runeword.

Now the question is:
Do I equip the mercenary with it and keep my upped Bonesnap? Or do I respec to Polearms? This would free up 51 stat points (equaling ~400 life), give me around the same average damage, much better CtH and better resists, synergises with Concentrate (+210 Armor on Obedience) but leaves my merc with a worse weapon.
Reminder: this is my merc's current weapon:
Code:
     Hailstone Bar
Hyperion Spear
     Two Hand Damage: 77 - 264
     Durability: 19 of 30
     Required Level: 73
     Required Strength: 155
     Required Dexterity: 120
     Fingerprint: 0xe94ebce1
     Item Level: 80
+40% Increased Attack Speed
     122% Enhanced Damage
     +244 to Attack Rating
     Adds 107 - 147 Fire Damage
     +8% Enhanced Defense
     Lightning Resist +10%
     Damage Reduced by 4
     Magic Damage Reduced by 1

These are the weapons in comparison:
Bonesnap.jpgObedience.jpg

So, what would you do?

Reactions: Vildecor and Norcim
I would use Obedience personally. Fixes all your AR problems with enchant and -25% defense.

Reactions: Grisu
Dagnabbit, I'm right behind you in A1H, you took my shield!!! Argh! :)

...and I'd use that polearm myself, if it really bugged me about missing too many times with Bonesnap. So not optimal as far as basically you'd be throwing out one of your personalization quests, but you'll hit more often and it'll feel better. Plus, an additional 24% lightning resistance will be nice to have. Maybe not a problem if your resists are already maxed out though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luhkoh and Grisu
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High