ND's 1.07 Experience

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
What's the point of this post? Who wants to read it? I don't know. But today marks the one month anniversary of me starting 1.07. I started playing this version exactly 1 month ago, and last night I moved my character Aeon to 1.09, finishing my 1.07 journey. I wanted to make a post to document my experience in 1.07, so you can basically just skip this wall of text if it doesn't sound interesting!

View attachment 3911

The journey all started with an idea I had about twinking a character and speedrunning through the game as fast as I could. I did about 20 runs with my 1.13 (now 1.14) stashes, and those were really fun (and tons of socket quests!), but I couldn't help but feel like it could be faster. A 1.09 ravenclaw was on my list of items I always wished I had. I had also thought about getting a few eth bases for my mercenary in the low levels. Around this time, I saw @pharphis twitch stream, and he showed me a ton of really cool 1.07 items. Since I needed the bases, and the ravenclaw, I decided to start in 1.07.

I had problems returning to 1.14 where all my main characters were due to the way the two versions interact. So I moved my 1.14 off computer to a separate hard drive, installed with Bliss version switcher, made my shopping list, and off I went. (Edit: For anyone relevant, it is possible to have all versions installed through Bliss Version Switcher, and then 1.14 installed separately, and to have them coexist on their computer. You have to be careful, though)

ITEMS
I made a haul pic, although 2 shakos, 1 wizspike, and 1 skullder's is missing because I moved Aeon to 1.09 before I had the idea :( Would have been far more impressive with the complete bunch, but whatever!

View attachment 3912

Unfortunately for me, that represents about 80 hours of racking, but here's my run counter (warning, big picture)

Check out that balrog skin luck. 666 runs and 2 hours for 3 arkaine's valors. I spent more time rolling maps for a balrog skin rack than I did actually finding 3 unique balrog skins. I'm sure lots of runs are missing from the counter (notably, thousands of shako rack runs) although I tried to keep it on at all times. I know some racks I ran are completely missing from the list.

RUNES
I am glad that they increased rune drops because they are so rare in this patch. It is unreal. I found 3 hel runes in my entire time in 1.07, few enough to get a place in my haul picture.

View attachment 3914

So basically just enough to make an ohm, so if I hellforge rush some for a mal and an ist I'll be all set on the beta CTA. Only one shot at it though. I found an okay base (+3 holy shield war scepter) which I think I'll use to make it. Also, I video recorded finding that Vex - pretty cool considering I don't ever record. Fired it up, 1 minute in I find a vex.

Final Thoughts

I disliked 1.07 a lot in the beginning. I played an entire weekend, maybe 32 hours in 2 days. At the end of day 1, I was only level 29. My mercenary had maybe 80% of all kills. By the end of day 2, I had almost no items and was level 44 or something. It was awful. The first real consistent rares I found were from running NM LK.

Once I found some gear from racking, it got a bit better. I crafted a bugged high mana per kill ring, 36 mana per kill! That made things a lot easier. Then I just dug in on racking. I tried for a short bit to run some bosses, I tried running nm trav, I tried running hell trav. Everything was difficult.

Now looking back I consider it a growing experience. I spent a lot of time reading and researching about time travel in general, about items, about builds, about different patches. I spent time planning out what I was going to do with what I was getting. I think my fortitude for doing thousands of the same runs over and over has greatly increased. I'm definitely going to be trying to 99 a character this winter, I have plans for a unique take on a common build.

I did rush a few sorcies to leave behind in case I want to get some things I missed, so there's always a chance I'll be back playing this version again!

Future plans: 1.09 Ravenclaw, build beta CtA, farm a beta BKWB, and forward to 1.14 again.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Geez, and I've yet to find a gul from LK!

So you forwarded your 1.07 char to 1.09? ;(

Geez, and I've yet to find a gul from LK!

So you forwarded your 1.07 char to 1.09? ;(

Yes. Yesterday I rushed 7 characters to act 4 hell, and 2 sorceresses all the way before I did it though. I started leveling one of those to wear wizspike but stopped partway through since I don't really want to run any more racks right now hah! But it'll still be there for when I decide I need some more junk. The thing is, I want this character to travel through the rest of the patches, hence the name Aeon. I got a thing for 4 letter character names, and the link between a time traveling character and the name Aeon was too good to pass up.

I'm also not sure what the end game for this character is - I'm thinking 99 out in 1.14. I'm not sure if it'd be allowed in the 1.10+ 99 thread since obviously it's level 83 now. I mean, 83 is pretty easy in 1.14, but it's pretty hard in 1.07. I actually tried not to level her too much, but ran into that whole not being able to wear wizspike when I found it thing. Poor planning haha.

Seriously? 3x Arkaine? I hate you..

Also, take those Um runes to 1.10 to make some Beta 'Crescent Moon'

Nice haul though!!!

Hey thanks for the idea. I had thought about making other beta runewords but didn't want to invest too much extra time. I thought about bramble since I have those two Lo's, but I don't think there's much use for it, as far as I've read? Except maybe as a neat toy. But yeah I think I'll look at doing that. Now that I think of it I'll probably have extra Ums from hellforge rushing for that mal/ist. Or at least I hope I will. Oh hey, I farmed up that third arkaine's with the idea of trading it eventually ;) (big update coming to my trade post).

Last edited:
just as a note, you need warscepter/devine or caduceus for cta-scepter

impressive runefinds tho :O

i dont know, but i would keep the Los in 07, 20%ds yummy

just as a note, you need warscepter/devine or caduceus for cta-scepter

impressive runefinds tho :O

i dont know, but i would keep the Los in 07, 20%ds yummy

Sorry, I said grand scepter but what I meant is war scepter -

Code:
Superior War Scepter
One-Hand Damage: 11 to 19
Durability: 54 of 79
Required Strength: 55
Required Level: 24
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x29f06d39
+15% Enhanced Damage
Increase Maximum Durability 13%
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only)
+1 to Sanctuary (Paladin Only)
150% Damage to Undead

Like pharphis suggested to me, I SHOULD get one with a useful second skill but I'm not so sure I want to spend the time looking for another war scepter rack. And this one is kind of cool, although the 15% ed is useless it's still cool...

I'd keep the Lo's there but I'm not sure I'll be playing much 1.07 or 1.09 in general. At least not much outside rack/chest running.

Congratulations. I'm struggling to get past level 17. What you've accomplished is commendable.

Pretty cool! Especially that scepter.

Incidentally, you can get the bugged ravenclaw in 1.07. Though, since you've got a char in 1.09 now, it's probably faster/easier there anyway. IIRC, The ATMA drop calc should be accurate enough to give you some targets (either version).

Congratulations. I'm struggling to get past level 17. What you've accomplished is commendable.

Yeah man I feel you. I feel you. Keep struggling, get to 30. It'll be much better (at least if you're playing sorceress!).

Pretty cool! Especially that scepter.

Incidentally, you can get the bugged ravenclaw in 1.07. Though, since you've got a char in 1.09 now, it's probably faster/easier there anyway. IIRC, The ATMA drop calc should be accurate enough to give you some targets (either version).

I definitely tried to get a 1.07 ravenclaw because I thought why not. I was aiming for the high MF breakpoint (547 or something?) but it really turned into a pain for me and I was unsure of why in the first place I wanted to do it. I had the gear for running racks, which accomplished my goal of getting what I needed, so I didn't see too much reason to spend time.

And actually, after I forwarded my char to 1.09, I got going on hell meph right away just so I could look at some unique drops (oh how I've missed you), and check it out, first run THIS DROPS. It's already forwarded to 1.14 :):):)

Code:
Raven Claw
Long Bow
Two Hand Damage: 4 - 16
Durability: 21 of 28
Required Level: 15
Required Strength: 22
Required Dexterity: 19
Fingerprint: 0x372be34f
Item Level: 90
Version: Expansion
Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts
65% Enhanced Damage
50% Bonus to Attack Rating
+3 to Strength
+3 to Dexterity

I tried it out on a fresh-faced 1.14 sorceress for kicks. I set the mood with some really sick Electronic Dance Music, and /players 8 and just cut loose. I have got to tell you, it's super fun running through the flayer jungle with it, I highly recommend it.

Well done !!!

I'd think you would be ok to join the 99er journey with your Sorc. She was started from scratch and played untwinked, that's what counts. As you say yourself, it took you much more time than it would have in 1.13 or 1.14. Zticazzy joined the journey later as well, with a character that was well in it's 90's at the time.

Just my 2 cents though ...

I had not thought about trading them, but I will now thank you! Crafting gets me super down. The whole process is not fun for me. Picking stuff up, shuffling it around so much. I just don't like it. The dedication it takes to get good crafts is beyond my abilities, I think. I have a caveman brain. earlier this year I tried to craft a good 1.13 caster amulet. I blew through my entire 4 years worth of rals and amethysts and basically got nothing from it. That is very discouraging.

there's a lot of stuff that's usable. but it's pretty hard to get stuff that beats the options when nearly anything is an option. My head still lives in 1.14 with my huge stash. But I guess that's the problem when you play a game so long. getting something better takes exponentially more work. 9 fals is really nothing though. My hope for crafting greater crafts in 07 is next to none when staring at the amount of work it took to get that pittance. Fals were by far my rarest crafting rune though, I had a whole bunch of Po's and shae's and sols and etc.

Prismatic ammys though. blah. I'll have to set aside a day or something and just go to town on it. Too much cubing!!

Last edited:
I made sure to cube all my flawlesss as I get them, so that way there's like 4x less muling

My Flawless gems will go to 1.10a to re-roll Runic Talons. But all that moving gems across is extremely tedious in ATMA.

Three sockets. Check out Grip's claws in his Artemis thread.
You can't do GTs because of the qlvl though.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High