Monopoly Forum Game #1 - Game Over - D2DC wins.

Pandemic lends itself to a lot of actions. I bet there could be a way to forumize it.
Yea, each player has to make gameplay decisions on their turn, but plenty of opportunities for discussion/debate with other players.

The difficult thing would be posting the map/virus spread each turn. Maybe I could just take a picture of the actual gameboard.. :unsure:

Some thoughts as to how the game went.

1. From behind the scenes, in case someone contemplates running something like this:

The formatted chart with all the properties was a cut and paste off of https://www.monopolyland.com/ I forget where on that site that I found it. I copy and pasted it into word and then from word onto the forums. The table as seen but not colored auto formatted when first pasted on the forums. That's where a problem arises. In order to edit and cut or copy and past newer and updated versions as the game goes on, the forum will not keep the tabled chart formatted. It will break. The way to get around this is to edit a previous version, save it and then turn off the formatting, and then copy past the raw code into a new post. Then turn formatting back on. Hopefully it should still be sorted the right way.

Adding extra rows and columns is difficult as they won't line up correctly.Well maybe they will but it's a headache trying to sort the whole thing out.

A dice app of some sort helps for manual rolling. I used one called RPG Simple Dice Plus (android version) for this purpose. the free version worked fine with no adds, but the paid version is much better and adds more functionality, more dice and multi sided dice.

I also had to have an image of the monopoly board from the same website to manually track where players were moving to. It also got to the point where I had to have up to three and sometimes four tabs oen on the forums. One was where I was either writing the rotation up or the stat post, the other was the last stat post so I could quickly tab out and check where to start players moving from without having to scroll up and down. Third tab was usually open to the property chart so i could quickly chweck who owned what and who owed who how much without getting lost. Occasional fourth tab for looking at a new post if it popped up or checking a PM or going back tot he initial opening posts to check who originally owned what or look at the railroads.

I made up a few things as I went, the initial start cards on the first page quickly became obsolete as I went through things as the info there was tracked in the stat posts.

This game was difficult to run with 5 people, and would be a logistical headache with 8.

2. During the game and dealing with the players themselves:

Some of the people playing this game made it difficult to run for both me hosting and for other players to actually play. I know we all have things going on in IRL, but if I or anyone else decides to do something like this again, some changes will have to be made as far as participation goes.

If you know you won't be able to check in semi regularly on a daily basis to both track the game progress and or respond to trade offers, then please don't sign up to play. It's not fair to the others.

I fully realize that while playing Monopoly IRL, not trading at all is a valid strategy, someone saying that they will trade with someone else and then just not responding again isn't fair. That's why i put down a time limit on a player to respond or follow through when another player offered a trade. However, it seems like this was ignored, either unintentionally or intentionally. So, in the future, and if i do run a game like this again, I'm going to be very strict on how trades work and will penalize player A for just leaving player B, C or D hanging. (Example Player A offers trade with player C and player C never responds, no action here, the trade will expire. However if Player A offers Player C a trade and Player C does something like "sure, I'll trade" and then does nothing, I will impose penalties, anything from monetary fines.... to in an extreme case modkilling and bankrupting the guilty party out of the game.

The game went the way it did (D2DC gaining pretty much immortality) for two main reasons:

1. Leo allowed D2DC to start his rise to power, linked here:

While this in itself is not bad per se, Leo never really developed her properties beyond a house or two while D2DC went full tilt.

2. What really doomed the other players was how the trade(s) between the other players played out. Some players like coju wanted to openly trade with others, while other players like Noodle seemed to just idle with an occasional post. This helped D2DC into a slow but sure win. Skjolde seems absent, I'm not sure what happened there but as the game went on, he seemed to be not around much.

3. So like i said, no one has to trade, but if someone says that they will trade with another player and then never follows through, they will be penalized for this.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High