Mafia game thread

I don't want to vote for TC because of the reasons I stated before.

There was something feeling wrong and I finally found out what. We have had 3 claimed roleblocks from the Harrys, but only 2 claimed watchers from the Teds. I haven't had the ability. So either Mal has had it or there is a 5th Ted.

The first Harry reported powers the night Harry entered the sphere (three nights worth of powers ago). The first Ted reported powers the night Ted entered the sphere (two nights worth of powers ago). We've yet to hear from a Beth (one nights worth of powers ago). No Norman has claimed any powers but I don't expect any until Norman is "recruited."

Okay, I've been reading this while I was out and about today, but now that I'm back and the day is almost over I'm going to place my vote. Gwaihir's analysis seems sound so far. We MAY even be able to use this as a tool to determine how many of each NAME we have. aka: how long it takes for me to get the role again, assuming it goes in order. If people speak up about getting an ability one night so that if they're killed in the future we can still use this info to find the loop, the mafia may be done for. It just means we need to be extra careful about how much info we leave the mafia, and whether we believe they get the ability pm as well.

About Laarz,
I'm happy with his claim and I feel comfortable enough assuming for now that the mafia don't get the ability pm as well. When he said that he blocked TC I somehow did not make the connection to there being no kill that night. I suppose I just assumed there might not have been one because it was N1, and the story hadn't progressed much by that point, but I think it's worth testing TC. His limited posting helps me with my revote, too.

Unvote: Val
Vote: Chunderwonder.

Recruitment angle seems a pretty good bet right now, especially given the last flavor. This leads me to wonder how many mafia we could expect to begin with in a recruitment scenario, so I will leave that question open to the more experienced players. If we can take that number, add those that have entered the Sphere, assuming it is just one of each "team"...?

Traditionally, mafia recruitment replaces the NK. Mafia target a spy/traitor with a NK to recruit them. If this is the case, someone might have been recruited N1. Other no-kill nights might indicate other recruitment.

Occasionally (Black Blood Brothers, Rudolph) mafia have a more open ended recruitment where they can recruit a townie but not a specifically designated spy/traitor. The BBB recruitment could occur along with a NK but that recruitment was limited to a single player. I don't remember if the Rudolph recruitment could happen at the same time as a NK or in place of it, but again, recruitment was limited to a single townie. If this is the case, there should be a limit to the number of recruits.

Cultafia's (Replicators of the first Stargate game) traditionally recruit until some condition is met. Then they stop recruitment and start night killing. If this is the case, then again, there is a single recruit.

The closest setup that comes to mafia recruiting and killing is from YAWP's WoW themed RPG game. However, the town could also recruit. Vanilla Townies (recruitable players) started that game neutral rather than affiliated with either faction. Sathoris really didn't like that setup and I don't think he'd emulate that game.

I can buy that "recruitment" activates powers and/or chooses the hitman. I have severe doubts about full blown recruitment in addition to night kills.

You think I'm scum though, so let's work with that. But then why believe what I said about ignoring character claims? The only possible explanation is that you suspected I both lied about my setup theories and that I lied about my role. But that doesn't make any sense, since I'm the one that called attention to it. If I was lying, why would I bother drawing attention to my lies?

You could be scum and still be telling the truth about your name. You might lie about the "recruitment" and that only Harry, Ted and/or Beth could be hitman. You might lie about mafia lying about their names.

The only way blocking a Norman sounds strange to me is if I first accept that Norman can't be a hitman. But I guess this is just my imagination talking.

This is probably the best answer I'm going to get. It would have been believable if it was mentioned along with the initial "why coju" pontifications or in answer to my initial question. I would have also been happy with a list of players you thought were so townie that mafia would resort to a NK rather than lymch attempt. Instead I saw delays and deflections I might see if mafia made up a question to appear townie but neither though about nor cared about the answers.

Also, why did coju not appear as one of the majorities in post 553?

I think you have that backwards. If I were mafia it would be easy as hell to throw out a townie name. Yes, I did not have Coju on my scum list. Look at post 551 and he was tied for third in votes.

As for the list of players that are so town: probably equal to your list, provided you aren't scum. And that is just myself.

I might be dumb or whatever and not get it, but why are we lynching a Norman?. There are better alternatives in Val (a Harry) or Mal (a Ted). Yes, I read the arguments about fake claiming and anything else. No Norman has entered the sphere yet, so In my opinion he can't be mafia however scummy he looks.

Damn it, I've been prodded. I shouldn't have signed, way too busy, but I haven't played the last few games, so didn't want to miss out; though break. Anyway, not enough time for me to hyper-quote all the last day's comments as I'd wanto to, so here goes a super resumed version:

I have got only one PM, which I posted. I have not received any other messages, either from mod or players, so I don't really get where this mason thing is coming from. I think it's very unlikely the "split characters" would be able to talk to each other, because if any of them becomes mafia, all the others would know. Also, I have a big concern about the endgame, and two theories about the nature of this game's mafia team, which might have been suggested by someone else...

[highlight]1)[/highlight] The game started with the mafia team composed of one of every character, after which every night when a character enters, then powers start to be activated and rotating between the persona.

[highlight]2)[/highlight] The game started with no mafia and Harry was included when entering the Sphere. Subsequent characters entering have and will add a team member to the mafia.

If the second theory is the ruling one, then I'm scared of a potential outcome... What is the size limit of the Mafia team? Does it stop growing after one of every character has entered the Sphere, or does it keep growing indefinitely? Can we lose if we don't succeed in weeding out the scum?

Do we know that Laarz was the only one with an ability on that night?
We can't know if someone else had a N1 action unless they speak up. No one has.

How do we know that somebody else didn't roleblock another player to prevent the NK and just hasn't come forward?
Mafia shouldn't roleblock the mafia hitman without help from roles like a busdriver. Another roleblocker could have roleblocked another player but no one has claimed as much. A doc could have saved someone but again, no one has claimed.

The hitman could have neglected to send in the kill (was TC also the one who speculated that?). I'm curious why the recruitment believers haven't looked into who might not have been online to send in a kill between recruitment time and kill submission time.

Could this just be a clever attempt by Laarz to eliminate a townie?
Yes.

If I take Laarz at his word, then TC looks to be in trouble, but could Laarz be lying here?
Yes. It's also worth mentioning that TC could be townie with no ability to block. TC could even be mafia and not be the hitman.

Not pushing and repeating that he seemed to have successfully role blocked somebody is giving me great concern.
I have the same question regarding mafia. A townie getting roleblocked on a night with no NK is almost always a free lynch. It's pretty risk free for mafia. If TC is townie, why didn't mafia play it up more? If Laarz is mafia, why didn't he play it up more?

The best explanation I can come up with is that mafia know details such as who can or can't be hitman on certain nights and they know TC couldn't be hitman that night. Maybe they want to stay silent about the subject rather than stick their necks out.

Why are we only going for this now?
Apparently, close to 10 players missed the initial claim. If TC flips scum, I'm taking a close look at those players.

I might be dumb or whatever and not get it, but why are we lynching a Norman?. There are better alternatives in Val (a Harry) or Mal (a Ted). Yes, I read the arguments about fake claiming and anything else. No Norman has entered the sphere yet, so In my opinion he can't be mafia however scummy he looks.
I don't buy the theory that only the names who entered the sphere could be scum. That would be way to easy of a set up.

IMO, any player could be scum, maybe TC is just vanilla scum? Still it's one less scum alive.
I feel the lynching based on character role claims is just bad way to hunt - we should be carrying out scum hunting like any other mafia game with the added knowledge of roles-claims. Not the other way around.

Go back and take a look at what TC said, I didn't think that it was role fishing at the time,just him saying how it didn't follow the movie line.
Have to pick up my grandson from school but I'll be back in a few.

Lets go the gory route here. Any reason you didn't claim the block until quite a bit later than it occurred?

If the second theory is the ruling one, then I'm scared of a potential outcome... What is the size limit of the Mafia team? Does it stop growing after one of every character has entered the Sphere, or does it keep growing indefinitely? Can we lose if we don't succeed in weeding out the scum?

If recruitment doesn't stop, then the town, quite literally, can't win. Every night a townie gets recruited and most nights a townie dies. Meanwhile, town can only lynch one scum a day. Even if a scum is lynched every day, another recruitment at the end of the day replaces them. Town can never "catch up" and eliminate all the scum.

I don't buy the theory that only the names who entered the sphere could be scum. That would be way to easy of a set up.

IMO, any player could be scum, maybe TC is just vanilla scum? Still it's one less scum alive.
I feel the lynching based on character role claims is just bad way to hunt - we should be carrying out scum hunting like any other mafia game with the added knowledge of roles-claims. Not the other way around.

What is "vanilla scum"? And Ithink we need to use the story Sath tells. It's what the town gets as hints. He said that.

My theory is the sphere grants powers to those who enter it. What reasons do you have to show that only characters in the sphere are recruited?

Crap, more quotes but out of time. tomorrow then.

What is "vanilla scum"? And Ithink we need to use the story Sath tells. It's what the town gets as hints. He said that.

Plain scum. So Norman can be scum, but maybe he can't be hitman (yet). Terminology to work around people saying norman can't be scum.

Night 4

Norman woke up just like any other time in the habitat, fearful and increasingly wary of the others. However this time he knew exactly why he felt that way. There’s no denying it anymore; Harry, Ted and Beth all entered the Sphere without consulting the others or without even fully understanding its powers; more importantly however, the inability to control it. Not me, Norman thought. However he never got rid of that little niggle that he might be wrong. What if their thoughts about the space craft being American and from the future have affected their judgement? Did Harry’s bit about it not being possible to leave this place got to them? Have they indirectly been causing all this mayhem because they know there’s no way up?
How will I react? Norman pondered this question for a while. The inability to control this thing coupled with the determination of never escaping means we don’t stand a chance. No matter how many good and helpful things we may think of. Unless… Unless we eliminate the shadow side within all of us long enough to survive this storm…

Norman decided to think it over whilst he made his way to the Sphere. He still had no idea what was actually inside. Something must happen inside, something must.

Norman stood in front of the Sphere; he gazed upon the massive golden orb with its liquidly surface. He actually hadn’t taken a second look since they first found it. It really was impressive, worthy of its gift. Norman closed his eyes, imagined the Sphere opening and opened his eyes. The Sphere was open, and he entered.

Norman has entered the Sphere.

“Anybody here?”
I am here.
He almost jumps, it is so loud. Or it seems loud. Then he wonders if he has heard anything at all.
“Did you speak?”
No.
How are we communicating? he wonders.
The way everything communicates with everything else.
Which way is that?
Why do you ask if you already know the answer?
But I don’t know the answer.
Are you there?
Yes.
I thought you had gone away.
There is nowhere to go.
Who are you?
I am not a who.
Are you God?
God is a word
I mean, are you a higher being, or a higher consciousness?
Higher than what?
Higher than me, I suppose.
How high are you?
Pretty low. At least, I imagine so.
Well, then, that’s your answer.
I find you difficult to talk to. Will you give me the power?
What power?
The power you gave to Harry, Ted and Beth. The power to make things happen by imagination. Will you give it to me?
No
Why not?
Because you already have it.
I don’t feel as if I have it.
I know.
Then how is it that I have the power?
How did you get in here?
I imagined the door opening.
Yes.
After a passage of time, he thinks, I am sorry, but I wish you would just explain and stop speaking in riddles.
On your planet you have an animal called a bear. It is a large animal, sometimes larger than you, and it is clever and has ingenuity, and it has a brain as large as yours. But the bear differs from you in one important way. It cannot perform the activity you call imagining. It cannot make mental images of how reality might be. It cannot envision what you call the past and what you call the future. This special ability of imagination is what has made your species as great as it is. Nothing else. It is not your ape-nature, not your tool-using nature, not your language or your violence or your caring for young or your social groupings. It is none of these things, which are all found in other animals. Your greatness lies in imagination.
The ability to imagine is the largest part of what you call intelligence. You think the ability to imagine is merely a useful step on the way to solving a problem or making something happen. But imagining it is what makes it happen
This is the gift of your species and this is the danger, because you do not choose to control your imaginings. You imagine wonderful things and you imagine terrible things, and you take no responsibility for the choice. You say you have inside you both the power of good and the power of evil, the angel and the devil, but in truth you have just thing inside of you; the ability to imagine.
I hope you enjoyed this speech, which I plan to give at the next meeting of the American Association of Psychologists and Social Workers, which is meeting in Houston in March. I feel it will be quite well received.
What? he thinks, startled.
Who did you think you were talking to? God?
Who is this? he thinks.
You, of course.
But you are somebody different from me, separate. You are not me, he thinks.
Yes I am. You imagined me.
Tell me more.
There is no more

Norman never felt more confident. Finally he knew exactly what needed to be done. He knew he had great control over his imagination. Consciously he could refrain from giving into fears, be they physical or mental; especially when he knows what the consequences will be. However there is always the subconscious. No person has ever managed to control their subconscious. That is out of my control, Norman thought. When I tell the others how we must guard each other from our shadow side I’m sure they’ll be able to track me just as I do them.
As soon as Norman left the airlock and made his way back to the common room he was confronted by Harry.

“I’ve found him!” Harry yelled, “he’s in the hallway leading to the airlock”
“Where have you been, Norman?” Harry said with an anxious face. Meanwhile Ted and Beth found their way to them.
“I went inside the Sphere, Harry. Just as you all went in before me.” Harry took a nervous glance at Ted and Beth, who just looked back at Norman.
“I’ve had my suspicions about the three of you for a while and I don’t think you fully understand what this power can do. Nor do I think you three can consciously control this thing. Now being a psychologist I think I may have an advantage here in control.”
“Oh really Norman, what if your knowledge on the matter only reinforces the dread that we’ve all been having and concluded that we won’t leave this place. Next thing you’ll be telling us to kill ourselves so we won’t wreak havoc on the world.” Ted responded with an aggressive undertone.
“I must admit, it had crossed my mind, and if all options fail it might come to that.”
“I knew it; I’m not letting you ruin my life Norman!” Harry hissed back.
Harry and Ted flew into Norman as Beth took a step backwards and closed her eyes. As if content with what the future held for them, then she collected herself and decided this is not how we will end our stay here.

By the time she pulled them away from each other Norman had a black eye and wobbled on his legs. Harry and Ted both received a couple of punches but were all right.

“We will not resort to physical violence as long as we have free will damnit!” Beth sobbed.
“Thanks Beth,” Norman sighed, “I’m going to need you when we all sit down together”
Norman only said those last words loud enough for Beth to hear, afterwards he passed out.
“We’re going to sit down together when Norman wakes up and we’re going to decide how to survive down here. We all have to be open and truthful. I know we all went in secretly and therefore hoping it would give ourselves an edge, but that also reinforced our paranoia and fear.” Beth commanded.
“You’re right, Beth.” Ted said shakily, “This isn’t us; we’re intelligent and civilized people.”
Harry agreed. “We’ll discuss what to do when Norman comes round.”
“I’ll take him to his bunk and make sure he’s okay for when he wakes up.” Beth assured.

Thundercat has been lynched. He was Norman Johnson, town.

---

Time to clear a few things up to make sure you lot don’t spend unnecessary attention on the mechanics as I feel it might have gotten a bit out of control, which victimises the scum hunting.

All the characters have entered the Sphere. The mafia team is now complete, as are all the roles in the game. Again, randomization is a key, key element in this game. You will learn no further things from studying the mechanics.

Results of powers will be in the stories; you will notice them as being fairly obvious. Anything circumspect is probably just my imagination (heh) in the stories and not any abilities.

I will also inform you that kill flavours are exclusive to the character performing the NK. Again you will notice a different kill flavour as it relates to the character performing the kill.

Lastly, the inactivity rule has been adjusted. You now have to make at least several contributively posts. One post near the end of the day phase won’t cut it anymore.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High