Mafia game thread

If recruitment doesn't stop, then the town, quite literally, can't win. Every night a townie gets recruited and most nights a townie dies. Meanwhile, town can only lynch one scum a day. Even if a scum is lynched every day, another recruitment at the end of the day replaces them. Town can never "catch up" and eliminate all the scum.
So the question is... Will the characters stop "entering" the sphere once one of each has? Will the stopping of the entering indicate that the Mafia team has been completed? Can the Mafia recruit on their own? (As in, "Hey Beth let's take a walk to the sphere, mmmkay?")

I might be dumb or whatever and not get it, but why are we lynching a Norman?. There are better alternatives in Val (a Harry) or Mal (a Ted). Yes, I read the arguments about fake claiming and anything else. No Norman has entered the sphere yet, so In my opinion he can't be mafia however scummy he looks.

This assumes the recruitment mechanism, still. How many of us believe it is recruitment? It just seems unlikely to me :/

Besides, the main reason for voting TC is that Laarz blocked him on a night with no NK (with no other explanation as to why there wasn't a NK unless the mafia just didn't start killing until after N1).

Day 4

It was a sad sight, Beth thought. Seeing Harry and Ted sitting at the dining table, staring into the blackness of the ocean outside the habitat. Beth decided to join them. None of them spoke for a lengthy time. Then Ted broke the deadlock.

“I guess it’s safe to say you’re responsible for Jerry and the Squid, Harry. I don’t blame you; they were both likely outcomes of going down this deep to investigate an unknown space craft; an alien intelligence and a long standing monster of the deep seas. I’m afraid what will happen next now that we’ve pinned the squid on you and we’re all free to bring out our own dark fantasies. I mean your squid occupied all of fears until now.”
“I don’t need your sympathy Ted, it’s hard enough being humiliated like this. I mean a giant squid. That’s stuff kids think of.”
“I wouldn’t feel too bad about that, Harry,” Norman joined them, “having a physical presence be the manifestation of your fear is a lot easier to handle than someone’s mental fears. At least having a physical enemy means we can join forces and defend ourselves from something we know. As Ted said, I’m more afraid of the unknown facing us now. It could happen to any of us and wouldn’t know who manifested it. The squid attacked Harry just the same as us.”
“Now that we all know we’re capable of evil and good manifestations it’s time we prepare ourselves. We have no idea how long this storm will go on for, it could still be days. Matter of fact, I have no idea how long we’ve even been down here.”
A small flicker of panic overcame Beth, what if we’ve already been down here too long? The
Navy didn’t count on us being down here for so long on internal power.
“We should be okay, our air gets recycled and scrubbed and the electricity,” Norman stopped, “I actually don’t know about the electricity. We used the defence system and the squid might have damaged stuff. I suggest we first clear this up and all check the generators and scrubbers. I’ll take A-cylinder, Ted B-cylinder. Beth C and Harry D.”

They all walked off, except Beth. I could handle a giant squid, but to slowly die down here. I don’t think I can handle that, Beth thought. She quietly made her way to C-cylinder and checked the generator. At current rate of consumption there were only a few days left before the scrubbers would fail to provide enough oxygen. No, I’m not going to wait in agony here until we all die from suffocation, she decided. She wanted the machines to pump all the air out of her room and into the remaining cylinders. The emergency doors closed. It won’t be long now, she thought. And for the first time she felt at ease, it didn’t matter that the scrubber would continue to work for weeks. She didn’t need to know that.

“Help! I’m stuck in here and I think the scrubber is failing!” Ted screamed. No one responded, there was no intercom in this section of the habitat. Ted started to panic. He couldn’t think logically anymore and started to hyperventilate. His hand started to tingle and he felt light-headed. He knew this was a result of a lack of oxygen and coupled with his surroundings and the door closing he thought the worst. “Help me, I’m dying in here!” He slowly fell down on the ground.

In the next cylinder Beth thought she heard someone scream. She initially dismissed it, but then she was sure she heard it again and this time she made out the word ‘dying’. Realising it came from the room next to her she realized her grave mistake. B and C-cylinder were connected! Which meant Ted was going to die too. She couldn’t live with that consequence. The emergency lock was disengaged and she opened the door and rushed towards B-cylinder. She saw Ted on the ground. She could just catch Ted’s eyes and saw he was still conscious. She opened the emergency door and grabbed an oxygen tank from the wall and helped Ted up.

“It’s okay Ted, you must’ve had a panic attack and hyperventilated.” She took a quick glance at the scrubber which had all the green lights on. “The scrubber is okay, there’s nothing wrong with the air here.”
“Thank. You. Beth” Ted said while taking gasps of air in between words. “I’m okay again, I guess I did panic. I’m okay now though. Thanks again, Beth. You saved my life.”
“No problem, Ted.” Beth said. “You’re a lucky man.”
“What happened Ted? You look a little white.” Norman entered the room.
“Oh, hi, erm, I fainted, Norman,” Ted lied, “Must be the compression down here. I never really got used to it. Luckily for me Beth heard me fall and helped me up.”
“Yeah, lucky for you.” Beth repeated uneasily.
“Well, good thing Beth was around to help you up.” Norman reassured. “Harry’s back in the common room, all generators and scrubbers okay in your cylinders too?”
“Yeah, we’re okay.” Beth answered.

Harry was sitting in the common room. He had last year studied the art of meditation and thought this would be a great time to start again. Anything to block his mind off from thinking about anything evil, he thought. It seemed to be working, no Jerry, no squid. Just emptiness.

“I think I’ll join him, perhaps we can discuss the whole black hole theory again. You know to occupy our minds.” Ted grinned.
“Good idea. We’ll continue our meeting after dinner I guess. See you in an hour.” Norman and Beth left separately.

Ted didn’t actually went to talk with Harry. He took his usual spot next to the door and started to watch Harry. Ted realised he was meditating and thought that perhaps he should try it. He tried it for a couple of minutes, but he clearly didn’t have the discipline. Oh well, he thought, nothing happening is good enough. He left Harry alone.

Norman meanwhile went back to his bed and decided how to go forward from here on. He didn’t yet know what his deepest fear was down here, and if it will come out at all. Then he wondered whether he would even come forward if his evil manifestations came out. How does one rationally confront their irrational fear, he thought. Norman decided to push it to the back of his mind and deal with it at an appropriate time. For now he decided the best way to find out who does what is to keep a close eye on all of them and see where they go when they manifest their evil thoughts. He could imagine all kind of helpful ways for him to accomplish that and decided to try one of them on himself to see if it would work. It did, Norman realised. Although me being me, I already know I’m not doing anything evil tonight, he smiled. Then his face turned solemn again.

Last edited:
So, I guess Sathoris pretty much cleared the issues. I still have a doubt, though... Aren't four players (one "shard" of each character) somewhat low for a mafia team? Considering we started with 21 players, it would seem to me that a standard mafia team would consist of around 5 members, plus the usual neutral one. This makes me think a Beth is lying. Logic would tell me that the standard distribution would be 5 shards per characters plus either an extra neutral role or and additional shard for Norman, since he's like the leader in the book / film. Having just 4 Teds and 6 Beths makes no much sense to me.

So, as for last night, I got the blocker role. My first instinct was to block one of the other Harrys, but the question was which one. I initially wanted to follow Goryani's hunch and target Laarz, but after reviewing his', Pharphis' and TheFranklin's posts, I came to the conclusion that Frank's hostility towards the other shards and his reasoning for voting Thundercat (particularly the comments made on posts #678 and #707), made me believe he was the most likely to be scum. Here's my role PM:

Blocker Role

You always knew you would be the first to unlock the Sphere’s secrets. You’re by far the smartest guy in the group. Norman is only here to analyze us smarter people. Beth thinks muscle is power; she won’t know how to handle real power. Ted is just a small child, too nice, too naïve. Nonetheless this power could make any of them rival me as long as we can’t control it. They have to be stopped; this power can never leave this place.

Tonight and tonight only you can target one person and make sure that none of their manifestations will come out that night.

I just checked my pm to check that it is exact to mine from when I got the pm for the blocker ability, and it is exact. (the one I posted had some small differences, which Laarz also pointed out).

Okay, now I'm wondering why it saved that Beth saved Ted in the story. The story flavor suggests Beth tried to kill Ted, and also saved him, which really isn't that unreasonable.

Do we have any Beth's that can shed light on this?

Wait, thought about his a bit more.

Val blocked a Harry, and in the story his manifestations didn't come out because of meditation. though, Norman said he knew nothing would come out for him. So which is it? did Norman watch himself? I need to have another look at this after dinner.

If a Norman did watch another Norman it was either CG or Solar, I didn't get any PM last night.

So Beth killed and saved at the same time? A Harry got watched and blocked? This is weird. I don't get from the story what Norman did. And no, don't post it.

^That's what I got out of that. It does seem like a Ted watched a Harry, and a Harry blocked a Harry lol. Norman did something to himself? I can't really get much else off the story other than that, because I don't know what abilities they have.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Beth's have a doc ability. Normans could have a cop ability, and that might be what they used. It also might represent tha balancing of the game a bit, as beth and norman started to get their abilities last, by the looks of it. Aside from that, 4 does sound like a low number of mafia players.

^That's what I got out of that. It does seem like a Ted watched a Harry, and a Harry blocked a Harry lol. Norman did something to himself? I can't really get much else off the story other than that, because I don't know what abilities they have.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Beth's have a doc ability. Normans could have a cop ability, and that might be what they used. It also might represent tha balancing of the game a bit, as beth and norman started to get their abilities last, by the looks of it. Aside from that, 4 does sound like a low number of mafia players.

I agree with all you say there except the Norman bit. If it is a cop ability, then he misused it big time using it on himself or any other Norman.

I think the whole lay down is something like this:

Beth tried to kill Ted
Beth saved a Ted
Harry blocked a Harry
Ted watched a Harry
Norman tracked a Norman

I'm thinking the Norman role is a tracker because of this part:
"see where they go when they manifest their evil thoughts."

I agree with all you say there except the Norman bit. If it is a cop ability, then he misused it big time using it on himself or any other Norman.

If it was, why would he have misused it big time considering that after last night all of the characters have entered the sphere? I'm not quite sure where you are getting that from.

I would assume that Norman would get a different ability than watcher (to keep it unique). I also have a theory that I feel is sound,

Sath, Day4:
Although me being me, I already know I’m not doing anything evil tonight, he smiled.
Leads me to believe that mafia didn't get a chance to kill (see below).

Sath Night 4:
All the characters have entered the Sphere. The mafia team is now complete, as are all the roles in the game. Again, randomization is a key, key element in this game. You will learn no further things from studying the mechanics.
So, my initial theory was incorrect. CG, you were right.
What this leads me to believe, is that each character name that entered, one (or more?) became mafia. This agrees with Sath statement of "Now the mafia team is complete". So, a Norman did become mafia last night.

Results of powers will be in the stories; you will notice them as being fairly obvious.
Important piece here. Something we all knew and have been looking at.

I will also inform you that kill flavours are exclusive to the character performing the NK. Again you will notice a different kill flavour as it relates to the character performing the kill.
Now here is the main part of my theory. Kill flavours. That means, when someone is NK'd we should be able to decipher which character name sent the kill. I don't think the hitman is one person per say. As with all of the powers that are sent out - they are randomly assigned. I theorize that even the mafia's hitman power is assigned randomly as well.

So lets say there is a mafia group of each 4 characters (4 seems small, I don't have that figured out at all). During the day, the mafia group is just 'Vanilla Scum', meaning, there is no hitman. But, each night, the hitman role is given out randomly to one of the mafia members and they are the ones who then send in the kill (but also, they may not get a role either, as it seems from today's story).

This would explain how there is flavour in the kills, as Sath said. Also, it would mean that when OMG and Coju died we should specifically be looking at Harry and Ted as the only people able to send in a kill.

I think it's an important mention, if the theory is correct.

Because there are other more interesting subjects to look at that 1 of the 3 Norman. None of them look scummy enough.
I'll have to google what a tracker is, I was thinking cop.

I think the whole lay down is something like this:

Beth tried to kill Ted
Beth saved a Ted
Harry blocked a Harry
Ted watched a Harry
Norman tracked a Norman

What do you make of Beth trying to kill herself though? Could she have meant to kill a Beth and it got switched to a Ted? Not quite sure how that role works, guess I should look it up heh.

Re: Night 4

All the characters have entered the Sphere. The mafia team is now complete, as are all the roles in the game. Again, randomization is a key, key element in this game. You will learn no further things from studying the mechanics.
This statement implies no additional recruitment but doesn't specify whether mafia completed via recruitment or some other mechanic. Regardless, no matter how mafia got there, mafia are there now.

Results of powers will be in the stories; you will notice them as being fairly obvious. Anything circumspect is probably just my imagination (heh) in the stories and not any abilities.
I didn't notice any roleblocking story stand out in the stories. Then again, a roleblocker doesn't normally receive any results. Likewise, a doc normally doesn't receive results yet last night's story seems to include those results. Can any Harry (or anyone else) find the roleblocking breadcrumbs in previous stories?

I will also inform you that kill flavours are exclusive to the character performing the NK. Again you will notice a different kill flavour as it relates to the character performing the kill.
There doesn't seem to be a kill flavor for N1. No NK sent in? Mafia weren't allowed to send in a NK? No Harry's are mafia?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High