It is announced THIS VERY MOMENT! Remake is coming!

... But yeah, they did confirm that ladder RWs are not meant for SP at the moment... :(
This is really disappointing to me, especially since there are the 'ladder only' uniques available in SP already! I feel like allowing the 'online only' content into single player would be a wonderful thing, including ubers, etc.

Ah well. The original game still stands, at least :)

[edit] would it really be so hard to just include a toggle at the start of the character creation? "Include ladder runewords?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Friiser
Well, if they manage to actually get rid of the bots entirely, I'd be tempted to go online, at least for the first few months. Depending on how they do the code, surely, someone will provide us with new versions of the tools we've all become accustomed to.

But yeah, they did confirm that ladder RWs are not meant for SP at the moment... :(
Ugh. This just feels like Blizzard giving this part of the D2 community the middle finger for no reason. No reason at all :mad: .

I've always assumed that content was withheld from Single Player because Blizzard wanted to be sure that they were only making the whole of the games content available to paying customers. Twenty years ago it was no problem to buy a physical copy (the only kind of copy there was), take the discs and install them on as many of your friends computers as you wanted. You could all play Single Player together but if you wanted all the content you'd need to get on Battle.net and so you'd all need to buy your own copy of the game.

Fast forward twenty years and physical copies of the game don't exist and Single Player appears as though it will be gated by having to go through Battle.net. So, ... if you're playing D2R Single Player, they know they've got your money ... why then are they withholding content (including things as basic as 17 year old runewords) ...

To echo @Grisu 's post back at #64: Who do we see about this? And how do we best go about seeing them and seeing that they see us?

Reactions: Friiser and Luhkoh
I like that it is looking to be a true remaster, not remake. Breakpoints, balance quirks etc are all being kept. It's based off of 1.14, which is nice.

My only gripe is the (current) intention not to open up ladder/online only stuff in single player. I think that I would be tempted into online play if enough of us in the community were doing so, but I think I would prefer an offline, but complete, version of the game.

Edit: Although a remaster and launching as if 1.14, they are changing some bugs (mana burn for example) and not others (Andariel quest, eth bugging). Also, some things, importantly including the ladder only stuff, is not currently being changed but they did say that they are open to changes if the community feeling is strong enough.

There is a decent megathread developing in the subreddit.

Edited edit: I'm also really disappointed that the D2R Prime Evil edition is just D2 + D3. I was expecting D2R + some cool merchandise or something. That's a major missed opportunity. Instead of playing even more on our nostalgia with some artwork or a figurine or something, we get a discount on possibly the most disappointing video game I've ever played. Eugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vildecor and Grisu
On a new note... I wonder what people's thoughts are on how we would split the forum threads in terms of D2 and D2R, since they won't be exactly the same and some people might stick to D2.

I'm thinking specifically things like the Mat/Pat/Gua thread. On one hand, I think that a new D2R thread would be really nice, with the current one kept as a legacy thread (or just kept if people are still playing original D2). Then again, there is so much forum history in that thread, it really would need to be kept around. Pinned but closed?

Similarly, could tournaments be D2 and D2R friendly? If they are changing anything, which it looks like they will be, then they shouldn't be I think. Or at least separately marked entries.

Reactions: Grisu
Is it really that big of a deal that Ladder only RWs require a mod to be used? No different than now really, or past things such as CRM. Let us be honest with ourselves, the SPF is a very small niche part of D2, even more so that outside mods are prohibited here. Hell, Single player in any game that is multiplayer now a days is odd.

Heck I logged into Project D2 and they have 1100 people on right now (most unique I saw was around 5k or so). This site has less than 500 members. Even Llama if you watch his views is only a 100 or so people (Now he might get some publicity because of his Blizzcon appearance and lets face it under 2k people subbed in 6 years of streaming isn't amazing). To be quite honest, I'm enjoying using the same thing Llama is atm, but can't talk about it here (though I'd love to) but it isn't a forum accepted mod. It fits really nicely into a tournament I've hosted.

Diablo 2 outside of battle.net is not well received. Think about it, go tell someone you play D2 and they will bring up their time doing Baal runs, or cows, etc, they may have used the previous website for some information, but overall D2 was equated to battle.net, not Single player.

We should just be thankful it is allowing single player this day in age.

On a new note... I wonder what people's thoughts are on how we would split the forum threads in terms of D2 and D2R, since they won't be exactly the same and some people might stick to D2.

I'm thinking specifically things like the Mat/Pat/Gua thread. On one hand, I think that a new D2R thread would be really nice, with the current one kept as a legacy thread (or just kept if people are still playing original D2). Then again, there is so much forum history in that thread, it really would need to be kept around. Pinned but closed?

Similarly, could tournaments be D2 and D2R friendly? If they are changing anything, which it looks like they will be, then they shouldn't be I think. Or at least separately marked entries.
I don't know if it necessary to split the SPF - after all, as it stands now, there won't be major gameplay changes. So Crossover tournaments should be in the realm of possibility. After all, it has been a practice that SC player may participate in HC tournaments stating "SC" and quitting after the first death. So if the differences aren't too big, I'd say that we could open the same tournaments for both games. But we will see once the game hits the (digital) shelves.

But yeah, a seperate (sub-)forum might still be useful for D2R specific things like new bugs (gulp).

Good to see you back again, Kitteh! 😍

Is it really that big of a deal that Ladder only RWs require a mod to be used? No different than now really, or past things such as CRM. Let us be honest with ourselves, the SPF is a very small niche part of D2, even more so that outside mods are prohibited here. Hell, Single player in any game that is multiplayer now a days is odd.

Heck I logged into Project D2 and they have 1100 people on right now (most unique I saw was around 5k or so). This site has less than 500 members. Even Llama if you watch his views is only a 100 or so people (Now he might get some publicity because of his Blizzcon appearance and lets face it under 2k people subbed in 6 years of streaming isn't amazing). To be quite honest, I'm enjoying using the same thing Llama is atm, but can't talk about it here (though I'd love to) but it isn't a forum accepted mod. It fits really nicely into a tournament I've hosted.

Diablo 2 outside of battle.net is not well received. Think about it, go tell someone you play D2 and they will bring up their time doing Baal runs, or cows, etc, they may have used the previous website for some information, but overall D2 was equated to battle.net, not Single player.

We should just be thankful it is allowing single player this day in age.

It absolutely is. We don't know for sure that an appropriate mod will be available for D2R, and I assume not in advance. The reason we need these mods is that they failed to keep SP current with the rest of the game. Allowing these things (as far as I'm aware) in D2R shouldn't be a major hassle.

I agree that most people would think back to Bnet, but I also think a large part of that is because Bnet allowed you to have those extra things. Also, this site is not the entire SP community. I appreciate why Bnet would be their focus, but my point is that now is a great opportunity to bring SP up-to-date, and I see not reason not to do that.

Reactions: Luhkoh
I don't know if it necessary to split the SPF - after all, as it stands now, there won't be major gameplay changes. So Crossover tournaments should be in the realm of possibility. After all, it has been a practice that SC player may participate in HC tournaments stating "SC" and quitting after the first death. So if the differences aren't too big, I'd say that we could open the same tournaments for both games. But we will see once the game hits the (digital) shelves.

But yeah, a seperate (sub-)forum might still be useful for D2R specific things like new bugs (gulp).

Good to see you back again, Kitteh! 😍
Thank you! :)

I don't actually mean splitting the forum itself, I think that wasn't clear. I mean more on a thread level. It really depends what the final changes are, but in particular I'm thinking things like mana burn, which makes me just not play energy shield at all, being fixed. Or if they played around with immunities or something. Things that give an advantage. I mean, honestly, I wouldn't actually mind on a personal level as I'm not bothered about being competitive. However, if somebody ripped (or didn't) because of something that was different, that would be harsh.

As you say though, they aren't (yet) looking at major changes. They did say they want to limit it, but let's see. I personally would advocate for not changing any bugs at all. I would prefer to have the exact balance and bug state transfer over.

Reactions: Luhkoh and Grisu
I also don't really see it to be that big of an issue not to have Ladder-only runewords locked behind a gate. It is lazy for me to say since I will not be creating them, but I'm sure there will be the necessary mods created when D2:R releases. Right now I'm actually doing a Stun/Bash barb purposefully w/o ladder runewords. Plus, even though I may not be doing 100% of my playing on b.net, the larger and more lively the ladder is the more likely a patch support team can survive Blizz's hemorrhaging.

They are planning to look at every single bug individually from what I saw on Llama's channel...off the top of your head which bugs do you guys think should be kept and which ones should be fixed?

I would really like to see the Fend bug fixed. As engaging as it was to play on my toes for nearly every single fight past NM Act IV (really, it was fun, I'm not being sarcastic), it would be nice to play as a Fendazon that doesn't feel quite so fragile. She still will be, but it would be nice not to whiff needlessly. Given what I've seen/read, I think a bug like this will be fixed.

One bug (but is it a bug or merely a design choice? I'm interested to hear what @maxicek has to say about this one considering his very useful guide on the build) that I'm on the fence about is Dragon Tail, where the aoe fire damage is only applied if the monster you attack is not physical immune. Should that change? Or does it add extra flavor and strategy to the build? I don't really know.

Oh, and hello again. Nice to see you all!

I also don't really see it to be that big of an issue not to have Ladder-only runewords locked behind a gate. It is lazy for me to say since I will not be creating them, but I'm sure there will be the necessary mods created when D2:R releases. Right now I'm actually doing a Stun/Bash barb purposefully w/o ladder runewords. Plus, even though I may not be doing 100% of my playing on b.net, the larger and more lively the ladder is the more likely a patch support team can survive Blizz's hemorrhaging.

They are planning to look at every single bug individually from what I saw on Llama's channel...off the top of your head which bugs do you guys think should be kept and which ones should be fixed?

I would really like to see the Fend bug fixed. As engaging as it was to play on my toes for nearly every single fight past NM Act IV (really, it was fun, I'm not being sarcastic), it would be nice to play as a Fendazon that doesn't feel quite so fragile. She still will be, but it would be nice not to whiff needlessly. Given what I've seen/read, I think a bug like this will be fixed.

One bug (but is it a bug or merely a design choice? I'm interested to hear what @maxicek has to say about this one considering his very useful guide on the build) that I'm on the fence about is Dragon Tail, where the aoe fire damage is only applied if the monster you attack is not physical immune. Should that change? Or does it add extra flavor and strategy to the build? I don't really know.

Oh, and hello again. Nice to see you all!
Good to see you! I too just came back, it's nice seeing a lot of familiar names around.

I think you're wrong about ladder-only though. We don't know exactly how the system is going to work. I'm sure mods will be created, but (despite them being OK with mods and supporting it) there is no guarantee that it will work, or will work within the bounds of this forum's rules. I don't see how it can be difficult for them to add them in. I just want SP to get the full game haha

Reactions: Jocular
there is no guarantee that it will work, or will work within the bounds of this forum's rules. I don't see how it can be difficult for them to add them in. I just want SP to get the full game haha
That's true :p And there are other SP concessions already in the game like Ladder-only unique items and cube recipes. Hmmm hmmm.

The advertised attack rating bonus doesn't actually work for these Amazon skills: Magic Arrow, Fire Arrow, Cold Arrow, and Power Strike. That's one of the bugs I would like our Blizzard friends to acknowledge and correct.

Also, as I have editorialized in my little census project, Blizzard should provide better incentives to invest in skills that get chronically ignored, or that get relegated permanently to "one point wonder" status. They did this with the 1.13 patch, which improved a few skills by either adjusting effects or adding new synergy combinations (Immolation Arrow, Shock Wave, Blaze, and Firewall come to mind). Some candidates for the same treatment are:
  • Slow Missiles (synergize Inner Sight somehow?),
  • Cobra Strike (maybe add a poison damage synergy to Venom?),
  • Psychic Hammer (should synergize Mind Blast to add magic damage?),
  • Battle Command (synergize War Cry or Find Item?),
  • Find Potion (synergize Whirlwind?),
  • Grim Ward (synergize, um, I don't know, maybe Taunt's debuffs?),
  • Increased Stamina (synergize Frenzy duration?),
  • Solar Creeper (make all three vines synergize each others' life, perhaps?),
  • Bone Armor (give it the same absorb per skill level that it gets from its synergies?),
  • Weaken (let it also reduce elemental damage types, not just physical?),
  • Iron Maiden (maybe synergize Iron Golem's life and returned damage?),
  • Life Tap (maybe synergize Blood Golem's life and leech?),
  • Terror (still not sure what to do with this one),
  • Cleansing (fix its Sanctuary synergy so that it applies properly),
  • Meditation (not sure, maybe a synergy to Prayer, instead of just from Prayer?),
  • Thorns (still not sure what to do with this one), and
  • Chilling Armor (more effective balance with cold armors' synergies, perhaps?).
I assert that any or all of these would expose new and interesting build ideas to try, which thus increases the game's value by improving the game's replayability.

Last edited:
Reactions: D2DC and Vang
The advertised attack rating bonus doesn't actually work for these Amazon skills: Magic Arrow, Fire Arrow, Cold Arrow, and Power Strike. That's one of the bugs I would like our Blizzard friends to acknowledge and correct.
If it was only those ... Ice, Exploding, Immolation and Freezing arrow also don't get their promised AR bonus :D

Reactions: Swamigoon
Inferno bug, errr sprite size be fixed.

Also, as I have editorialized in my little census project, Blizzard should provide better incentives to invest in skills that get chronically ignored, or that get relegated permanently to "one point wonder" status. They did this with the 1.13 patch, which improved a few skills by either adjusting effects or adding new synergy combinations (Immolation Arrow, Shock Wave, Blaze, and Firewall come to mind). Some candidates for the same treatment are:
  • Slow Missiles (synergize Inner Sight somehow?),
  • Cobra Strike (maybe add a poison damage synergy to Venom?), --------Dig it
  • Psychic Hammer (should synergize Mind Blast to add magic damage?), --------Anything!
  • Battle Command (synergize War Cry or Find Item?),
  • Find Potion (synergize Whirlwind?),
  • Grim Ward (synergize, um, I don't know, maybe Taunt's debuffs?),
  • Increased Stamina (synergize Frenzy duration?), -------Lots of things, but maybe add hit recovery
  • Solar Creeper (make all three vines synergize each others' life, perhaps?), ---------Without doubt increased health is needed for these
  • Bone Armor (give it the same absorb per skill level that it gets from its synergies?),
  • Weaken (let it also reduce elemental damage types, not just physical?), --------Lower target Defense by X
  • Iron Maiden (maybe synergize Iron Golem's life and returned damage?),
  • Life Tap (maybe synergize Blood Golem's life and leech?),
  • Terror (still not sure what to do with this one), ------
  • Cleansing (fix its Sanctuary synergy so that it applies properly),
  • Meditation (not sure, maybe a synergy to Prayer, instead of just from Prayer?),
  • Thorns (still not sure what to do with this one), ----------------add attacker takes X as well.
  • Chilling Armor (more effective balance with cold armors' synergies, perhaps?).
I assert that any or all of these would expose new and interesting build ideas to try, which thus increases the game's value by improving the game's replayability.
Totally lost on Terror, everything such as stun when monster runs into another monster I don't think can be done within the game limits.

Another thought on this topic: does anyone know whether Blizzard markets the Diablo games in P. R. China? I have read that Blizzard has adjusted their other games to address political and cultural objections of CCP regulators, so that they could continue to do business in that market. With D2:R, would they do the same? (Example: I'm pretty sure CCP censors disapprove of Andariel's "letting it all hang out" artwork and design. Personally, I also would prefer she be brassiered... :censored: )

Another thought on this topic: does anyone know whether Blizzard markets the Diablo games in P. R. China? I have read that Blizzard has adjusted their other games to address political and cultural objections of CCP regulators, so that they could continue to do business in that market. With D2:R, would they do the same? (Example: I'm pretty sure CCP censors disapprove of Andariel's "letting it all hang out" artwork and design. Personally, I also would prefer she be brassiered... :censored: )
Based on how they edited WoW Classic, I'm sure they'll be doing some cleaning up on the art if they think it might sell well in China.

I don't have a problem with Andy's nudity. I think it makes her even more intimidating. What that says about my psyche... ;P

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High