Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

I think this is one of those things that brings more attention to the issue than it otherwise would. How many people are trying to encode nazi messages/sympathies on non-stormfront or similar forums?

Har har har. I studied english for over 12 years, sucked in it, barely could say a sentence without a dictionary. Once I got off the school and started to use english myself on forums and for reading, only then I learned some english and could actually talk with a stranger on the street. Studying = sucks. Using it in practice = now we're talking!

I have never noticed an issue with your English. Honestly, with everything of yours that I have read, I wouldn't have guessed that you were non-native.

I think this is one of those things that brings more attention to the issue than it otherwise would. How many people are trying to encode nazi messages/sympathies on non-stormfront or similar forums?

I think I created 88 new discussion topics. Honestly, I saw that in the IFT, and though that "this guy must be hiding the ilvl because of 'reasons,'" As said, it's probably not an intentional censor, but just one of the forum's default settings.
It has made me think though, if the default forum settings has censored it by default, there must be several of these clandestine messages that go around on other forums/messageboards/topics.
I'm glad that they are probably not used at all here, but it has raised some awareness to the possibility/challenges.

I have never noticed an issue with your English. Honestly, with everything of yours that I have read, I wouldn't have guessed that you were non-native.

Honestly, @Gripphon, I wouldn't've noticed either. But 12 years of learning a language? I definitely agree that the best way to learn languages is to simply be immersed in it, but surely you gained something from formal tuition? The way you say it, it sounds like you got nothing from it.

Coincidentally towards the end of school (2001/02 for me) "broadband" became more or less available around where we lived, so I started gaming online and reading English forums. Doing so intensively for years as well as watching TV series and movies in English has certainly done more good for my English than school ever did. I did ok during the 9 years of English I had in school and probably liked it more than not. Nowadays I don't play games a lot, actually didn't at all for years until I started playing some D2 1.07 again recently, I read more instead.

*plays claw machine*
*aims for Sunset Shimmer plushie*

I'm really bored. Moreso than I have been in quite a while. At a client's, looking after their pretty calm dog, and watching an Iron Man I have already seen last week (good on ya, Foxtel Australia.) Nothing is really of interest to me at the moment, and no one I know on FB is being responsive. >.>

Does anyone have any lame or funny jokes, memes or anything that may amuse someone for a little bit? Feel free to post anything for any reason soon; just to get me to read something different. Thank you!

*alot

kegs is right. Weird but right.

Why do people say "alot" somuch?

I say alot because it bugs kestegs alot so I do it alot. I think this message might give him alot of seizures.

Alot

Wow. People in the Bar. Caught a Chansey this weekend. Everyone in my facebook group for Pokemon Go was envious. Not bad.

*serves Dew

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*serves water

*serves tea

*serves coffee

I've not caught alot of Chanseys, though I did catch alot during the Valentines event so I do have one Blissey. I have caught alot of Magikarps and one nice Lapras recently :).

Have you caught any unowns yet? That's pretty much all I am missing.

Honestly, @Gripphon, I wouldn't've noticed either. But 12 years of learning a language? I definitely agree that the best way to learn languages is to simply be immersed in it, but surely you gained something from formal tuition? The way you say it, it sounds like you got nothing from it.

Well, I did get the needed basics, I knew some most important words and some grammar tricks. But, I didn't know enough to write something meaningful myself nor could I really watch something on English without titles nor could I talk to someone that way. So, I did get theoretical knowledge after all those years, but it was not enough to use the language in practical manner at all. It had to do with 3 different things at the same time.

1. Our school system was bad (or still is), our language learning came down to solving examples from the book, listening to radio to some boring story. I never really had to write some essay myself and things like that were really rare. I never had to talk to someone on English either outside that boring class.

2. Second problem is my character. Our classes and teaching methods were so boring I never bothered to pay much of attention which is pretty much how I also felt toward other similar things. I was never an excellent student for a that reason, because I simply didn't care at all and went through some classes just to get rid of them. English was like that. German was even worse, today I can barely introduce myself on German because I never needed that language in my life and forgot nearly everything I learned, and learned it also for 8 years.

3. I didn't have pc until high school, and got internet for the first time either during second or third grade of high school. Before that I never needed English for anything at all. My first need of English was for the Morrowind and it was only then when I actually though it would be good to know better English to really understand what those characters in the game are saying. My first real need for English was during college days because we had literature on English and then for the first time I really had a reason to learn English better. At that point I didn't have English lessons anymore since we didn't have it on college, but I used those basic things I did pick up from studying it for so long and taught myself how to use English for practical things. Then I also joined some English forums like this one where I started to use the language to talk to a real people and not write things about fictional crap from the books like during studying.

So, I did pick up some important things before the college, but I didn't know English well enough to do anything with it really. Writing this kind of a simple post before would be impossible to do for me. Or even writing something close to it. For that I would need to have dictionary in my hands and god knows how much time to do it. Now I'm pretty confident I use English 60% of the time I'm awake (everything I watch without titles and reading on internet is English only, don't even read news on native language anymore) while other 40% time falls off to communicating with RL people and for my job. It's like that for years pretty much. My English is still not good enough to write scientific or formal reports since I use English only for this non-formal casual communication, so that is something I'd still have to work on - if I would ever need to do that.

Last edited:
Found this interesting post on 9gag with somewhat interesting, but overly expected comments below. So, let's hear what do you have to say about it. Idea is to pick one ability and why would you pick it.

a8y7grY_700b.jpg

I find it interesting that whenever such topic arises about superpowers, first thing people are looking for is how to get rich while breaking the law, how to do bad things to others and how to sexually please themselves. Understandable for 9gag folks, but I kinda think differently about it. This is my take on such abilities.

Intervene - cool, extra hour a day for whatever, seems pretty useful and good to me. Also has no harmful effects on others except it gives you advantage to finish your project more completely than the others. Or, you could prepare better for your job, be a better and more efficient individual due to having extra time to relax or prepare. Not a bad ability to have nor is it too immoral imo.

Euphoriac - completely useless. Only practical use others are mentioning is to abuse others to your (possibly sexual) advantage. Can't even make other people happy with it since they will forget about it anyway, so useless ability is useless. Unless I miss some really practical use that is not ****. I guess you could prevent suicides lol.

Copy-cat - sounds cool, but what would you really do with it? Send your clone to market so you don't have to go? Send him to exam but still experiencing the shame? I guess cool usage is to make clones to help you cook food faster and better, or to clean your room. And how about doing hazardous jobs so you could send the clones do it and not risk your life? But, doesn't sound right to me. It would be a moral discussion whether these clones are alive and should be considered humans as well. I would give this ability to my gf so she can slap me from 3 sides at the same time lol.

Telekinesis - sounds cool, definitely. Depends how you use it since you could cheat with it easily. I think it is good to get some jobs done, especially some dangerous tasks. No moral dilemma here as with copy-cat. You could also use it for fun like picking shells from the seafloor and such. Also playing jedi or going to magician route is not bad either lol.

Ascedancy - what would you do with it, control others to do stuff they don't wanna do? And what when this hour passes, how would they feel about you? This ability is surely one nasty ticket do make enemies out of everyone you apply it on if you are not careful. They might feel bad about themselves after they did something they will regret once you let them go. But, it is good to prevent crime from happening by controlling dangerous individuals and even make them walk to police all by themselves. Harharhar. Still, implications of manipulation are far too great on this to be to my liking.

Ectoplasmic - very similar usage as with ascedancy, to walk in the house to arrest criminals or prevent them from doing it on a street. Other than that you could go around spying on peoples privacy, but that is pretty bad. :p

Since I'm not a crime fighter, I'd choose Intervene. I'm a night bird and really would prefer that extra hour to do stuff.
@Drystan, gogogogo, here is something useless to do for ya!

Last edited:
So what happens if a member from Argentina joins who's ** years old and is named Panzer_Hammer? Do we... alert the Mossad?

Re: super powers.

I agree euphoric/ascendancy are too morally questionable even in the service of good. It's one thing to restrain or do violence to a dangerous person, but stripping him totally of his will is another.

Ectoplasmic needs a serious duration buff, but it's still pretty useful. C'mon, one minute? Did Blizzard design this one? I guess I'd use it to avoid people. I'd pick this one if it were something like 5 minute intervals with an hour-long cooldown.

Telekinesis is strong; it has no cooldown or restriction besides a minor range one. Super versatile skill here.

Intervene seems hella useful, though I'd probably just use it to avoid being late to things.

And copycat is mostly for fun, I guess. Wouldn't help me in a fight, it would just mean I was getting my ass kicked four times instead of once.

Hm, this is actually a tough choice. I guess I would go with intervene, under the assumption that everything is frozen in time except for you. I'd probably never use it, though, because I'd be like "BUT WHAT IF I NEED IT LATER FOR A SERIOUS REASON."

Otherwise telekinesis.

My FB targetted ads are usually (at the moment,) Forbes (I have no idea why!,) or some "Be Prepared for Grassland Fires," which is somewhat relevant based on my location and Likes of plant/botanical groups and friend list.
My Chatter is often "Spartan Race Page," Kevin Hearne (author of The Iron Druid Chronicles,) many Dog pages and some historical/cultural groups. There's more, but that's the bulk of mine.

What types of science memes do you get?

So aw hole alots have passed by. Maybe it where **** alots.

I have 88 other things for that supperpower thingy. I'll tell about a few.

Intervene - Offcourse this can be abused, time stop for an hour so everyone that is reliant on time also stops, so what can you do in that hour to other people. It has no direct averse effects on someone but still can be exploited. I would probably use it to get an hour extra sleep without interuptions, having twins mke you tired.
You can setup hilarious pranks with this one, stop time, now you have an hour to set everything up.

Euphoriac - Its usefull, someone just had a bad hour, erase it and let the person feel good again. Do something you absolutely do not want to do but will help someone, then erase it from your memory and feel good.

Copy-cat - So much fun stuff with this I'm not even gonna start describing it.

Telekinesis - Beeing lazy, sitting in your couch and get a beer from the fridge, then again if you're quick with it you can do some awsome catches with it, be an awsome firefigter and get people out of burning buildings safer, let them jump down and you jus have to be near and voila telekinesis to you.

Ascedancy - You can help people get over their fear of something, bend them to your will to face that spider they are so scared of, them might just realize there is nothing to be afraid of. Stop crime and stuff yeah.

Ectoplasmic - Play pikaboo with the kids.

Does anyone know of any coding challenges I can work on over the summer? I'll have too much free time and will be an intermediate coder in C by then, I suppose.

Currently working on some Project Euler problems (currently this one) which requires a lot of optimization to be feasible.

They do not. My test for only even numbers failed (this is very surprising) so I either messed up or the much less likely thing happened, that an odd number is the first "triangle number" with over 500 divisors

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High