Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Kamap, is this your way of telling us you gave up on parenting already?!

Hi BJ (Isn't it ironic that your username is shortened like this, combined with your tar? Maybe we should just call you Jon instead ;)). Only slain some dragons, saved the world from eternal damnation. Nothing much to write home about. :) But in seriousness, no. I'm probably the most boring person in the world.

Now where is the weekend when you need one? I think i'll have a drink or two (or twenty) to kill the time until it arrives.

Hello everybody, its been a while since i posted on the forums so whats up everyone? Anything exciting the past few weeks happen to anybody?
I've decided I am going to refer to you as bj :).

So how's things bj?

Howdy. I'm going to be getting a new PC pretty soon, but not sure what I should look for. :/ Technology changes so fast nowadays.

Howdy. I'm going to be getting a new PC pretty soon, but not sure what I should look for. :/ Technology changes so fast nowadays.

Desktop or laptop? If a desktop are you willing to build it yourself?

Desktop or laptop? If a desktop are you willing to build it yourself?
Hard to say - my laptop is really fine for basic things, but has just gotten some... "challenges" which I need to get on top of. "Host processes" just crashed, as did IR monitor. I'm not sure what IR monitor is, but it came when I first got the laptop, and I've tried to find what it's linked to without much luck.
Host processes I know is somewhat related to explorer.exe, which promptly crashed after it. The laptop itself has had network card and driver issues since origin which have never been resolved, and is currently getting bogged by clutter.
Simply, if I cleaned it up (which I do have to start to work out, as explorer.exe crashing is not a good thing.) Although... Unreal.exe (while playing) and Diablo's executable files were detected as viruses by AVG, which has never happened before, so there's something messy going on there. Definitely need to get on top of it. :)

Back to the question - since the laptop would be fine with a proper cleanup, I'd probably get a desktop, just so I could get a decent monitor and have a more decent set up. As to building it, I know it winds up significantly cheaper as you get what exactly what you're after, but probably not - I used to look inside PC's a fair bit and know what's what, but it's been so long since I played around with the guts. I'm getting old, and would prefer not to... XD That, and terminology has changed a bit. That's my excuse. :)

(And while typing, firefox crashed and came back to life.)

To receive a recommended setup, we need to know to basic things. What kind of programs/games are you going to play? How much money are you willing to spend? Also the notebook's spec is ingeresting too, because if you have a stronger onw, you can get by with a nice display.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

I know it's off-topic, but I like Bodry's avatar. It fills me with giggles and warmth. Much like alcohol.

Isn't this the off-topic thread, Zenigma? :D

Money is a difficult one, as currencies are a bit different. However, I know I don't need anything top of the line, but at the same time, the mid-range I've seen are within the price I'm looking at from what I've seen.

I'm a bit surprised that most here that I've seen so far have 4GB RAM. My 4-5 year old cheap laptop has 2GB RAM, so in that much time when technology and programs are more intensive (I'm pointing mostly at Windows,) the 'standard' that I've seen is only slightly better than what my cheap laptop had when I got it. That's what gets me - little things like that where technology has barely improved over what I expected it would. Also, the differences is graphics cards...
That said, 4GB RAM is fine for most things, but I wouldn't mind having the slight security that if I find something modern, it'll run, and a lot of things just want 4GB for optimal settings. Is there anything that wants minimum 4GB?
I'm not really a gamer since the newest thing I enjoyed is still probably 4 or 5 years old at least, but what I run, I'd like to run at near full settings.

So, what can I run? I can run Unreal at decent settings - I had a flashback to that, and while looking great and running reasonably, it still slowed down slightly when jumping - nothing bad, but noticable. I blame the built in graphics card, so that's definitely on the list. If I want to check out the expansion, I want it to run smoother and not have the slowdowns, but hey, that's over 10 years old, and any basic system nowadays with a decent graphics card'll run that fine! :D
I've looked at the SC2 system requirements, and they look pretty basic to me, even at optimal settings. Apart from that, D2 mods without the slowdown I get (major ones lke Hell Unleashed and Median in the more intense areas,) D3, and nothing else on the cards. D3 is really a half-half for me, because of the "always online" DRM crap. It doesn't work here, as we have a terrible connection and our governments plans for the National Broadband Network is expensive, will take another 5 years or so to actually complete, and is pretty much outdated today, let alone in 5 years... At least the original plan prior to the election was - I'm hoping it has changed since then. Yeah, we have slow, expensive and fairly unstable internet connections here, so anything that requires constant online activity is a definite drawback for me.

4 meg ram is a better upgrade than most processor upgrades if your looking at windows 7 or better, it can use more than 4 while with XP etc it's not so important as 4 meg is really the limit it can address.

High end CPU's now are all so fast really only a number cruncher needs them, gamer builds can get by with a mid range processor and a better graphic card and fast memory as those are the bottlenecks IMHO.

DRM and a connection needed to play sucks if your internet is slow no matter what your build.

on the software side heres some games to play on you current crap computer
90s kids rejoice as Internet Archive releases 2,300 MS-DOS games for free, playable in your browser. Includes Lemmings and Duke Nukem 3D.

Last edited:
So, WinXP can't actually utilise over 4GB RAM? I'm on Vista now, and would prefer to stay on Vista (as always, what you know or are used to is safe ground,) but most places automatically put on the latest Windows... I've always objected to people straight away going to the new Windows prior to all the bugs being found, but it's not a big concern for me.

Haha, I played through Duke Nukem 3D a little while ago. Classic game, but interesting it can now be run in a browser! Wow. I can recall a couple of those. Stunts! Prince of Persia! Original Sim City? Very faintly remember that one, but honestly don't really know too many of those.

Back to the question - since the laptop would be fine with a proper cleanup, I'd probably get a desktop, just so I could get a decent monitor and have a more decent set up. As to building it, I know it winds up significantly cheaper as you get what exactly what you're after, but probably not - I used to look inside PC's a fair bit and know what's what, but it's been so long since I played around with the guts. I'm getting old, and would prefer not to... XD That, and terminology has changed a bit. That's my excuse. :)

(And while typing, firefox crashed and came back to life.)

If you are planning on getting a pre-built system your best bet is to get it from a specialty computer store (i.e. do not get it from Harvey Norman or the like).

Vista 64 bit? - check if you have the license key for 32 or 64 bit or both and buy a midrange cheap box without the OS.
Install software only or get a buddy to do it for beer.
I would install or buy a SSD and run the OS and any high performance Apps on it and a raid hard drive setup.

@Jcakes - I would buy at my local Best Buy or Fry's - I like physical returns and no shipping.

Nope I'm saying that my father, Ariadne's and goldtru's parents should all start respecting their children as individual beeings with a life of their own and don't need any medling or advice that hasn't been asked nor is cared for. Their children are adults now and schould be able to run their lives as they see fit!

LEMMINGS!

Amazon Trail was cool, but IMO nothing beats the thrill of attempting to ford a river, knowing there is a significant chance you can lose pretty much everything.

Vista 64 bit? - check if you have the license key for 32 or 64 bit or both and buy a midrange cheap box without the OS.
Install software only or get a buddy to do it for beer.
I would install or buy a SSD and run the OS and any high performance Apps on it and a raid hard drive setup.

@Jcakes - I would buy at my local Best Buy or Fry's - I like physical returns and no shipping.
I was talking about a local compute store, we don't have best buy or frys and oz electrical stores are a massive rip off.

Yeah, I know harvey norman/**** smith are overpriced and for general consumers who really don't want much from their PC. Apart from Umart.com.au (which I only know of from a long time ago when they were one of the best,) I don't actually know any others. :(
But looking at Umart, I don't know if there's much difference between specs. IE - AMD Athlon vs Intel pentium series: AMD used to be cheaper, but you'd need additional cooling as they used to run much hotter. And then Celeron's were generally avoided. Otherwise, there wasn't too much of a difference. I don't know the different brands or how they've changed, nor what i3/i5/i7 are. Are they just the new P2/P3/Pentium4 detail?

Win Vista 32-bit is my current OS.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High