Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

@Drystan : I got the father of one of my daughter's friends to make the last couple of my computers, but I've had dealings with Infinity Computers (Brunswick) and Geek Central (Maribyrnong) in the past and they were reasonable to work with. They gave detailed quotes so you could check prices and reviews on-line.

EDIT: These are not direct recommendations, I didn't go through with these quotes, but I used their quotes to help the friend's father put together what I wanted.

We need Moar Moar.

Zenigma your not a real Kitteh untill you suddenly appear at every best spot to sit on while someone is planning to go sit there.

Some parents really need to learn that at one time their kids grow up and have their own life and that at that moment you "stop" beeing parents and become "peers".
That would mean they'd have to give up control and some parents don't like that as it leaves them with nothing left to have control over and to order around...

Yeah, I know harvey norman/**** smith are overpriced and for general consumers who really don't want much from their PC. Apart from Umart.com.au (which I only know of from a long time ago when they were one of the best,) I don't actually know any others. :(
But looking at Umart, I don't know if there's much difference between specs. IE - AMD Athlon vs Intel pentium series: AMD used to be cheaper, but you'd need additional cooling as they used to run much hotter. And then Celeron's were generally avoided. Otherwise, there wasn't too much of a difference. I don't know the different brands or how they've changed, nor what i3/i5/i7 are. Are they just the new P2/P3/Pentium4 detail?

Win Vista 32-bit is my current OS.
This have changed a fair bit since the 90s :)

I'd still go for AMD and get that extra cooling, a fan controller and voila a much more silent PC which runs good.

Somewhere this year or next year I might be bulding a new PC from scratch and I'll need some help aswell.

The biggest bottleneck imo today is the hard drive. SSD is necessary in a new rig. Also 4gigs of ram is good enough, but the latest games need 4 cores/8gbyte to run smoothly.
If you consider used parts too an i5-2500 processor is still enough for everything today. Video cards are quite good from the Hd7870 range (these are for full HD resolution gaming).
To sum it up: for futureproof comps: 4 physical cores, 8 gigs of ram, video card for the setting you like, cheap ssd for OS.

Dont underestimate Windows 8, it runs much smoother on my 6 yearer laptop, then Vista or 7 before.

Ps.: i love that avatar too. I always laugh at it. :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

I'd still go for AMD and get that extra cooling, a fan controller and voila a much more silent PC which runs good.

Somewhere this year or next year I might be bulding a new PC from scratch and I'll need some help aswell.
But what will he do with his 3 1/2 inch floppy?

The biggest bottleneck imo today is the hard drive. SSD is necessary in a new rig. Also 4gigs of ram is good enough, but the latest games need 4 cores/8gbyte to run smoothly.
If you consider used parts too an i5-2500 processor is still enough for everything today. Video cards are quite good from the Hd7870 range (these are for full HD resolution gaming).
To sum it up: for futureproof comps: 4 physical cores, 8 gigs of ram, video card for the setting you like, cheap ssd for OS.

Dont underestimate Windows 8, it runs much smoother on my 6 yearer laptop, then Vista or 7 before.

That reminds me that a friend of mine insists on giving (giving! giving! GIVING!) me a SSD drive soon.
I told him that soon my computer will resemble Triggs Broom.

I agree with all this

Price a Hybrid drive vs a SSD, Seagate has some out now that look pretty good.
(Hybrid drives are storage devices that combine NAND flashsolid-state drive (SSD) with hard disk drive (HDD) technology, with the intent of adding some of the speed of SSDs to the cost-effective storage capacity of traditional HDDs. The purpose of the SSD in a hybrid drive is to act as a cache for the data stored on the HDD, by keeping copies of the most frequently used data on the SSD for improved overall performance.)

So AMD's still run hotter and quieter than the Pentium series (i3/i5/i7)?
Is the i5 a quad-core, or just dual-core with multiple threading? When multiple cores was new, all they advertised was the CPU as was with "dual/quad" core. Now it just seems to be i3/5/7, and some numbers.

IE - I just picked a system at random - first one I clicked on.

• Intel Core i5 4590 CPU – 3.3Ghz<-- So what identifies the cores or threading? That's a quad-core, but do you have to look up each CPU to get the specs?
  • H97 Motherboard
  • 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz RAM
  • 1TB Hard Disk
  • 24x DVD-RW
  • Nvidia GTX760 GPU
  • Thermaltake V4 Mid Tower + 500w PSU
  • 1 Year return to base Warranty
  • Purchase a copy of windows 7 or 8 and we will install it for free!<-- Hahaha...

*serves punch bowl full of Code Red for the Ohio State National Championship win

*takes Dew

*spins madly around the room singing We Are the Champions

*serves celebratory red drinks

Five days to move. Grad school still not paid for, scholarship award letter (which must be signed and submitted by the 16th) is not yet issued. Stress is holding at a wholly unhealthy level. Crepeman is coming apart and Crepeman's friends have become acutely aware of this. New ladycrepe is helping but cannot calm fears. Loud things drive out the thoughts for a while and Lamb of God helps me pretend that if things go wrong I won't be jobless and homeless.

Price a Hybrid drive vs a SSD, Seagate has some out now that look pretty good.
(Hybrid drives are storage devices that combine NAND flashsolid-state drive (SSD) with hard disk drive (HDD) technology, with the intent of adding some of the speed of SSDs to the cost-effective storage capacity of traditional HDDs. The purpose of the SSD in a hybrid drive is to act as a cache for the data stored on the HDD, by keeping copies of the most frequently used data on the SSD for improved overall performance.)
I'd probably still avoid hybrid drive unless for any reason you only have one hdd slot.
So AMD's still run hotter and quieter than the Pentium series (i3/i5/i7)?
Is the i5 a quad-core, or just dual-core with multiple threading? When multiple cores was new, all they advertised was the CPU as was with "dual/quad" core. Now it just seems to be i3/5/7, and some numbers.

IE - I just picked a system at random - first one I clicked on.

• Intel Core i5 4590 CPU – 3.3Ghz<-- So what identifies the cores or threading? That's a quad-core, but do you have to look up each CPU to get the specs?
  • H97 Motherboard
  • 8GB DDR3-1600Mhz RAM
  • 1TB Hard Disk
  • 24x DVD-RW
  • Nvidia GTX760 GPU
  • Thermaltake V4 Mid Tower + 500w PSU
  • 1 Year return to base Warranty
  • Purchase a copy of windows 7 or 8 and we will install it for free!<-- Hahaha...
AMD run significantly slower than Intel. Only with buying if you overclock.

I5 = quad core.

These are the cpus I'd buy (from low price to high)

AMD FX-6100
Intel I3-4160
Intel I5-4460
Intel I5-4690k (only for overclocking)

I7 is not worth buying

Someone posted a picture on Facebook taken at the family reunion that I went to on the weekend. FBs face recognition software that asks if you want to tag someone cannot tell the difference between my brother (60) and myself (50), the suggestion on both faces are my brother. I know I look at bit like my brother, but I'd didn't realise I looked that old!!!

I had it back in October. Not pleasant.

The flu shot seems to work though.

*serves lemon hot tea to Sunset with Nyquil laced.

*serves wine

*serves Dew

*serves long island iced tea

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High