Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

My highest character is still 68....

*serves Iced Dew

*watches geyser erupt

*serves Geyser Dew

It's really bad how they only gave Brevik 21 years too...

21 years in jail is about the same as a lifetime. IE: A very long time

Not that he did not deserve more, but that is what courts of law are there for to decide

It's the maximum punishment allowed by law here. And custody means that he will not be released after 21 years since he is considered too dangerous. He can ask for release every 5th year after that though. He will not ever get that granted.

Edit: He will also be in isolate all the time. He has his own wing in the prison where they even build a psych ward for him alone in case he would be judged insane.

Pff. You're all a bunch of slackers. 98 is a piece of cake. :scared:

If my wrist doesn't hurt too much, this weekend my 3rd char will reach that.

laws are really slack here in NZ, hten again, we never have mass shootings.

i lolled at this pic so it is my new tar :p

But reading through an article I found, it says he will have access to an exercise room and a computer?

Sounds like a really comfy jail. Also considering the fact that he'll be in solitary instead of the general prison population.

Over here we'd probably execute him.

But reading through an article I found, it says he will have access to an exercise room and a computer?

Sounds like a really comfy jail. Also considering the fact that he'll be in solitary instead of the general prison population.

Over here we'd probably execute him.

Yes, he had that until now and I think he will keep that. The only thing he an do on the computer is typing though. He has no access to anything else than a word processor. He'll have to either work in prison or start an education (which he indicated was what he wanted to do). It'll take about 10 weeks of evaluation until a plan for him will be made. He'll be closely watched though by media and the general public.

You can't let him be with the other inmates. He wouldn't survive the first hour.

Just been watching "Endgames of a psychopath"; sometimes not surviving the first hour would save a lot of time and trouble.

I think it's an enlightened society that can take the worst conceivable examples of depravity and put them safely in jail, paid for by said society.
I for one feel better knowing that some of my taxes, which may have been spent on frivolous things like a children's ward in a hospital or perhaps on better infrastructure for the nation, are instead being used to ensure that someone you wish had died at birth is kept safe, alive and well looked after, someone whose only possible positive contribution from now on would be to slip on a bar of soap and crush his own skull.
Still, at least our consciences are clear, we have no death penalty to feel guilty about. :whistling:

Preview edit: further rant deleted.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty where there's the possibility of innocence/frame up/lazy cops/sloppy investigation. I'm old enough to remember the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, MacGuire Seven, and during my law degree we had a guest lecturer who represented American death row inmates who mentioned drunk lawyers, proprortion of minorities etc etc.

However, you look at Brevik and Hindley and Brady and there isn't any doubt they're guilty. I know getting the bodies back were important to the families and that's a tad tricky with the murderers dead. Still very very tempting in cases like that.

Back to running ... I seem to have an outbreak of gloams. :(

My personal opinion is "lock him up and throw the key away" which about 70% agree (taken from my small sample of coworkers and friends).
BUT! If we'd do that we are no better than he is.

I am proud to live in a society that respects human rights and even lets the worst of the worst have a life, albeit severely restricted. If I wouldn't than I wouldn't be a better person than Anders Behring Breivik.

I am proud of the Norwegian justice system who gave him a fair trial. He will never ever see freedom again, but that doesn't mean that he should be locked up in a dark hole. We are better than he is. We will not step down to his level. He shall be treated as a human being with all the rights he has by law.

I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view, Moar, but the worst examples of criminals get better treatment than many, many innocent members of society. Some citizens don't have access to education as adults, nor to computers, nor to a level of employment capable of sustaining them financially ... not even to a safe environment.

I rail against a society that "cannot" afford to pay for services and facilities that the decent members of that society might need but which "can" afford to pay for the worst kind of criminals to be kept around indefinitely, at a cost per annum that is many, many times the average income of those same citizens.

I say that a society needs to concentrate first on the non-mass murdering populace's needs before addressing the "human" rights of individuals who bear only the faintest, purely biological, resemblance to a human being.

And yes, you can be proud of your nation's management of this horrible incident.

21 years is the max allowable sentence for any crime? That just seems silly.

nice new tar, male. You're getting all grown up :D

"i want to be inside you" (the BURGER is saying that NOT me!)

thats what it says.

i will probaby change it a gain in a few dfays, i think it's a chuckle but not really representitave of me :p

They're always the same size on my phone. It was hard to read though.

You can blow it up in paint if you cant find it online.

I can understand your view from where you come from, Loz. It's a whole different situation than it is here. Norway is a rich country and all you adress is actually in place. The welfare system is good here. You get a certain amount of money to live of and you get a certain amount for rent. It's more than I and hubby lived off the first three years after I moved to Norway. And we managed without help.

A prison inmate gets 59 NOK a day if he works or studies. You can't buy much more than a shampoo for that.

But the real point is why should we not treat convicted criminals as human beings? That's what they are. Sure we lock them up so they can't hurt us anymore. But does that mean that they are less than you and me? I don't think so. You and me could have turned out like them with another childhood. Wouldn't you want to have a possibility for education if you were caught for a minor crime inyour youth? Tell me why that same right shouldn't apply for a mass killer.

Use Ctrl + in the browser, it will zoom in and make the avatar appear larger.

I can understand your view from where you come from, Loz. It's a whole different situation than it is here. Norway is a rich country and all you adress is actually in place. The welfare system is good here. You get a certain amount of money to live of and you get a certain amount for rent. It's more than I and hubby lived off the first three years after I moved to Norway. And we managed without help.

A prison inmate gets 59 NOK a day if he works or studies. You can't buy much more than a shampoo for that.

The cost to society for keeping the criminal in prison is substantially more than that.

But the real point is why should we not treat convicted criminals as human beings? That's what they are. Sure we lock them up so they can't hurt us anymore. But does that mean that they are less than you and me?

It depends.

*Stole food from a supermarket? We all would do that if hungry enough.
*Killed someone drink-driving? Not premeditated and more negligence than malice.
*Killed someone in self-defence? Who wouldn't?
*Murdered someone in a jealous rage? Almost anyone could be driven to that if pushed long and hard enough.
*Murdered 77 people, including children, because of political differences? Wait, do we all do that?
*Keep a child captive for years, torturing and ultimately killing them? Is that "there but for the grace of God go I" behaviour?

I hope you see what I am driving at. Certain types of crime are not committed by human beings, they are committed by something else. They have the DNA of people, but they aren't people.

I don't think so. You and me could have turned out like them with another childhood. Wouldn't you want to have a possibility for education if you were caught for a minor crime inyour youth? Tell me why that same right shouldn't apply for a mass killer.

We don't live in a world where there are sufficient resources available for everyone to live happy, productive lives, or in many countries, any lives at all.
Think of it as triage - in triage, you first save the folks who are in danger but who can be saved. You do this because you haven't the resources to save everyone all at once. Turning to the issue at hand, we have far more deserving targets for our care, consideration and financial assistance than mass murderers, serial killers and the like. Until we are saving everyone in society, or on the planet, we don't need to keep the worst dregs alive, we cannot afford to. They are only kept alive to salve our consciences whilst we ignore people far more deserving of our mercy and concern.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High