Best way to farm specific jewels (Facets, 40/15s)

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
Hi. So I wanted to double check some information with you guys after a brief internet search.

What's the best farming strategy to find facets?

Meph averages facet per 2.49h invested and council 2.42h with blizzard sorc - numbers taken from hall of records thread. MF and player settings included etc.
frozen says this in 2014. I guess I'm curious if any information has changed since then.

He also says some stuff about how meph is probably a waste for most players after a short bit since you'll have everything else from him besides those --- so he suggests travincal. That's my instinct as well, that trav would be great for facets and then of course all the other good stuff that comes with trav.

and lastly, how do Terror Zones affect this? My instinct is that while meph/andy/trav/duriel are terrorized, then I should run those.

So bringing together a strategy if I'm target farming facets, my current plan is Farm Trav, or meph/andy/duriel/trav when Terrorized. Are there any optimizations there?

What's the best strategy to find 40/15s?

ok so again my instinct is either trav or lower kurast. I find so many jewels in LK that this feels like the best way to farm these. Is LK the best way? I can't imagine farming trav would be faster but I don't know. I heard a suggestion that farming NM trav might be the quickest way, but I think that might be super outdated since run times on a very strong character are going to be similar for hell or nm.

Last edited:
Pretty much what you said.

Re facets, I'd agree Meph doesn't make sense to run unless you're starting out and in need of some of those more common S&Us. Otherwise Travincal is way to go 100% to also get a bunch of goodies such as rings, runes and the occasional charms and magic/rare jewels . With TZs you can also get facets in other areas with high jewel drop rates. Most notably Moo Moo Farm and Arcane Sanctuary. But if you want to sort of target farm them at any given time, TZs aren't exactly reliable of course. The only TZ target I'd consider pausing Trav runs for would be TZ Andy... potentially, i.e. if you want to be cheesy and wouldn't mind acquiring a couple of TC87 uniques in dubious ways. ;)

The sheer amount of jewels makes LK the safe bet for magic jewels (thus including 40/15, not that one would ever got one :)). Sometimes there's this notion that targets like Trav or Cows are also good for those, and they aren't terrible, but nowhere near as good as LK. In my book LK is generally the best target in the game bar none once you're no longer looking for runes and S&Us. Jewels, charms and in particular crafting materials are the real end game upgrades, and LK comfortably beats every other area in the game in this respect.

What's the best farming strategy to find facets?

frozen says this in 2014. I guess I'm curious if any information has changed since then.

He also says some stuff about how meph is probably a waste for most players after a short bit since you'll have everything else from him besides those --- so he suggests travincal. That's my instinct as well, that trav would be great for facets and then of course all the other good stuff that comes with trav.

and lastly, how do Terror Zones affect this? My instinct is that while meph/andy/trav/duriel are terrorized, then I should run those.

So bringing together a strategy if I'm target farming facets, my current plan is Farm Trav, or meph/andy/duriel/trav when Terrorized. Are there any optimizations there?
About Trav/Meph, its pretty much what frozen said, depends on what you want other than facets.
Chance for facet with 310mf:
P3 Council: 1/418
P5 Meph: 1/421

If you consider TZs, Chance for facet with 310mf:
P3 TZ Council: 1/418
P5 TZ Meph: 1/348
P5 Cow level: ~ 1/85
P5 TZ Andariel: 1/93

What's the best strategy to find 40/15s?

ok so again my instinct is either trav or lower kurast. I find so many jewels in LK that this feels like the best way to farm these. Is LK the best way? I can't imagine farming trav would be faster but I don't know. I heard a suggestion that farming NM trav might be the quickest way, but I think that might be super outdated since run times on a very strong character are going to be similar for hell or nm.
Pretty much what ffs said. LK would be the best. It will give you a Magic jewel every ~6.65 runs on average. Other areas will give you a jewel ever 2 runs (Arcane, Cows, Halls of Pain, Boody Foothils, Tombs).
Chance for 40/15 is about 1/34,505. So you will need 230k LK runs to have 63% chance of getting it :)

Best way to farm anything is

1) never target only o-n-e thing
2) consider what other goals you can combine with your target so arent sad/disappointed everytime a jewel doesnt roll 40/15
3) consider how you have the most fun playing the game

Unless you are looking for isenhart's case, 'fun' will always win vs. efficiency when it comes to things that are remotely difficult to find

And id be surprised if more than a handful of SPF'ers have ever found a 40/15

Chance for 40/15 is about 1/34,505. So you will need 230k LK runs to have 63% chance of getting it
yikes I already found one (quite some time ago) so I imagine I'm not due yet o_O

2) consider what other goals you can combine with your target so arent sad/disappointed everytime a jewel doesnt roll 40/15
3) consider how you have the most fun playing the game
LK is great because I am still and probably always will be in need of better charms. I'm making significant progress on my single 11%res/20 life sc stash. And of course you can never have enough pgems and I've been stocking up a huge amount lately as well as rals and other crafting mats. Plus I still get a lot of joy from hitting stuff like jewels of envy or basically whatever honestly. It also helps that I like LK.

As far as trav goes it hits all the same ways for me so I'll probably keep it up for a while. I don't have a ton of things I still want to do with the game but my lack of good jewels annoys me since I feel like I should have way more of them considering the amount of other trash I got.

And id be surprised if more than a handful of SPF'ers have ever found a 40/15
I have found exactly one 40/15 and a 39/15. I used the 40/15 one drunken night on a windforce that I don't like using and have never stopped regretting it.

• Sad
Reactions: entwilighter
I've found two 40/15s. The first is lost in antiquity. The second I found almost 2 years ago and could never decide what was the right way to use it. I finally splurged for my Fury Wolf and used it and an Ohm rune in an IK Stone Crusher. It's one mean stick and I don't regret it.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 130050.png

Looking through my pre-LOD stashes turned up this guy. Also look at the sheer # of ruby jewels lol. edit: I guess my D2R stash has almost as many already check it out:
Screenshot 2023-10-23 130701.png

Where all the good ones at?!!

Now can someone answer where the best place to get a jeweler's tiara of speed/the magus is at?

Last edited:
I think gambling is going to be best bet for magic circlets, and a use for all the gold that drops at Trav to synergize efforts. Although I think the odds are pretty darn low either way

Reactions: NorthDakota
I think gambling is going to be best bet for magic circlets, and a use for all the gold that drops at Trav to synergize efforts. Although I think the odds are pretty darn low either way
Yeah I'm doing that. I should be OK gambling coronets as well correct? Since both upgrade to tiaras and I need tiara right? And the best level to gamble these would be 99 to maximize the chance of upgrading base type?

View attachment 88211

Looking through my pre-LOD stashes turned up this guy. Also look at the sheer # of ruby jewels lol. edit: I guess my D2R stash has almost as many already check it out:

Where all the good ones at?!!

Now can someone answer where the best place to get a jeweler's tiara of speed/the magus is at?
Wow! Now this is playing in my head

Reactions: NorthDakota
You have ruined your chances of ever finding a 40/15 by making this thread. You have to trick the game into thinking you are looking for something else.

You have ruined your chances of ever finding a 40/15 by making this thread. You have to trick the game into thinking you are looking for something else.
I don't want 1, I want 3. And the artisan's tiara of speed and then I'll be good to go. I have one laying around, I don't need them be a perfect 40s, I'd take any ruby jewel of fervor I think. :)

Right now I'm farming better max damage grand charms in 1.07 since I realised how bad mine were (20 at best?! weak.) Haven't found any great double affix max damage gc's but I did find this one: 107maxdmgsc.png

I don't really have any long term goals at the moment. My bowazon is 98 from terror zones and I am feeling a bit bad about maxing her out after all this time with so much improvement in gear to go. I'm not completely sure I want to use the tiara but I think it's a nice idea. I really like the idea of a 1.07 valk wing with a 40/15 in it since I prefer engima and the FCR is nice along with the FRW, but a tiara of the magus might be an option. Anyways it's probably never going to happen but it's fun to think about and there's plenty of variety of activity to do while looking for it I guess.

Last edited:
Just a headsup, it's more important to have matching color jewels than perfect 40/15s imo. Also if there's any way in the world to get Jeweler's Diadem of Speed, it would feel so much better than Tiara. Soooo much better. Don't think I've ever seen one in SPF history.

Screenshot001.jpg

Jeweler's Tiara of Speed is classic PvP item, but I can't figure out why would you take this over 1.07 Valk wing for PvM. For PvM having option to use Enigma is just better overall and cheaper by a mile. Also if you get exact 35 or 30 RJoF you can make stylish Valk with repeating numbers :D

EDIT: As about forcing RJoFs, you can't really. Only realistic option is to trade for couple.

but I can't figure out why would you take this over 1.07 Valk wing for PvM
only reason would be 80% more ED. Even if 80% ED isn't much compared to fanat/might/concentrate/skill ED. Really mostly just a random idea in my mind and it probably won't ever happen, and there are a bunch of ways to use 40/15s that would probably be better for an offline account anyways.

Found this one this morning:

Game.exe Screenshot 2023.10.27 - 21.49.31.46.png

When did Tiaras first get 3 sockets? I don't remember if they could even have sockets in 1.07, but if they can have 3, go get yourself a rack or two and go insane... well... now that I think about it, it couldn't be 1.07 because you could just Larzuk... However, even in D2R I've found stable racks in LK. That is how I finally got a 45@ST some weeks ago. Other, less crowded areas may have racks with even higher stability.

When did Tiaras first get 3 sockets? I don't remember if they could even have sockets in 1.07, but if they can have 3, go get yourself a rack or two and go insane... well... now that I think about it, it couldn't be 1.07 because you could just Larzuk... However, even in D2R I've found stable racks in LK. That is how I finally got a 45@ST some weeks ago. Other, less crowded areas may have racks with even higher stability.
great idea helvete I don't know why this didn't occur to me. I think you're right though, 1.07 LK is probably the best place because then you could get a double affix and a 3 socket from larzuk, which is even crazier!! My main concern is I don't know if they have the same affix pool as in later patches does anyone know? Are the 30% frw/20% fcr affixes in 1.07?

great idea helvete I don't know why this didn't occur to me. I think you're right though, 1.07 LK is probably the best place because then you could get a double affix and a 3 socket from larzuk, which is even crazier!! My main concern is I don't know if they have the same affix pool as in later patches does anyone know? Are the 30% frw/20% fcr affixes in 1.07?
Circlets/Tiara/Coronet/Diadem is capped to 1 socket in 1.07/8/9 I think. After 1.10+ they can get 2/3 sockets. Don't quote me on exact patch but I think it's roughly like that. Affix pool is actually pretty good in 1.07 since it doesn't have some trashy affixes, but 1 socket kills it completely. If you do find something like 2/20 magic circlet in 1.07, you have to forward it to modern patches for it to have a shot at getting 2 sockets. 3 is impossible in any patch to my knowledge, except if you actually get jewelers's affix. Then again, if you actually do get jeweler's in 1.07/8/9 it would still have only one socket as per patch cap. Idk what would happen if you forward that item but my guess is that it keeps number of sockets and doesn't magically get 3 instead of 1.

Reactions: ziambe
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High