rainbow facet farming

bondcho

Oct 16, 2013
Hello, i want to know whats the best way to farm facets, if you have unlimited resources of items and heroes.My guess is Mephisto with high mf blizz sorc?

Reactions: HomerJFong
Actually, i believe the best place is the Council in Travincal, since they have a good chance of dropping jewelry. And that includes runes up to Cham.

The best drop rate per run would be Duriel (he has a high chance to drop jewelry and jewels, making him generally the best target, by droprate, for jewelry he can but Andy can't drop) with Baal and Diablo behind him but still ahead of Mephisto. If you're talking best in terms of time per run (or runs over time, however you want to describe it), though, it's Mephisto not close.

The council isn't even remotely close to Mephisto if you're targeting just facets. If you have what Meph can drop already and are interested in facets eventually along with eventual other, mostly "junk" (charms, runes, gems, etc.) class, goodies then the council works out fine. If you are specifically looking to maximize your number of facets, though, Mephisto is where you want to be.

Meph averages facet per 2.49h invested and council 2.42h with blizzard sorc - numbers taken from hall of records thread. MF and player settings included etc.
It's really close in this case, but if we change meph runner to infinity firesorc then meph wins easily in terms of facet/h.

That being said, "if you have unlimited resources of items and heroes" you will probably not be interested in meph even slightest, where council is still best source of goodies even for powergamers (jewels, charms etc) and it's best place to find runes in game.

Council wins overall if you want to play blizzard sorc, and even if we look only at facets, nevermind rest of nice drops. If you want to go with firesorc on meph, sure, you will avg more facets. Problem is motivating yourself to run meph where council will give you enough initiative to keep on running with all other drops - I'm sure there are people that have 100+ rainbow facets on council (I myself have ~70 with all perfects being spent/traded so there's probably more of them).

Just gear your blizzard sorc and hit council couple thousand times.

Problem is motivating yourself to run meph where council will give you enough initiative to keep on running with all other drops

That was spot on. The thing about the Council is that, even tough it might not be the most efficient place to farm some particular items, they can drop a variety of very good items, ranging from charms, runes and, eventually, unique jewels. It's much easier to get motivated when running Council because you get just enough goodies to keep up the motivation.

The best drop rate per run would be Duriel (he has a high chance to drop jewelry and jewels, making him generally the best target, by droprate, for jewelry he can but Andy can't drop) with Baal and Diablo behind him but still ahead of Mephisto. If you're talking best in terms of time per run (or runs over time, however you want to describe it), though, it's Mephisto not close.

The council isn't even remotely close to Mephisto if you're targeting just facets. If you have what Meph can drop already and are interested in facets eventually along with eventual other, mostly "junk" (charms, runes, gems, etc.) class, goodies then the council works out fine. If you are specifically looking to maximize your number of facets, though, Mephisto is where you want to be.
You don't need a Hell Duriel Mule to make the game.
Just the Multi Arcane Run?
:D - it's not so slow.
LOL

Last edited:
You don't need a Hell Duriel Mule to make the game.
Just the Multi Arcane Run?
:D - it's not so slow.
LOL

Sometimes I wonder if you are just a bot that replies misc d2 stuff that never makes sense. It's not the first post that nobody is able to decode what you write...

Council if you can do it quickly. Mephisto is still alright, but you won't find great gear from him.

Sometimes I wonder if you are just a bot that replies misc d2 stuff that never makes sense. It's not the first post that nobody is able to decode what you write...
You have to check the symbols at the Summoner's place for it or have a Duriel mule.
Hope this clears it up.
duriel mule
:D

You can check check tombs randomly till you find the right one I guess if skipping the summoner sometimes faster?

Last edited:
What I believe he's saying is that whenever you are rolling maps, the fastest way to find where Duriel is hiding his cowardly butt is by running the arcane sanctuary.

Sorry Realms SO SP and static map = you know after the first time, Realms = Durial mule and/or If you have Teleport and can take a hit and kill all easy, you can just run them all (or as many as needed - it's always in the last place I look if no symbol) as well
Which is faster depend on build and or/if you have a duriel mule or TP and if Questing or Farming for Jewels.
I used to reverse run the palace a lot.

Last edited:
Isn't Duriel still bugged? I've accidentally found some really nice maps for him, but he drops junk way more often than he should (as in 5 town portals and a mana pot).

I would recommend Trav far and beyond anywhere else. If you have a barb you also have find item and even though that takes a bit of time it also increases drop chances quite a bit.

I would also recommend Trav for SoJ, Bul Katho and Maras. The fact that you get a good chance of high runes on top is just unbeatable IMO.

Trav barbs rule. In addition to the high mf hork switch, which is always at p7 regardless of which player setting you're on (thanks Nulio), you can gear your toon for gold find, reaching your bank's gold limit in 5-10 runs . If you level into the 90s, you can then gamble some amazing and useful things: ammy's, circlets, fcr and dual leech rings. What else ya gonna spend all your gold on.. You can't take it with ya!

If you go the trav barb route, I advise putting one point into taunt. If the council generates a particularly nasty aura set, you will be extremely happy you placed one point into taunt. Taunt is a true one point wonder which you never will regret spending. And if you're rolling your barb with gold find gear, you will be wearing wealth armor... So no teleporting; one point taunt skill means you won't have to waste time chasing stupid mages at the corners of your screen.

Last edited:
In addition to the high mf hork switch, which is always at p7 regardless of which player setting you're on
That's new for me. Do you have a link or source for that information?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High