Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

So on a quick glance, I have enough HRs to start a couple of projects I want to do. I need to verify everything and make sure I have the bases, but I did start a pally so he will be ready when I make them.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Anyone else notice that quick cast feels less clunky in 2.4.3 or is it just me? Haven't played in a month or 2 and coming back it feels much nicer on my hammerdin.

edit: nah still clunky
I sometimes miss non fast, but enjoy not having to RMB each Skill It’s only harder to cycle through skills.

Took the Angelic Frenzy barb to most of act II normal.

So far this build is pretty safe. The war cry tree really makes this build. Between that and the fast attack speed with CB makes the poor damage output from Angelic set less of an issue. And I can’t even stun everyone silly yet…

Yes, This is the easy part. I do not think I will feel the same way in nightmare. But I’m having more fun that I thought starting this trip

I'm helping my son out with designing his Rift-sin. It occurred to us that the Rift-sin doesn't so much need an A2 merc, since there isn't a ton of physical damage to amplify (mostly relies on CB), and the character has got a ton of mana/life leech, doesn't really need extra defense, etc.

That makes an A5 merc sort of appealing and we're doing him based on the same idea: fast attack that triggers lots of procs. So far we tried Delirium + Lawbringer + Random Rare Sword, but we're going to switch that out for a "Voice of Reason" Phaseblade once he can equip it... so far it's pretty darn fun! Once we equip VoR it should look pretty crazy with cold spells going overwhere.

Took the Angelic Frenzy barb to most of act II normal.

So far this build is pretty safe. The war cry tree really makes this build. Between that and the fast attack speed with CB makes the poor damage output from Angelic set less of an issue. And I can’t even stun everyone silly yet…

Yes, This is the easy part. I do not think I will feel the same way in nightmare. But I’m having more fun that I thought starting this trip
I'll be interested to see how you fare in NM! Angelic is pretty fun in Normal, but I've never run the full set.

I'm helping my son out with designing his Rift-sin. It occurred to us that the Rift-sin doesn't so much need an A2 merc, since there isn't a ton of physical damage to amplify (mostly relies on CB), and the character has got a ton of mana/life leech, doesn't really need extra defense, etc.

That makes an A5 merc sort of appealing and we're doing him based on the same idea: fast attack that triggers lots of procs. So far we tried Delirium + Lawbringer + Random Rare Sword, but we're going to switch that out for a "Voice of Reason" Phaseblade once he can equip it... so far it's pretty darn fun! Once we equip VoR it should look pretty crazy with cold spells going overwhere.

I'll be interested to see how you fare in NM! Angelic is pretty fun in Normal, but I've never run the full set.
That VoR is going to go off like really a lot. I think you will have so much fun with it. I made mine in a knout or scrouge I think

VoR is a great choice because it also grants the merc Cannot Be Frozen. Another option perhaps worth considering is 'Crescent Moon'. It has 10% ctc level 17 Chain Lightning on Striking and 7% ctc level 13 Static Field on Striking, Ignore Target's Defense, 25% chance of Open Wounds, a bit of IAS, enhanced damage.

My old zealot made frequent use of both of these runewords (both in Phase Blades to avoid repairs) and ran a maxed Conviction aura. It was fun :)

edit: Or, if you want to play with another new runeword, 'Unbending Will' has 18% ctc level 18 Taunt. I'm not sure how effective Taunt would be when 'Delirium' is also proc'ing Terror and Confuse at the same time. The monsters really wouldn't know what to do :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Love the recommendations! I was hoping for some. It will be hard to miss the decrepify on Lawbringer but I may have to give Unbending Will a shot. My sons and I are working on a Sept and I’m hoping to use new features of D2R like runewords and mercs on the builds.

Crafted nearly 100 blood gloves and over 100 hit power gloves tonight. No 2/20 jav hit power gloves, but some of the blood ones were OK. A tad disappointed in the results but I had never done much crafting in the past… always traded for such items instead of doing it myself. So the exercise itself seems a bit of an accomplishment.

I finally have the runes for an Infinity, and I'm trying to decide on a base. I'll probably most often be running with Treachery, and I'm not sure which to choose. The thresher will get an attack off faster and hopefully that means more hit recovery. The cryptic will be more leech though, and keeping him alive and the aura up is his main job. What do you guys think?

Cryptic Axe
Two Hand Damage: 49 - 225
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 59
Required Strength: 155
Required Dexterity: 93
Fingerprint: 0x75eae864
Item Level: 84
Version: Resurrected
Ethereal
4 Sockets (0 used)

Thresher
Two Hand Damage: 18 - 211
Durability: 33 of 33
Required Level: 53
Required Strength: 142
Required Dexterity: 108
Fingerprint: 0xadefc28c
Item Level: 88
Version: Resurrected
Ethereal
4 Sockets (0 used)

Both are good and one or the other can be better depending on purpose/target and Merc setup.

But for general purposes, I would go for Thresher as it will provide just slightly faster aura triggering and CB application. Also Merc can use it earlier, although that is not decisive for me personally.

Reactions: PhineasB
I doubt I'll ever be able to make another one, so it's very much a generalist decision. Getting the first hit off fast is probably most important, since with the aura I should be killing quickly in masses anyway. Second priority is probably leach, where the CA probably wins out.

I don't expect a merc carrying an Infinity to get much of a chance to kill anything himself, really. I just want him to stay alive.

Last edited:
I'd echo @ffs on Thresher would be my choice, if having to choose between the two. But you can't really go wrong, and I think you'll be happy with either :)

Got my pally through Act 1 and a decent way through 2, all on P8. Haven't had a ton of time to play, but he's moving along at a pretty good pace.

The runewordbasepolearm question got me thinking if range of a weapon has any relevance for a merc. Threshers rangeadder 1 probably does not matter much as more often than not the merc will be surrounded with enemies. Then again maybe a Great poleaxe would enable being far enough from a tough solo target to not get hit.

Anyways should really not matter in Infinity case: foes are most likely very dead before merc needs to care of survival.

So @BBS_Agonistes got me interested in a Riftsin, and I started a new assassin yesterday toward that purpose.

In the last 3 weeks or so I've started and pat'd a new paladin and druid and blazed through from Normal to Hell mostly on /p8, though they were heavily twinked. Not so with the assassin... midway through Act 1 Normal I had to drop it to /p1 and it still has been challenging!

I just hit level 24 in Act 4 Normal and figured once I could get LS traps things would be easier... haha! I'll admit I'm not very experienced with a 'sin, but holy cow I have to finesse her through each fight and can't just go in kicks blazing. Maybe once the merc can equip Insight and mana isn't an issue... :p

Edit: twinked on a manald heal and Cathan's seal for mana/life leech, and it's helping!

Last edited:
Is the assassin twinked? My son played her mostly through Normal and Nightmare, but I helped with equipment. IIRC, we mostly focused on Crushing Blow. Crushflange (33% CB, req lvl 9) + Goblin Toe (25% CB, req lvl 22), and some low level req blood gloves can get you to nearly 70% CB. She is a bit clunky for mobs, but takes down act end bosses like a boss.

The "Black" Runeword is a nice source of CB once you can equip, but the knockback is a bit annoying. The Assassin always knocks back at the end of the kick sequence, but that will trigger it mid-sequence, making it behave almost like Charge. My son said he didn't mind it, but I couldn’t stand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triple Helix
She was twinked with Goblin Toes and Tarnhelm until I added the two rings a bit ago. Going to keep twinking her as she goes. Just killed Normal Diablo and about to start Act 5... still on /p1 for now. Definitely need some life leech on the Act 2 merc also. Hoping to start NM before bedtime!

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like a great project with your son!

Leveled the Angelic Barbs merc to lvl 27 so he could equip the first insight I made. So goodbye to the double rows of blue potions I had to gulp down to use all my war cries and keep frenzy up.

I’m not sure if I understand the dynamics of Frenzy completely. I keep being surprised about how much faster the barb attacks when I switch from Frenzy to double swing to kill the last couple of monsters. I know frenzy increases AS but is the frenzy base AS lower then the double swing one?

Killed Diablo on P8 with my pally, he just tanked the whole time with no fear of dying. Haven't bothered switching mercs yet, but will be doing so in NM to get the might merc. Got his toys ready for higher levels with mixed results, but that will have to wait for his Pat thread.

ETA: Want to give a shout out to early game armor for melee character, and that is Iceblink. Such great crowd control for melee makes it much easier.

Last edited:
Leveled the Angelic Barbs merc to lvl 27 so he could equip the first insight I made. So goodbye to the double rows of blue potions I had to gulp down to use all my war cries and keep frenzy up.

I’m not sure if I understand the dynamics of Frenzy completely. I keep being surprised about how much faster the barb attacks when I switch from Frenzy to double swing to kill the last couple of monsters. I know frenzy increases AS but is the frenzy base AS lower then the double swing one?
And that marked the end of act II normal. So far all areas full cleared and single pass at p8.
Only one NDE so far (got surrounded by scarabs and my LI is quite low still) where he hacked and slashed his way out of.

Duriel was a pushover where the increased attack speed from frenzy negated the slow freezing effect

Tommorow we start in act III. And finally getting the last important skill for this build available

Got my pally to 52, taking down Andy and Radament still on P8. I'm amazed at how overpowered he is, considering I still have something like 28 unused skill points and really not struggling much. Only troublesome monsters so far are boss packs that have fanaticism/might along with extra strong, but still get through them.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High