5 Stages of Grief Tournament

Progress has been slow with Amodan_Crane to say the least. To say more than the least I'll give a brief explanation. The frail necromancer had plugged along with his trusty sidekick/mercenary with a nice stack of javelins and a bunch of thrown potions for damage. His level was rising quickly and even though he wasn't quite to 21 yet, the first chamber in the level 4 catacombs held a champ pack of zombies and some of those lightning hurler types, so he was confident in his ability to get to 21 before facing Andariel, or at least as a result of killing her.

In my mind I was thinking how fortunate I was in being able to get to 21 with a stat-less and skill-less (save the amp damage from a wand he'd picked up along the way) necromancer with less than 100 HP. He wasn't even running any bone armor. My sons are 6 and 7 years old and into the Three Stooges so I was chuckling to myself about how I was going to get to 21 and most everyone else only got to 20, and this popped into my head:
View attachment 6217

But alas, the cruel fates intervened and one of the champ zombies felled poor Amodan_Crane right there in the last easy fight before Andariel. A zombie! Moving as slowly as they do! Not my finest hour. In another thread I had remarked to Jiansonz about how rusty I was and I definitely proved it. I felt like this:
View attachment 6218 That is a picture of my Oldsmobile that I am very slowly restoring from a rusted hulk.

So I decided to make Amodan_Crane over again and deleted his stash and started over with a new character of the same name. I took my lessons learned and cobbled together equipment that gave him 60 additional HP of bone armor and a level 3 clay golem (which actually did pretty well throughout the act). I got a hunter's bow and put some rubies in it and ended up getting /P8 Andariel to the ground with it. I tried to tank her once but she took me from full health (83 HP) plus some of the bone armor down to 14 HP in one swipe so I ran away and didn't do that again.

Amodan_Crane, level 20 bone necromancer, Lut Gholein
Good luck this next iteration with Amodan_Crane. I'll blame my first deeds with my Javazon to drinking several beers while trying to quest her through Normal.:oops:
Edit: Hilarious pictures though, especially the one of your Olds!!!

@DiabloTwoinDC - Why are you shopping for socketed staffs as a Fishymancer?
Edit: Forgot to mention earlier that we elected to gamble most of our coin first off and then flew through Act 3 so fast and killing only what was blocking our path that Trisha only gained half a level. Mephisto was a breeze with Static Field and Razan applying the killing blow. He dropped nothing useful, which is probably why we completely forgot to even mention the Act 3 blur. Lam's points rolled into Energy. Probably the only wasted roll would be a 2 for her.
This awesome circlet was the very first gamble we made when we arrived on the docks, which Trisha has elected to wear.
View attachment 6244
The following items were all gambled as well and increased either our MF or resists. Most of the resistance items she isn't wearing just yet unless things get pretty ugly in Act V. She is still primarily using the best MF gear she has either found or gambled now.
View attachment 6245
View attachment 6246
View attachment 6247
This wonderful amulet dropped out of this bone chest thingy.
View attachment 6248
Good gems, poor rune...
View attachment 6249
We stayed at /p3 after going down the first steps because Razan was killing way to slowly and would get mobbed badly and we were burning through pots like crazy. Then once we went down the steps to the River of Flame it went down to /p1 because Mana pots were rarely dropping and Razan was killing at a snails pace with all the Hags mobbing him with their pups. Chaos Sanctuary was fun as Trisha now started to cast Hydras, Blizzard and an occasional Glacial Spike to freeze them in place if they snuck through the Blizzard field. When it came time to pop the final seal Razan had been dead for some time after he was surrounded by several Knights and we weren't paying attention to his life and he bit it. The battle with Diablo was easier than expected, utilizing primarily Level 5 Hydras and running around and luring Diablo in their firing range. As you can see nothing useful dropped but the gem.
View attachment 6250
Gathered our two skill points and went on our way through the strange red portal to find Baal.
View attachment 6251

Trisha and Razan, Level 31, Act V

Last edited:
I SURVIVED!

View attachment 6252

View attachment 6254

Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I changed the armor from 2xtopaz to 2xruby which resulted in 110 life total, this coupled with high poison resistance from antidote potions (60 for me, 85 for merc) took the sting from her ranged attacks and left only the melee part to avoid.

The fight was quite short, I used the same attack as @jiansonz – static (+3 from staff) and frozen nova with the merc providing ranged support & meat shield.

Andariel dropped an interesting pair of boots and a bardiche I'm going to give the act 2 merc.

As for the imbue reward.... Going to use a large shield

Nice name!
Act 2 – first of all, going to clear the stash a bit and then decide about the stats allocation. I'm going to invest in STR this act so have to figure the final score I want to have in the end of act 2 and invest accordingly.

Corruption Turn --> from Pitspawn Fouldog
Ring
Required Level: 10
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xfeb00b32
+14 to Mana
Lightning Resist +12%
4% Life stolen per hit
28% Extra Gold from Monsters
+1 to Light Radius
10% Faster Cast Rate

Wraith Clutches
Chain Gloves
Defense: 9
Durability: 36 of 48
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 4
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x483a0c8a
+1 to Dexterity
+5 to Maximum Stamina
Fire Resist +8%
Poison Resist +7%

Cruel Spur --> Andariel
Heavy Boots
Defense: 9
Durability: 14 of 14
Kick Damage: 4 to 10
Required Strength: 18
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x3794ebaa
+1 to Dexterity
+6 to Maximum Stamina
+29% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +5%
10% Faster Hit Recovery
Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Loath Picket --> Andariel
Bardiche
Two-Hand Damage: 1 to 28
Durability: 40 of 50
Required Strength: 40
Required Level: 3
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xec95a93
+15 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-7 lightning damage
Adds 1-2 cold damage over 2 seconds

Isa, level 20, Act2

Luctus (lvl 30) - Spider Forest, Spider Cavern, Arachnid Lair, Great Marsh, Flayer Jungle, Swampy Pit

Wasn't going to make it to lvl 29, so dropped to p1 for Duriel. Gambled some of my gold (what little I had left.. :mad:) on boots. And, got first Ral rune to make 'Leaf'. A3 random points have gone VERY well so far:
  • lvl 29: [1-4] = 3, 5 points Vit. and [1-11] = 8, Corpse Explosion
  • lvl 30: [1-4] = 1, 5 points Str. and [1-12] = 10, Bone Spear
I was planning on skipping A3 quest rewards to get to choose placement of points. But, the CE point only opened up Bone Spear, and Spear point only opened up Bone Prison. I'm still in pretty good shape for another random roll..

Luctus (lvl 32) - Flayer Dungeon, Lower Kurast, Kurast Bazaar, Upper Kurast + 6x Kurast Temples, Sewers, Travincal, Durance of Hate

Improved a bit on Jewelry, and found a decent Circlet of Fortune. Not sure it's worth Larzuk-ing though. Will probably reserve those for +skills Circlet, or hopefully some S/U armor or shield. Planned on bargaining both quest rewards, but ended up having to go back at end of A3 to pick up the Golden Bird.
  • lvl 31: [1-4] = 1, 5 points Str. and [1-13] = 12, Amplify Damage (opened 2x more curses)
  • lvl 32: Bargain with Lam Essen's Tomb (16 available skills at this point, 4 I really don't want, and another 5 I'd prefer against)

Having decent lightning resistance is a must here:
YzFakrj.jpg

A fan favorite:
ZVn58Rg.jpg

During the fight with Duriel, I had to go to town quickly to save my merc. I returned to the chamber to see Duriel making his last stand in front of the tomb door. If you've never seen this, here's a warning for those who don't have teleport or leap. Killing Duriel in that spot may block you from being able to run across the doorway, and you'll have to shop a teleport staff or S&E and start over.
jkfdg3H.jpg

Gained a total of 8 levels, so that's 40 more points into energy.

As was the case in normal, Act 3 NM was a rush job done at players 1. Under half an hour for the act.
9t5LfF7.jpg

Felloak count #2.

Ruru, level 60, in the Pandemonium Fortress.

Naruma deeded to p8 Andy. Not much room for making mistakes with no points in stats. We had her down below half life just using a chippy short bow, all feeling quite safe, however I let her get just a bit too close one time, she got a hit in, put Naruma in hit recovery and death followed shortly after.

After a bit of a break I decided to start another Druid, also called Naruma. His journey is best described in pictures:

View attachment 6285

View attachment 6286

View attachment 6287
The Dimoak was the only S/U for the act.

At the start of Act 2 strength was brought up to 30, dexterity to 28 and vitality to 97.

Skills went: 3 into Twister, 9 into Cyclone Armor and 8 into Arctic Blast. Bad enough to almost make me change my mind and play a Summoner or a Bear.

Ditched Sharyn and hired Chalan the combat desert merc.

Naruma the Windy Druid, Lvl 20, Act 2 Normal, Lut Gholein

Luctus (lvl 35) - Outer Steppes, Plains of Despair, City of the Damned, River of Flame, Chaos Sanctuary

S/U drops are starting to get more interesting. Luctus hit lvl 35 JUST before his battle with Big D. I had the insane idea that I might just keep it at p8, but thankfully chickened out at the last minute! :) I purposefully left the HF, and a few uncleared corridors in RoF in case I needed to replenish army against Diablo. Glad to finally be in A5, FREEDOM!!

Act 2

Before moving to act 2 I used the imbue reward on a large shield with satisfying results:

Code:
Soul Shield
Large Shield
Defense: 20
Chance to Block:  52%
Smite Damage: 2 to 4
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 34
Required Level: 9
Item Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0xc359c953
+35% Enhanced Defense
+20% Increased Chance of Blocking
Lightning Resist +9%
Cold Resist +11%
10% Faster Hit Recovery
30% Faster Block Rate

After some planning I decided to allocate skills and stats as follow:

Frozen armor – 1
I prefer not to open more skills here so I won't lose points in act 3. The real target is Chilling Armor which I hope to find on a staff later on.

Teleport, telekinesis – 1
Mandatory….

Static field – 5 (+3 from staff)
It will give me reasonable range for questing, the staff will be used for boss fights (especially Mephisto and Diablo)

Warmth & Enchant – rest

STR – 35 (+ 6 from charms and going to invest here during act 2)
Dex – 40 (for long swords if needed)
Vit - rest

Once I got the cube I immediately cubed the 3 diamond I had to create a useful weapon for my merc. The result is nice but there is much room for improvement:

Code:
Savage Lochaber Axe of the Glacier
Two-Hand Damage: 10 to 101
Durability: 43 of 50
Required Strength: 80
Required Level: 21
Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0xb32f76b4
+75% Enhanced Damage
Adds 3-13 cold damage over 4 seconds

The drop rate for runes increased, allowing me to create Steel and Nadir (shadow clock will be useful in the future). Still looking for that Ral so I can finally make leaf in a +enchant staff.

Isa, level 24, Far Oasis

The drop rate for runes increased, allowing me to create Steel and Nadir (shadow clock will be useful in the future). Still looking for that Ral so I can finally make leaf in a +enchant staff.

I didn't see a Ral until A4! And, that was from cubing 3 Tals.. Yet, I saw @Dezrok with 2 from the Countess. :confused:

Usually I get something in terms of runes in A4. But, I think all I got was 1 Ort. At least my HF was an Amn.

I didn't see a Ral until A4! And, that was from cubing 3 Tals.. Yet, I saw @Dezrok with 2 from the Countess. :confused:

Unless you get lucky with Countess, not getting a Ral until Act 4 (whether cubed or found) would be pretty standard for me. Getting one from Countess is sweet, getting two is just gravy! (and probably used up my luck for the rest of the tourney).

Edit: And congrats on the Woestave. One of my favourite untwinked drops. The swiss army knife of weapons.

Last edited:
Unless you get lucky with Countess, not getting a Ral until Act 4 (whether cubed or found) would be pretty standard for me. Getting one from Countess is sweet, getting two is just gravy! (and probably used up my luck for the rest of the tourney).

I usually find one or two during Act III.

Naruma has pushed on through Act 2 without much trouble. Certainly made me angry putting all those points into Energy though!

First priority once we had the cube was a Savage polearm for Chalan. First roll was an 80% Savage Lochaber Axe. That should keep us happy until Act 5 and was certainly plenty good enough for Act 2 (once Chalan reached level 23 and has enough strength to equip it). We were also able to cube a flawless amethyst out of Andy's drop and the rest of the chippies and flaweds we had accumulated.

We held off entering the Sewers until we hit level 24, so we could use the Book on something more useful. We also found a Gem shrine down there, netting us a very early Perfect Amethyst. Radamant was no bother.

View attachment 6305

Bile Wing was a very, very early PI. Those points in Arctic Blast took care of him.
View attachment 6306

Tomb 5 (Kaa's tomb) saw us get our first 2os druid helm. +1 Cyclone Armor and +1 Dire Wolf isn't the greatest, but at least both are useful.

p8 Duriel went down pretty fast to Chalan and a steady stream of Tornados. The drop was colorful.

View attachment 6307

Other S/Us: Diggler, Dimoak Hew, Angelic Mantle, Isenhart Case, Beserker Hatchet, Deathspade (nothing much of use)

On to Act 3 and the much awaited gambling. Unlike many, I'm going to stick with p8 full clears. Too many drops lost by racing through.

Naruma the Windy Druid, Lvl 28, Normal Act 3, Kurast Docks

Great going everyone, and some nice finds to boot! I've been away from regular internet this weekend/week, but I'll get a new table going in the near future. Keep it up!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High