5 Stages of Grief Tournament

And you can change it to whatever you like in game, go to options -> configure controls -> third last function is the print screen, there you can change it to any button :)

Interesting. You didn't follow the typical approach of single-pass tournaments, doing full clears and going full out on mf? I have been wondering about it myself, if it's really worth it to do it like that 100%, or do something in between full clears and the usual race through the necessary quests to the act boss. Looking at your character level after Act 1 NM, doing full clears probably isn't really worth it in terms of xp, as one will not be that much higher in level when doing full clears.

Not sure about luck when it comes to the runes. I have yet to see anything above Thul, but I'm only at the RoF waypoint. Finding 2 4os swords and a 4os Polearm seems lucky to me, but all the better for you of course :). An Insight would definitely allow me to spam all my skills, already looking forward to the moment I can make it !!!

Good catch about the bahamut's wand. I know that +mana is far more important than mana regen at this stage, but still I didn't think to replace my +3 Warmth orb with something else.

So far I've fully cleared every act except A3 normal, and it didn't impact my leveling all too much. I'll do the same strategy for A3 NM and make it up in Act 4 & 5. Runes, magic items, and some crafting is enough for my singer to get through hell, so I didn't feel the need to go all out on MF.

Yes, +mana is really convenient to have, especially when Warcry can consume mana faster than a greater mana potion can refill. For all the elemental characters, I think Malah can also sell lower res charged wands?

Now I see, I misread your previous post, thinking that you didn't do full clears with this character. It turns out you meant (and actually wrote :oops:) that you usually don't do full clears, but did so now, so you can't really compare and tell if you got lucky with drops or not. Ok, back to reading class for me ...

I also would think that I'd mainly aim for runewords (Spirit, Lore, Rhyme, Stealth), so don't need the mf that much. Obviously it would be awesome to find that Skin of the Vipermagi, but how realistic is it to count on that?

though in act 2 i might 'forget' to grab the way point and start clearing every zone!!!! and then i will have to do a zone again because i forgot the way point

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this, as clearing a previously cleared area is forbidden in single-pass tournaments.

With only 15% fire resist, Council Hydras were quite dangerous, and even more so the Ghoul Lords and especially the Blood Lords in the Durance. We made it through OK, and Mephisto was less dangerous than I had feared. Nothing special in his drop.

I didn't prepare overly much for the lean times of Act IV, but I did two things that I pretty much never do otherwise - use the Repair All button and fill the TP tome.
(My usual routine for TP scrolls goes "if there are 8 or less in the tome, buy so I have 14 of them". This way, I can forget checking/refilling 7 times in a row and still use the ability, and I have extra storage space over if I happen to find more than I need (happens a lot in e.g. Arcane Sanctuary and a few other places).)

Since I was still playing to have the merc get almost all kills and my fire resist was low, the heavy need for Statics (meaning: staying pretty close in range) against Venom Lords was often very painful for Fran. I dedicated six spaces in inventory to extra storage of healing potions, and replaced one column of purples with mana potions. Important to not be out of mana, better start that habit now rather than too late.

No selling meant leaving lots of crap around. I often carried a few ID scrolls as well to check on the dropped charms, jewel, jewelry, gloves, boots, etc.

Spawners posed a special problem, due to the dangers of taking loads of damage while mobbed. Venom Lords at the same time as a spawner was a no-no - I had to teleport back to safer territory to take on fewer critters at a time. In order to get Gwinni to actually fire at the spawner and not the little ones, I needed to get around to the back side of the spawner (from Gwinni's point of view) so the little ones would filter over to my side. Ouch. If I got low on potions (at one time, I think I was down to two reds in total, out of the 9 slots dedicated to storage), I used Blaze to create safe zones that would kill the pups quickly. Yes, yes, sometimes the mother would also walk in the flames and I (and not Gwinni) scored a few kills. Regrettable, but hey, we're talking SPAWNERS here!

View attachment 6187

I can now answer the question I asked in another tourney thread: if Abyss Knights no longer move in v1.13. The ones Fran met in the City and on the River behaved just as they always have. Must have been a random temporary bug my Phoenix Striker happened upon.

BRUTAL hit from Hephasto, who had Holy Freeze. For half my life or so, plus it was hard fleeing from him while chilled and with no extra foot speed.

For the Diablo fight, I had muled in Nokozan Relic and Hsaru's boots, leading to these resists:

View attachment 6188

One might think that the fight would be pretty safe with these numbers. It wasn't.
Fire didn't feel much, sure, not even the Firestorm. I couldn't completely neglect it, but mostly. But the Lightning Inferno is half physical damage, and when your blocking is bad (I think mine was down to something like 20%), it hurts a lot!

I do not know exactly how he managed to pull off almost a full hose at me. Maybe he caught me at a millisecond when I was too busy with pumping SF, drinking mana potions, adjusting position to better help Gwinni's survive, giving her a potion, or something else. I mean, I had dodged the major part of two hoses before, one by running and one with teleportation. But the fact remains, he did hose me. Big time. I think the main problem was that I drank a red potion early on, thinking I would be fine with that. In my head, I may have confused that type of attack with one of the other attacks, against which drinking just a red actually would have been fine...

The rapidly dropping life led to panic, but in a good way - I did slam my rejuve buttons right at the moment I saw no red in the life bulb and thought: "Oh crap, I'm dying here!".
The drinking was done in time, though. I teleported back a few screens, refilled potions and regrouped.

The next time he used the hose, Gwinni was killed. I was too focused on Fran's survival to even notice Gwinni was in danger. Diablo down to less than 10% now (I got a couple of Statics in early on).

Alright, time to Blaze him. I've done that several times before. He's the second hardest act boss to use Blaze on but it can certainly be done. He has two ways of moving around when he isn't using his powerful spells: he can walk sideways or he can charge you. The best way to Blaze him is to lay down a hot carpet in front of you, in his direction, and try to taunt him into charging you. If he does, just run small laps around him so he stays in place. The other way (useful at this stage, when Blaze is so powerful compared to how much life he has left that concentrated flames aren't needed) is simply to lay down flames just about everywhere you safely can and hope he somehow ends up in them:

View attachment 6189

This worked nicely, and what a great gift he left (despite me missing the extra merc-MF):

View attachment 6190

And wouldn't you know, I had pretty much exactly what was required to upgrade it. Had found a Sol this session (had no Amn or Thul, and couldn't have cubed more than to a single Thul). I could cube a single perfect emerald, couldn't have made a flawless more.

And look at the requirements vs. Gwinni's stats:

View attachment 6191

STR 73? Check.
DEX 103? Check. (4 points to spare)
Level 32? Check. (2 to spare)

The rolls on it were very good. ED varies between (70-90)%. Min fire damage is always 15, max varies between 30 and 50.

Her listed damage at the start of Act V was 89-209. Awesome.

The grieving process was clearly over. Act V was literally the best of times. I only had to watch out for fiery catapult shots (they are sneaky, as the damage is done silently (no screaming by the character), gotta watch that life bulb) but overall, the act was a cakewalk.

Finds lately: Angelic Sickle, Angelic Halo, Tancred's Crowbill, Vidala's Fetlock, Skull Splitter, Boneflesh, Cleglaw's Pincers, Crushflange, Shael rune dropped by a random critter on Anya's prison island (-> an immediate Rhyme Bone Shield), Rusty (15% ED) Jewel of Frigidity, Eburine Jewel of Carnage (+14 max) enough topazes to (during the cow level) complete an Artisan's Great Helm of Balance (thanks Larzuk!) with perfects.

And this decent orb:
View attachment 6192

Shopped Larzuk for another Artisan's Great Helm (this one with Nova Shield), 20/58 Russet Plated Belt of the Colossus and 29/51 Coral Plated Belt of the Colossus (wearing this now).

Shopped Anya for 30/24 Garnet Gauntlets of Fortune and 9/35 Beryl Greaves of Luck. Had to put 7 more points into STR to wear the Greaves, but I have already planned to wear a topazed Gothic Plate later so I'd still need those points anyway.

Going into Nightmare, skills are Blaze 20, Fire Mastery 2, Thunder Storm 11, Lightning Mastery 1, Static Field 3. Pondering putting a point into Glacial Spike for group freezing, both to make it less hurtful (less tanking needed) giving Gwinni more kills and for emergency use in stairs traps to buy us time. But since I'm going into Denial again now, that will have to wait until the desert.

Resists in NM are Lightning 72, Fire 49 and Cold 8.

[Highlight]Destroyer Fran the Blaze Sorceress and Gwinni the Fire Rogue, level 49, NM Rogue Encampment[/highlight]

Last edited:
Great action shot of Blaze there, in the Diablo fight !!!

Through_Grief has also beaten Act 4, but the last part, from the RoF waypoint, wasn't easy. The first part wasn't too bad, but in the CS, for a moment apparantly I didn't pay attention enough, which led to the demise of my merc. Hmm ... After that I tried a bit on /p8, but it became too tedious to my taste, so I tuned down all the way to /p3. This way I managed to clear the CS and face Diablo. In retrospect I could have bumped the difficulty back up, as it was just a matter of patience (o yes, and a tad of Static :)).

View attachment 6193

The ring was a Manald this time, not a Nagel's :).

After that I bumped the difficulty back up to /p8, put on my mf gear again, which had been replaced with resist gear for the Diablo fight, and cleared the Bloody Foothills. No issues there, although it's still slow until I get more mana and / or Insight. Leveled to 34.

I have the runes for Lore, Stealth and Spirit now, so waiting for the good bases to drop. Only a Shael away from Rhyme. Other than that I'm hoping on some good yellows or blues.

This is my first tournament so I don’t have much expectations (probably will die before Andariel) but let's have some fun and see how far I can go.

I decided to go with a melee enchantress since her power lies in skills and not equipment. First area wasn't much of a trouble, got lucky with the drops' so I can equip armors now.

The den was a bit slow with a simple short bow…. Do you know that shaman's resurrect range is more than 2 screens away?! Used quite a lot of poison throwing potions on the zombies pack but in the end got that reward.

Grand Charm of Strength
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0x873a7ed5
+4 to Strength

Small Charm of Strength
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 5
Item Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xf129ea8
+1 to Strength

Do you know that shaman's resurrect range is more than 2 screens away?!

Well, the shaman has to be aware of you (or any of your party) - that range is about 2 screens away, but the warrior it wants to resurrect can be even further away. I do not think there is a limit in distance for this, although there may be one in time (for how long the warrior has been dead).

Trisha shopped Akara for hours sipping wine, trying to find just the right staff to better her chances against the forces of evil. She was able to find a 2os staff with 2 Ice Bolt, 1 Charged Bolt and 2 Fire Bolt, which wasn't a huge help but did assist the Rogue Liaza a little in killing at times. She mostly used the Ice Bolts to slow things down a bit when getting mobbed.
The Countess dropped a real winner with a Tal and Eth!!!
View attachment 6201
This Vampire took a little while to bring down, he must have had some decent resists in cold and fire, so her weak bolts weren't doing much damage and every time he would fly around Liaza would adjust for a better shot and would take forever getting set and actually firing anything.
View attachment 6202
I think we had to resurrect Liaza one time in the fight with Andariel, but keeping her slightly chilled with Ice Bolts really made it quite easy for her to turn her into a pin cushion while she chased me around the bloody pond. At least she coughed up a Topaz.
View attachment 6203
Trisha elected to imbue a Helm and it turned out garbage as usual, so she just sold it.
View attachment 6204
Once in Act 2 she hired the healing mercenary Razan and awarded him with some lovely armor to kick some tail in! Eventually she will get her strength high enough to wear this armor herself and hopefully upgrade Razan with something even better.
View attachment 6205
She found the Civerb's Amulet and two of the Large Shields in this set in Act 2. Several other set or unique pieces dropped in the tombs, none of which were all that helpful to her right now.
View attachment 6206
The two main skills Trisha has employed in Act 2 was level 1 Frost Nova and an almost maxed out Charged Bolt when crowds got heavy. It would just melt them even on /p8.:D That's where she has dumped all of her extra points thus far while waiting for her other two main skills to open up. A boss pack dropped an Umbral Disk in Halls of the Dead, which is useless also unless she can find a juicy Orb or someday make a fancy Spirit Sword.:rolleyes:
She found a Nokozan Amulet in one of the false tombs, which she isn't wearing at the moment because she's still wearing an early found Amulet with some slight MF on it like her two current rings. Perhaps this amulet will see some use in Act 4 if needed.
After rolling like 8-9 Savage Polearms she ended up with this baby right before the Duriel fight, which I'm sure was a huge help!
View attachment 6207
After finally finding a Ral in one of the false tombs this is what she made with it.
View attachment 6208

Trisha and Razan, Level 28, Kurast Docks

Luctus (lvl 28) - Arcane Sanctuary (4/4), Canyon of the Magi, Tal-Rasha's Tomb (5/7)

Hit lvl 28 with only 2 Tombs to go. Don't think I'll be making it to 29 before A3. Found this Long Staff.. anybody know if that'll be 2os from Larzuk or Cube? Otherwise, I might keep shopping for a 2os +3FW staff. Luctus might find a couple Trang-ouls along the way. Ya never know.. ;) Found a nice lvl 11 twinking charm as well. Upped MF to 206% I believe.

Facepalm ... Leaf runeword ... why didn't I think of it, while it would have been (and still would be) by far my best option. Sometimes I'm so dull :(. Who knows how many good bases I have left on the ground ...

Good progress guys !!

Found this Long Staff.. anybody know if that'll be 2os from Larzuk or Cube?

3 sockets from Larzuk.
1/6 chance of 2 sockets with cube recipe.

-------------------------------------

I forgot to tell you about my random rolls in Act III, and socketing choice for my Sorceress.
The 22 saved stat points I randomized in one go went to Strength, just as I wanted. The four skill points were dumped into - Telekinesis. :(

Socketing was indeed done on that Rainbow Circlet of the Colossus I showed you earlier. As always has been the case for me with 'variant' type characters, Larzuk gave it only one socket.

Last edited:
Wow, some awesome progress there!

@jiansonz - Very cool detailing of the Diablo fight, and what a close call there! Oh yes, congrats on the Destroyer of course. :)
@T72on1 - Looks like you just snuck out of having a bunch of equipment broken, very cool!
@Southpaw8668 - Awesome job, loving that polearm! It will serve you well I'm sure.
@mir - Welcome! Best of luck to you :)
@DiabloTwoinDC - Good luck against Duriel!

Super happy you guys are 3/3 at getting through Act 4! Maybe I should have made it a bit more difficult ;)

--

Code:
Table of Heroes:
Forum Name       Class      Char Name        LVL    ACT     Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nanomist         Barb       Ruru             52     A2(NM)  Lut Gholein
jiansonz         Sorc       Fran             49     A1(NM)  Rogue Encampment
T72on1           Sorc       Through_Grief    34     A5      Frigid Highlands
DiablotwoinDC    Necro      Luctus           28     A2      False Tombs
Southpaw8668     Sorc       Trisha           28     A3      Kurast Docks
InsaneWayne      Sorc       Saffron          20     A2      Lut Gholein
Dazliare         Amazon     Athena           20     A2      Lut Gholein
OldSoldier       Necro      Amodan_Crane     15     A1      Black Marsh
Dezrok           Druid      Naruma           ??     A1      Stony Field
mir              Sorc       Isa              12     A1      Stony Field
Arranj           Assassin   Svanhild          1     A1      Rogue Encampment
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Entered Cold Plains with a nice bow (short bow + chipped emerald and topaz) in hand and poison potions on switch. I used the potions to weaken the monsters and the bow to deliver the killing blow. Since I'm not used to do full clears, I was quite pleased with the level I reached before entering Burial Grounds (level 12). Had a tough decision about the merc, but in the end decided I need all the help I can get so went and hired one (fire) before completing Blood Raven quest. :oops:

The fight with Blood Raven was fast and easy thanks to '+1 to static' staff I bought especially for her. The crypt had a very pleasant surprise for me :). After the crypt I decided to improve the bow I had.

ATM my top 3 priorities are:

1. To reach 18 before andariel
2. To find runes for leaf
3. To buy/find a good base for leaf (with enchant & static)

Gemmed Hunter's Bow --> my new bow
Two-Hand Damage: 2 to 6
Required Dexterity: 28
Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x44e70bbd
Adds 6-8 fire damage
Adds 1-3 cold damage over 1 seconds
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Hunter's Bow of Amplify Damage --> this one for my merc
Two-Hand Damage: 2 to 6
Required Dexterity: 28
Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x90d2e6da
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

Biggin's Bonnet --> from the Crypt!
Cap
Defense: 18
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 3
Item Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x9c70f617
+15 to Life
+15 to Mana
+30% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Attack Rating
+14 Defense

Isa, level 12, Stony field

Progress has been slow with Amodan_Crane to say the least. To say more than the least I'll give a brief explanation. The frail necromancer had plugged along with his trusty sidekick/mercenary with a nice stack of javelins and a bunch of thrown potions for damage. His level was rising quickly and even though he wasn't quite to 21 yet, the first chamber in the level 4 catacombs held a champ pack of zombies and some of those lightning hurler types, so he was confident in his ability to get to 21 before facing Andariel, or at least as a result of killing her.

In my mind I was thinking how fortunate I was in being able to get to 21 with a stat-less and skill-less (save the amp damage from a wand he'd picked up along the way) necromancer with less than 100 HP. He wasn't even running any bone armor. My sons are 6 and 7 years old and into the Three Stooges so I was chuckling to myself about how I was going to get to 21 and most everyone else only got to 20, and this popped into my head:
View attachment 6217

But alas, the cruel fates intervened and one of the champ zombies felled poor Amodan_Crane right there in the last easy fight before Andariel. A zombie! Moving as slowly as they do! Not my finest hour. In another thread I had remarked to Jiansonz about how rusty I was and I definitely proved it. I felt like this:
View attachment 6218 That is a picture of my Oldsmobile that I am very slowly restoring from a rusted hulk.

So I decided to make Amodan_Crane over again and deleted his stash and started over with a new character of the same name. I took my lessons learned and cobbled together equipment that gave him 60 additional HP of bone armor and a level 3 clay golem (which actually did pretty well throughout the act). I got a hunter's bow and put some rubies in it and ended up getting /P8 Andariel to the ground with it. I tried to tank her once but she took me from full health (83 HP) plus some of the bone armor down to 14 HP in one swipe so I ran away and didn't do that again.

Amodan_Crane, level 20 bone necromancer, Lut Gholein

Stony Fields, Dark Wood and Black Marsh were uneventful, used the same tactic – soften the big group with poison and kill the survivors with the bow. The bow began to run out of steam in Black March but nothing I managed to socket wasn’t helpful….nothing to do until enchant become available.

The topaz drops were awful, only 3 so far, I used 2 to increase the MF a bit in hope to find some rares on my way to certain dea andariel. So far managed to find 2 rare barb helms and nothing useful.

The tower had some nasty group that provided the first real excitement.

The countesses fell a victim to a strange bug…. She hadn’t moved at all even thought I stood right next to her

And here some action from the black march

The pit was almost the end of the journey when I got surrounded with champion rouges and devilkin near the entrance, if it wasn’t for the shocking potion, I had on switch, it could end right there.

Isa, level 17, outer cloister

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High