1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Re: 1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Hardcore in 1.07? Untwinked? Masochist? ;)

well, with a sorc it might not be that bad... but I think I would still start in Classic just to build up a little stash. 1.07 is BRUTAL...

Best of luck to you!

I was thinking about if it was worth starting in classic before but now I have already installed Lord of Destruction and I don't feel like doing all the DJ'ing again. Maybe it is possible to just uninstall LOD and still keep the Original untouched though.

Anyway, with some patience and focus I hope this will work out. Thanks for the good luck wishes, I'm sure it will be needed.

I have a question about that poison necro of yours. How well is Nova holding up compared to later versions?

I was thinking about if it was worth starting in classic before but now I have already installed Lord of Destruction and I don't feel like doing all the DJ'ing again. Maybe it is possible to just uninstall LOD and still keep the Original untouched though.

I think you can just start a new character (just not an assassin or druid) and uncheck the "Expansion Character" box?

I think you can just start a new character (just not an assassin or druid) and uncheck the "Expansion Character" box?

Ahh, you mean like that. But I thought it was 1.07 that was "BRUTAL" and not the fact that I'm playing the extended version?

Playing classic would mean faster access to hardcore mode though. But then again, I think I'll need all the time I can get to practice not dying.

For starting off from scratch in 1.07, a decent strategy is to make a holy fire pally...they are quick to start, can shop +3 HF scepters from Akara, work great against Andariel, and are great for farming chipped gems. You don't really need to get him past Halls of the Dead in Act II (to get the cube) if you don't want to...his purpose is to quickly net you enuff sapphires to cube a decent bugged MPK ring, along with some other good resistance rings, giving a huge boost to any caster.

I'd suggest going Static Field/Frozen Orb for your Sorc... Static is uncapped in 1.07, so you can sliver anything thats not Lightning Immune, and cold mastery breaks Cold Immunity in 1.07, so FO is very good as well (though you do have to aim differently than in later patches)... I've heard that Blizzard is good as well if you prefer that, but don't go Glacial Spike, the damage is a LOT lower than even completely unsynergized GS in later patches.

WoRG

Excellent suggestions from WoRG. One other thing as far as getting going quickly- once you get a cube in A2 norm, you can cube full rejuv potions and then you won't have to worry about mana potions anymore with the shopping full rejuv method.

Thanks a lot for the tips. Much appreciated.

I will probably try that Holy Fire paladin. I have been thinking of going static/blizz sorc as my main character for a while now. MPK rings will be very useful. Same with full rejuv's.

Other than a sorc, are there any other managable character builds I can try out in 1.07 without much twinking gear?

I'm reading 1.07 Build Guides by galtwish right now.

Edit: Radament has just fallen. SC Isabella is now heading towards the Halls of the Dead.

Last edited:

If you plan to rack with the sorc i recommend maxing teleport after all the damage skills are done (one point in warmth as usual but no more). You will be glad you did it trust me..

Other viable hardcore characters are definately MS/LF amazon. the deaths i have with mine are mostly just clumsy ones.

Best of luck..

Purple are you still playing 1.07?

EDIT: it was asked in my intro thread why I chose a PoisonNecro for 1.07 & I thought I would add it here also, as it's pertinent to this thread (more or less).

Rationale:

1) Curses such as LR, AD, & Decrep all work at full effectiveness against immunes, which are rampant in 1.07. This is a big one. I LAN a good bit (1-2 times a month, usually) with WoRG & since his primary is a SF/Cold Sorc, I thought that LR could serve dual purpose, buffing my poison damage & making his SF effective against LI mobs. To this end, it has worked well and has added a bit of safety/speed to our gaming (more so for him, as trying to run up to a LE to stick them with my dagger while someone is spamming SF is a losing proposition :p). Also, when soloing, I have found that casting AD, let merc get a kill, then CE will mow through packs in very short order.

2) Poison stacking damage/duration from multiple sources seemed like it would take the edge off of no synergies. It does... to a point. PDagger was amazingly effective for a good while with a Cinquedeas blood craft that got a poison affix (blight or some such small one) stuffed with 3 PEmeralds. Add a good head & thats even better. Unfortunately, when I got to NM act4 it started to be less & less effective. In Hell, it hardly works at all (1/4 duration negates most of my damage). However, I have hopes that a greater safety crafted Fanged Knife that rolls Pestilent & Anthrax with another 3 PEmeralds will boost that significantly (just have to hold my breath that I can get both affixes on the same craft :roll: (while I am having a fever-dream, knockback or hit causes monster to flee would be cool, also)). Also, if I can ever get a Trang's Claws that too should help, provided it has the +25% Poison Skill Damage in 1.07.

3) WoRG told me that he didn't think that it would ever work out the way I hoped (in 1.07), and there is nothing surer to make me try something off the wall than telling me it isn't feasible. :badteeth:

all this being said, my Necro is currently parked at act2 in hell shopping/gambling for craft bases having only gotten there by virtue of being dragged along by aforementioned Sorc. I still hold out hope for him, just going to need some better gear first...

anyway, questions/comments?

No poison damage, that was added in 1.10.

Code:
Trang-Oul's Claws
Heavy Bracers
Defense: 69
Durability: 10 of 16
Required Strength: 58
Required Level: 45
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x6c9db720
+30 Defense
Cold Resist +30%
20% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to Curses (Necromancer Only)
The reason people are asking about poison nova is that no current players have maxed that out. People are curious how effective it is in 1.07 at taking out monsters. How well does it do in the act 5 caves in hell for instance? Don't go with the mindset that it is "unsynergized," as synergies were only added because there was no use for low level skills, not to necessarily make skills more powerful. All they did in 1.10 is increase monster hitpoints, and then increase player damage to compensate. Of course they forgot about stat points so they are more worthless in 1.10+. End rant.

Edit: Poison duration stacking is only for ranged weapons, it does not work for melee and does not work for casted poison damage. To verify, stick two emeralds in a socketed ranged weapon and socketed melee weapon and see the difference.

Good luck in old 1.07.

Edit2: MDR is calculated after resistances, so high light resist (60+) and 15-30 MDR will make you immune to LE bolts.

Poison duration stacking is only for ranged weapons, it does not work for melee and does not work for casted poison damage. To verify, stick two emeralds in a socketed ranged weapon and socketed melee weapon and see the difference.
Ummm...have YOU verified this? Melee weapons get the same stacking effect as ranged weapons (and I tested it just now to make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks... I could post screenies if you want...) This does stack with Poison Dagger as well, I believe (Zemaj could say for sure...), but of course does nothing for poison nova...I think that poison on javelins would stack with poison javelin and plague javelin as well, but I haven't tested it, so I could be wrong there.

MDR is calculated after resistances, so high light resist (60+) and 15-30 MDR will make you immune to LE bolts.
This is true, but be careful...if the boss is also FE or CE, the lightning flits will also carry fire/cold damage and can easily overwhelm your MDR...also, sometimes the lightning flits are MUCH more potent...if the sparks are brighter and 'blobby', they hurt a LOT more.

WoRG

ah, thanks for the readout on Trang' Claws... guess I can stop running that Heavy Bracers rack.

Since these gloves are useful for it's fcr and cold resist for some non poison oriented builds, it could be fun to have a pair just for the extra style points. :)

This is true, but be careful...if the boss is also FE or CE, the lightning flits will also carry fire/cold damage and can easily overwhelm your MDR...also, sometimes the lightning flits are MUCH more potent...if the sparks are brighter and 'blobby', they hurt a LOT more.
WoRG

Re LE Uniques:
Very, very nasty... & my resists are stacked & am wearing max mod Safety Armor.... So yeah, watch out for those.

Thanks for the heads up!

Worg and Zemaj:

Thanks for the information, I had not recently tested it so I am just flat wrong. I guess I never tested it in 1.07, just assumed it was the same as 1.09. Now am I wrong about 1.09?

Those "blobby" bolts are hurty. Those only show up for MSLE? I Pat'd my barb over a year ago, but the gear I was wearing made MSLE not hurt. I don't specifically remember stacked CE/FE doing damage, and a quick read of the Pat thread didn't bring up anything. Conviction went right through the resistances / MDR as does OK's and their magic projectile. I remember reading somewhere that the Hell penalty (-100% resistances) also applied to magic resistance.

Helvete:
I do not know. I do have a string of ears now and have been meaning to test it. I have been too busy playing my trap Assassin, now in Act 5 nm.

I have tested the pierce and sorc skills bug, and fireball or glacial spike would be a fun skill with 100% piercing. Fireball didn't seem to do that bad of damage, either.

Ichorsting (50) pierced my two other characters 100% of the time. Doomslinger (35) would always pierce my characters unless I clicked right on the second character in the line. If I clicked the ground in front of the second characters it would pierce. Ichorsting had no problem piercing no matter where I clicked. It didn't seem to work with orb's ice shards, but it did work with ice bolt.

My understanding is that the FELE problems were caused by the increase in monster HP in 1.10.

The number you see with pierce items in 1.07 is actually the skill level so that Ichorstring would get lvl50 pierce and Doomslinger lvl35.

From the patch notes for 1.08:
Code:
- Changed items with pierce to use their pierce value as a percentage 
  instead of as a level in the skill.

Finally racked me one of these:
Code:
Wizardspike
Bone Knife
One-Hand Damage: 11 to 36
Required Dexterity: 75
Required Strength: 65
Required Level: 61
Dagger Class - Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x36b20837
Regenerate Mana 15%
All Resistances +95
Increase Maximum Mana 15%
50% Faster Cast Rate
+138 to Mana (2 per Character Level)

Found a good map for that, 6 teleports from WP, average runtime a little under 16 seconds. No monsters, no chests, just the rack. Thinking of racking another for a yet to be started 1.10a hellforge collector and Andy runner. Kinda tired with that map after running it for over 5 hours today to get this thing, though, so I might reroll for a Shako, Lacquered Plate or Russet Armor rack instead and go for another Wizardspike in the future.

Well done, those 1.07 Wizardspikes are great. Having more than one is nice- I have a bunch and I made a 1.12 FCR Warcry barb who used both at the same time. His resists were taken care of with just those two weapon spots...

Good going on the Wizspike! That makes me think about
firing up my old 1.07 Frenzier again.

Worg and Zemaj:

Thanks for the information, I had not recently tested it so I am just flat wrong. I guess I never tested it in 1.07, just assumed it was the same as 1.09. Now am I wrong about 1.09?

Those "blobby" bolts are hurty. Those only show up for MSLE? I Pat'd my barb over a year ago, but the gear I was wearing made MSLE not hurt. I don't specifically remember stacked CE/FE doing damage, and a quick read of the Pat thread didn't bring up anything. Conviction went right through the resistances / MDR as does OK's and their magic projectile. I remember reading somewhere that the Hell penalty (-100% resistances) also applied to magic resistance.

The "blobby" bolts are indeed MSLE - an item that makes all the difference is something with lightning absorb - Thundergod's Vigor is standard equipment for my 1.09 characters - I don't know if it has the same characteristic in 1.07. But you have to reach the resist breakpoint to make absorb tip the scales. Conviction almost always overpowers that.

Lower Resist impacts magic damage in 1.09 - I assume it does with 1.07 as well. I don't know if Conviction does the same, but I'd say it's a good bet.

Fun! The only 1.13c use that comes to mind is LLD, where that would be pretty stylin'. :)

Nope, the 12 AR/lvl really really helps some builds. Added resists would make the jewelry imba (max possible: 36 single on each ring and 36/36/36/72 on the ammy...)

Well, it wasn't maximal, but I was VERY happy w/this:
Code:
Angelic Wings
Amulet
Required Level: 12
Item Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0x559d004a
Fire Resist +27%
Lightning Resist +26%
Cold Resist +31%
Poison Resist +34%
+3 to Light Radius
20% Damage Taken Goes to Mana

***Partial Set Item Bonuses***
+75 to Life
+1 to All Skill Levels
***Partial Set Item Bonuses***

Gratz on the ring, Zemaj...I should see about spending some of the exploding potions I've collected as well:thumbup:

WoRG

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High