1.07 News, Info and Gossip

I've socketed a few items now - it seems Larzuk will only put 1 socket in a rare item, unless I've been unlucky.

I thought he can put up to 4 sockets into a magical item that can have 4 or more sockets - like an Ancient Armour or Warpike. The most I have got so far is 3 - but admittedly with only a couple of attempts. So can he socket up to 4 on Magical items?

So I've been told (not tested magical socketing myself yet - I'm waiting for that cruel giant thresher of quickness).

Set/Unique/Rare items only get one socket
Crafted can get up to three
Magical can get up to four

Do be sure that the items you are trying to socket can get 4 sockets at the ilvl its at though.

I can confirm that magical armor can receive 4 sockets. I'm kicking myself for doing a full restart and losing my four socketed (all empty) coral gothic plate of the whale :cry:

I can confirm that magical armor can receive 4 sockets. I'm kicking myself for doing a full restart and losing my four socketed (all empty) coral gothic plate of the whale :cry:

I think you lost lots of better items than that when you restarted! :shocked:

Very nice - although some of these are mentioned in Repus'z guide we all know that not all the info is correct - so good to hear confirmation.

Another question (I have many it seems!):
I know that in later versions Multishot only uses the middle 2 arrows to calc its chance to cast, leech etc. I seem to remember reading that in earlier versions ALL arrows counted. Is this true and does it apply to 1.07?

Sorry just realised my question was a little bit unclear - so just to confirm:

ALL arrows count towards leech, ctc etc in 1.07 Multishot?

As far as I could tell with my multi-shot 'zon, leech worked with all arrows, and knockback did as well. I didn't have crushing blow or ctc items on her but I assume they all would work.

I'm thinking of making a MS zon with 100% CB as a cow killer - any thoughts?

+knockback
+full Pierce
+cold dmg for slow or clegs pincers
+100% Crushing Blow
+ctc Amp Dmg if I can get the item(s)

In theory I believe it should work quite well.

I'm sure it would work. I remember multi-shot being one of the higher tier cow-killer skills. Honestly though, unless you're doing it to be different, I still think Lightning Fury is better suited for cow-killing--if only as insurance against killing the king. However, if you're looking for something that can run other areas as well then it might be a good idea.

I must have been unlucky with my Cow levels - I just found one that is much bigger than any I have seen so far in 1.07.

I will still be playing 1.07 but also looking to start fresh in one of the classic versions. - I might try 1.02 for the CE power, havent really decided yet.

I am not sure how viable a barb would be here as I understand the exceptional weapons only started dropping in 1.04.....hmmmm decisions decisions!

AND I still want to give the original Diablo 1 a go as well since I hear it is very atmospheric.

Exceptional weapons drop in 1.0. Also, I'm not entirely sure, but wasn't CE nerfed in 1.01 or 1.02?

Anyway, from a 1.0 perspective, the necromancer is the way to go. A warning, though--only max out iron maiden if you're not playing in a higher players game via multiple instances of the game. It just doesn't scale well with higher players, and is best left at slvl 1 for the blood golem trick. If you're playing on higher levels, I'd suggest going with bone spirit for the initial kill and then CEing your way to victory. It's quite scary how effective that is.

Diablo 1 is awesome. Most people who play the games in reverse complain about the speed of Diablo 1, which is much slower than Diablo 2. YMMV.
G'luck, anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

According to the patch notes I got from battle.net

About the CE bug, under 1.03 Patch Notes:
1.03 under Minor Bugs:
• Corpse Explosion (Necromancer) Reduced the explosion damage so that it is not scaled up for each additional player in the game

1.03 under Balance Changes:
• Corpse Explosion (Necromancer) Reduced the extra radius gained per level of the skill from 1 to 1/2.

About the exceptional items dropping, under 1.04 Patch notes:
1.04 under Major Bugs:
• Lances, Holy Water Sprinklers, Grim Helms, War Clubs, and Stilettos can now be dropped by monsters and chests.

It appears only some exceptional items didn't drop - so WW barb probably good in 1.02.

Looks like a FoH pally might be good as well as conviction would break immunities and had a better effect.

I just posted this in another thread but it answers a question I have had which I forgot to share when I found it.

www.d2realms.com on the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive has all the uniques and sets and some very good 1.07 info on it!

There aren't many immunes in early patches of Diablo 2. I looked it up on the wayback machine and only a handful of monsters seem to have immunities, so, it's not a huge deal.

That's weird about the lance deal, because that's one item I swore I saw. Oh well, guess my memory sucks.

I guess I was wrong about CE, too. What about IM and blood golem? Was that fixed by 1.02 or no?

1.04:
• The Iron Maiden skill now heals a Blood Golem based on the amount of damage done to it rather than the maximum life of the monster attacking it.

1.07:
• Fixed Iron Maiden+Blood Golem bug and increased the Blood Golem's Life stealing.

So looks good for 1.02 still!

Just a silly question. I.ve been playing 1.07 for years and have not found any pieces of the "Griswold" set, or gore riders. Are these items able to drop in 1.07? Thanks.

Gorerider's can drop, according to ATMA.

Also, according to ATMA it looks like the Griswold's set can only be racked, not dropped by monsters.

I have a set of Goreriders - not sure how/where I got them but I don't use them cos they are sucky in 1.07 - No CB or Open wounds

--------------

P.S. About my Classic experiences so far - I posted this in another thread:

I spent most of the weekend playing 1.01 Classic. All I can say is:

NECRO'S are GODS in 1.00 or 1.01.

I am not actually going to continue with 1.01 because it is buggy and Necro's are completely over the top. Really too easy. Max CE and everything on the screen is a 1 hit or 2 hit kill. Not only that - but they have no trouble at all to produce the first corpse for the CE chain. The Golems all seem to do very significant damage (BG and IG used mainly), and the BG+IM bug is in full force. Even so the Necro doesn't even need this. Relative to the low hitpoints of classic mobs, Bone Spirit is extremely powereful and costs way too little mana for its power.

Once you get a few levels it is a walk in the park. Produce your first corpse (easy) Amp and CE - everything dies. Walk forward a bit - wait for a few mobs to arrive and insta kill them from the corpses you have already produced.

This kind of power should cost months and probably years of item accumulation and build fine-tuning.

:shocked:

Last edited:
I would rate myself as a medium to long bearded character there are people around that have played since Diablo 1 and Hellfire - wish I had discovered those! :grin:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High