1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Heh, yeah.

'Zerker: Wack wack, one cow dead.
Sorceress: Cast cast, 15 cows dead.

Edit:

Amazon: Toss toss, 100 cows dead :)

Actually I am convinced the Cow levels on 1.07 are smaller than on later versions. I find it very difficult to herd cows like I used to in 1.09 as I hit the map boundaries too soon. So tend to kill groups as I find them rather than mega herds. So Amazon isn't much of an advantage over sorc IMHO.

Of course it might just be my fading memory or fading skills.....

I don't know if I should share my times, because I'm not sure how long a run is supposed to take...forgive me if I'm slow:shocked:

With that said, I definitely could clear out cows faster with my amazon than my sorceress, though, I was surprised at how well the latter did.

Times:
Amazon: ~6 minutes
Sorceress: ~8 minutes

Those times include getting wirts leg, too.

Regardless, the 'zon is a clear winner in speed. I prefered my sorceress though because she had more uses outside of the cow level.

I'm guessing you mean +1 to a certain sorceress skill tab. +1 to all skills doesn't exist on any magical charm. Too bad:laugh:

AB: Cows ftw! That's how I got my sorceresses up to 81. Cows, cows, cows. It's infinitely better than anywhere else in 1.07. Oh, and I don't understand how characters without crowd control level up, either. That's why I abandoned my 'zerker:p

Sadly this is the case. Its fire skills. Argh. I hate not having D2 loaded on this computer. Or my stashes. I usually check before making outrageous claims.

No worries, I'm sure most of us knew what you meant :laugh:

Still, you're lucky...I've only found three or four crappy skillers :sad2:

+1 to all Passive and Magic skills for the...lose. Heh.

No worries, I'm sure most of us knew what you meant :laugh:

Still, you're lucky...I've only found three or four crappy skillers :sad2:

+1 to all Passive and Magic skills for the...lose. Heh.

I actually quite like P&M skillers. Even if just to prebuff valk! Think about what they give you - more AR, pierce, chance to D/A/E, critical strike and an improved valk and decoy.

No, what you want are +1 to curses for the lose.

Yep I was pretty sure it was a +1 to a skill tree charm but was hoping I was wrong and 1.07 was different in this respect!

Anyone want to comment on my feeling that 1.07 Cow level is smaller than 1.09 Cow levels?

Anyone want to comment on my feeling that 1.07 Cow level is smaller than 1.09 Cow levels?
I leveled my static/orb sorc to 66 there, and it didn't seem any smaller than usual.
That is, with restecp to 1.11 cow levels. I can't say anything about 1.09.

I seem to have used up all my rack running luck. After finally getting two Vamp Gazes, I rolled the map until I got something good - a map with a Russet Armor and devil star rack within 30s of the WP. However after 800+ runs (1600 drops from the two racks) with no gold, I'm starting to wonder if the game doesn't love me anymore.

Just wanted to vent after hours spent for nothing but some gold (been selling the russet armors).

I also want two of each which is just scaring me!

Ouch - thats a lot of runs - essentially 1600 with no gold. I'm probably on 1000 runs with no gold (500 runs on 2 racks) for my Balrogskin/Bone Knife map. Would also like at least 2 of each as well.

I do use a run tracking program but don't really keep a formal history of previous runs.

A bit of good luck though - I had a Gaze drop for me while collecting the leg for a cow run. I always kill the champ mobs on Tristram near Cain (Almost insta kill for a LF zon so not a waste of time) and couldn't believe it when I saw the gold grim helm. I never have any MF on so that was a very pleasant surprise!

At level 76 even clearing whole levels of cows is still slow in terms of experience for getting more levels.

Can't think of anything better though - anyone have any ideas on this?

I know no mob or boss can drop Windforce - what about Chests, Sparkly Chests, and other stash type objects like logs, stashes, urns etc?

According to an article I read Sparkling Chests are a very likely candidate.

-------------------------------------

Also yet another question:
I am trying to get my Barbarian the max possible Battle Orders (Excluding charms as I have yet to see a +warcry charm!)

I have:
BO skill level 20

Two +3 Warcry Weapons = +6
+3 Warcry Amulet = +3
Two SoJ = +2
+3 BO Helm = +3
Beserker Armour = +1
Battle Command (skill) = +1

Total = 20 + 1 + 15 = 36.

So that leaves Belt, Gloves and Boots free - any suggestions for these, including set combinations that might give + skills?

----------------------

Last edited:
Congratz on the Gaze. It is a nice piece of kit. You mentioned you had no MF on, but even if you had, it wouldn't have made much difference. The chances with 0% MFof a Hell champion/unique dropping any unique is 0.4571%. If you load up with 400% MF, the chances raise to a whopping 0.5246%. As you can see, not a huge difference. (to put it crudely, MF in 1.07 is good for making Hell champion/uniques drop sets and NM/Hell bosses drop sets/uniques - nothing else).

AFAIK, chests, sparkly chests, logs etc are still bound by TC and so it is still not possible to get a WF.

Re leveling, you could try Act 5, Nili's temple has the bonus that not only is it a high level area, it is also a good target for rack running (and is IMHO the best place to try and get set/unique/white sacred armor and thunder mauls).

Ok I am going to try crafting for the first ever time. Trouble is I have no idea about some things (and even less about the complicated qlvl/ilvl/clvl problem)

- Can I use magical/rare items to craft with, or must they be white?

- if White, what about superior/ethereal/socketed/cracked/broken etc. and what effect if any this will have on the final craft?

- Can I recraft a crafted item?

- I presume crafting in Hell is same as in Normal?

- I want to craft the highest damage weapon - which recipe do I use? For example the hitpower recipe is the obvious one but it seems that other recipes with perhaps more useful (to me) stats like Magic Dmg Reduction have the same chance for maximum damage.

- How many sockets can I get from a 1.07 crafted item via Larzuk?

- Any other useful tips for the Noob Crafter?

Ok I am going to try crafting for the first ever time. Trouble is I have no idea about some things (and even less about the complicated qlvl/ilvl/clvl problem)

- Can I use magical/rare items to craft with, or must they be white?

Any item quality - white to unique will do.

- if White, what about superior/ethereal/socketed/cracked/broken etc. and what effect if any this will have on the final craft?

Makes no difference - superior items lose their bonuses, not sure about cracked etc, but can't imagine that they would keep their brokeness - still go with at least normal to be sure.

- Can I recraft a crafted item?

Yes.

- I presume crafting in Hell is same as in Normal?

Yes.

- I want to craft the highest damage weapon - which recipe do I use? For example the hitpower recipe is the obvious one but it seems that other recipes with perhaps more useful (to me) stats like Magic Dmg Reduction have the same chance for maximum damage.

In terms of the highest damage, they are all equal. Personally I like the blood recipes for the lifeleach, but if you want the MDR, go for safety. For the most damage, you'd have to use the greater recipies, but as the respective ED%'s are 34-67 and 40-80 and we are talking (for an uber-craft) 400%ED+ you could get a lesser craft that pwns a greater one.

- How many sockets can I get from a 1.07 crafted item via Larzuk?

1-3 - keep your fingers crossed when socketing

- Any other useful tips for the Noob Crafter?

I'd advise at least a lvl 78 character to guarentee at least 3 affixes (hope for cruel, grandmasters, an IAS mod (20 for bows, 40 for melee) and something useful for a 4th affix) and stick with the elitest of the elite weapons for the high qlvls.

yiuman said:
I'd advise at least a lvl 78 character to guarentee at least 3 affixes (hope for cruel, grandmasters, an IAS mod (20 for bows, 40 for melee) and something useful for a 4th affix)

and stick with the elitest of the elite weapons for the high qlvls.

Yet again a very helpful reply - many thanks!

I will probably get at least level 80 - but nearly there now.

Not sure what you mean by Elitest of Elite? Taking Hydra Bow for example - should I craft a shop-bought one or should I preferably use one I found in Halls of Nithliak (not sure of spelling!) with iLvl of 100 or even as RTB suggested in Baals chamber with ilvl of 106 (until you log out)

Now we are getting onto dangerous territory with all this discussion about ilvls (for me!).....

Not sure what you mean by Elitest of Elite? Taking Hydra Bow for example - should I craft a shop-bought one or should I preferably use one I found in Halls of Nithliak (not sure of spelling!) with iLvl of 100 or even as RTB suggested in Baals chamber with ilvl of 106 (until you log out)

Now we are getting onto dangerous territory with all this discussion about ilvls (for me!).....

Nothing to do with shopped or found as my experrments seem to point out that input ilvl has absolutely nothing to do with what affixes you get (which is a real bummer).
What I mean by the elitest of the elite, is the highest qlvl item for each item class, ie hydra bows for the bow class, colossus blades for swords, beserker axes for axes etc basically if you go to the lists of items, I would only craft the one at the bottom as they can get cruel (and I think grandmasters) at any clvl you craft at.

To say it another way - any hydra bow you get is a great weapon to craft regardless of anything else. If (fingers crossed) or when you get the uber-hydra bow you are after, either a zerker/legendary mallet (for a one handed weapon) or a warpike/giant thresher/thundermaul (for a two handed weapon) would be my advice, bought or found, makes no difference as the qlvl for all these is really high.

Edit: Just one other thing, the only way you can get a hydra bow is by shopping it, as its TC is too high for it to drop in any other way. To elaborate, the only way of getting items from TC>66 is to rack or shop them, but racks can't drop bows, xbows, wand, orbs or staves and so the only way to get some of the elite versions of these is by shopping them.

Edit2: I'm also compiling info about crafts, to verify/form theories about exactly how it works, so if you could send me full ATMA readouts of what you get as well as what clvl you were when crafting that would be really useful. Input ilvls would be good to, although as I mentioned earlier, i'm 90% sure that this doesn't have any effect.

Last edited:
hmmm. So as I understand it - the base stats of the original item don't have anything to do with the stats of the crafted item. I could craft a Hydra Bow and get the base damage of a Long Bow (or whatever the base class for Hydra bow is) + recipe Enhanced Damage? I just want the Hydra Bow because of the best chance of getting good mods like cruel?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree again - or just barking!

Base stats like weapon damage matter - its class doesn't change - it stays a hydra bow, stats like the AR or ED on superior don't matter, or whatever its origional affixes were. If you craft a hydra bow, you'll always get the base damage of a hydra bow modified by any ED you get from the craft (recipy or affixes).

Lets see if I can clarify things with an example.

If you craft a hydra bow with base damage 10-68 (these are the 1.08 and later damage - not sure of the top of my head what damage it is in 1.07, but that won't matter for the basis of this example, lets assume you've brought it forward into a later patch).

When you bought it, it has an ilvl of 85 and is a savage hydra bow. When you craft it with your clvl 80 character, the bow 'loses' the savage prefix, it gets 80%ED from the crafting recipy, 300%ED from a cruel prefix, 200%ED from grandmasters and 20IAS (what a bow!), giving it a total of 580%ED

Its base damage (10-68) is then multiplied by 6.8 = 68-462 damage. If you are then lucky with Larzuk it'll get 3 sockets too.

There are two reasons you'd craft a hydra bow, 1) it has the highest average damage of the bows and more importantly 2) it has the highest qlvl (high enough to get cruel and grandmasters independent of ilvl).

So to summarise, you want a hydra bow because it is the only bow with a high enough qlvl to get grandmasters, meaning you'd reduce your theoretical best damage by 50%ED if you used any other bow.

Edit: The bow I described above is nearly impossible to get, add in a +max damage mod as the fourth affix and you'll have the best possible (damage wise) bow in the game. Any bow with 300%ED+ is awesome IMHO.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High