1.00 News, Info and Gossip

I use separate installs. The version switcher gave me issues thanks to window's UAC, so I find it easiest to just maintain multiple folders and rename them as needed.

While looking for information of where to level up in prep for NM Diablo/CS and Hell in general, I came across some great information from Jarulf (of d1 guide fame), here's some of the snippets
Code:
        Level difference Experience given (%) *
mlvl - clvl | clvl < 25 | clvl 25 to 75 | clvl 76 to 80 | clvl 81 to 85 | clvl 86 to 90 | clvl > 90
    >10           5          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
    10            5          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
     9           15          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
     8           36          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
     7           68          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
     6           88          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
     1 to 5     100          clvl/mlvl     clvl/mlvl/2     clvl/mlvl/3     clvl/mlvl/4     clvl/mlvl/5
    -5 to 0     100            100              50.0            33.3            25.0            20.0
    -6           81             81              40.5            27.0            20.3            16.2
    -7           62             62              31.0            20.7            15.5            12.4
    -8           43             43              21.5            14.3            10.8            8.6
    -9           24             24              12.0            8.0             6.0             4.8
    -10           5             5               2.5             1.7             1.3             1
  < -10           5             5               2.5             1.7             1.3             1

* Prior to v1.03, any character with a clvl greater of 75, still recieved the same value as that of a character of clvl 25 to 7

Of particular note here, is how prior to patch 1.03, apparently the additional exp penalties applying to levels above 75 did not work correctly. E.g. a Lvl85 leveling off of Lvl 82's, is supposed to gain 33.3% exp, but will instead gain 100%. A Lv91 against the same monster is supposed to get 4.8% exp, but will instead gain 24% exp.

Code:
  EXP Samples
Name          NM          Hell    mLvl (nm/h)
Diablo     151,405      569,765    65 / 90
Izual      107,573      448,866    54 / 79
Mephisto    55,023      236,152    51 / 76
Duriel      34,446      153,495    47 / 72
Hephaesto    8,412       36,446    50 / 75

Grotesque    5,066       20,942    55 / 80
Urduar       4,661       18,908    57 / 82
Stygian Hag  4,136       17,583    52 / 77
Oblivion Kn. 3,959       16,365    55 / 80
Storm Caster 3,925       16,227    55 / 80
Venom Lord   3,858       15,949    55 / 80
Council Mem. 3,676       15,926    50 / 75
Grot. Wyrm   2,684       11,095    55 / 80

Of particular note, if true, Izual could make for a very good exp target. Also standing out from the list is:
Tal rasha's tombs (Lv68-70, ~6-7k avg with 10k unravellers and 20k sarcophogi)
Act 3 Side Temples (Lv73-75 ~8k avg with some outliers like 10k vamps)
Trav Council Lv75 (+3 for uniques) (avg 16k exp and x3 for the uniques presumably)

Not particularly useful, but interesting is that mlvl apparently very very slightly increases the chances of their drops rolling rare/magic/etc...

More useful, potentially, is according to Jarulf's charts 151% MF is apparently a breakpoint that forces exceptional items to be magic+ only. They also have an inherently increased chance of being rare, presumably because they cannot be unique or set.

Here's the files I'm speaking about: https://web.archive.org/web/*/pf.chemeng.lth.se/diablo2/*

Very useful info, thanks for sharing. Will go over it more some other time.

I've thought about running Izual but the problem is by level 90 or so the additional clvl-mlvl penalty would make it almost useless.

Yeah, for Lv90:

79 Izual: 5% of 448,866 is 22,443.3xp
82 Urduar: 43% of 18,908 is 8130.44xp
84 Champ Urduar: 81% of 56,704 is 45,946.44xp
85 Unique Urduar: 100% of 94,540xp

80 Groteqsue: 5% of 20,942 is 1047.1xp
82 Champ Grot.: 43% of 62,826 is 27,015.18xp
83 Unique Grot.: 62% of 104,710 is 64,920.2xp

Izual
Lv88 @24% xp gives 107,727.84xp
Lv87 @43% xp gives 193,012.38xp
etc..

Additionally getting through the 70's to a level where you start seeing the bigger exp penalties... 74 (93.6% exp) - 85 (100% exp still @ Lv84) could go pretty quickly though. Lv60's would still receive 75% of izual's exp (and Lv70s, 88%), for that matter.

It would be interesting to see how quickly running an urduar champs map would compare to something like p1-2 CS -> p8 Diablo for Lv91/92 characters when the big exp penalties start kicking in for Urduars.

Seeing as there is no players command, I'm all for the champion urdars. Four of them would make for 184k exp per run at lvl 90, which is going to beat big D by miles when they spawn right next to the WP.

Also, you don't really wanna go inside the CS ever with a barb if that can be avoided.

At what point does Diablo give more exp than urdar's? And a reasonable boost such that it is worth a couple of minutes to reach him? Maybe on high player settings with a certain build to clear most of the area (sorc?) and lower his health before the barb kills?

It might be possible to use leap attack (to move and attack) in combination with howl and/or grim totem to do some sort of ghetto variant on the CSZerker. And like WW it wants a big slow hurty stick.

Past that Sorc and necro can certainly do CS. The latter is probably significantly safer in HC, though, particularly if investing in CC curses. A mojomancer, in general, should be pretty viable, for something 'different' that one doesn't see much of these days. IM + Attract is a thing, for example.

If the only goal is Lv93 for gambling, though, it's probably not worth it. Lv92->93 would be pretty rough on Ulduars, but probably still faster than setting up a dedicated CS runner.

Presuming one could get a reasonably fast and safe seal clearer, would Diablo suddenly be a useful/interesting MF target? Other than (presumably uncommon) iLvl 90 rare amulets.

Yeah helvete's method with the Urdars is the way to go until level 93.

Diablo isn't a good source of MF because they only drop decent the first kill. Basically the only good target is the Cow King. Everything else should be gambled or possibly some luck. As you mentioned, Diablo doesn't drop amulets as part of his "common" TC so there near impossible to get one from him.

Oh, I don't remember reading comments on this about hybrid rares, but does anyone know if the number of affixes changes when items are brought forward? I tested just a few items with only 4 affixes which didn't seem to change (I guess in theory it could have been apparently lowered by mixing, though I didn't observe it) but until now I've mostly been saving most rare boots/gloves/rings/ammies and some belt/armor/helm but in order to be a bit more organized I'm thinking of only sticking with 5+ affix rares for non-jewelry.

Has anyone experienced this glitch before? Stamina bar was blue, did not lose stamina while running. No, I didn't have a stamina shrine at all before this happened. Did have a skill shrine a minute or so before I noticed this and took the screenshot. I haven't been able to reproduce the glitch. This was back in nightmare act 2 btw.
View attachment 6134

In other news, the barb above is now a Baron!
View attachment 6135

I was planning on running some hell cows now but heck, they are tough. I've even died once or twice in nightmare cows this morning after doing a few runs.

I've seen that glitch a time or two before, but I've not any hints as to what causes it.

Bit of a progress report:

UjG72X4.png

Wrapped up NM last week, and finally got a halfway decent cows map for my barb. I'm finding my blaze sorc is great at doing full cow clears, but has a really hard time having the cow king's death spot be consistent enough to start having predictable enough drop patterns so as to not need like... every unique he can drop ever in order to get a rares cascade. Plus the movement requirements for laying down a blaze trail seems to make sure you hit every possible LE bolt.

The future GFbarb's gear is starting to shape up as well:

aQhjN4Jl.png

The cow king patterns I've had the most luck with thus far has been great for failed unique pikes. Naturally, my barb is a polearm user.

What is blocking like in 1.00? The only character I'd probably go down the max (or near max) block would be the paladin anyway, but is it as easy to achieve to 1.00 as it is in the later patches?

Far easier. Doesn't depend on dex at all. What your shield says, your block will be. Only exception is with a twitch, where you have to add in the extra block.

Far easier. Doesn't depend on dex at all. What your shield says, your block will be. Only exception is with a twitch, where you have to add in the extra block.

Great, so just a reasonable amount of dex to help with the AR. Ta muchly.

So, after many, many cow king runs and gambling sessions, I'd like to show off some of the items I've found for my barb! Also got to lvl 61, which is about as far as I usually get in classic, since I only solo play. I tend to lose motivation to get lvl 70+.

Also started a paladin, with the same plan I used to baron a pally in 1.06, which is a hammer/conc/smite build, though smite usage drops off later in the game. I assume that concentration does affect blessed hammer but it's not shown in the character screen, right? I think that's the way it was in 1.03 which was the earliest patch I played a hammerdin. Also, when using holy shield, I remember the block chance shown can go above 75% but is this a display thing only, or can the block chance actually go above 75?

Can anyone confirm whether mace mastery works for staff weapons in 1.00? I did a quick test by starting a barb, played until I got a point in the mastery and found and equipped a staff and it didn't seem to do so. But I didn't do any extensive testing to see if it does work but just not shown on the character screen.

Been doing a little bit of goldfinding:
View attachment 6311
Very nice! Might become handy if I go for dual Patriarchs setup at some point.

Prototype of the end game belt:
View attachment 6313
Perfect extra gold % and cold damage (again, might be needed if I go with Patriarchs), everything else is just a plus.

Very nice. I'm considering just gambling for Rattlecage, but then again, I don't really mind using a pike for weapon. Lvl 91 pretty soon. Some 30M to go, I think. And the risk of death... well... Drinking that much would be more likely to result in MY death, than the death of my character.

I've got all five characters (and a mule) deep into Act 2 normal and I've found about 15 set items and perhaps a half a dozen uniques; the strange thing is the vast majority I these have come from clickables. Is this normal? I don't feel comfortable running multiple instances, so, other than babysitting the mule character, the majority of the time is spent with a party of one. Whould that impact the drops I getting from clickables?

Last edited:
Statistically improbable, but far from "weird" or anything. Sets are more common than rares, and set/rare/uniques never drop from bosses or champions, which might make it seem like all the good stuff comes from normal monsters and clickables. Because it actually does. Only normal monsters, clickables, act bosses and the Cow King can drop set/unique.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High