1.00 News, Info and Gossip

Congrats on the King! Yes, hell CK drops a lot of rares. Mostly due to his high chance of exceptional items, and none of these can be unique.
Is this the only patch where ww hits every frame? I am really enjoying playing a patch where physical fighters don't feel so useless next to spell casters but being so limited on weapon choices for a barb and amazons having their main weapon busted is no fun. I also like that farming is a lot less tedious than later patches. The cow king actually feels rewarding to do. When do they fix the weapons and when do they adjust ww down?

I think 1.04 was the OP bowazon patch, mentioned somewhere above here, and I think WW got nerfed with 1.04 as well. Maybe a slight nerf in 1.01 or 1.02 halving the damage bonus, but also the mana cost.

Lances drop from 1.04 and on, but they nerfed the Cow King (only one kill) with patch 1.02

@pharphis gongrats for King Grapes :D Nice achievement! Haven't made mine a Baron yet, lol.

Thanks!

I've always found these kind of quirks very interesting myself, and I used to (many years ago) be a system administrator with a strong passion for programming so I always found myself trying to understand what's going on in the technical aspects.

The way I played the barb was mostly killing champion and minion packs in RoF and CotD. I actually found that to be a lot of fun. I would usually do CS runs with my Sorc in TCP/IP games so my Barb could kill Diablo by himself in 8-player games, so I guess I got some good experience from that as well. Even with the occasional EXP shrine that my Sorc found in CP or SF!

But mostly just champions and minions. There were many runs...

As for other characters, I did indeed have a Sorc which I used. Since spells don't have a timer, the spells are nerfed in that sense because they cost so much mana and you can't just spam 20 frozen orbs or spawn 10 hydras to quickly kill a pack of monsters.

Charged bolt, nova, lightning, chain lightning and thunder storm are all terrible spells. Can't even clear kill creeps in one player games in Hell Act 4, they are all utter trash.
Why? Because lightning mastery only reduce the mana cost of the lightning spells. Well played Blizzard....

Ice bolt, ice blast, frost nova, blizzard and frozen orb are not good spells either. I mean, frozen orb does a ton of damage (and has that quirky behavior as in 1.07 that you need to aim on the side of monsters) but cost more
than 75 mana at a decent level. Glacial spike is actually pretty decent though with good FCR in one player games.

Fire bolt, fire ball, inferno, blaze, fire wall and hydra is bad as well. Fire wall is probably the best spell the sorceress has in terms of damage, but too bad that it costs 75+ mana at a decent level making it useless.

So what am I trying to say? Well unfortunately for sorceress' there really is only one build that is optimal in 1.00, and that is static field + a spell to finish creeps of. Meteor has a lot of damage like fire wall and costs half
of what frozen orb, hydra and fire wall does and has a nice AoE. So you put 1 in lightning mastery, enough in teleport for it to be very low mana cost with your +skill on gear, max static field, warmth, meteor and fire mastery. You want good damage on your
meteor against monsters with high lightning resistance.

This is by far the best 1.00 character in terms of kill speed if you want to get a high level character, as you simply teleport to the seals, drop one or two meteor and cast static field untill monsters are dead. Rinse and repeat on all seal minions and kill Diablo.
With the 12,5% chance to get a rare item from minions you can find some very good items this way as well, although I preferred to run gold find runs with my barb and level him instead. If I remember correctly my sorc was at least level 92, so not too shabby.
Just make sure you have a good shield, lots of resistance and lots of life so you can tank the creeps while they burn up from meteor and static field. 63%+ FCR, 30% faster block rate on shield and 48%+ FHR is required as well, mine had 86%+ FHR I beleive. Alternatively you could use Wall of the Eyeless with low block to free up 20% FCR and just tank the damage instead. Also has the nice MPK mod.

Then you have the Cheese'o'mancer. Honestly, it's pretty good but nothing like the Sorc or the Barb. Thing is that it rocks in player one games, but with more players it takes too much time to get the first corpse. Poison Nova sucks, so you have to use bone spirit or bone spear and even with Lower Resistance that takes a while.
If you enjoy clearing CS in player one games then the Necro works wonders with CE obviously, and you can farm items with bone wall.

Never really enjoyed the Paladin in 1.00, but you can run a Hammerdin with concentration. It was a bug back then, and it does a ton of damage. Works very well, especially in one player games. Then you the thorns paladin which is super broken as well in player one games.
More monsters only increase health in 1.00, so the thorns effect is not as strong then.

Amazons sucks. Bows damage doesn't work and the spells are alright I guess, but cost a lot of mana and is kind of awkward with pierce. And since Javelins can only be as good as superior you cannot have attack speed on them. Doesn't matter though because the javelin skills sucks as well. :p
Amazons however is probably my favorite one player CS clearer in 1.04 with multi arrow and a good bow. It is super fast and super fun to play! Probably the fastest full clear one player CS runner in pre-lod, but only 1.04 though because of the "nice bugs". :)

I have always been kind of an optimalist when playing Diablo 2, so I only really cared about the barb, sorc and 1.04 bowazon. I am sure you can find viable builds in one player games, but that is not my cup of tea.

However, the one build I found fun to play which was not optimal by any sense of the word was my Singer barb. I made Freddie in 2009 (https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/freddie-the-in-progress-hc-untwinked-1-06-singer.746534/) and actually proved to be a useful character in player one games. So I made one in 1.00 too with my uber gear, and he is a beast. :d There's this technique you can have where your war cry hits a monster twice, effecitvely doubling your damage which makes the build pretty good in terms of kill speed, you just have to pick up all mana potions and rejuvination potions and spend time using 'Find Potion' if it doesn't

Thanks a lot for a thorough answer, really helpful! :)

Do you remember your life/mana ratio you ended up with your Sorc? And did you use ES?

Could be really fun to see a pre-lod bowazon at its best. What were the main reasons for 1.04 besides that bow damage works unlike in 1.00? Do you need high life to survive or can you go with a lot of dex?

I think I'd really like to explore more of some classic builds once I've less things to do in 1.13 LoD :p

@imakeigloospat could you do something for me? Generate a bunch of ilvl 89 amulets (just short of +2 skills in LoD) and forward them? If you don't get a single +3 amulet from whatever you previously got several from, then we'll know that the magic_level of 2 disappears upon forwarding. IF you were to get a +3, then it does NOT disappear, which will make it less attractive to get to lvl 95 in 1.00.... Furthermore, IF you encounter a single +4 amulet, then we'll know that the magic_lvl is retained, and there will be absolutely no need to level past 93.

+3 is possible, just got one from an ilvl 89 amulet. Got two from 160 amulets. I am not sure how the +3 makes a difference though? Wouldn't that just be +2 pre-lod affix fused with +1 lod affix? I guess there is something I am missing.

+4 doesn't seem possible. I get a lot of +2/+2, but those are both prefixes from pre-lod affix pool I guess. I could be wrong though, and that I am just unlucky but I don't have patience to try 1000+ amulets. I wish I did though..

@pharphis gongrats for King Grapes :D Nice achievement! Haven't made mine a Baron yet, lol.

Thanks a lot for a thorough answer, really helpful! :)

Do you remember your life/mana ratio you ended up with your Sorc? And did you use ES?

Could be really fun to see a pre-lod bowazon at its best. What were the main reasons for 1.04 besides that bow damage works unlike in 1.00? Do you need high life to survive or can you go with a lot of dex?

I think I'd really like to explore more of some classic builds once I've less things to do in 1.13 LoD :p

Glad I can help!

I didn't use ES, but that could be interesting I guess. Although I never had issues dying, which I guess come from the fact that player 8 monsters have the same damage as player 1 monsters. They die as fast in player 8 anyway due to static field. -_-

Bow damage works, but if you read the patch notes in 1.05 you can see

Code:
[LIST]
[*]The Amazon's Strafe skill now correctly enhances base bow damage rather than total bow damage.
[*]The Amazon's Guided Arrow skill now enhances base bow damage rather than total bow damage
[/LIST]

So basically, Guided Arrow and Strafe is A LOT stronger. Although I mostly used Multi Arrow for killing all creeps off screen. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And there is only one way to play the Bowazon... all dexterity baby!

Back to these items. I think for LOD the real use is not limited per say, but mostly to rings, amulets, gloves and boots which brings something unique, new and beyond what is possible in LOD to the table.

For classic 1.10+ however, I think these items completely and utterly destroys the whole game.
Weapons can now obtain 300% ED (in classic, the max is 200% and is built from two prefixes that ranges from 1-100% ed), 80% IAS (40% for bow), -60% req, +4 skills, 40% FCR (note that scepters can't have +4 paladin skill because the +2 from pre-lod would convert to sorc, so it would be +2/+2. Still, +2 sorc / 40% FCR scepter in classic is broken as hell or a +4 necro / 40% FCR wand. Same goes daggers, which would be +2 barb / +2 necro).

Helms can have 120 life or 44% FHR or 400% ED or +30 dexterity.. Body armors as well, where 60% -req would be useful too, or 100% poison length reduction. Or you know, belts with +40 strength. o_O

Gloves with tons of stats, 30% IAS, 70% MF or 200% GF. Same goes with boots, just replacing IAS with 70% FRW.

Imagine shields in 1.10+ classic with 40% increase blocking and tons of other stats... Shields with +2 sorc skills and a ton of resistance.

But most importantly is the 20% FCR amulets and rings. This is an enormous game changer in classic, making it possible to hit break points one has never been able to hit before, making characters that much stronger.

I won't do any more research on this subject because I don't really have time, and there's a good reason I quit Diablo 2 some years ago. It just draws me back, and I can't spend time on it so I will just have to uninstall it again. I have another side project in Diablo 2 already which is more than enough.

Anyways, good luck further and hopefully you find some real use for this. I'll hang around so let me know if I can help with anything. And I am waiting to try out the Diablo 2 classic and LOD beta GalaxyHaxz is cracking. :)

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the maggot bosspacks in RoF change ALL of the minions and maggot young to an orange colour? Very weird.

Also, You can get maggot bosspacks when maggots don't roll as a monster in the RoF (I'm not sure if this happens with other monster types but I noticed it with maggots back in normal or nm or something

I'm struggling to get a map with urdar bosses near the WP. When I do get them, do I want unique Urdars for better exp and champions for better gold? Or do champions have the same +mlvl bonus?

edit: can someone also remind me on ideal gear breakdown for GF? I'm built for using a pike but if it's worthwhile I might run champions with my lvl 47 barb until he reaches high 80s using 2x patriarchs (my understanding is I probably want rattlecage for that, though)

Bosspacks aren't tied to be the same monster type as the rest of the spawn anywhere, I think, because that happens a lot.

The color thing also happens to urdars, and probably many other monsters.

You'll want a map with four champions. At your level, they don't HAVE to be urdars, but it is a plus. Those corpse spitter things are only two levels behind. I think the level bonus +3 for bosses, but I'm unsure about their minions. Champions get +2, and will give more drops.

Actually, I think the minion colour change for maggots (and maybe other monsters as well) occurs WHEN they aren't one of the monster spawns in the area.

My guess as to why this might be is that the colour isn't selected in some way because the monster isn't selected for the area, which leads to all the minions being the same colour. (I don't know the order of generation or anything so purely a guess... @GalaXyHaXz probably can figure it out)

Then again, I don't think they are always all the same colour.. I'll run my map a few more times to check
edit: on this map I think they are always the same colour.
edit 2: nope! not always all the same colour

Last edited:
The forward rares thingy seems to not allow LoD-only affixes, like +skilltab or CtC/charges type of stuff. Judging from a very small sample, but I got identical results when forwarding to classic and to LoD.

Well that's probably because the item's version still dictates what to allow. But the old "legacy" support also allows the prelod pool.

Amazon's suck in 1.00 because pierce is capped at 50%. They fixed that in 1.01 and the bow damage in 1.04. They then gave a small Nerf in 1.05.

WW got a small Nerf in 1.01. The big Nerf came when 1.03 got rid of it attacking twice. Then 1.04 fixed lances, so it sort of made up.

What an interesting last 3 pages... might have to put 1.14 down and bring a few batches of rares forward. Keep posting the photos of the crazy rares!

What an interesting last 3 pages...

Ditto. I don't know yet what to make of these insane items, but it sure is fascinating to see new things discovered about this 17 year old game.

My 1.00 characters are currently at lvl 13, and leveling them is not on my priorities right now, so it will take a while until I can even dream about this stuff :) But I'm nonetheless very interested about this turn of events. It's always exiting to see new discoveries.

Although, it might be best to survey a bit what the forum wide consensus about these items is, before using them. I know a lot of people are on the fence about time travel stuff to begin with, so I can understand how some might think this is too much.

To the HC players: 1 pt in shout is helpful especially for hell cow king. 110% (because of battle command) makes quite the difference for my chance to be hit by monsters at my lvl (83) going from 31% to 24% (Iron skin is lvl 15 or 16 atm) and it makes a noticeable difference vs king since the difference is probably even bigger...

What lvl is cow king, btw? I've already had several close calls while whirling through cow mobs, though shout helps a lot. Of course, if you can manage it you'll want a map with minimal crowds in the way but I don't have that luxury atm.

This would make it a LOT more fun to use this set for twinking:
View attachment 5874

EDIT: Okay, now this is weeeeird....

I always kill the Cow King after I finish a gamble session. In this particular session, I had gambled Cleglaw's Claw, the set Small Shield. When I killed the CK, he dropped Tancred's Skull, which I just picked up, and didn't ID at the time. So far, so good.

But then I copied the entire character, and opened him in 1.10a

Now, the Small Shield was "Civerb's Cudgel", and it claimed I also had "Civerb's Ward", as that text was green instead of red. Believing I would ID the set Bone Helm to be Civerb's Ward, I did. However, it turned out to be "Cleglaw's Pincers"! And all of a sudden, the Civerb's Cudgel Small Shield forgot all about me having another piece of the set....

Last edited:
Well that's probably because the item's version still dictates what to allow. But the old "legacy" support also allows the prelod pool.

Amazon's suck in 1.00 because pierce is capped at 50%. They fixed that in 1.01 and the bow damage in 1.04. They then gave a small Nerf in 1.05.

WW got a small Nerf in 1.01. The big Nerf came when 1.03 got rid of it attacking twice. Then 1.04 fixed lances, so it sort of made up.
Is multiple shot viable then for CS? @imakeigloospat, I think you mentioned you tried this a little bit. If I were to try to ever reach lvl 99 I guess it would have to be a CS runner... and in HC the only viable sounding thing that would be not incredibly slow would be sorc or zon, I would think?

Anyway, if MS is viable, what kind of bow is best and what stats are ideal in terms of max dmg range, ias, etc.
Cow King keeps giving me bows so I figure I should pay closer attention.

I haven't tried MS but know that it only does 3/4 weapon damage. Few know this, but it was always this way until 1.10 displayed that it did.

Couple that with the bow dmg bug and ohh.... I would go immolation/strafe. If you stick with 1.00, freezing arrow will help. Get a gothic bow with as much leech and ar possible. Iceblink doesn't seem to work with ranged weapons. Boo.

I see in treeharl's guide that pike is best found from cow king in NM. I'm guessing this is based on the affixes in the table since there are no ED affixes in the table for hell and a couple of useless ones in the hell table...

Well, I'm getting sick of hell cow king being scary. I've had many NDEs already (w/ 2700 life). I think I'll give NM a try until I get a really good pike and then revisit cow king in hell or finally hunt down a pack of urdar champions.

NM runs are also a lot faster. Apart from 15@ on rings, I don't think hell has any desirable affixes compared to NM.

I'm still getting decent exp from Maw Fiend champions at lvl 90. Very noticeable since the runs are so quick.

Also, I found out that different set items can become the same set item when forwarded. Both Cathan's Seal, Tancred's Skull and Tancred Amulet became Cleglaw's Pincers. A shame, really, since those gloves actually make sense to use for some characters.

The Isenhart's Lightbrand ring, however, replaces a weapon, and weapons have always been the weak spot in sets.

I don't remember reading this though it was probably mentioned.. but blues also reroll upon forwarding. I guess it's nowhere near as powerful as the mixed affix rares, though.

What lvl is cow king, btw?

Cow king in hell is mlvl 81.

Also in personal news, I finally beat Diablo in hell... Kind of a pain with only iron maiden and blood golem but still possible. I regret putting points in revive because I never use them. Anyway, I've been grinding cow king in every difficulty for a week or so, looking for good maps and such.

Edit: does anyone have any idea why they designed Diablo II so that you couldn't buy mana potions at all? Would have saved me many points in energy. Not that I need the points for vitality, really... The blood golem/iron maiden makes me pretty unbeatable in most situations but...

A question: do Blessed Aim give the Paladin a hidden 5% AR bonus per point spent in 1.00?

Ok finally got a very safe hell cow map that is incredibly fast. I was just switching b/w nm and hell more until I got a close tristram portal, then I would try cow king, which is only a screenlength away and the only bad mod is aura enchanted... thankfully I kill him fast enough that even with might king is dead before there are crowds to worry about.

So far nothing good dropped but I have at least SEEN a pike, so that's a start.
If I want rattlecage, do I have to gamble it or hope for a random drop? I don't see that king can drop gothic plates.

edit: holy crap that map sucked and so does every map I find. I can't find pikes at all, and not even many rings.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High