1.00 News, Info and Gossip

6 max, so best possible would be 2/10 with 24@, with one resist at 73, then maybe 119% extra gold and some amount of life or str.

However, this requires item level 90 -2 so must be gambled, as Diablo himself doesn't drop amulets (to my knowledge).

You can also save up skulls and reroll any rare amulet with 6 perfect skulls in 1.06b - this will set ilvl to 99, making any affix available.

You the man!

I haven't traced the code but if I had to guess, the bug has to do with the host character's name string/life bar. The host character may click on a guest. The guest character may click to accept trade but CANNOT hover over the character to trigger the Name/Life bar. Even if the window isn't active, moving under the guest's cursor will trigger the exception. As far as I know it has nothing to do with any quest. It's probably a bug in the syncing functions for Client->Server. I haven't had this issue in 1.01+ so they definitely put this one on the big list.

I've been dealing with this since last night. I just looked at my barb and he had 1233/777 life in his bulb. I went to Akara and it didn't fix itself. I removed my barbs helmet that offered +37 life and put it back on. My health corrected itself. Now I no longer get a crash when I put my cursor from the Guest character to the Host character. I had six crashes with three different characters after placing the cursor on the host. All within the same game.

Game is still up and running right now. I would make sure your hosts life is correct the next time this happens.

If you go out of town and BO you should be fine. Or just make sure to leave the game after BO runs out before hosting a new one.

Interesting thought regarding hybrid sets... I discovered these two items:
View attachment 7371 View attachment 7372

Pair these two with the original (1.10+) gloves, and you'll get:
Knockback
6% DUAL leech
Slow 25%
20% IAS
25% CB
+2.5 AR/lvl
... And the freedom to choose ANY weapon, even bows!

Looks like a killer twink option for bowazons, right? Especially if you want one pre-1.13 where respec isn't an option?

Required level 4...

Interesting development here! It's a shame you can't use that in 1.09 for a killer Guided+Pierce zon. I tried out all sets to see what morphs. Here's the table:
Code:
Classic Set               Morphs into (1.10+)      Base Item
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleglaw's Brace           Civerb's Cudgel          Grand Scepter
Hsarus' Defense           Civerb's Icon            Amulet
Civerb's Vestments        Civerb's Ward            Large Shield
Cathan's Traps            Cleglaw's Claw           Small Shield
Tancred's Battlegear      Cleglaw's Pincers        Chain Gloves
Milabrega's Regalia       Cleglaw's Tooth          Long Sword
Isenhart's Armory         Hsarus' Iron Fist        Buckler
Iratha's Finery           Hsarus' Iron Heel        Chain Boots
Vidala's Rig              Hsarus' Iron Stay        Belt
Berserker's Arsenal       Iratha's Coil            Crown
Sigon's Complete Steel    Iratha's Collar          Amulet
Death's Disguise          Iratha's Cord            Heavy Belt
Infernal Tools            Iratha's Cuff            Light Gauntlets
Arcanna's Tricks          Isenhart's Case          Breast Plate
Angelic Raiment           Isenhart's Lightbrand    Broad Sword
Arctic Gear               Isenhart's Parry         Gothic Shield

Last edited:
Ah, so any one piece from a given set will morph into the *same* piece of another? That should make for some interesting options... If you don't want the knockback from Cleglaw, you can use tancred boot, armor or amulet...

And the entire Iratha's set is available as different items o_O

Shame there is a lot of items missing. Would love a death's weapon morphed into a shield or ring.

EDIT: So a Civerb shield should remain unchanged? The most promising seems to be avoiding use of a set weapon, although Civerb scepter is actually quite reasonable to use for twinking.

EDIT2: Sigon shield instead of using an amulet for iratha set should provide some extra safety, not to mention the free amulet slot. Use the morph belt for CBF as well.

Last edited:
You are correct Helvete, any item in a given set will morph into the same item when brought forward (Civerb's Ward is the only one that works). This should lead to some kinky mix-matching. Although the Cleglaw is probably the best.

@pharphis This bug is so stupid it's not even funny. Hybrid rares are actually randomized, where as sets are not. Prior to 1.10, all set items and the bonuses were in a file called "SetItems.txt". In 1.10, they changed it so each individual item is stored in "SetItems.txt" while the complete set bonuses are in "Sets.txt". The problem is they didn't update the conversion code, so each set item get's its' inherent ID from the individual items in SetItems, which previously contained all sets itself. Would be really easy for them to fix this!

Edit: updated the above table for readability

Edit #2: Now imagine this for twinking:
1.10 Cleglaw's Pincers (Gloves)
1.10 Isenhart's Horns (Helm)
1.00 Milabrega's Robe (Armor)--Cleglaw's Tooth
1.00 Cathan's Seal (Ring)--Cleglaw's Claw
1.00 Arctic Binding (Light Belt)--Isenhart's Parry
1.00 Angelic Halo (Ring)--Isenhart's Lightbrand
1.00 Arcanna's Sign (Amulet)--Isenhart's Case

This would give you BOTH full set bonuses of Cleglaw and Isenhart at Clvl 8, freeing up weapon, shield, and boots. If you wanted a different belt for 4 rows and no knockback, you could also do:

1.00 Arctic Mitts (Light Gauntlets)--Isenhart's Parry
1.00 Tancred's Hobnails (Boots)--Cleglaw's Pincers

Which takes up the boot slot but frees up the belt..............

And to top it all off, a bugged Raven Claw with level 33 arrows!

Last edited:
This one dropped, I challenge you all to find a better normal armor on 1.00. Even the 75% pdr is there!

View attachment 4762

I finally did it!

View attachment 7403

Also in regards to overall 1.00 progress, i've found a wealth of good items but nothing so far has motivated me to start an amazon. I've beat the game with ever other class, but I'm feeling that zon will be difficult so i've put it off.

e/ also some other items i've found lately which i don't think i shared
View attachment 7404 View attachment 7405 View attachment 7406

Last edited:
Those items are beautiful. I really like that ring.

Question: These Superior Mage Plates that drop. If I forward them to 1.13, will they have the same defence as their 1.13 counterparts?

I'm also struggling with putting together what prefixes/suffixes and how many are possible to spawn on items. Is there a link available to that information? I haven't had time to go through all 28 pages of this thread but will hopefully have time sometime this week.

I saw what Treeharl posted regarding the affix tables. However, I'm unsure of what exactly can and cannot spawn.

*puts in wooden teeth*
I cannot tell a lie, I can't wrap my head around playing a zon in 1.00. I've only /ever/ played bow zons and usually use strafe. But I get the impression that one has to use javs because of the bow ED bug.

re: affixes, there's no "magic only" affixes, if that's what you mean. If an affix can spawn on a magic item of a given type, it can also spawn on a rare of that type. Up to 6 affixes, 3 pre- and 3 post-, afaik

So, I started an Amazon, and it's been pretty slow going. Jab is insanely good (being frozen AND decrepify do NOT slow the attack speed of jab!!!). But without magic, rare, or unique javelin-class weapons, it loses power pretty fast. I twinked this character with some goodies including a twitch, bloodfist, and some other stuff. Then at clvl 25 i gifted her a pair of superior harpoons, just for use as a melee weapon. Still not that great, I'm afraid. Also gave her a failed unique 130 dmg pike for jabbin'; damage with it is great but shieldless is no bueno so i don't use it that much.

She's currently at lvl28 in nm act4 (I did self-MP with my sorc to help her along a bit. zon in 1.00 is hard stuff!!). And let me tell you, this is one of the most difficult Diablo 2 experiences I have had. More pics coming later but, I did encounter this which seemed strange-- is this something that is possible in later patches? Or have I just never noticed it?
View attachment 7543

I've converted all of my 1.00 characters to 1.05b and I'll be starting a bowazon there to finish off my classic penta-char completion. Playing an amazon in 1.00 was so difficult in Heck Difficulty that I just tapped out altogether. I had been getting rather bored in 1.00 anyway because of how easy it is to get insanely good items.

So, farewell for now.

I intend to return to 1.00 but I'll be doing so in a fresh state.

@Barl Amazons are great in 1.05. The biggest letdown in 1.00 is that pierce is capped to 50% (on top of ED bug)

Jab works wonders with Lances now that you can find them. Multishot is also sick, and Immo Arrow is good for stacking.

Alright - started my 1.00 run too. Like @helvete mentioned in his guide I started with 8 dudes (2 barbs and 6 sorcs) 2 of which are leveled (1 barb and sorc obviously).
Quick question cause I havent quite found the time to read the whole thread: can u mule with atma in 1.00 ?

atma doesn't work pre 1.07 and I'm not sure it works at all in any later classic version, either. Probably not

I hope Gheed makes use of all those precious gold coins...
These boots are a start, but I'm wondering how often it's actually supposed to roll "+20" but you get 19 due to the n-1 bug. I see 19 quit a bit, some I'm guessing this would be the case here.
Also, I dug more into the item/affix generation code, and will post some info on that at a later date.
View attachment 7873

a bit off topic here but, if you're as interested in classic diablo II as i am, give this forum archive a look: http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101

it covers from september 1999 to april 2001, so pre-release to a bit before the expansion's release in 2001. many of the classic bugs we are aware of now (n-1, the 4x monster AR, etc) are discussed there and it's super interesting to me. jarulf is even present here and he's one of the first people i can identify as being interested in and able to gather technical info about the game.

the only problem is, there is no search function. i tried to make an archive with a script but it took more than 24 hours and the script crashed. is there anyone here who could archive, analyze, sort, and make a working sort function for these forums? i feel like it's important to the game's history.

@Barl I've ran into that site before but I thought It was only 20 pages long lol. Thanks for pointing out it covered back to 1999.

There is a wealth of information on this old website. In particular, there is quite a bit of info on both the Classic and LoD beta. I was checking April 2000 (pages 350-360) and stumbled upon a hidden gem. The patch notes from the original beta!

You can view a copy of everything below, but in particular I'd like to point out the following changes:
* Starting Radius for Static Field decreased.
* Static Field should no longer go through walls.
* Players should not be able to get multiple quest items by trading.
Apparently, Static Field was just disgusting during the beta. It did a whopping 33% damage, it went through walls, and even had a minimum damage of 1! This means you could actually kill monsters with it. The Sorceress was nerfed pretty hard before 1.00 came out. Apparently MS was nerfed too, multiple arrows would hit the same target (I though that was the case in 1.00?).

Overall, it seems Static Field was originally intended to be a continuation of 'Apocalypse' from the first game. It was just as powerful. The next note about quest items. Does that mean we could've got infinite Skill Books/Elixirs from the Radament/Alkor quest?

Anyway, this is a cool find. There are a few posts by Jarulf way back. I'll try to go through all 300 pages when I get the time. But for now, you can search by doing the following in google:

(It seems Blizzard likes to nerf everything upon the 10th patch, i.e. 1.10 for the final game)
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diablo II will default to DirectDraw after this patch. To change video
display options, please run VidTest.exe located in your Diablo II Beta
directory. 

General/Interface Changes
* Changed Gold drop/deposit/withdraw screen
* Chat and Message Log can be displayed at the same time.
* Shortcut Descriptions for page up and page down are now different.
* 'N' key now clears text messages in trade and stash screens.
* Automap is recentered after exiting game and creating a new game.
* New Player Icon Scroll buttons have been added to the chat interface.
The smaller top buttons should scroll by one character, the bottoms buttons
scroll on a page basis.

Art Changes
* Brood War Icon should display differently than Starcraft Icon on
Battle.net chat interface.
* Chat Client Icon should no longer be the Ghost Icon.
* Some new spell effects for shrines and special abilities have been added.

Skill Changes:
* Starting Radius for Static Field decreased.
* Static Field should no longer go through walls.
* Lightning no longer gets a minimum damage increase per level.
* Charged Bolt's damage has been reduced.
* Increased mana cost by a small percentage for many skills.

Bug Fixes:
* Chat sent from battle.net to a player in a game should no longer be
truncated.
* You can now tab to the character difference level in the Create Game
Dialog Box.
* Town Portals should now display the creator's name.
* Can now move quest items in trade screen when legal to do so.
* MessageLog is now updated on the fly
* Choking Gas and Rancid Gas Potions displayed in hand are now correct.
* Oil and Fulminating Potions have correct Inventory Graphics.
* Players in party of person who solves Horadric Malus Quest must be level 8 or
greater to recieve the reward.
* Warriv's Menu says 'Go East' After you hear the reward speech.
* Palette should be correct if you alt-tab out of the game.
* Players should not be able to get multiple quest items by trading.

Graphics Changes
* Cutscenes in DirectDraw no longer open and close windows between cutscenes.
* Direct3D nVidia Detonator workaround has been removed. You need to have 5.08
Beta Detonator drivers for Direct3D on nVidia chipset cards, but it is MUCH faster.
* You can now adjust the Gamma in DirectDraw
* Gamma now uses the game settings for Battle.net as it does for the game.
* Shadows of characters in Battle.net chat screen should now be correct.
* VidTest.exe has been updated.

If you are playing under Direct3D and have less than 128MB of RAM on your system,
we would encourage you to try playing the game under DirectDraw and see if your
performance improves.

ATTENTION ALL USERS OF TNT,TNT2 and GeForce cards:
In this version of Diablo II Beta if you are using Direct3D and do not have the
5.08 Beta Detonator drivers, all your textures will be garbled. DirectDraw and
Glide users are unaffected.

Detonator 5.08 Beta Drivers may be obtained at:
http://www.3dchipset.com/beta/nvidia/win9x.asp

Version 1.02 to 1.07

* Changes to Battle.net connectivity code to make Diablo II more robust when
losing network connection.

* Corrected Prices of Magic Items.

* Fixed Starcraft Client Avatar in the Battle.net Chat Screen.

Last edited:
I was watching a few videos of others who had tried 1.00. In one of the videos the player retired the character into Act 2 NM . The build was a concentration zealot who was played untwinked.

Even with the tips provided , the player gave up
I thought , is this impossible to get a paladin past act 2 NM?

So instead of playing the usual champion runs with the Sorc , I set off in this untwinked adventure. I ignored the urge to rush him to hell and level him in maggots.

I decided to change the build slightly and make a hybrid.

The plan is for Might/Thorns Zealot with some conversion. Never tried conversion before. I decided against concentration because if I plan to self multi play I think concentration has no AoEon the aura or at least there is nothing in the skill description

Thorns because reflected damage is powerful in 1.00. The IM/BG Necro is very good and Thorns reflects 10x the damage at slvl 20. The conversion may be like getting a few revives. I never tried this skill before so do not know if this will work

5 pts Zeal after +skills for 6 attacks maximum. Zeal attacks is slvl + 1 in 1.00 and if you miss one zeal attacks all the attacks after miss also

Might for ED in party play, Fanaticism does not give ED in 1.00

Defensive auras prayer for party healing and redemption for his healing, a point or few in Meditation, Vigor and Salvation

Early game, get a point in might and one point wonders then get 4 points in Zeal and max Thorns ASAP

Apart of the obvious the key thing about SP 1.00 is unless you do full clears you will lag behind in levels. I found a couple of things . I spent about 16 hours in total to get to Lvl 28 untwinked and defeat big D. Yes that is a long time!

1. I hired a cold merc for Act 1 Normal. With the might aura going, she was actually killing stuff and was somewhat useful until got pwned at the inner cloister waypoint. She level up when I levelled . This happen twice before she sied. But when she killed the monsters that seemed to not drop anything unless they were bosses and champs. I let her basically clear the stony field . I know Mercs are useless in pre 1.07 but that seemed like an interesting bug

2. Levelling in the false tombs in Act 2 and Kurast temples in Act 3. This got me lots of gold and useful stuff so I was able to gamble the basics. But this still takes a long time. I used Kahlims Will to clear the temples . What am awesome weapon in normal for this patch . The zealot kicked butt with this and when he got surrounded, melee packs died to thorns, It meant I just needed to tank with few healing potions

3. This build is not mana dependent so the lack of mana potions is not a problem

4. Would this be effective in a higher players setting , any experience with that

5. Does thorns stack with IM?

6. with a low AR will he hit anything but fresh air in Hell? I am looking for a rare divine spectre with of piercing for ITD . Still havent found one. I thinks spectres can have ITD

7. Following this, will this build be an effective normal cow runner. He could be a rare collector and SoJ hunter.

Any thoughts on this?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High