MFO - a proposal for one rule change / general inquiry about timetable etc.

I'm happy to go along with what ever rules people come up with, November isn't the best time for me but I'll probably give it a go.

I am down for whatever time frame you guys come up with. Looking forward to this, and really hoping my luck will change.

I've been in a slump recently for everything but runes. The MFO will give me some motivation to get some serious runs in. I'm good for almost any time.

I'll have limited time during that window due to coming back from vacation to a very busy work schedule. But I'll definitely make a good faith effort to put in some hours!

I don't feel strongly about the trophy. This is my first MFO, so but one option as a way to keep it but not have it be a barrier for participation is to limit picks for winner (and maybe runner up in each category) to normal S/Us. I notice that a lot of people pick up TC3s for fun; I know I would even during MFO.

And the person whose item is taken has the chance to personalize. I would definitely build a character named PhineasB to take through A5 Normal just to personalize a Biggon's Bonnet if someone claimed a trophy from me. :p And this means it's manageable for people who are worried about tainting their stash -- it's not like you'd need to ever use it but you could still claim it as a trophy.

Winners should not only get to pick trophy items, but could force their vanquished opponents to personalize those items as well! :eek:

Imagine owning "Grape's Griswold's Redemption" .. or "BKC's Bul-Kathos Children" .. or, assuming he could ever be beaten.. "Gripphon's Griffon's Eye" :rolleyes:

I am willing to part with any item i find during the MFO (yes even the ones i never found before) and hold on: "BKC's Bul-Kathos Children" who would want childeren of bul-kathos and the burger king champion?? (except from me then)

Haha, I can definitely see how the trophy claiming could be a funny part of this all.

Maybe try it one more time :)

But keep the discussion going!

Is there a reason to why you can't kill the seal bosses in Chaos sanc? Diablo I can understand why, as he is not lvl 85 but 94, but he is still in a alvl 85 zone

If the prize claiming for the winners stays in, will I have to create a trade profile? It really doesn't matter to me if I have to, but I've never traded.

I'd like to participate as well and timeframe doesn't matter to me, however I don't have a trade profile because I've had zero interest in trading. So if forfeiture of item/s is the rule for this MFO, then I'll still be rooting from the bleachers. If I'm in I believe I will run with my recently Patted Poisonmancer. Maybe I'll actually find a Death's Web for him down in the Pit.

I'd like to participate as well and timeframe doesn't matter to me, however I don't have a trade profile because I've had zero interest in trading. So if forfeiture of item/s is the rule for this MFO, then I'll still be rooting from the bleachers. If I'm in I believe I will run with my recently Patted Poisonmancer. Maybe I'll actually find a Death's Web for him down in the Pit.

There's been couple comments on keeping the looting tradition and I may keep it as well, then.

Yes, then you'd have to make trade profile, just in case.

I've never traded either, but had to make it for the MFO :) Luckily, it's really easy and doesn't take long to do.

No. As a matter of fact the forum rules clearly state that that mod shouldn't even be mentioned here.

Ubers & DClone Mods in Single Player
  • There is a mod which is unsupported on the SPF that enables uber-like monsters in SP
  • The AI is not correctly implimented and the experience is NOT the same as bnet
  • The mod is not supported because it has several other very unwelcome add-ons which are not accepted in the MP/Trade pool
  • There is also an unsupported mod which replicates DClone by turning another monster into it. IE goto Stony Field and Rakiswakyishu is now DClone

If you wish to use those mods and continue MP/trade in the SP(T)F you should:

• Completely back up their characters and stashes
  • Install the mod
  • Kill the ubers/dclone
  • Delete the affected character/stashes
  • Uninstall the mods
  • Restore to the back-ups (pre-mod)
  • Ensure no items/experience has been gained.

Unless you're really tidy about that sort of thing, it is best NOT to use the mods.

If you keep the same character or any items found while using those mods and MP/trade you will be banned from diii.net.

Again what you do on your own machine is fine; so if you withdraw from the MP/trade pool do what you like.

To me it looks like if a player were to use the mod, they just can't trade. If the MFO has no loot stealing, players using the mod would be able to participate?

Well to be completely fair, the name of the mod isn't even mentioned in the rules. So how is someone new to the forum supposed to know exactly what it is referencing? Especially since there's several mods which have similar additions, some without the ones not accepted here. I think the "oh you can't say that" is a very old rule and we should at least be blunt about it. I mean a simple "x mod which adds y content" isn't allowed under "what" circumstances.

Anyhow, I haven't joined any tournaments since I came back. I haven't played my 1.13 characters in awhile, but I've been wanting to boot up my Nova-assassin once again! I might participate if RL doesn't keep me too busy with programming projects :cool:

What if someone uses Plugy and has an anni and a torch. Can they participate in the MFO?

I'm sorry if the rules are unclear - I'll take a look at them. PlugY (and the illegitimate torch and annihilus charms) aren't accepted here, and hence we ask that their use not be discussed.

Heh, good luck for me to ask then. I was about to rush a barbarian and get an illegimate torch and anni, but I guess I won't do that then in order to participate in the MFO.

While im not too familiar with the traditon of taking items from participants and though its very unlikely that i will win, i imagine 2017NovMFO's cracked sash would make an awesome trophy. Too bad d2 wont let us put in more letters...

On that note, any kind of trophy is good for me personally. If we dont want to bother with the trade profiles, perhaps engraving the names oc the winner and runnerups in some hall of fame kind of thread?

Last edited:
I like the hall of fame thread, we have many already (sort of) (grail, 99ers, etc)

Take this opinion with a grain of salt - I have not been active in tournaments in the past, and I do not play much anymore. I may be the only person that feels this way, but I wanted to throw this out there to see what other SPF'ers think.

One thing that everyone has to deal with is RL. I liked competing in events, but I was most interested in ones where each player has 20 hours of play time (or whatever time frame), and could do that over a month. The player would submit one or as many 20-hour segments they'd like (i.e. their best one), but their window was 20 hours, same for everyone. I liked that type better than the tournaments where the player runs as much as RL allows over a X-amount of days, as this in my opinion favors those with more free time. Either way it benefits the more efficient player, but the 20 hour cap balances out the RL commitment demands for the most people.

This does of course come with challenges, as each player is basically on an honor system to limit themselves to 20-hour batches. In general though, a lot of what we do is based on the honor system and I think we're in a good place as far as that goes (i.e. not an issue).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High